Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I'm struggling to wean my son. He's 13 months and just does not want to stop nursing, especially at night. I'm aiming for 2 or 3 feedings a day--morning, evening, and once in the night. He wants to nurse pretty much every 3-4 hours from evening on. (I suspect he'd want to do similarly during the day, but I'm not around.) Frankly, my nipples are no longer up to such frequent feedings, and there's not enough milk anyway.

We've tried giving him milk in a sippy cup or purees in a pouch, but he just pushes them away and screams. He won't take a pacifier either. If I'm there, he refuses anything but the breast. If I'm not, he still screams for about 10 minutes before settling down and accepting milk/food. It's been two weeks though, and I'm sick of sleeping alone on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Lyz posted:

Christopher is cutting three molars and two canines at once (one molar appeared like, overnight).

God help me.

I don't know how old your son is, but mine is rockin' a pair of canines and a molar too and I've found he seems to get a lot of relief from chilled (like in a fridge) jicama wedges. (Seriously.)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

How about tylenol?

I assume that everyone is giving his or her teething child Tylenol and Orajel at regular intervals in addition to the methods suggested here.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Ben Davis posted:

Good for you for assuming?

:confused: I thought you were worried about children not receiving pain medication when appropriate. I'm sorry if I misunderstood.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

raaaan posted:

Okay, so my daughter is about 5 months old. She eats really well all day, but we're running into a problem where the only way she will go back to sleep at night if she wakes up is if we feed her. This wouldn't be a big deal except she is still waking up four or five times a night, and it is getting to the point where she will blaze through three 8oz bottles by morning.

Feeding her cereal before bed doesn't help. She drinks so much at night that even with overnight diapers, she will still pee through them just by sheer volume if we don't change her half way through the night.

I'd really like to get her sleeping through the night, but with how inconsolable she is when she wakes up until food happens, I feel like she's probably picked up a bad habit that's going to be hard to break. Any ideas? Because right now it feels like my only option is to never sleep more than an hour and a half at a time ever again.

Are you sure she's getting enough during the day? Drinking so much and so frequently during the night suggests she's not getting enough during the day, despite what you suggest. Adding cereal to a bottle to help sleep is outdated advice, it won't do anything. Try loading her up in the three or so hours before bed especially. Finally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a 5 month old to sleep completely through the night. Babies wake up at night for a million reasons--gas, teething, loud noise, wet diaper, hungry, growth spurt, illness, light sleeper, the alignment of the moon and Jupiter, etc. You might want to mentally aim for one or two wake-ups during the night instead.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

raaaan posted:

She will usually wake up and immediately start loudly crying. We give her a few minutes before we go over to her. Rubbing her back, talking or singing to her and even picking her up the few times we tried it do nothing, but the bottle is instant silence. She'll drink for a few minutes, in which she drains about half a bottle, then sleep. Repeat 5+ times.

Normally I'd suggest a pacifier, but you said she didn't like those. Maybe try a differently-shaped one or one made of a different material? You could also try having the baby in bed with you. It seemed to help the baby sleep better and it certainly helped me. You could tag-team as well. One parent takes one-half of the night, one parent takes the other.

I wish I had better advice. Waking up that often turned me into a zombie. If it's any consolation, my son eventually grew out of such frequent wake-ups and now sleeps through the night in his own crib in his own room (he's fifteen months).

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

Tim is transparently pale--with the red hair and freckles and blue eyes. Liam is slightly less pale. My ped said gentle, kids or family formula sunblock was okay after 3 months. We use the Banana Boat family, tear free spray, SPF 50. It's a big, yellow can with a blue lid. It really is tear free, Tim has attested. I just liberally spray them down, willy nilly, since I know it won't bother their eyes. It absorbs almost immediately and isn't sticky. Daddy and I use it too. Since they never, ever hold still, it's money well spent that I can cover them in motion. ;)

I just want to echo the awesomeness of spray-on sunscreen, especially for babies. My son too is transparent and if it's more than fifteen minutes in the sun, he gets sprayed.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

In the abstract, I completely agree with you. However my city (like many) has very limited resources for their infant and child early intervention programs. They claim they will assess your child within 30 days of a diagnosis of speech delay, but they aren't actually able to due this because of high demand -- one of the moms in our playgroup waited three months to get her kid assessed. I don't want to be an addition drain on those services if my child isn't really in need of them. But this is veering into the political, so I'll stop there.

But I understand the urge to do as much as possible, and we will definitely do as much verbal enrichment at home as we can!

The rule of thumb I was given by the ped was six words by 18 months. Could be baby talk, signs, or full-on sentences. So if your son says hi, consistently uses wa-wa for water, signs more and mama, and can nod yes and no, he would meet the 18-month development standards here (YMMV). I found this very comforting when my mother insisted my son should be talking in complete sentences at that age.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
When do you start really disciplining your kids, like in the sense of timeouts. My son is 20 months old and I'm not always sure how to respond when he pushes boundaries. For example, this morning he was told not to touch the TV (like every morning), so he grabbed his snack and threw it at the TV.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My 2 yr old has started insisting on sleeping with a sippy cup of milk. He doesn't drink it, he just wants to hold it. Denial results in a huge, thrashing tantrum. How can we break this cycle? We've tried offering a stuffed animal and making sure he has his blanket to no avail. My husband tells me it started shortly after I left for eight weeks (stupid employment). We hoped that my return would naturally end the situation, but no such luck.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Thomase posted:

Crying it out isn't an option?

He has quite the endurance and the neighbors are only so understanding, so straight-up CIO is our very last resort.

Papercut posted:

Why don't you want him sleeping with it?

My only concern is it leaking or he'll wake up six hours and try to drink the milk (which has now been sitting out for six hours). My husband is more concerned about it being some weird emotional connection. (He also cut out the pacifier while I was gone, which I disagreed with, but we've worked that out.)

VorpalBunny posted:

Can you give him an empty sippy cup? Or put something else in it so it has weight, like a sock? Or if he needs some liquid you could give him some reusable ice cubes?

I've tried giving him a sippy cup with water in it, but no dice. It's weird. He wasn't that big of a milk drinker before I left and now it's all he wants.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Papercut posted:

Right but assuming Brennanite is right that he's not drinking it, I don't see the harm.

Brennanite, I second the idea of trying to add some weight to it without actually having any liquid in there. Or alternatively you could get a second lid and just permanently seal the top so that nothing can leak out. As far as emotional attachment, is your husband just philosophically opposed to loveys/blankeys/etc? Parenting is hard enough as it is without picking arbitrary things to refuse your children.

After realizing that I didn't really understand why my husband was opposed to him sleeping w/the milk sippy cup besides my reasons, we talked about it and I understand what's going on now. My husband is really concerned with the milk, not the sippy cup. He's worried the baby is drinking milk for comfort, not because he's thirsty. This, in turn, will doom him to a life of emotional overeating and obesity. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, but we agreed to discuss it at his upcoming appointment with the ped. So far tonight, a sippy cup of water has been accepted.

Being a parent is hard in ways I did not anticipate.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Let's talk potty training. I'm really frustrated and thinking that maybe my son is just not ready. He's 2.5 yrs old, will tell you if he's peed or pooped (as he's going), and will pee happily if you set him on the potty. But he won't tell you if he has to go or if you leave him bare-bummed, he will go where ever he is--even if the potty is right there--and doesn't seemed bothered by it. He's mad he doesn't get a sticker, but that doesn't translate into him trying to make it to the potty. He doesn't want to wear diapers, but again, will pee in his pull-ups or big boy underwear. I set up a sticker chart with a sticker for every time he peed or pooped in the potty; 5 stickers=happy meal, 10=toy car, 15=new book, a whole day=going to the Lego movie. He was enthusiastic for the first hour and loved getting his stickers, but after ninety minutes, he stopped even trying to go and started asking for stickers whenever he went, regardless of whether it was in the potty.

Ugh, sorry for the wall of text, I'm just so sick of having to do combat to put a diaper on him AND having to clean up puddles of pee constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

So don't. Really! ;) Honestly, I would just let it go. He's not ready. Leave him in pull ups and ask him a few times a day if he wants to pee in the potty. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Just roll with it. I also think, and this is just my opinion, that 2.5 is too young for a complex sticker-reward system like that anyway. I don't think they're capable of that much goal setting and delayed gratification. Make the sticker the reward in itself, and if he has a good stretch of effort, surprise him with a Happy Meal or something and tell him it's for being such a big boy on the potty.

There is no set age that is normal, or that they have to be potty trained by anyway. Tim was well past three, but he was ready and (like Ron said above me) he was daytime pee-trained over a couple days. Save yourself the fighting and headaches and just wait longer. Liam will be three in a couple weeks, and aside from asking if he wants to pee before bath and while we're getting dressed, I'm not potty training him with any real effort yet. He's not ready. Sometimes he'll go before bath (Great job, big boy!) and sometimes not. Whatever. I imagine by the end of the summer he'll be daytime pee-trained, and that's cool.

After I posted, he peed straight into his hands and told me he wasn't peeing. That felt like a big, flashing "Not Ready" sign, so I stuck him back in the pullups and we ran some errands. His interest returned after lunch, so maybe I was pushing too hard/much? I think we'll go back to asking him a lot and sitting him on the potty a couple times a day for practice. Also, I like your modified reward plan. I wondered if it was too developmentally advanced, but I have no experience with trying to motivate kids that young.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Re: potty training, we tried having pull-ups and catching our oldest to go to the potty, but it didn't really work. We might grab him before he went but he would just hold it and then go in the diaper. We finally sat him down, and spent some time telling him that we were taking his diaper off and if he pee'd or poo'd he'd get wet / dirty. There were a few accidents, but he really disliked being wet and so very quickly just started going in the toilet.

Agree with the comments that they need to be ready, but if you're willing to leave them uncomfortable in soggy / smelly pants for a bit they'll hopefully realize they don't like it and eventually change their behaviour.

We tried that, but it only lasted for a morning because he'd just come up and ask to be changed. Underwear feels just like a diaper to him, I guess.

Edit: grammar gud