Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My son, Liam, is about 15 months old now and he's been pretty great so far. He wasn't too much of a hassle while teething and has his front 8 teeth already.

The problem we're running into for the last few months is biting. It doesn't necessarily come with tantrums, but it does come with tantrums as well.

When we come home and he runs up to us and bury's his face into our leg.
When we pick him up to sooth him.
After something he shouldn't be playing with is taken away during a tantrum.

Well these are the most likely scenarios and it's about a 50/50 chance.

We've taken different advice from books, family, friends and the internet. We put him down and walked away, hasn't worked. We gently bite back on a clothed area, hasn't worked. We pretended to cry, hasn't worked. We gave him the stern "UH UH" that dissuades him from other activities, but he giggles, laughs and does it again.

We've given each method about 3-4 weeks of solid continued attempts and he still bites family and friends. I've had teeth marks on me that have lasted for days.

Is there a better solution? We don't want to keep his pacifier in all day and he doesn't seem to be teething at the moment. We're just very bruised and worried about him interacting with cousins the same age at Christmas gatherings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't bite back in play. That is the wrong thing to do. Interrupt whatever stimulation causes biting.

Embarrassingly it was my parents that gave the advice. We do notice the general head movement, he still gets in there now and then though.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My son (23 mos)... well he's a biter. Not just a biter, but an angry potentially sociopathic biter. His natural reaction to pain, anger or frustration is to lash out with either his mini talons or his teeth.

For example, my wife is pregnant again, we went out to the maternity store to buy her some new duds and he was getting restless inside so I took him out for a walk. We were walking and he fell, scraped his face a little and when I went to comfort him not only did he give my lip a nice gash with his nails but also bit into my shoulder.

It didn't break the skin this time but it has previously. We've tried voicing our pain, we've tried "crying" but generally this just results in laughter.

What can we do? Because there's nothing scarier than a child with a full set of teeth and no empathy.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Brennanite posted:

My 2 yr old has started insisting on sleeping with a sippy cup of milk. He doesn't drink it, he just wants to hold it. Denial results in a huge, thrashing tantrum. How can we break this cycle? We've tried offering a stuffed animal and making sure he has his blanket to no avail. My husband tells me it started shortly after I left for eight weeks (stupid employment). We hoped that my return would naturally end the situation, but no such luck.

Crying it out isn't an option?

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

Do you discipline him when he does it, like time-outs or removal of toys or denial of treats or anything like that?

Yes, we sit him on his bum. Ignore any tantrums until he has calmed down. When he's calmed down, we ask if he is all done, he does his hand thing and he can resume activities.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

skeetied posted:

Can you substitute in something that's okay to bite? Does he have his molars in yet? We have these toothbrushes that ZoLi makes that we offer if my 18 mo old is feeling bite-y and tell him that it's not okay to bite people, but it is okay to bite the toothbrushes or a wash cloth or a teething toy. I've been told before that a need for that kind of oral stimulation is pretty normal in a toddler and it's just about redirecting the need for the sensation.

He actually has all of his teeth right now. Or from what I dare look at up close. There definitely isn't any complaints from him otherwise. But yeah, trying to redirect his biting to another source wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Taking away a comfort item and then making your child cry it out because you arbitrarily decided he shouldn't have a/that comfort item is super lovely, hth.

A comfort item is fine but the person isn't asking about a stuffed animal. They're talking about a liquid that could spill or curdle. I wouldn't want my son drinking something in the middle of the night without me being aware enough to help if he started choking. Sorry if that seems super lovely to you. My son threw tantrums when being put to bed EVERY NIGHT at a certain age so we let him cry it out and each night we did it he fell asleep faster. He now looks forward to bed and curls up with a stuffed manatee.

Regardless, the person asking answered and it's not an option.

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

Schweig und tanze posted:

I know I wouldn't want my kid to turn into a psychopathic (or was it sociopathic?) biter, but I'm glad CIO worked for your family.

e: Not sure what your issue is. Crying it out worked well for us after a few months of bed time tantrums and he sleeps soundly through the night.

Seeing as the symptoms of biting started well before he adjusted to falling asleep on his own I'm not sure why you would assume that one thing directly caused the other.

But hey, feel free to be snarky for whatever reason. Later.

Thomase fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 21, 2013

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
I'm going through a divorce and have a 4 and 1 year old which I have shared access.

We've gotten through many hurdles moving from a home to a one bedroom apartment (all I can afford) and the sleeping arrangements are working exceptionally well now. My eldest no longer has accidents and he feels comfortable sleeping in my home. My youngest, he's no longer waking up at 2, 3, 4, and 5 with tantrums. Both sleep in considerably well, sleeping from 7:30 pm to either 6 am to 7 am. It was rough as they both co-sleep with their mother at her parents home.

What I need help with is discipline. Their mother is very much the threaten and not follow-through type, so I need to keep re-establishing my ground rules. I have very straight forward ground rules for my home... hands to ourselves, sharing, listening (no talking back), and keeping the noise level appropriate indoors. 95% of the time, amazing boys, but that 5% of the time I need to work hard to keep composure.

I have two problems... having a quiet spot where my youngest doesn't interrupt or distract my oldest is near impossible. He just wants to play with his brother which I love, but when my oldest gets hyper and attention keeps being fed to him he sees being disobedient as a game (he's a kid, duh). I don't want to have time outs in a separate room but I don't see another choice when he gets amped up.

My second issue is with my youngest. His way of dealing with frustration is dropping to his knees and hitting his fore head on the floor. I try to prevent it as much as possible, if I pick him up and put him in a chair he slides off and continues. If I hold him and console him he tries to head butt me. He's gotten me really good a few times as well. Last week he had an episode while we were leaving for school and he started hitting his head after getting his jacket on. While no actual damage was done, he had a bloody nose which gushed all over his jacket, clothes, me, the floor...

My questions to the thread are, is there any really recommended reading material on parallel parenting or parenting after a separation? Is there any recommendations for a head banger other than patience?

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009

BonoMan posted:

For the record, I talked to my pediatrician today about the head banging and he basically said it's a normal phase and that, when it's safe to do so, see if you can just ignore it as it's usually a cry for attention (evolved from the parental protection of a baby's head I guess?).

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomase
Mar 18, 2009
My children have made friends within our neighbourhood. One of their best friends, who I think is a great kid, has a brother.

I'm pretty certain that the brother has developmental disabilities. This generally isn't a concern since my son has ADHD.

The challenge is that the parents keep sending out the brother and his behaviour is frustrating my kids. They ended up having a run-in with him yesterday after trying to get back an item of theirs before coming back in the house. Derogatory words were shared by the brother and he indicated that he never wanted to speak with them again. Of course this morning the brother is calling my apartment and asking them to play again. But my kids need a break.

I ended up reaching out to the parents and letting them know about the situation. I really haven't had a chance to speak with him prior to this but let them know that my kids needed some time to chill out. And I was worried about this being a major issue but parents already called me back and mentioned that they spoke to their son. They hope that it won't impact friendships.

I'm guessing that at some point if this continues to be an issue I'll have to tell them that they no longer want to spend time with his brother. He's generally okay outside of when he gets in his moods. But his moods aren't something they should have to deal with. Any suggestions otherwise how to handle the issue?