Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh hey, food and covid chat.

My 4yo did the eat everything to eat very little. It could be worse, we do go through a lot of cheese and yogurt, and he's acceptable about eating at daycare. Definitely a lot of "OH NO It's broken!" and a very tired Dad convincing him it all tastes the same. It's working enough that he does finish eating the horribly broken banana/pretzel/cheese slice.

Good milestone: Started actually pooping in the potty. Bad milestone: Got covid over his birthday. From daycare, where no other kids tested positive, somehow. Wife and I tested negative, luckily the baby never got any symptoms. I still had paternity time left so my holiday vacation turned into a long, not very restful "vacation". Kid never lost any speed or energy. Yikes.

6mo is doing well, she's had a rough few days from the 6mo vaccination regimen, but is pretty perky. Hair continues to stand straight up. Current favorite activity is to get one parent to hold you so you can watch the other parent.

PPD sucks though. Trying to keep everything in motion and support my wife is exhausting. I know she appreciates it though, and the kids are super affectionate, so there's some golden payoff moments in there.

Allergy chat - he's allergic to shrimp, eggs, oats, and rye. Shrimp has sent us to the ER twice now, so we're a little gunshy about testing out of anything while covid is rampaging the hospitals. Makes breakfast pretty rough. Hash browns from Dunkin or Manhattan Bagel have been pretty useful when we're getting other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We have a 4yo and a 7mo, and the frustrating part of the first few months was having issues getting our son potty trained, and between two kids in diapers and two cats I'm pretty sure our trash bin was 50% poop by volume. Otherwise it's been fine? He has some allergies that make some meals challenging, but 4yo gonna 4yo.

My wife and her brother are 4 years apart, and she felt like that was pushing it in terms of being close to each other. Our son loves helping with his sister, and she watches him constantly. Pretty big step from when we told him he was going to have a baby sister and he said "No thank you!"

I'm an only child, so when my wife kept talking about her and her brother, and wanting slightly closer ages, I'm like "sib...ling?" ;)

I also had to have a conversation with my Mom about the difference between advice and telling me what to do. It didn't go great, but it did make a difference. Parenting up is rough, I can tell she's getting older.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

Dang, I hadn't heard of any place with that severe of restrictions.

I thought I remembered things going that direction but then they walked back to "of course the partner can be there for the birth, obviously" (with a mask or whatever?)

Daughter was born in July, I was just barely allowed in. Right before this I could have gone in, but without re entry privileges, that would have been awful for my son. I think for a while they had no partners prior to that? We ended up there for a week and my MIL was allowed to come in, there was some confusion around that. Great planning there. This is outside of Philly.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We do a lot of yogurt and toast. He's allergic to egg, oat, and rye. :(

He loves fruit, we just don't usually do it for breakfast.

Recent challenges include deciding not to listen to daycare teachers, yelling at them you don't have to listen, then being surprised when Dad shows up grumpy to take you home to nap. :( I know four is hard kid, but cut me a break.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is he grumpy about the unreasonable grownups making him lie down like a little kid, by any chance?

Mostly kidding, but at our preschool/daycare, I think none of the three-and-a-half year olds nap any longer. Ours hasn't since just after she turned three. She'd be pretty furious if the staff tried to get her to go to sleep. She wants to do puzzles, or Legos or whatever the bigger kids are doing at nap time.

Yeah. Not many of them sleep during nap/quiet time, but I know he didn't sleep much last night, so he needed it. It's been a recurring problem because he won't stay on his cot, so he ends up bothering the other kids, then won't listen because toddler sunk cost fallacy, and so on.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Alterian posted:

My 3 year old's new favorite phrase is "It's Mine!"

My 4 year old will declare something his favorite, even (especially?) if he's never had it, in an attempt to get whatever it is.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I don't have any advice to give other than keep trying to explain again and again, but, uh, if you figure out how to help a 4yo listen at school, I'm all ears.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for masks for toddlers? Our twins just turned 2 and we've never really tried masks with them, but we're hoping to get them into daycare soon and they'll need to wear masks. We have a couple of small masks at home but even they are way too big for their heads/faces.

If you want reusable, they Crayola ones are pretty good - https://smile.amazon.com/Crayola-Kids-Face-Mask-Reusable/dp/B08B2K8PJQ/

For N95/surgical, Project N95 has some choices - https://shop.projectn95.org/masks/child-masks

I made a bunch of my own cloth ones at the start, but had a really annoying time getting them sized for the then two, now four, year old. The Crayola ones have a little strap adjuster, which is huge in terms of fit (and a metal nose bridge).

Monitor chat: We still use it for the 4yo to tell him to stop doing handstands and settle down. Got a second one for the baby instead of an addon camera that way we can each take a monitor as needed. Will probably stop using it for my son soon, it's less worry and more please settle down.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's lax now, but people here were pretty good about masking. Daycare's approach for 2yo was "please send them in with a mask, have a spare here, and we'll hope for the best". They knew it would be hard but wanted a mask for each kid in case they got inspected. By this point those kids are pretty good, new two year olds are iffy.

It has cut down on colds, though this round I picked up won't go away. Infant room colds are harsh.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
We only had to say it once, but my wife definitely said "Please don't chase the cat with your penis!"

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Oh ho ho, no they've been amazing at letting me put family first, and given me a raise in the last quarter

At this point childcare has become a point of contention for me and my wife and we're both resolved to just throw money at this problem in favor of our marriage

I put up a $3 Craigslist ad and already got 4 replies, two of which look promising

Is care.com still a thing? We hired babysitters from there for our wedding (years ago), if they're still doing background checks that might be an option?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Weak, your boss should have just said let it go.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

External Organs posted:

My daughter has started asking for pop despite never being given it before. What?

Let me guess, this is the start of many long years of unexpected requests.

Mine does that appended with "It's my faaaaaavorite!" Kid, you've never had it before.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

gently caress man.

3.5 year old son was apparently pushing, kicking, and punching his “friend” all day in preschool yesterday. They gave him a timeout but he just continued all day.

This friend of his is constantly getting in trouble, so my first thought is our son learned how to do this from that kid. The teacher asked him who he learned that from and he mentioned the friends name, but I don’t know to believe that, plus the teacher said she only saw our son doing the acts.

No physical harm and more playful than anything it seemed, but I have no idea where he would get this from. He watches coco melon, Daniel tiger, and paw patrol.

Today before going to the playground, he started running a play shopping cart into our 1 year old son.

Wtf. I scolded him and explained we don’t do that and he started laughing, then when I asked if he’d like me to do it to him he said “yes!” Then he laughed some more…the teacher said he started laughing yesterday when asked/told not to punch/kick/shove.

I remember laughing when getting talked to as a nervous gesture growing up so hopefully that’s it…no idea wtf to do here. Time outs have little to no effect on him.

My son wasn't aggressive to other kids, but would scream at teachers and refuse to do whatever it was they asked, just being super contrary. Then would scream and flail during naptime. So I'd have to get him from daycare. To make it clear it wasn't a treat, he'd get naptime at home, and I started taking things away from him - playing in the basement, then TV, then his stuffed animals. It took a while but it got the point across. Still some challenges, but by and large much better behaved at daycare.

D34THROW posted:

The not normal part was when I started talking to her. She punched the transducer and then her heartbeat started getting faster and louder. Lil' girl got excited hearing Daddy talk to her :kimchi:

:3:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Academician Nomad posted:

Man this formula shortage is nervous-making. We have enough for a few weeks maybe, thanks to some stocking up a while back. Sure hope we can get some more within that time frame.

Walmart's website is bad about updating stock. Target and CVS so far have been okay. I think I'm about at the "go find another can" stage too.

At least my daughter is almost 1, so we can start cutting it with milk and work on weaning her off of it. Eating people food isn't a problem, she yells if she doesn't have ~real~ food like mom and dad, and she's not fond of water.

The four year old doesn't care about real food, just snacks, and he looooooves water.

Kids are weird man.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That sounds like a direct path to getting silly putty instead?

I mean, you're not wrong though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, my son got it at the start of the year, which was a GREAT 4th birthday gift. He had a 101 fever all week but didn't slow down and didn't care. He did want to be in the cool finished basement, but otherwise it was normal. I was worn the gently caress out at the end of that week, holy poo poo.

He definitely got it from daycare, we didn't take him anywhere, and we went minimal places and were always masked, and my wife and I are vaxxed and boosted. But yet he was the only one out, and no one else reported it. And because I got him tested on Monday, it had been long enough since he was in daycare that they didn't have to close anything. :| He had the fever all weekend, it came from there.

People don't care, and schools/daycares are having a hard enough time getting staff that isolating rooms would probably make them close whole rooms for an exposure. A neighbor quit her job running a (different) daycare because she couldn't deal with the stress and blame shifting.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I clearly forgot how awful colds are from daycare. With masks and keeping the rooms separate during the height of the pandemic, I really stopped getting sick from my son. My daughter is making up for it in spades from the infant room, jfc. At least their pink eye has been gone a week and my drops end today?

Oh and the water softener drain line popped out and saturate part of the finished basement. You know, the part my son loves playing in. At least all the fans are great white noise?

I had taken the week as PTO to have some time to get things done I wanted to do. I did none of them.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Koivunen posted:

If you are watching love death and robots, and you also have kids, do yourself a favor and skip “Pop Squad.” It is hosed up and made me cry.

In other news I just tested positive for covid. Kids are still quarantined from daycare but I have to pay…

Do they have a discount rate for not present? Ours does half rate if you're not there for the week for vacation or whatever, and that applied to covid. If it's not policy, maybe ask?

When the closed the whole thing for 2 weeks in 2020, we argued into zero cost for those two weeks, no idea if all the parents got that or not though.

Definitely sucks a lot though. The baby definitely gave me something wicked, test came back negative though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I was misled, my son slept through the night pretty well fairly early. My daughter is shooting for the exact opposite.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I redirected my 4yo into saying what the what, since what the gently caress is my wife's most common phrase for work.

Then creature case files turned it into what in the wooly wide world, not sure if that's better.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
At least the rhymes in little blue truck make sense. I hate the Sesame Street books where it was clearly outsourced to someplace where English is a second or third language.

Sheep series books are pretty great though. And getting my son to read along with the poems in the Little Master Shakespeare Midsummer Nights Dream is great. Gonna give a copy to daycare and see if they can get a whole room chanting. :D

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
How does relocating work with shared custody? Assuming that part is okay, basically pick anywhere that aligned with your temperature choices and cost of living choices. North of Philly the great for kids and mediocre for kids can swing from town to town, so it ends up being really specific.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Apparently or pediatrician's website let you book appointments online without having to deal with the office staff. 4yo and 1yo get it Wednesday.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Huh. My son is white as hell (definitely takes after me) and he had awful cradle cap. We used mustela shampoo, but had no idea about oil. My daughter has some dandruff but nothing like his was. He ended up just growing out of it. Going to keep these ideas in mind if hers gets worse though.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

sheri posted:

No, child care withholding (for the tax-free dependent care FSA anyway) is kept at 5,000 per household.

Up to a certain income, then you're sol. Bonus points if your (or your spouse's) employer didn't track this and did a whoopsie mid year. Good times.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

sheri posted:

We used something like this as I did not want to deal with scrubbing poop or pee out of (essentially) a bucket.

https://a.co/hpE0ieS

We use this style and a $10 plastic stool from Lowes

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Ouch. Camp out in the living room to stay on the one floor? Play forts in said room that involve you crawling around instead of running? Crayola mess free coloring kit(s)?

Sick parent healthy kid is just really rough. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

My parents got my child a Vermont Teddy Bear day 1. It sat in a corner for 10 months until he noticed it, now he loves it and tried to sleep on it, which is a bit difficult because it is kinda hard and lumpy.

He likes all bears. Bears on the TV, bears in a book. We have a poster of the Bear Who Drive Car from Clerks: the animated series framed next to our front door, every time we come home we say hello and he whacks it. Sometimes he just looks at it and starts clapping and laughing. It will be sad when he one day just doesn't like it anymore.

Vermont Teddy Bear does make / let you make softer bears, the important part is the lack of articulating joints. They're also an awesome company.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

drat that’s the longest I’ve heard anyone testing positive for COVID. Sorry to hear that, sounds like a nightmare.

Our pediatrician apparently won't retest because this is possible. "She's completed the mandated quarantine period" which is apparently also good enough for our daycare? My wife's work wanted the baby to have a negative test, wait a week, then have my wife produce a negative test. To go to an office with no one on her team. Great move guys.

Anyway, after an over night at the children's hospital and about four more days, she's back to normal and making up time on walking and talking oh god.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
A willingness to tell whoever comes in at 3am to run a test on the baby or mom that they should gently caress off until daylight. Seriously, I swear someone came in every goddamn hour every night. We had mom complications, so it was a week of that but jfc.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh yeah, on the push back on staff thing - we used the nursery so I could leave and go check on my son and the MIL. We were told so much bullshit about the nursery, it's not open, only dad can leave/take the baby, only mom can leave/take the baby, only a nurse can leave/take the baby, and the ONE GODDAMN NURSE who just brought the baby back to my wife while I was gone and she was hooked up the mag chloride drip and couldn't care for the baby. gently caress that nurse in particular. Most of the nurses were glad I was there to help, but there were like three who treated me like poo poo.

Turns out once they ran out of space in the regular delivery unit and we were wheeled over to the Mom unit for the rest of the stay, the staff was a lot better. Post partum pre eclampsia is no joke. :(

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, ours didn't have any issues with the vaccines, but the 1yo likely had it already when she got dose two. The 4yo had it six months prior and was fine with both vaccines.

New CHOP facility in King of Prussia is pretty nice, at least for our one night stay. =/

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My one year old decided that the pro move was to go from hug to biting my bicep. It's lovely shades of red, purple, and green. Glad I had a thicker polo shirt on, I feel lucky I didn't lose any flesh.

Son definitely hit me in the dick a few times, probably in the 2yo-3yo range?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Around here it's lollipop Friday. Were you good enough to earn a lollipop or not?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

redreader posted:

I'm trying really hard this week, because normally I get the kids from daycare and it's not a big deal to get them home, give them some food, sit down and start eating. But yesterday, the 4 year old was loving FRANTIC about everything and even if it wasn't a big deal, I'd feel my heart rate go up. E.g. he wanted the last croissant, which I'd been saving for the kids. I say 'great' and since they NEVER eat a whole anything, I reach for the knife to cut it in half. IMMEDIATE tears, frantic, crying, sobbing "NO NO NO DON'T CUT IT IN HAAAALLLLLFFFFFF". I decide to risk the wrath of the 2 year old and just give him the croissant. Of course he only eats half. He asks for grapes later. I start washing them. As I'm washing them he starts crying, full tears, sobbing, etc etc "where are my grapes". Other things he cried about were similarly not a big deal but every time I found my mood matching his 'oh poo poo oh poo poo'. I see his daycare teacher and she remains calm no matter what. I need to get better at doing that, and I definitely am but gently caress it's hard.

Oof, that's rough. When my son starting throwing fits of Where's My X I Just Demanded, I asked him to calm down and wait, and on more fit throwing, carried him to his crib and did an immediate ~5 minute time out. After a few rounds of that, we really don't get fits from him anymore. He's also sneaking up on 5, so he understands more now too.

My daughter (14mo) is on the same track, but jfc she is remarkably louder than he ever was. This one is going to give me hearing damaged. Hopefully she learns a bit faster by watching him or something.

On the sleeping thing - he slept early and easily, no issues turning crib into a day bed, or swapping it for a real bed. She has only just recently stopped demanding a 3am meal. I'm the light sleeper, so I either feed her or migrate to the basement and let her wake up her brother. My wife sleeps through almost anything, so I'm the one who caved all time. Real food has been great for keeping her fuller longer, but it's definitely hard. Also, pretty sure she's going to roam at night with the cats. :(

(I like sleeping in the basement, it's colder, darker, and quieter. Right up until a cat decides I'm clearly lonely.)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think it's pretty child-dependent when a kid will drop their daytime nap completely, with the age being anywhere from 3-5, and it not being a sudden thing. So most daycares do "quiet time" in the afternoon, which can be a nap time for kids who do nap.

Yeah, our daycare calls it naptime, and tries to have all the kids actually nap. Then complains when my 4.5yo won't stop fidgeting. The pediatrician's office was flabbergasted that they'd try to get kids over 4 to nap.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's normal enough in the greater Philly burbs. I think ours is like $25, then once you're more than 15 minutes late it escalates. IIRC a coworker said his daycare on the mainline started at a $50 late fee and went up because people were just abusing it "in for $50, $250's fine" kind of a thing.

Way back when I had to commute, I asked our director about it, and she was pretty upfront that if you're stuck on the highway, call asap and she can look for volunteers or figure out how to dodge overtime and she'll work it out rather than huge penalty fees.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

External Organs posted:

When I had covid in Dec 2021 I never popped a fever either. I wonder if that's more common if you're vaccinated.

My son got covid in January, had a 101 fever all week, didn't lose any energy and had no other symptoms (no vaxx doses). My daughter got covid in July, she already had one dose, and no fever but major respiratory issues involving an overnight stay the children's hospital and enough albuterol to terrify you.

I never tested positive then or other times despite my being the parent locked in with the sick kid. She was on my chest breathing in my face for like 12 hours to boot.

Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Slaan posted:

Same, but the aquarium. Otters and jellyfish are apparently the best :kimchi:

Can confirm, went to the aquarium recently and the otter was a major showoff my for 16 month old daughter. Little bit of fancy flip for the 4yo, but hammed it up for the baby.

My son loved spotting the octopus and figuring out where he was hiding. :3: