Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I had one until I was in my twenties, when a doctor cut it during an unrelated surgery, without serious issue. It depends on the severity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I am envious of those for whom shifts worked.

We tried it for a few nights but our son was frequently most fussy at night for the first month or so. Neither of us was fully able to deal with crying and screaming for longer than an hour by ourselves without some assistance.

After that terrible first month, he started to become a very good sleeper and shifts became obsolete anyway.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

NYTimes has a map that shows COVID risk by county for an unvaccinated individual: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-risk-map.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Basically looks at case counts and trends to estimate how much COVID spread there is. This is better than vaccination rate because it's actually measuring how much the unvaccinated are getting and spreading COVID, which is what you care about for an unvaccinated kid.

Personally I will not be bringing my kid to grocery stores or other public indoor places until my county is low risk (or he is vaccinated), though I'm not strongly raising my eyebrows at those who would.

We’re in an “extremely high” county and moving to another “extremely high” county in a different state at the end of the summer. I foresee numerous additional two week daycare closures in our future...

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

2DEG posted:

Baby will be fine, you might be a blubbery mess.

Second kid started about 1.5 months ago and we're on cold/runny nose #2. He came down with the first one at the end of his first week and gave it to my mother in law just before she left. A fitting send off.

The first two colds ours had hit me much worse than they hit him. I was knocked out for two weeks at one point with one of the worst colds I can remember.

Eating can be a problem at first too.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Edit: and just found out a friend he had a play date with had a fever for a day but they thought she was just getting a molar in. Im guessing he just caught a bug but still will call to be sure. Other big thing is keeping the baby away so he doesn’t get it.

Isn’t there no support for the idea that teething causes fevers (>100.4 degrees)? Why do people still believe this?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

remigious posted:

The baby Tylenol was a good call, thanks everyone :) I don’t know why the internet at large is so anti-medication when it’s such a simple and proven solution.

I wish we lived in a world where people accepting proven medication could be taken for granted but alas…

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Within two days of starting a new daycare following our 1200 mile move, he gets sick. :waycool:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Sure as poo poo, 2 weeks into daycare and all three of us have a headcold. We both tested negative on the binax take home test, and nobody has a fever, but man even if it’s not COVID, it shows how easy a virus can spread.

Also, people were lying about the incredible amounts of snot coming from an ittybitty cute nose.

Any time I see a kid at daycare with a runny nose, I figure I have four or five days before I am sick.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Checking in to the RSV crew and boy is it awful.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Hoping that they sleep in is basically a guarantee that they will wake up early.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Our son preferred cold, straight out of the fridge formula!

But yes, if you are mixing it up, it is preferable to do a large quantity at once in a mixer which gives a better mix than doing a small amount in a bottle anyway. I used ~30 oz boiling water (I don’t think it is necessary for it to be boiling but it is way more convenient than boiled/distilled) and then put the various bottles in the fridge and threw anything out after 24 hours or, if he had had any of the bottle, an hour.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 13, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

We use Huckleberry and, although we don’t really need to use it anymore, it continues to get updates like better support for solid foods and a better view for the sleep summary. I ended up getting a one year subscription when they made the sweetspot a premium feature. I’m not sure that is amazing value but it also didn’t exactly break the bank either. If I had a three month old, I’d probably pay for the subscription again.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 19, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Someone gave us a non-brand name forehead thermometer that, while I’m sure isn’t perfectly accurate, works surprisingly well, is very easy to use, and is definitely good enough to indicate that a baby has a fever.

But I’ve also forehead thermometers that are way off like one that said I had a temperature of 106 when I was perfectly fine and another that gave identical readings for five different people and had inscrutable controls.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The three kings are better than the odd and incoherent agglomeration of traditions that Santa represents so if I were to lie, the choice is clear.

E: The weird representation of Santa as a feudal lord who despises abnormality in the 1964 ”Rudolph” TV special is hilarious though.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 10, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Love to have our son get sick right before the long weekend and then have him constantly cough and sneeze in my face so that I’ll be sick for the next week!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I’m not a physician, but my understanding is that the vast majority of SIDS deaths occur before 6 months and the peak is between 2 and 4 months.

That being said, we didn’t want to take any risk and went the route of extra caution vis-a-vis sleeping arrangements with the exception of switching to sleeping in a different room at 6 months.

I think the guidance on solids in the US is much more variable than that on SIDS. Honestly, it anecdotally feels very common to start at 5 months.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

King Hong Kong posted:

Love to have our son get sick right before the long weekend and then have him constantly cough and sneeze in my face so that I’ll be sick for the next week!

Lol I was optimistic about “the next week.” At least he was fine.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Of course now would be the time that everyone in daycare gets gastroenteritis (or something), including all of us.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

External Organs posted:

WTF you too?? My wife and I are a barf ouroborous

I’ve spent the whole morning on the toilet and/or wishing for death. Weirdly, other than vomiting up his milk in the morning, our son seems fine so far.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

External Organs posted:

Yo, parent goons that also had GI poo poo this week: turns out mine is covid after all.

In the end, the three of us and my parents who were visiting all got sick. Ours was not COVID.

I finally could stomach most of a normal lunch but I don’t look forward to dumping all the leftover food out of the fridge that no one could eat.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Things that come out of a toddler's mouth that am adult would never say: "Uh-oh, my penis. It's big!" (this was in the bathtub tonight). For some reason he likes his junk to be small.

My wife had a friend with a toddler a few years ago who proudly announced to us all that “it big!”

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is there any pointers in helping a baby start walking? Ours was quick to crawl, sit and stand, but she won’t take more than a few steps with a walker before plopping down. I know I should let it come naturally, but my wife and I were both walking by 1 year, and she is one year and one week.

I wouldn’t really worry about it now to be honest. It is perfectly natural to start walking later. Ours started taking steps at 13 months and then switched to almost exclusively walking at 15 months.

He wasn’t really into walkers at all for what it’s worth.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 7, 2022

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

With pediatric care, I think we’ve had a fairly different experience with PAs (all of whom have been great thus far) vs. MDs (including an anti-masker, one who prescribed a medication not recommended for children as young as ours, and one who did the aforementioned croup script).

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Two naps was pretty good. I think we got a 1 hour nap followed by a 2 hour nap for the first part of that phase and then a 2 hour nap followed by a 40 minute nap for the second part of that phase.

One nap is horrible when it is too cold to go outside and you are just stuck for a five or five and a half hour wake window.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

I was sure we all got COVID this week but it was Influenza A instead. I’m sure that as soon as this hell is finally over we’ll get the former.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What the gently caress, they actually test people for other things than Covid where you're at?

It’s a new single PCR test for Influenza A and B, COVID, and RSV. This is at a rural (but good) clinic so I’m surprised it isn’t more widely used.

Sorry to hear about the HFM!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

We got the flu (positive for influenza test) from daycare and were out a week and less than two weeks later, we got a cold from daycare (negative for COVID, RSV, influenza). Within two days of returning to daycare from the cold, we got informed someone had a positive COVID test so now they are closed for ten days.

Just convert the daycare into a health care facility or infectious disease lab at this point.

Maybe I’ll be able to actually work in a few months.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Lmao two weeks of daycare closure and all the kids in the room are sick again after a single day back.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

We flew with a 17 month old last month and uh… I would not recommend it.

Well, in truth it was mostly fine except that we can’t fly anywhere we want to go without a connecting flight, which meant his nap should have started during boarding on each of the second flights. This, as you might imagine, did not go well.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Vorkosigan posted:

:yeah:

Every time I read The Continuing Adventures of Shittiest Partner, my desire to hear him losing teeth on a curb intensifies.

He somehow manages to get worse and worse every time.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Emily Spinach posted:

I think "baby having a random day of fever" is just going to be our sign that she's caught something new from daycare and we should be prepared to get sick too.

Pretty much.

Our son got sick again over the weekend (as did I a few days later). My wife took him to the clinic on Monday since he seemed to have an ear infection and apparently he tested positive for a coronavirus which (may have) caused a pandemic… 130 years ago. I don’t think I’ve ever been tested to discover which virus caused a cold.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

These dang kids got me sick again. They both had another respiratory infection turned ear infection, and then I got it. Lost my voice on Sunday, it’s very hard to parent when you can only whisper. Last night I slept for all of one hour before being woken up by my ear popping, then a bunch of ear juice leaking on my pillow. It kept popping and leaking all night, I didn’t sleep at all, ended up calling in sick AGAIN. Daughter was wide awake from 2-4am and ended up screaming about wanting a particular blanket, and waking up the baby. They slept for another hour before it was time to get up. Took the now healthy kids to daycare and took myself to urgent care and my ear drum is perforated, and apparently bubbling. Got in a nice couch nap though.

I’m kind of surprised the build up to your perforated ear drum wasn’t more painful. I’ve had that happen three times and it was terribly painful each time.

I feel like I was this close to ear infection #3 for the year with the last illness. I can’t wait for the weather to improve (also because it’s like 8 degrees outside right now lol).

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

cailleask posted:

Colds are back in style, I guess?

If so, this is one thing I wish I hadn’t been at the avant-garde of for the past year.

Speaking of which I think another daycare cold just hit lol.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Can't wait to do this several more times over the next several months or weeks.

Fixed that for you.

I think I joined the weird voice loss illness crew today.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

What illness is it this time? Strep throat.

I fondly remember the halcyon days of going a month without an illness.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I would like to return the "one nap per day DLC" I accidentally purchased, who do I talk to

The devs have heard your complaints and an upcoming patch will drop the nap mechanic.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

How do you keep getting sick? How?!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Someone gave me the advice of needing lots of energy drinks during the first month and boy was he ever right.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Love it when they scream and flail for the first nineteen doses of medicine and then calmly accept the final dose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Wife and infant both have Covid. Me and the toddler don’t.

Should I get the toddler his first vaccine tomorrow or wait? I guess one thing I’m
Worried about is if he could be positive and I give him the vaccine. He was tested again today and was negative but you never know.

If it were me, I’d probably call the office to ask for their advice first but I know that isn’t necessarily practical.