Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Another round of Frozen, another time for me to think about how badly the parents handled the situation and wound up dead for it. Just get a therapist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I wouldn’t trade WFH for anything, but no school, no nap, no outdoor playtime days like yesterday make me wish for a commute longer than ‘open the office door’ to transition from work mode to dad mode.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kid apparently ingested a hair at some point. It came out the other end intact and that possibility has derailed all potty-related activities for 2 days now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

What is meant when people say me and my wife will be the PTA power couple in ref to being a doctor/engineer? I've heard this a few times over the years and never really thought about it until now that were having a kid and it just popped into my head.

What are the powers? Do I have to do some sort of ritual to attain them?

You will be expected to provide medical/home DIY advice that completely supports the opinions of whichever PTA member is asking you :v:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Mine is 3 and I still do this periodically

Occasionally I'll stay up until 2am and pretend I have control over my personal time, and then pay for it the next day/s

Our New Year’s resolution is going to bed before midnight. We’re about 50/50 on it. It’s all chores instead of fun stuff though.

Another thing we’re trying to do is get each parent at least one friends weekend to disconnect from parent life. It’s not a weekend full of debauchery or anything, but it’s such a huge mental boost to have a couple days where the only agenda is ‘hang with friends and do whatever.’

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Something that works for us is at least once a week we try to give the other one a solid six hours of undisturbed me time. gently caress off to the mall, go hang out with a friend, read a book someplace the kid can't find you, sleep, sit in a dark room and stare at the wall, whatever floats your boat.

It really, really helps to decompress. It also gives some solid one on one bonding time to the other parent.

We've only got one, though, so YMMV if you're trying to wrangle 3 kids and it's all hands on deck 24/7.

That sounds great. 6 hours is a stretch with the phase we’re in, but I have a (mostly) weekly tennis league that has been extremely good for my mental state. Pure bliss - 2.5 hours of focusing on nothing more than hitting a ball with a fancy stick. We just need my wife to get back into an equivalent hobby.

I’m hopeful the solo parenting time gets easier when the kids can entertain themselves more. They might fight more but that mediation has to be less intensive than trying to keep track of a 1yo who wants to get into specifically the things we are trying to keep them away from.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Formula isn't free but it's like $400 for the first year it's not that expensive. We bought pre mix formula (which is by far the most expensive option) and disposable nipples and it was $1100 for the first year

Caveat - we’ve had to use alimentum for both kids and that mix adds up quickly at $13/day. It’s worth it to not have bloody diapers and fussy kids though.

We got it covered through insurance for a while which took the cost to $60/month, but then they said the script was only good for 90 days and it couldn’t be reauthorized even though my kid needed it for a full year. Insurance is really great.

Im going to buy so many berries once we get off formula in a few weeks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It definitely still smells like off brand fish food. Milk is going to blow my youngest’s mind in comparison.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kid’s CMPA both showed up right when everyone was really taking off with breastfeeding. Frustrating, but the diagnosis and weaning process meant my wife was able to save up a ton of milk to donate. Something like 40+ lbs each time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I have no idea why it took me years to get dishwashing gloves but they’re the best thing I received for Christmas.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our neighbor loves to brag about how his kid is an educational prodigy with advanced STEM skills. He’s also a teacher who wants my kid in his class. No thanks - I’m happy your kid is smart but we don’t need direct comparisons benchmarked against them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Why go out to a nice dinner when you can instead drop $60 on an urgent care visit because your kid refuses to have problems when their PCP is open

That thumb-sucking blister went from ‘looks a tiny bit pink but nothing bad’ at 3:30pm to ‘oh good god is that gross’ at 6pm.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have experience fighting medical bills?

We want to complain that an imaging result was interpreted completely incorrectly (wrong side of body) and caused duplicative follow ups to be done. We also were rushed into taking an (leisurely) ambulance ride between the ER and hospital with no warning that the ambulance is out of network that will be $3k thank you very much.

It’s what I get for saying we’re close to a pay raise for going off alimentum :(

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bluey got me today.

The dad was pretending to be a claw machine or and said “I am not Dad, I am clawbot. Clawbot has no kids, his days are free and easy.”

Heard that my dude, heard that.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I used to think we were pretty good with money. Nope, we were just naive DINKs.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re pausing potty training until we get my kid’s kidney/urinary tract situation sorted out.

Any random fever from school/play dates/etc needs to be checked for a UTI and, let me tell you, trying to get a 3yo who rules their bladder with an iron fist to pee into a cup is quite the quest. The control also extends to #2 - we have to go HAM on the miralax or else we won’t get any action for days.

“Do you need to poop?” “Yes.”
“Don’t you feel better after you poop?” “Yes.” “Does it hurt to poop?” “No.”
“Why don’t you poop and go play instead of laying around?” “I DON’T WANNA”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re very cautious not to compare the two in front of each other, but I’m hoping there’s some intrinsic sibling rivalry that’ll make my 3yo eat more when the 1yo is pounding down food right next to them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Introduced my 1yo to cheese pizza today. Big night.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

A friend of a friend over shares on social media enough to make me uncomfortable for the kids. Blasting out an Instagram post is an efficient way to update concerned parties rather than individual texts, but we don’t need to know your full hospital schedule and see pictures of your sick kid’s medical issue.

The social media usage of some of our family members has been brought up when they ask to come visit. We can lay down ground rules but more elderly relatives have terrible impulse control when it comes to documenting everything and anything online.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

This is also good advice for grown ups. Rotating these over the counter meds has been shown to be as-or-more effective at managing acute pain than opiates

It also helps prevent the 99.7 temp aka the worst temp. I’m always way more miserable with one of those bugs than something that sends me to like 102/103.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hell yeah Moana 2.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What’s a good age for a first movie?

My 3yo is big on Moana, hence my hell yeah for Moana 2, but I think that’s too early to try in a theater both from an attention span perspective and a “the giant crab and flaming angry demon are a lot scarier on a movie theater screen versus home TV” perspective.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Never trusting a staff pharmacist’s opinions on medicine flavoring again. We strayed from the tried and true Berry flavor and now each dose is a war.

It’s a month long, every night script :negative:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So what's the bad flavor? Mustard?

Apple.

G-Spot Run posted:

Could you phone your doctors office and ask for a reissue of the script to just get berry flavour and end the nightmare? I don't know how much it set you back (I live in the glorious land of subsidised medicare and the pbs) but I know how hard my kid fights cherry flavours and I can't imagine dealing with it for a month.

Eh, they get weird if you try to get another script before the original dose is done. Plus most scripts set me back $6 but insurance decided this particular antibiotic has different coverage and costs me $150.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It was 3rd grade for me when my teacher pointed out I had to walk up to the board to read any assignments. Got glasses the next week.

My vision didn’t stabilize until ~25, so every few years I’d need a prescription upgrade and suddenly oh hey look at all the leaves and details I’d been missing for a year or two.

Just based on genetics we’re going to be on sharp lookout for vision problems and any sinus issues with allergies. The first breath after getting my sinuses cleared out via ENT surgery was like getting glasses x100. I’m hoping we catch any issues with my kids before their sinus passages are clogged with gross polyps and such.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Got a somewhat unnecessary X-ray today but the battery drawer was open and kiddo has an MRI tomorrow so we aren’t taking chances.

Anyway mods please rename me to Moderate Stool Load, tia

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Okay I scrape the thinnest of all possible layers of jelly onto my son's toast, how does he manifest huge globs of jelly all over the place

Hey if he can replicate it with other grape based products you’re gonna be in business later.

Unrelated - watching your kid go under from sedation gas is An Experience I’d rather not repeat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It takes longer and requires lots more conscious safety work but golly gee whiz cooking with a kid is so fun when they’re into it. Made soufflés for a valentines dinner at home and watching the kid pick up names/recipe steps (daddy can I help put the cheese in the bay-shu-smell sauce?) and getting hyped about how air and motion turns egg whites from yucky goop to shiny, fluffy white stuff was really rewarding.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Why do I ever bother telling kids about upcoming plans before we are in the car going there. Telling them plans a week in advance was just an exercise in hubris.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Liquid suspension antibiotic: $155

Same antibiotic in capsule form for adults that doesn’t make my 3yo throw up when the capsule is opened and sprinkled on jello/pudding/etc: $7

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our first family flight is in September so we’ll have a 4yo and an 18 month old. I’m getting a preemptive 1000 yard stare whenever I think about how we’re going to navigate that whole thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

How do you all make friends with other parents? My wife and I live in the SF Bay Area, and have for a decade. We have a 2.5 year old and she's fantastic.

Our current problem is none of our friends are having kids. We don't have a good support system when it comes to parenting issues or even for playdates. It rained all weekend for the presidents day holiday and we felt like we didn't even have anyone to call to come over and just spend time with us and our daughter to break up the monotony.

Let me know if you ever figure it out. At this point I’m hoping it picks up as my kid gets older and gets more days at school.

Of course the mom of my kid’s best friend at school is the one parent my wife and I mutually dislike. Disappointing!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My 3yo has great communication but “hey buddy I know that old man’s dog is pretty but if we don’t scoot inside right now we are going to be trapped in a near inescapable one-sided conversation that quickly lands on military history” is a bit too much.

Guess who got to spend 15 minutes saying only “oh really? Wow that’s interesting. How cool.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Should not have wished for the 1yo to slow down and give us 5 minutes of peace every once in a while.

A high fever is a good way to park a kid on their butt. Hoping it’s a mild junk virus and not flu/covid/etc. Tests came back negative but we caught it super early on.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chillmatic posted:

Has anyone had a toddler that’s terrified of getting on a pedal-less bicycle?

My kiddo has never been afraid of anything but for some reason this thing terrifies her.

My kid was fine with it indoors but outside took few tries to get going. Maybe looking at it inside would work?

A bicycle themed episode of her preferred kids show might also help.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our 3yo still has no desire to climb out of her crib so the conversion kits sit collecting dust. I wouldn’t want to get out either, that thing is cozy as hell.

To offset I’m expecting our 1yo will scare us to death by falling out headfirst in the next few months.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sucked so hard on a booger sucker that I aggravated a tight spot in my upper back.

This is a real low point.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Fancy Nancy can gently caress off

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone with YouTube TV been asked to verify their identity with google? It paused our subscription and wants a photo ID to confirm I’m of age…I redacted my face, license#, and some other info from what I uploaded and might just cancel if they say it’s insufficient. Google likely has all my info already, but uploading a raw photo of my drivers license seems unnecessary. Main stressor is losing recordings of key kid shows, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I agree, though it’d be a very complex one if they spoof-suspended my YouTube TV account through the Xbox and phone apps and I’ve verified the issue with straight google logins on my phone and computer.