Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does anyone have good burping technique for newborns? My wife and I can barely get him to burp when he is bottle feeding 95% of the time, then he gets gassy and cries because he can't burp. I'm still having alot of difficulty getting him to stay up on my shoulder, he just starts kinda slurping down and I can't get him back up for pats and rubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hadlock posted:

This method worked really well for us

Also, you can put the baby on your knee and sort of rock them back and forth, side to side on your knee in a circular motion at maybe a 30 degree angle to kind of help the bubble work it's way up. Some times if burping in one position didn't work, giving them a brief twirl would work the bubble loose. I'm not sure why this worked, maybe it was the involuntary muscle contraction of trying to remain upright or what, but seemed to work very very well

yeah this happened. Got one burp on the lap, couldn't get any more, put him in a couple another positions and going back to the lap he just burped before we began. First time I ever got burps out of him.

now if I can successfully swaddle without his arms magically popping out I will feel like a read dad.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

We're changing out newborn boy with little doggy wee wee pads underneath him, because he likes to pee AND poop more after we start changing him.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ah, first time to deal with poop all the way to the back of the neck. Two baths in 3 hours can't be that bad, buddy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

This may sound stupid but...are you sure it is theirs? I thought my son grew a very long nose hair overnight and it turned out to be my chest hair got in there when I was burping him.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sharkytm posted:

We use Baby Daybook.

I also got this from this thread recommendation, I really liked it enough to pay for the premium version. Easy to use, helps me see what their formula/milk ratio is and help tracks poops.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

D34THROW posted:

Poor #2 just hit the tail end of hyperfixation on death and now he's still occasionally panicking from it at night, but he's quickly adapted to "up at night = Relaxing Guitar Covers on Spotify". Listens on the Echo Dot in our room. So last night when he woke up at 11 and said "I feel like I've been asleep the whole night till 5"...Relaxing Guitar Covers it is. I feel for him, I do, just...frustrating.

Oooh, so I wasn't the only little kid who stayed up at night thinking about death. "I've only got like 80 years left here, that's too little!"...I still kinda think this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

a podcast for cats posted:

Quoting myself from almost a year ago. The same thing is still going on to some extent. She's going through phases of rejecting English media completely and then she finds a show she likes and sticks with it for a little while, like getting hung up on a couple specific episodes of Bluey or Peppa Pig.

I'm vaguely concerned, because it seems to be inhibiting her from playing with other kids at the playground or at preschool. They'd want to play and she runs away saying she doesn't want to speak English with them. Or, when it's time for her preschool, she objects saying that she doesn't want to go and speak English there. Covid related daycare closures and social distancing rules haven't helped things either.

On the other hand, her listening and comprehension skills, vocabulary and ability to express herself in Latvian have all grown tremendously, a bit beyond what you'd expect from a three year old. We went home for a holiday and she had no issues playing or communicating with her cousins and other kids, so I'm not too worried. I'm sure it will work itself out in time, but I do have some doubts here and there. And, of course, a little concerned about the development of socials skills.

Hopefully you can keep giving updates on things like this. For me, I'm going to be the only person speaking English to him, so I wonder how he will react when we finally get to the pre-school age and there will (hopefully) be more English and english speakers for him to communicate with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

illcendiary posted:

My three month old laughed for the first time last night. It surprised both him and us (I think he laughed because we were laughing at a joke and he got excited?) and yes, that is definitely one of the best things that has happened to me in my life.

we just got the first "shrieking with happiness" laugh from just holding his hands. It is much more fun than the shrieking of sadness, which happened in the tub an hour before.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

When my daughter was still in diapers, we knew we'd have a lovely diaper whenever she toddled to certain spots. In our house if she went behind the couch, we knew one would be waiting. At my grandmother's house, if she wrapped herself in the curtains between the couch and recliner, same deal. They're basically cats.

When my twin brother and I were toddlers my mom said we would both baby talk to each other, then crawl together behind the recliner and take shits.

I'm having my thanksgiving meal a day late so in-laws can be there to experience their first american-style thanksgiving meal, and I can't wait to just have my baby there even though he can't eat any of it yet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I made some applesauce and pureed carrots for a first test of real food for the 4-month old. He was really confused at the applesauce at first but then couldn't get enough - if we weren't shoveling more into his mouth RIGHT NOW time to cry. Carrots were also enjoyed.

Next week we try sweet potatoes and broccoli, somethings with a less sweetness. Along with good results on eating and him desperately crying to crawl when he flips over, I just feel very lucky about his progress and growth. Hasn't ever been sick yet too, just waiting for that day so I can feel so anxious and worried.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baby did a great job falling asleep through all the fireworks at 12 AM, but fifteen minutes later when my knee cracks walking around with him we get a meltdown.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah my kid just turned six months and now whenever they're near a keyboard or phone they just start whacking it. My apartment has handicap accessible handles on all the doors and toilets so when we're walking down the hallway he'll reach out and try to grab on.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

L0cke17 posted:

How much hair do your kids have that they need multiple haircuts before 15 months??????

Ours is almost 2 and barely had enough hair to consider cutting

I felt very self conscious at the hospital when it seemed like every baby had a full head of hair and mine was as bald as me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

7 1/2 months old and now my baby is getting fussy with milk. Since the new year began he drank his bottle like a champ but the past two weeks he fights after about halfway, every time. No change in formula or bottle. He is usually getting two meals of real food a day but he still cries like he wants his bottle...but then gives up much earlier. Only when he's incredibly sleepy will he knock down the whole thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That is the plan that we have with our kid - my wife will speak Chinese (and Taiwanese) to him, while I speak English. I still have some concerns about his English development over the next year (he's 7 months now, so there is nothing yet) because during the day he is being watched by the in-laws who don't speak English. As much as I care about making sure he has his English, I am also worried about his Chinese reading and writing. When I teach bilingual kids in high school here, who were in bilingual English/Chinese schools from pre-school, many of them felt like their Chinese writing ability has suffered compared to their peers. And as far as I can tell, that ability comes from the very traditional Taiwanese educational system where you are just practicing characters over and over from kindergarten till high school.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just saw my baby pull himself up from a sitting position to hold on to the top of the crib. Never had done it before, never even tried it before. Thank God I was taking video so my wife can see it when she gets home.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just went through the first illness with my kid. Took 9 months to finally get sick, but it happened. Poor little guy did not have fun taking his medicine. Can't wait to do this several more times over the next several years.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hadlock posted:

Ugh if "tonsil stones" pops up in your search auto-complete, do not go for the Google image search :barf:

Yeah it's just pictures of that one time Ted Cruz ate one during a debate.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If we end up having twins when we try for the next one I will convince my wife to name them Dave and Thomas so people think:

1. I love Wendy's
2. I love Bob and Doug Mackenzie

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 2 year old has decided that 4am is the ideal time to wake up :doggo:

My 11 month old woke up at 6, then rolled around a bunch in our bed and went back to sleep until 830. What a miracle!

Other than the fact my mother in-law got covid last week so I'm watching him while I teach online classes. For the most part, he has been calm, but the longer this keeps going I'm afraid of a freakout.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

remigious posted:

Dang it I keep buying my guy stuffed animals because they are cute and I’m a sucker but he doesn’t care about them at all.

My parents got my child a Vermont Teddy Bear day 1. It sat in a corner for 10 months until he noticed it, now he loves it and tried to sleep on it, which is a bit difficult because it is kinda hard and lumpy.

He likes all bears. Bears on the TV, bears in a book. We have a poster of the Bear Who Drive Car from Clerks: the animated series framed next to our front door, every time we come home we say hello and he whacks it. Sometimes he just looks at it and starts clapping and laughing. It will be sad when he one day just doesn't like it anymore.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Amazing at 13 months I finally realized that our crib has wheels so we can just rock the baby to sleep. Why had I not put two and two together here earlier, such a game changer for how quickly the battle ends.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone have advice for first time swimming? Kid is 14 months and we're going to a baby spa just to test out playing in the water (not a pool, its basically just a hot tub with clear sides.) If they like doing that then I want to start doing more "real" swimming lessons soon. I'd been waiting until they got at least 2 covid shots.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

unknown posted:

This advice is probably void if your last name is Phelps.

Overall I would call it a success. He had one a little swimming ring like this:

And then the big tub was filled with balls, little floaty toys that make music when they float around, and little fountain makers. The first five minutes were crying and then it clicked and he was happy. Perhaps because he realized that if he really stretched his tippy toes could touch the bottom. We signed up for another session next month.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

fourwood posted:

Oh poo poo my baby just learned to walk. :toot:

Congratulations, I am still waiting. He's 15 months now, and for the past 3 months he has just asked to be walked everywhere (we hold his hands and he stumbles on with us as support.) I see him sometimes trying to move on his own but he just can't get the balance right. Doctor said to not be worried but I can't help but be worried when it seems like every other baby I see at his age is there already.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Last night I was so happy when the kid went to sleep earlier than usual. And then they woke up after a half hour, screaming, and didn't stop for an hour.

At least I don't have daylight savings time here

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Congratulations, I am still waiting. He's 15 months now, and for the past 3 months he has just asked to be walked everywhere (we hold his hands and he stumbles on with us as support.) I see him sometimes trying to move on his own but he just can't get the balance right. Doctor said to not be worried but I can't help but be worried when it seems like every other baby I see at his age is there already.

month later update: I think yesterday we finally turned a corner. He's trying to walk more on his own but still likes to grab hands most of the time. When he wants to move he'll crawl over, throw my phone/remote out of my hand and demand a walk. We're going 13-15 steps and able to stop and change direction.

He can now also put the toys back in the box (when he wants to.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My stepmom threw away my Soul Calibur II shirt without telling me, the one I got for preordering the game at GameStop, the one with Ivy on the front in all her S&M glory, so I can relate

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oh god he just learned that fingers can fit in noses

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shifty Pony posted:

He can now open the gates.

gotta go Marc maron on their rear end

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Booked the tickets to see my family in the summer. 15 hours flight there, 16 hours back. And I'm not even including the time to get from the airport and being there.

I await this hell, that cost me several thousand dollars

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

King Hong Kong posted:

I go out of my way to maintain my status at a legacy airline because it makes flying with kids slightly more convenient. The thought of flying on random seats with Spirit sounds like hell.

When I booked my tickets (this is with EVA Air) the option of selecting seats, someone mentioned up thread it was 120 bucks total to select 3 seats. For me, it would have been 120 bucks...each...one way. I am not joking about this. This is us flying with a child who will still be 1 on the flight there and 2 on the way back. I made them make a note in the booking order about us being a family, and I hope that will be enough or I there will be alot of yelling on a plane.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My 18 month old is having multiple meltdowns because we're:

not letting him play with the power strip
not letting him play with the medical kit
not letting him play with the cockroach trap
trying to give him some banana to eat

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

get them while they're sleeping

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm friends with a couple that have two kids. The first was born Sept 2021 and the second was born Sept 2022. They decided it was better to just get them both done as closely as possible so you don't get the whiplash of going back to square 1.

We would like to have the 2nd next year, but I don't think that is possible until we move. Can't do another round of carrying babies and strollers up a 4th floor walk up at the same time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

my child is now addicted to cheerios

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

remigious posted:

Our dog bit our son while my mom was babysitting while I was at my friend’s funeral. I had to leave the funeral and go home and take son to the emergency room. 4 hours later he gets staples in his head. This loving sucks. The little dude will be ok, but I obviously need to rehome the dog asap. gently caress I’m just so sad.

This happened to my parents dog Candide before I was born. Bit my older sister, went to the grandparents, never to return.

It sucks but you're doing the right thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Renegret posted:

So we've been struggling with poop on the potty. He's 4 now but has been withholding since 18 months. We decided to rip the band-aid off, no more pull ups, and if he needs to poop then we sit on the potty for however long we need. He knows when he needs to poop, he just tries to not do it. It's been 3 weeks of this with mixed success.

When I was in 2nd grade I thought if I just held it in long enough I would never poop and my body would learn how to remove all waste from peeing.

Kids are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Renegret posted:

My kid has way too many toys, it's a problem.

And yet all they want to do is take all the flip flops and put them in a line