Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

I just don't see a need to be confrontational about it if I instead have the option to show them that there's evidence that that isn't the best thing to do. Most of them are rational people, and I'd rather educate than alienate.

From what I know, the view on responding consistently to infant cries as being important to infant development is based on Attachment Theory. Founders of this theory are John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth. Ainsworth's "Strange Situation" study theorized that how a parent responds to a child's needs affects the security of the child's attachment. A quick summary is here: http://www.simplypsychology.org/mary-ainsworth.html

So, your best bet is to read articles you can find in this area, because this is the science that backs the idea that babies need you to respond to their cries (and it doesn't spoil them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

Hey thread! I'm movin on up from the pregnancy thread. Ben will be 2 months old on the 18th. He was diagnosed with reflux so we've got him on medication and sleeping in the Rock and Play.

He's a great napper in the day and when we do finally get him in bed at night he sleeps for 6 hours, wakes up to eat and sleeps another 2-3 hours. starting about 4 days ago he's been getting SUPER upset at night. It's generally either before or after his last nap. He gets really cranky at any problem such as gas or pooping, and he won't latch to eat because he's so pissed and tired.

What could be causing this sudden change in behavior?!

Besides what others have suggested, it could just be normal developmental stuff. I noticed that my daughter was her fussiest at 8 weeks and then started to chill out after that. I attributed it to the "Purple Period of Crying" http://www.purplecrying.info/sections/index.php?sct=1&

Babies go through so many changes so quickly, it's easy for them to get overwhelmed. At 8 weeks, my daughter was pretty alert and because of this, freaked out because she was conscious of the world for the very first time. Looking at it from that point of view, I could understand why she was so cranky. By three months, the extreme crankiness was gone and now she's pretty happy the majority of the day.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

The Period of PURPLE Crying is a program backed by the National Center for Shaken Baby Syndrome. It isn't intended to be a sleep training method. It is an evidence based program intended to give parents a better understanding of how and when babies cry and what to do about it, as a method to reduce people shaking their babies to death.

???

I brought up the Purple Period of Crying because someone mentioned that their 8 week old was fussier than usual. I didn't make any association whatsoever with this campaign and sleep training.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

I wasn't speaking directly to you, I was trying to answer the questions of other people in the thread who seemed confused about the purpose of the program.

Ok, just re-read the last few posts and realized that this last sleep training debate was from the sleep section of the Purple Period website. I didn't even realize the sleep stuff was there because I honestly didn't use the advice at all. I only used the website to read up on patterns of infant crying, when it peaks, etc. Sorry!

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Wojtek posted:

Any constipation tricks for a not-quite 7 month old?

We are giving her prune juice in her formula and feeding her prunes, per doctor's suggestion, but her turds are still hard.

What formula are you using? One main thing is to make sure you are mixing the formula correctly. I can't tell you how many times I've seen parents just wing it when mixing formula, but the problem is that if you don't get the ratio of formula to water right, it could cause constipation (if the baby is getting too much powder versus water).

You may be mixing it fine (or be using pre-mixed formula), but just some tips I've learned:

1) Measure the water in the bottle first, then add powder. (DON'T put the powder in first, because if you do, you'll have no way of knowing if you've measured out the correct amount of water).

2)Make sure you put the bottle on a level flat surface, like your kitchen counter or a table. If you just hold the bottle in your hand and eyeball it, you could be off by as much as a half ounce or so, which can make a big difference to the formula versus water ratio.

3) If the directions say to use an UNPACKED level scoop, just scoop the powder to the top, level off with the flat end of a butter knife and put into the bottle. DON'T tap the scoop on the side of the container to fill in empty gaps. Doing this will result in you putting too much powder in the bottle. This article explains this: http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/astudentatmamauniversity/baby-formula-blunder

3)Make sure you really shake and mix the powder and formula well.

Hope this helps.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

absolutely! And the car seat itself rocked when placed on the carpet, so if he fussed a bit after we took him out of the car we would just rock the seat and he would settle down.

But let me tell you, i would not wish a baby with colic on my worst enemy.

I laughed when we were forced to watch the no shake video at the hospital before they would let us go home with our newborn, thinking "I would never do that to a baby, what the hell is wrong with people."
We did shift work with the baby for the first few months. I had to take care of him from 9 PM - 2 AM, and she took 2 AM onwards so I could get sleep before work. After a month of a baby with colic, there were a couple of times I had to very carefully put that little poo poo back into his crib and step away and let the wife take over for a few during my shift because I was about to go postal.

I never hurt him, but there were a few times that exhaustion, rage and near constant crying from him made me awfully close.

Have you seen this article?:
http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2011/10/1/my-baby-wont-stop-crying.html

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

LOL that's great, and very true.

Pretending that our baby was singing part of the Led Zeppelin immigrant song helped us a great deal!

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

FYI - don't watch True Detective. It has been the hardest thing for me to watch, now that I'm a parent. I gave my kids extra hugs and kisses last night after watching a few episodes.

There should be some kind of trauma rating for parents, to warn of the harm done to children in a particular TV episode or movie.

Seriously. Not sure if anyone wants to see this movie, but there is a very traumatic scene involving death of children in the movie "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf". I knew it wouldn't be a feel good movie, but was definitely not prepared for what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010
Speaking of the Fisher Price Seahorse, I just saw this article circulating around today:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...e-glow-seahorse

Apparently some consumers are saying that there is a fire safety risk. However, Fisher Price has not done a recall yet. Just an FYI as I know so many people use this item!