Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

majestic12 posted:

3 year old, as she lovingly put a crown on my head: “this is your crown”

oh thank you

“This is your poop head crown”

Lol, more like majestic2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

If you have rice and a pillowcase and a microwave, you can make a heat pack.

Fill the pillow case with a heap of rice and knot it closed.

Microwave it with a glass of water (as in, water in a glass) for 2 minutes, check the temp and microwave in minute increments until it's hot but not burning. Be careful as you may not realise how hot it is until it's been in place for a bit.

Apply to stomach. Reheat as necessary. Should ease cramping and reduce nausea.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dealt with Jesus the same way as Santa: "Some people believe..."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

That being said we've already established that the cheaper toys are from Santa but the good poo poo is from us.

loving genius.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Farquar posted:

My six year old is obsessed with The Tain by The Decemberists. An 18 minute epic that he demands whenever he gets to choose a song. That put The Decemberists in my top spot, and I certainly don't mind.

Nice. Monolord is my top artist because Empress Rising was the 2yo's pick for naptime music for quite a while.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

"Ok just so you know, at school we don't say people are 'a salty little pisser with a cock in their kisser', got it?"

Oh god. Our 5yo somehow discovered Tom Cardy and I'm dreading the phonecall about why she's asking people if they've looked in their buttholes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

remigious posted:

Yeah that seems strange. At my son’s daycare they spend like an hour outside each day, rain or shine. Maybe she just doesn’t want to be outside?

Our 2yo gets a bit feral if he doesn't get outside for a bit each day. At daycare, he'll often hug me goodbye and run outside straight away and only come inside for food, nappies and a nap.

We got my brother-in-law to send us full length waterproof suits when he was in Sweden (we're in Australia, so not really a thing here) so the goblins can explore the garden and get messy regardless of the weather.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

No trampoline parks locally, but the gymnastic clubs all do birthday party bookings. Nothing like jumping into a giant foam pit. Or tossing your 2yo into one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

Lmao we don't deserve toddlers.

No, we don't. But by the same token,

Renegret posted:

Lmao we don't deserve toddlers.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

This except substitute my own kids weird specific poo poo:

"Ice cream kitty cat Christmas tree" - the first Gabby's Dollhouse Xmas special
"Kitty cat pool Christmas swimming" - the second one

"Bolf" song - "Give that Wolf a Banana" song
Robot song - "Harder Better Faster Stronger" by daft punk
David Bowie - specifically "Modern Love" god help me if I put something else on
And like 10-12 different weird rear end names for songs she has totally made up

Lol, at least when my kids say "Dancing Legs" the video for Herbie Hancock's Rockit has goddamn dancing legs in it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sundae posted:

This is really tough! On one hand, I'm glad our daughter loves our attention. On the other hand, god almighty please learn to self-entertain already.

I understand why people have kids young; there's just not enough energy to go around when you're 40+ and have a 3 yr old.

I'm 46 and have 4 7yo and under. I feel I'm lucky my body has proved resilient to aging and I'm still capable of rolling about on the floor and chasing the toddler.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Started potty training today for our 2.5 year old. Felt like we'd prepped as best we could. Everything went fairly well (got him on the potty successfully a few times) but this kid absolutely will not go without pants, which makes it very hard to catch when he needs to go. Had a huge meltdown when we tried to take them away, so now we're just staring at his crotch waiting for the first sign of trouble.

We started with our 2.5andabit two days ago. He's happy to go pants less or naked, which is good, but anything on his lower torso must feel too much like nappy, so a couple of pee accidents while trying shorts only. He's at daycare today trialling pants only with about 4 spares.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

We flew Australia to Malaysia when our eldest was 10mths. We were fortunate that we got a cheap upgrade to business, so it was more spacious to hold a baby. She cried a little bit but the grumpy Asian business man who I thought might be pissed actually have me a smile like "yeah, been there."

Flying airlines from countries that love kids is also helpful. Thai Air is especially good for this.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The go-to for nappy rash in Australia is Sudocrem which is zinc oxide. You can also use it as sunscreen if you're out playing a Test.

I'm figuring Aquaphor is something similar?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

cough-phenergan-coughcough.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Riven posted:

I see babies and I think “what a chubby little baby” and then remember they’re probably in the middle of the range and my perspective is just skewed lol.

I get the reverse of this. Our first three were all over 4kg (95 odd percentile) at birth, while the fourth was 'only' 3.3kg (50ish percentile), so she's the 'little' one.

She also threw us by coming at 39 weeks, while the others were 41 and a couple days. My wife had only started maternity leave three days before, cos we thought we had two more weeks. I had to run out and buy little baby clothes because we didn't have anything small enough for her.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I know my daughter is telling me her heart's truth when she whispers it in my ear instead of saying it out loud

Naw. My 5yo likes to do this, but she needs to work on whispering, because it's usually an uncomfortably ticklish bwshfswhgrshswsh and I have to ask her to say it normally.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

After about 4 when they can safely entertain themselves, they get easier. Our 2, nearly 3yo is the major headache, but he's slowly getting easier to deal with as he starts to talk more. The 9mo is likely to live as robustly as he does, but we won't have a baby to distract us from her, so she'll probably have an easier go of it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Me miserable! Which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat'ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

(The last bit of your post made me think of that. But seriously, a bit of sleep can make all the difference.)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

Today's excuse to not take a bath:

The water is too wet

As the one who usually dries the floor after our kids bathe, I'm going to have to agree.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

<shouting out my window in Australia> Go the gently caress to sleep, baby!

I was driving 5yo and 7yo to their first gymnastics class this arvo, listening to Prince.

7yo asks me what he means when he says "let's sweat together".

Goddamn it, child. Must you pick up on the most awkward lyrics to explain?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I love how universal that story is. I'm slightly short sighted, so I can function without glasses, but it's much nicer being able to see things clearly beyond a few metres. I didn't get glasses until I was 26, probably with a similar cow catalyst. I remember looking at the stars for the first time with glasses and them not being little blurry smears.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Parenting:

Brawnfire posted:

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

children

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Obviously your mileage will vary, but flying airlines from countries with more positive attitudes towards small children (Thailand is especially good for this, but had a good experience with Brunei Air) can also make things a bit easier.

We went to Thailand/Malaysia at the start of last year with 6/4/2yos and my heavily pregnant wife. Our strategy was sitting behind the bulkheads, so noone there to be kicked.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nocheez posted:

You will learn not to relish in these events, as something worse is always lurking around the corner the next time it's your turn.

I don't post much here but I think I'll start. I have a just turned 6-year old and a 2.5 year old. Their birthdays are exactly 6 months apart :3:

That's pretty handy. Our family (me, wife, 4 kids) on the other hand, all decided to be born about the same time. We have five of our birthdays between this Friday and mid April, with three falling in one week.

Just glad I like cake.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sounds like a good start to a noise marine army.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nybble posted:

Did she accidentally watch The Blob (1988) (speaking from experience)

Or hear this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIg61FTi5s

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

Man I suddenly get it. I think I caught whatever bug it was that put my baby in the hospital. For the first time in recent memory I called out sick from work for myself because I just couldn't push through it.

All I want is a giant daddy 20x my size to pick me up and cuddle me to sleep

shut up

I've always planned to get a 5x scale of my own chest and arms installed in a spare room if I won the lottery.

Or a time machine and a shrink ray.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously thought this was Q and A for a moment

I mean, the hospital sandwich and tea you get after waking up from a colonoscopy is fantastic, especially after the prep and the lovely druggy nap. But not thrown in air by giant fantastic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

I don't know how to handle the diaper absorbing it all! It's liquid! That's the problem!

Well, the dry heaving is a problem too but I'm just gonna have to put on my big boy pants for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNyfLAKlEws

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Renegret posted:

How the gently caress did you post something with only 10 views

You're going to quadruple the view count by posting it in the thread

Lol, 19 views now. Who 'liked' it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oodles posted:

Just had parents evening with our 12 year old before she starts high school in the summer.

It was miserable, she doesn’t concentrate, doesn’t play well with others, rushes her work, and is seriously disorganised.

She’s got a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD, but because of the worldwide shortage we can’t get it prescribed.

Fuckin heartbreaking.

That loving sucks. I hadn't realised there was a shortage of lisdex. I don't know where you are, but if it's anything like Australia, getting the diagnosis is a long process and even keeping in top of medication when in supply is tricky.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

It's literally a supply issue.

In Australia, we're reliant on the US manufacturing lisdexamphetamine, but the FDA(?) puts hard limits on its manufacture. I think in Europe those limits aren't there but Takeda, the company that manufactures it, doesn't seem to have anticipated demand.

The problem is that the people currently prescribed it are having trouble obtaining it and each new prescription makes it that much harder.

We have a patient at work (I'm a psych nurse) currently on both lisdex and dexys and their life is in a poo poo place already (ASD, ADHD, ID and nearly abandoned by their disability support provider). It's scary that it might easily get just that much shitter.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

*me, showering before bed*
5yo, wearing goggles, using straw as snorkel: what kind of sea animal are you?
Me: dunno
5yo: you can be a blob fish.
Me: :mad:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

We've had good luck with these:

Munchkin 360 sippy cups

Especially because three out of four monsters didn't like bottles.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Our two eldest got lots of Leonard Cohen and still like me singing "One of us cannot be wrong" from time to time.

The youngest two mostly get "Ashes to Ashes".

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

My husband used to sing No Surprises to our newborn because it sounds like a lullaby

Lol. Portishead's "Wandering Star" is another great soothing song with wildly depressing lyrics.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

You fools, don't let your babies get a taste for human flesh!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Our 7yo had a day trip to Melbourne this week and picked out a little talking Goofy in a tow truck you for her 3yo brother. He loves it and I'm not too fussed about noisy toys, but disappointingly it doesn't make the Goofy yelp.

Why would you make a talking Goofy toy and not include the yelp? It barely makes the hyuck laugh, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Install a slide.