Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Maybe the kid wanted to watch the scary teddy bear game after the party and the mum was pissed off at having to explain why she thought it was inappropriate ('but Bobby gets to watch it!' kind of thing). I have no idea what 5 nights at Freddys is at all but I know my kid can't handle anything even remotely scary and even explaining why he would find something scary can be enough to make him dwell on killer zombies or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
We got the kids their own tablets, they are 5 and nearly 3. When my husband got an ipad for christmas last year the two of them were constantly wanting to have shots of it and it seemed more sensible to spend £35 each on a kindle fire for them rather than risk them breaking the more expensive ipad. For what they use them for the kindle fires are more than enough and so far nothing broken.

They are limited to only playing them for a while in the time after dinner and before bed, and sometimes when the youngest is being a nightmare to get to sleep I put one of the 6 hour Brahms baby music videos and stick it down the side of the bed which helps keep her settled.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
When he was 3 my son called all liquids in a glass bottle "daddy juice".

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Hdip posted:

At what point do I have to worry my 18 month old is addicted to pain medicine? She had a fever for a few days and was getting liquid advil a couple times per day per doctors orders. Last night and tonight she ran over to where the bottle is kept trying to get some. :-)

It's because it's so god drat delicious. My kid develops a limp when he sees the bottle of calpol (UK version of a paracetamol based childrens medicine) and pathetically whispers that a little bit of medicine might help his very sore leg.

I also remember when I was a child my brother woke up early one morning so he could go and drink the calpol. And one time I had a full on meltdown because I wanted a cat and my parents didn't want to get one so my mum gave me some calpol to calm me down (this was 30 odd years ago) then my brother had a meltdown because I got medicine and he didn't.

re Potty training. It's awful and I think the only way to deal with it is to resign yourself to a good chunk of time at home and lots and lots of dirty washing. I've been thinking lately about how time is running out so we have to be sure we don't want more children and the thought of potty training again sealed the deal of nope, definitely done with the childbearing. My daughter was awful to start with but after a few weeks got the hang of it. She won't poo in the toilet though, just at night when she's wearing nappy pants, but she's now taken to pooing then taking the nappy pant off and throwing it into the corner of her room/over the gate. She's had a bug the last few days and last night at some point in the middle of the night did a runny poo, so she took her pyjama bottoms off and presumably went back to lying in her now poo poo covered bed for the rest of the night before coming up this morning to get into our bed. Children are so awful.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 17, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I love the baby stage but I think part of it stems from hating pregnancy so much, so the first few months I feel so much happier just because I can actually sleep properly (when I get the chance) and don't have heartburn all the time. No one else I know feels like that though, most people see it as a stage to be endured.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Kids are all different. There's every chance that if you had had a second child in your previous relationship and brought them up identically to your eldest they would be needing a different level of discipline and correction.

Also make sure that you and your new partner are on the same wavelength regarding what is a disciplinary matter and what isn't - when my now husband and I got together there were times when we would have to have conversations because I felt like he was trying to enforce rules that I didn't want to have enforced.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'd stop comparing the three year old to a six year old - there's going to be a huge difference and expecting them to be the same at remembering all the social rules is going to lead to frustration.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Axiem posted:

I hate to keep saying it, but once all this finishes and we move in and get enough boxes unpacked to feel moved in, I think things will get so much better.

Just keep repeating that to yourself, like a mantra. It sounds supremely stressful and I don't have any real advice but remember that it is temporary and it will be over. Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, remember the kids won't go feral with a short period of too much TV/not enough vegetables, and once it is all sorted organise a night away with your wife if that is possible.

When my youngest was born there was a load of stress because I had to go into hospital (which was 100 miles away) for two and a half weeks before she was born, then she was stuck in special care for another 11 days after. We had three kids at home including a just turned two year old and were meant to be moving house the week after I got sent in. It was awful for me stuck so far away and not able to do anything, even worse for my husband who had to work/organise people to look after the children /cook and clean as well as pack, sort out the old place and drive the 200 mile round trip every couple of days to visit until I got out. The kids had Happy Meals twice a week and pizza or chicken nuggets for every other meal, and slept in the livingroom watching TV all night while I was away but once order was returned there weren't any lasting scars. That was three years ago now and it's just a dim memory.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I think it depends really, could the neighbour hear what you were arguing about and just called the police because you were disturbing them by being noisy? Then yeah it was possibly over the top and they could have just come round to ask you to keep it down (but disturbing the neighbours is also a bit inconsiderate if it was late).

If they couldn't tell what the argument was about and thought it was a domestic violence incident then they were right to call the police. People who genuinely think someone is in danger of being hurt should always call the police rather than minding their own business and keeping their nose out of it. Part of the problem with domestic abuse is that so many people don't think they should get involved.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I just can't imagine how heated an argument about glue could get, but then my brother told me he and his wife had a full on screaming fight about whether Edith from Downton Abbey was a terrible person or not so I don't know. We tend to huffs rather than fights which certainly isn't a healthier way to deal with conflict but is a lot quieter.

Regarding homework - I think it depends on the age of the child and the kind of homework it is. Certainly here there is an expectation that the parents will be helping for some of the larger projects and when you've been sitting for 3 hours while your kid insists on drawing every blade of grass separately giving a helping hand is the only way to get it done and still get to bed before midnight. Really for me it depends on the scale of the homework, building space rockets and Egyptian thrones I expect I'll be getting quite involved, drawing a picture or something simple I'll be hands off and just supervising.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

Is anyone here parenting older kids? I have a 16 year old foster daughter who I am struggling with sometimes but I don't want to derail baby/toddler/young kid chat.

I have a 13 year old and 19 year old (both boys) as well as the 5 year old and 3 year old.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said they were both great kids but we just got back from a family holiday which was the first time we'd spent an extended period with my 19 year old for a while (he moved out about 2 years ago, we see him once a week or so so it's not like we're estranged but he just comes round for dinner or occasionally to sleep) and my god he was a butt head. Fine most the time but at least once a day some stupid inconsequential thing would turn into a massive argument. Him and my sister had a screaming match about whether the cocktail was called Sex on the Beach or Love on the Beach at the resort we were staying in. He wanted to climb the massive mountain behind the hotel, i said it wasn't a good idea with young kids (it was a craggy grapnel mountain rather than a nice gentle path mountain) so he yelled about how we were ruining everything by being so stupid then vanished for 6 hours. With no phone, no water, no sun lotion and in jeans. While I was trying to work out how to find dead bodies half way up mountains in foreign countries he appeared back wearing some random guys shorts and a back redder than a lobster. I read an article in the Guardian that talked about the hypothalamus reaction that gets a bit wonky in teenagers which sounded about right - It's like his hackles were always on the verge of being raised.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

That makes sense. I think I'm struggling because 16 y/o and I have only known each other since August, and she's only been living with me since the end of January.

We are very close, but just starting to exit the honeymoon phase. It's amazing the number of small irritating things one individual can do in a single day :rolleyes: She threw away all my forks because she was too lazy to wash them. She lost an expensive TI calculator a friend of mine bought her for math class. She destroyed half the clothing she owns with abuse and harsh dryer cycles. Uggggghhhh

At the same time she is smart, and sweet, and evilly sarcastic and we get along like matches and fire crackers, so I guess we will figure it out.

Plus apparently we now say "I love you" when I come in to say goodnight :kimchi:

That all sounds like stuff my teenager would do. Also he has an astonishing lack of common sense at times, sometimes I honestly wonder how he manages to remember to put his pants on before his trousers every day (that probably won't translate well - what do Americans call mens underwear?). And a level of confidence in his own judgement that you could bounce rocks off, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but can be frustrating when you're trying to explain why something might not be a good idea (see mountain climbing example).

With the terrible moods, most the time he is fine. I bitched about the holiday but if I actually made a tally of how often one of them did something horrible the two little ones would win by a mile, it's just a lot easier to deal with when they are young because you are allowed to be in complete control. With a teenager it's more a negotiation of what control they are willing to accede to you and how to try and balance it all out with their desire for autonomy. I can only imagine how much more difficult that must be when it is a teenager that you haven't been building that relationship with from birth. But what you're doing is amazing, and don't feel bad about being frustrated and annoyed sometimes - I think having a teenager in the house (regardless of how they got there) and not being pissed off sometimes would be far more unusual.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

I went to my father-in-law's retirement party tonight, and the only question people could think to ask me was "So, how's work going?"

I haven't had an office job in 6 years, I stay-at-home with three little kids ages 5, 3 & 2. I tell myself every day that my work is valuable, I am shaping human beings and making sure the house is livable. So why does one innocent question burn right into me?

I feel like that too, I think it's a society thing, the sense that peoples worth is intrinsically tied in with their salary. It probably is an insecurity thing like Seaniqua says - I don't have any advice but just to let you know that you're not alone :)

Sockmuppet posted:

We are throwing my daughter her first proper birthday party with friends this weekend! (oh god oh god oh god help) She's turning three, and we're inviting her peer group from kindergarten to a nearby park with a small practice lane for toddler bikes, as well as a couple of playgrounds. Anyone have any ideas or tips for games/activities that are simple and fun for six 3-4 year olds (who will each have a parent along)? I've never done this before, and I'm drawing a total blank on what on earth you do with a bunch of small children. I'm sure they can entertain themselves most of the two hours we've set aside for the party, but I'd like to have one or two slightly organised activities for them.

I had a party for our younger boy for his birthday this year, they seemed happiest when they were running around shrieking. When we had the party my kid was in the middle of not being able to cope at all with any kind of competitive game without having a screaming meltdown so we avoided anything like that but if your daughter is less of a drama queen then musical bump is always fun, duck duck goose and if you can get a parachute then there's games you can play with that. http://www.playparachutes.com/pagaac.html

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
yeah, the last time I flew with the kids I assumed they would sleep because I had kept them up but really all that happened was that the youngest was extra obnoxious because she was tired and stuck in a metal tube where she had to get tied into her seat every now and then, and i had to deal with it with far less sleep than usual. I did what someone suggested here previously and got a surprise bag with little toys and sweets which helped a bit but really the main thing was remembering that as all things the journey would come to an end at some point and I would never see any of the people ever again. This flight was only five hours and she conked out after four and a half hours so on a longer flight you will probably get some peace but still brace yourself for unpleasantness. The 5 year old was fine though, not a peep out of him - just the 3 year old was unbearable.

The absolute worst thing was when she decided she needed a wee (every 10 minutes when she got bored) and there was a trolley thing blocking our access on either side. I know they probably make a fair bit of cash selling their overpriced crap to passengers but it really seemed like a stupid idea to have the whole midsection of the plane cut off from the toilets for long periods.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
The CBeebies app is pretty good but I'm not sure if it only available in the UK. (Cbeebies is the preschool BBC channel)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

dopaMEAN posted:

My 5 week old just slept for 7.5 hours!!! I can't believe how lucky I've been!

Other people who had good sleepers: will this last? Or will everything change when she starts teething?

I had good sleepers, for them 8 hours was the norm from about 6 weeks with disruptions of a few weeks around 4 months and 10 months.

But I'd wait a few more nights before you get your hopes up - I also had a lovely sleeper and every now and again she would sleep through the night, raising our hopes only for them to be cruelly dashed a night or two after when she resumed her usual every three hours pattern.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I used a set of reins with the kids that were most likely to run off under a car, my youngest is actually pretty good in that respect (to make up for her unbridled evil in other ways no doubt) but I remember the heart stopping gasping fear with the older ones when they were young and made a dash for it. My youngest boy in particular could sense the exact moment that my grip on his hand was slightly less than vice like and wiggle out. The little buggers are fast too.

Or you could have a couple of weeks where you go somewhere safe for her to run off then as soon as she runs off march her home so hopefully she gets the message of 'run off and you'll have to go home' but in situations where going home isn't a massive waste of time and money. I've never actually done that though but it seems like it might work.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My 5 year old has started wetting the bed pretty much every night. He's been dry for years and would have the occasional accident (maybe once a month) which was fine and we'd tell him that was fine and accidents happen but my god it is hard to keep that up when you're on your twentieth bed change in 3 weeks. I know there's absolutely no point being upset with him or telling him off but stripping beds and scrubbing mattresses in the middle of the night, or having a wriggly little monkey in bed is not conducive to a good nights sleep.

I don't know what's caused the change. It's the holidays so I am confident there hasn't been any traumatic event, but then maybe it might just be the change in routine. We're limiting drinks and making sure he goes to the toilet before he goes to sleep. We could start lifting him again but that doesn't feel very helpful in the long run.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Public Serpent posted:

Don't know anything about fixing the actual betwetting, but a hand towel on top of something waterproof under the bed sheet at crotch height might save you the mattress scrubbing at least. Ikea has plastic lined mattress protectors that we use in case of diaper leaks. They come in packs of two so we just pull off the old sheets to wash in the morning and keep an extra set by the bed. Still a pain in the rear end, but less of one.

Good idea thanks :) We've got the other kind of mattress protector but in the cases where he's wet himself and then not noticed and carried on sleeping it leaks through so really all I end up with is more washing. I'll get a couple of the just plastic ones off amazon.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

whalesteak posted:

We're going through the same thing right now. We keep an inflated air mattress (already made up) under his bed on a little roll out trundle. It was initially for sleepovers, but it's nice to be able to throw everything in the washer and not worry about remaking the bed in the middle of the night. He just moves to the bed he wasn't sleeping in (he prefers his "camp-out bed" to his actual bed most nights). I also make a point of keeping a waterproof cover under the mattress pad on all of our beds to protect from bed wetting, diaper blowouts, dog slobber etc.

Our doc suggested he might be over tired and not waking to pee, so we moved bedtime up by half an hour and put dimmers on all the lights and lamps in the house to better enforce a low light period after dinner, so he's not so wound up around bed time. We've had mixed results, and it's been hard to be consistent about it since most days I don't get home from the office until 7-ish and we lose out on a lot of play time together, but from what we've been told it's a luck-of-the draw issue and we shouldn't worry about stuff like bedwetting alarms until he's older.

Yeah I was wondering if it is to do with over tiredness and his schedule being all out of whack with the holidays. The schools go back on Wednesday so hopefully we'll all be in a good routine in a few weeks. I think though maybe it was always more likely to be an issue as I remember wetting the bed as a kid (or I remember an alarm going off and my mum and dad coming in and changing the bed) so I must have been relatively old and my husband wet the bed until quite a late age. I think the fact that he was fine for so long just threw me.

Fionnoula posted:

I might be late on this one, but has he seen a doctor for possible constipation? A couple of months ago, my kid started having accidents out of the blue after years of doing great. For lack of any other ideas, I took him to the doctor to look at maybe a UTI. The doc immediately went "He's constipated". I told the doc it simply wasn't possible because he was totally pooing normally. Sent us for an xray and sure enough: he was totally full of poo poo. He was pooing, but he was never actually emptying his bowels and the pressure of the poo was preventing him from actually emptying his bladder effectively as well, so he was having accidents because his bladder was always full and couldn't empty. A couple of days of Miralax for a good cleanout and he was right as rain, no more accidents.

I'll keep an eye on it, but we're in the UK and I think there would have to be more signs of an issue before they would send him for an X Ray :(

He's not wet the bed for three nights though so I'm cautiously optimistic.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm wondering if I shold show my kids old cartoons from when I was a kid. Like Doctor Snuggles.

As long as it doesn't make you sad when they still prefer Paw Patrol. I remember getting my oldest to watch the 1970's Willy Wonka and afterwards he said it was good, "but not as good as the real one" :(

My husband won't let me show the little ones Watership Down.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Would you moms feel offended if people kept saying your kids don't look like you at all. People kept saying that to my SO this weekend (at this vietnamese gathering) when they saw the twins, and I guess they do look a lot like me and not a lot like her. I figure you get tired of hearing it after a while though, but she says she's used to it. It's a bit strange even how strongly they've taken after me looks wise.

Also got an indication of cross language comprehension from David when we exlaimed "herregud!" (swe) at something and he piped up with his own "Oh my god!" in response :3:

I get that a lot, it doesn't really bother me.

I remember reading somewhere that it's something people just say, I've had people say my eldest looks 'just like his dad' (talking about my husband) who is not even slightly related to him at all. Certainly I struggled to see a resemblance between our newborn babies and either of us but people would swear that the little pink round bald babies were the image of their father.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

Dad gripe time. I often take my son to the park/mall play area (if it's raining) to get him some exercise during the week while mom is at work. On more than one occasion I've had women approach me and accuse me of being a creeper sitting by myself and "watching other people's kids". I always just smile and point out my son and that's usually the end of it. Today I had an entire mother's club staring daggers at me while I let my son run around the mall play area with the other toddlers.

What is with this behavior? I had read in a few places that single/stay at home dads had some trouble with this kind of thing, but never thought anything of it until my son was old enough to start taking to the park etc. and began experiencing it for myself.

That is insane and horrible. It's so sad that the thought of a father spending time with his kids is so unusual it's not the first thing that occurs to people if they see a man in a play area.

If it's any comfort to you, see yourself as being on the cusp of a change of attitude and when your son grows up he'll be able to take his children (if he has any) wherever he god drat wants without people being poo poo about it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, I'm not expecting her to be completely dry 100 % of the time, but her accidents happen way too often to be called sporadic.

On a related note, at what age can they wipe themselves? I have literally no idea.

My 3 year old daughter wipes herself after she pees, her pooing in the toilet is an ongoing thing so we wipe her bum still (we're doing poo rewards too so now she chants 'poos get prizes!' when she does it). My younger son who is 5 now wipes himself and has done so for ages, we had an instructive afternoon wiping, checking for poo and repeating until the toilet paper is clean. He does fine but occasionally if he has a dodgy tummy he'll ask one of us to go over again. Which is a good sign I guess - means he really does check still and hasn't got lazy with it.

With the accidents I think it was a while with our daughter, she would do really well for weeks then have a week or so of just terrible every single time in her pants then being good again. But it's been a while since that last happened and now on the rare occasion she does have an accident she isn't happy about it, which sounds like it should be a bad thing but I'm glad she sees it as undesirable rather than not giving a poo poo.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
With my daughter it took ages for her to agree to go to the toilet or do anything until she was absolutely bursting (which wasn't great when all the toilets are on a different floor to the living area). You could put her on the toilet and she would point blank refuse to pee or even entertain the notion that it might be something she could possibly do then less than 5 minutes later either scream that she needed a wee or just wet herself.

Now she will at least try to go when we ask her to it's a lot easier.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

me your dad posted:

I could use some wisdom about birthday parties.

My daughter is turning five in December. She's been to several of her friend's and classmate's birthday parties at bounce houses and tumble gyms and Chuck-E-Cheese and was asking about her own party this morning.

My wife feels strongly that an party of that sort is unnecessarily expensive, especially with her birthday so close to Christmas. She wants to celebrate the day with our family by letting our daughter stay out of school and taking her somewhere special (I have no idea where).

I think I'm okay with this, but I don't want my daughter to feel disappointed because she's not getting the same kind of parties she thinks all the kids are having. Obviously there are kids in her class who aren't having parties but she doesn't know about them.

Does anyone have experience dealing with this sort of thing?

I would have a look and work out whether a special trip somewhere is really going to cost that much less than a party. For our son when he turned 5 we hired the village hall (which cost about £15) and then bought a load of balloons and stuff from ebay. All together it cost less than £50 and a day out somewhere special would probably cost in that region by the time you factor in travelling costs, eating out, a souvenir and entrance fees. He's a January baby so it was annoying and we put off having a big party as long as we could because it's January and no one wants to do anything in January, but I remembered being fobbed off for the same reason when I was young (January baby too) and it was pretty rubbish to grow up knowing everyone thinks your birthday is a pain in the arse.

Maybe having a delayed party might be a good compromise - in the Spring or something? Tell her she can be like the Queen and have two birthdays.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Speaking of which, when did everyone's kids actually start, you know, directly interacting with other kids in a not-superficial way? The most mine has had is one time I can remember when he thought another kid was chasing him and got excited but then it turned out the other kid wasn't.

My younger kids are 5 and 3 and it's really just been over the last year that the 3 year old has been playing properly with her big brother rather than just playing in the vicinity of him, and playing with other kids at playgroup. I'd say it started about 2 and a half.

She's a bit of a later developer with her language but it doesn't hold her back with other kids. I've talked about it before, and it's definitely getting better in that she's talking in sentences now, but just not sentences that anyone not attuned to her can understand. Her older brother was the same and he is absolutely fine now (14 and doing really well at school) so it's frustrating and a bit awkward when people ask her something and she just babbles at them but I'm pretty confident it'll come. Her comprehension is absolutely fine and everything else (potty training etc) has been on track.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Are Shelf Elfs a regional thing? I am in new england, I only heard about them a couple years ago and I don't think I know anyone who actually does it. The whole thing just seems weird and strange to me. Don't kids ever try to murder the elf to prevent it reporting that they hit their sister or whatever?

I'm in the UK and I'd heard about it previously in this thread but more as a "there's an elf in your room spying on your every move and he's going to be reporting everything back to Santa" thing which was generally considered to be a bit off.

This new trend of having an elf that you have to pose and then talk about on facebook and share hilarious photos of the elf sodomising a Barbie is doing the rounds here but it's the first year it's been a thing I've noticed in the UK (and the authoritarian aspect is lacking).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

dpspolice posted:

My husband and I have decided to get the potty training train on a roll. We've been putting our two year old on the potty before baths and she'll go pretty much every time, and she stays dry for a few hours at a time. We know she's ready.

The issue is that he and I can't agree on the best way to do it. He wants to stick her in pullups and thinks she'll take care of the rest on her own. I want to put her in big girl undies so she'll learn what being wet feels like. Yesterday was our first real day working through it. She went on the potty twice and went in her undies twice. The first time she went in the undies she told us immediately she was wet, and the second time she started crying. My feeling is she dislikes it enough that it'll make her want to go on the toilet.

We're still going to use diapers/pullups for bed/nap time.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

My daughter has been potty trained for a year now and still wears nappy pants at night. She's absolutely fine during the day - accidents will happen but it's once a month if that. But as soon as she has a nappy pant on for bedtime she will pee in it no matter how awake she is, it's like as soon as it's on it's open season to pee where ever she wants. I've actually seen her go take a nappy pant out the box, put it on and pee in it (maybe because she couldn't be bothered going upstairs? god knows). So in my experience straight to proper pants is the easiest most effective way, even with the extra washing and carpet cleaning etc.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

So my son has developed a real liking for the show Peppa Pig, which for me is probably one of the most pleasant children's shows to have on TV. Just a bunch of not-so-yelly British people talking about your basic toddler show fare. Now here's what's interesting. Looking up some info on the show I came across the reviews on IMDB and TV.com

The show is generally pretty low rated, which surprised the Hell out of me, so I looked at the reviews:

http://www.tv.com/shows/peppa-pig/reviews/

WTF? Are these adults actually trying to watch this show themselves for entertainment? "The animation is bad! It looks like it was done by a 4 year old!" well no poo poo, it's a stylistic choice to make the show look like it was done by a 4 year old. "Peppa is rude!" this is a British show, and I guess British parents aren't so thin skinned as to get offended by their kid saying "Daddy has a big tummy" especially if daddy does indeed have a big tummy.

I could understand people getting all bent out of shape by say, Dinosaur Train, but Peppa Pig? Really?

Here's a great example:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that 80% of the people posting fan reviews are insane (I certainly don't remember an episode where George has a gun), or at the very least far too invested in preschool TV. Saying that Mike the Knight can work me up into quite a rant... Peppa is a bit rude - she has a strident tone sometimes which grates. I'm thinking of the episode where she goes to meet the queen and then yells at her for walking round a puddle rather than jumping in it. But it's a cartoon, the kids loved it and it's a lot better than some of the stuff I've sat through in the last 20 years of parenting.

If you like Peppa Pig look out for Ben and Hollys Magical Kingdom too - it's by the same people.

edit: also in that review - aeroplane? That's how people in the UK say it - it'd be like complaining that she says mum rather than mom.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 31, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

WTF BEES posted:

I'm willing to bet this is just a cultural difference between the US and UK. I don't think they consider quite so many things "rude" when coming from children as we seem to over here.

I'm in the UK, I'd definitely not like my kids talking to adults in that tone of voice.

It doesn't really bother me and certainly not to the extent that I'd write an internet screed decrying it but if asked I would agree that on occasion Peppa is a cheeky little madam. But then that's probably part of the charm.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 31, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'd echo the putting her to bed earlier suggestions. My daughter goes to nursery for two full days a week and she was grumpy, whiny, wouldn't play with the other kids and just hated going. We were talking about changing her to half days but I decided to try putting her to bed an hour earlier and she's a different child. It' might not help at all but worth a try.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Use it as a teaching moment about death, it's never too young to point out that mommy and daddy will be gone some day too :v:

Some kids are quite matter of fact about it. My husband was talking to our son about something - say fishing - and he said that he would teach him how to do it when he was grown up. So my kid just looks at him and says in a confused (but not at all upset) voice "but daddy when I'm grown up you'll be dead".

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I think the age gap is the biggest issue with having kids. I had a 6 year gap between my first and second, then 8 years between second and third. It was tough having more than one but more in a logistics way than anything else (you don't realise how portable one kid is compared to two). Then my youngest was born when my second youngest was just over two and my god it was awful. They are (nearly) four and six now and it's really been over the last year I've stopped hating it so much and can see the benefit of having them closer together. They play together really well and keep each other amused a lot which is nice, and they share friends too so having someone over means they all play together rather than one being left out.

My youngest son (the one who is six now) went through a stage of constantly telling me how much more he liked his dad than me - "I like you but I love daddy", "I don't love you as much as daddy" and my favourite "I don't love you enough to let you wipe my bottom, daddy has to do it." To be honest it was a little annoying but didn't bother me too much, I think it made his dad feel worse than I did (being the favourite made him feel guilty). He stopped after a while though (not because we did anything, I think he just got bored of it I guess).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
We went on holiday a month ago and since we got back one or other of the adults or kids have had some kind of virus, then when everyone seemed to be clearing up my daughter comes out with chicken pox (we're in the UK where the vaccine isn't offered except for vulnerable groups). She's not bad with it so the worst thing is having to keep her in the house so we're not spreading disease about all willy nilly - she was meant to be having her birthday party tomorrow but that's been cancelled.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

nyerf posted:

Why isn't chicken pox vaccine on the schedule for you guys? It's dreadful to get later in on life, also shingles when you're old :( my mother in law and her best friend both had to deal with shingles in the last couple of years and her friend got it across her face :cry: Trigeminal neuralgia for the extreme lose :smith:

Here's what the NHS website says

quote:

Chickenpox vaccine FAQs

Why isn't the chickenpox vaccination part of the routine childhood immunisation schedule?

There's a worry that introducing chickenpox vaccination for all children could increase the risk of chickenpox and shingles in adults.
While chickenpox during childhood is unpleasant, the vast majority of children recover quickly and easily. In adults, chickenpox is more severe and the risk of complications increases with age.
If a childhood chickenpox vaccination programme was introduced, people would not catch chickenpox as children because the infection would no longer circulate in areas where the majority of children had been vaccinated.
This would leave unvaccinated children susceptible to contracting chickenpox as adults, when they are more likely to develop a more severe infection or a secondary complication, or in pregnancy, when there is a risk of the infection harming the baby.
We could also see a significant increase in cases of shingles in adults. Being exposed to chickenpox as an adult – for example, through contact with infected children – boosts your immunity to shingles.
If you vaccinate children against chickenpox, you lose this natural boosting, so immunity in adults will drop and more shingles cases will occur.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/chickenpox-vaccine-questions-answers.aspx#routineschedule

Reading a bit more into it there's also concerns that the uptake wouldn't be high enough because some parents are still wary of vaccines after the wnole MMR debacle, and as chickenpox is so much worse as an adult the risks of more people getting seriously ill as an adult would be higher for those whose parents didn't give them the vaccine.

I could have found somewhere to get it done privately but I tend to just go by what the NHS guidelines suggest.

namaste faggots posted:

Because we know better than subject matter experts and freedom so gently caress you

No, that's not fair, I listened to the subject matter experts that provide our health care and have never missed a scheduled vaccination.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My now 14 year old had trouble with speech, he would say words but miss out the beginning of some words, the middle of some and the end of others and kind of run them all together so unless you were really well attuned to him (basically just me) he was impossible to understand. He started speech therapy when he was threeish and even when he started school at five he was fairly unintelligible but by the end of primary one he had caught up and now he is pretty much grown up you'd never have any idea that he had had problems.

Now my daughter is four and she was a really late speaker too. She didn't really bother trying to talk for ages and just pointed and shrieked a lot to get what she wanted, then she started to say words but they were really jumbled up - goo for book, geg for egg. It was really frustrating seeing as she could say some sounds perfectly fine in some words but then not even try to put them in others. She started speech therapy around November and I don't know if it was that was a springboard or just coincidental but now her speech is so much better. It's still not perfect by any degree - she has trouble with a few letters like s and r and makes some substitutions but overall you can have a conversation with her and most people would know what she is saying. She won't stop saying me instead of I though even with constant correction but all in all a vast improvement.

In comparison my youngest son is six, he started talking about 19 months and it was just an explosion of words - he was really quick. I think in a way that wasn't great for my daughter as he doesn't let her get a word in edgeways , I couldn't take him to her speech therapy appointments because there was no way he would be able to shut up and have the attention on her for thirty minutes.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I would probably make up an elaborate story and try to replace it with as close a substitute as I could if the motel turns out not to have it. One of my kids had a stuffed toy that he couldn't be parted with except all the times he forgot him in the shops or wherever so I would have to madly dash back into town to get him back before bedtime. We went on holiday to Cyprus and just as the bus appeared to transfer us back to the airport to go home I realised that bloody mooncat wasn't with us and ran back up to the restaurant we had had dinner in. Luckily he was there wedged under a seat but it was a stressful ten minutes.

If I hadn't found him I would have said something like "Mooncat has gone on a little holiday, I bet he's having a fantastic time blah blah blah" and then tried desperately to find a replacement. The trouble with that particular stuffed toy though was it was a crappy knock off pikachu thing from the shows that his brother had won a few years before so he was really hard to replace. Hopefully the motel will have found yours though and will send it back - fingers crossed for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I used tights as often as I could. Easier with girls but I did have some for the boys I am sure.