Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Showing my toddler that you can dip fries in ketchup. He has understood my instructions to mean that you take a single fry, dip it in ketchup, lick the ketchup off, and then put it back on the plate. And then when you want more, you need to use a completely new french fry.

So now I have a bunch of half soggy french fries and no ketchup left.

This is a new one; I've seen plenty of kids take a chip, dip it in salsa, lick off the salsa and then go back for another dip... like their brains can't quite get around the idea that something can be simultaneously food and a spoon, so they just treat the chip like a spoon. Chips and salsa, pita and hummus, carrots & ranch dressing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

redreader posted:

Me before kids: I will never feed my kids mcdonalds or burger king, it's trash!
Me pretty much weekly now: "ok it's burger king night" (it's right next to daycare, and no there's nothing better anywhere nearby!).

It's not even cheap for 4 people. If I get it delivered instead of picking it up myself (I am picking it up tonight, the drive through is right there) I might as well pay an extra 10-15 bucks and get proper food instead!

With our first kid on the way, I'm full of similar good intentions (no fast food! dinner at the table! bedtime at 7! television is a sometimes food! no loving phones or ipads for toddlers!) but I watched my in-laws raise their kid (who is now 6 years old and still sleeps in mom & dad's bed) and I'm just wondering how fast all my good intentions are going to slip away.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Bad King posted:

Where does the money go to operate a daycare?

I mean, a common pre-k daycare in my region costs about as much as a postsecondary full-time tuition or there-abouts. That tuition for the university supports a massive administration, hundreds of acres of campus, working professionals and the assorted support staff. What are the darn economics for daycares and why do I hear that it's not even very profitable to operate one? It just...baffles me.

~$3-4k a month, paying for retail salaries for caregivers and what else?!

Renegret posted:

building's rent, facilities, insurance, admin/support staff overhead, licensing fees, franchising fees, food, and I guess classroom supplies but let's be real, teachers love spending their own money on their own supplies even when they don't have to. I'm not saying it's right but daycares run on thinner margins than you think and I don't know what the solution is.

My wife's aunt started a daycare, grew to multiple locations, and is now franchising it... but I know very little about the business. I better start learning something though because we're probably gonna need a daycare before the year's out unless I get really creative with my work-from-home hours.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The threat of having her never-used crib given to us (pending parents) convinced my 6 y.o. niece to start sleeping in it. Her parents pulled off one side and shoved it up against their bed... they're hoping she'll transition over to her (never-used) real bed after a week or two like this.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

c355n4 posted:

I'm thinking about getting one of those folding wagons for the kids to ride about instead of a stroller. Any recommendations? Or are they all crap?

We got a Radio Flyer folding wagon because we had seen our friend's daughter get excellent use out of the same model for years. Hoping it works out as well for us too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTUGC5K

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

space uncle posted:

My grandpa got the radio flyer wagon (the original metal and wood one for our kid) for us (I guess it’s a family tradition) and its been turned into a garage storage container.

The kid refuses to pull it and when I pull him in it he tries to stand up, which has lead to one bloody lip.

It is so much less convenient than a stroller and isn’t the super space age wagons that I see all the 2+ kid families use to trek 100lbs of provisions and children to the beach.

We had a regular Radio Flyer wagon when I was a kid and we barely used it, except on super windy days. Then we'd pull it into the road and rig up a broomstick & a hoodie as a sail. If you were good, you could steer & manage the sail, and the drat thing made pretty good speed.

This is all predicated on living somewhere with high winds, flat roads, and essentially zero traffic, of course.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The guy who taught our infant CPR class said something like "yeah it's pretty scary the first time they get a febrile seizure" which was actually weirdly reassuring.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of poop

Why does my son always poop right in the middle of dinner

Dinner is two hours later on Mondays because my wife has late afternoon stuff, and yet he still poops right in the middle of it! How!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrocolic_reflex ?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alterian posted:

I did a wipe recently and made him do it with me.

intriguing potty-training techniques

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The best-behaved, well-adjusted, and most fun kids we've known have been those whose parents severely limited their TV time and didn't let them play on phones/tablets. Now, are they great kids because they haven't had TV/phone exposure, or are they great kids because their parents are sufficiently involved to be worrying about this stuff in the first place, and the TV thing is just coincidental? I don't know. But we're keeping the TV off when the baby arrives (inducing tomorrow evening, if he doesn't come on his own before then), and I'm going to hold out on giving him a phone as long as possible.

We've known several people who gave their kids an Apple Watch when they got to be about 10. They can make phone calls, text, etc. from it but it's just not the same level of attention-suck. Seems like a good middle-ground, although frankly I think it'd be better for everyone involved if kids just went off to school and didn't contact their parents at all during the day -- I'm also blown away by how frequently modern daycares seem to send out pictures & midday text updates to parents!

As for schools, I went to school in the same small town for all of K-12. Graduating class of about 60. No AP courses, math topped out at pre-calc, but we had a pretty drat good band program and lots of shop classes if you like that sorta thing. Maybe 50% went to college, most to the nearest state school but we'd also sent some to Stanford etc.; I ended up going to a pretty drat good engineering college. The kids whose parents cared (mostly the Mormons) excelled, the others mostly just coasted through. Honestly, I think the lack of an "accelerated" track gave kids who were academically strong an opportunity to branch out a little and maintain other interests instead of constantly slaving at high-level classwork -- I took drafting and "home maintenance" (learn how to mix concrete, how to do basic surveying, etc.), read an absolute poo poo-load, taught myself how to use Linux and do some programming, and I was heavily involved with the band program.

On a side note, when I was in HS, the school administration was obsessed with what they called a "portfolio", where you'd save coursework, report cards, and awards over the course of your 4 years and assemble them in a giant 3-ring binder. They told us it would be essential when applying to college. It absolutely loving was not, and I wonder if they still maintain that idiotic fiction...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was recently distressed to learn that The Kids These Days don't know who Mr Rogers is. It sounds like the Daniel Tiger show is pretty good, but I guess I've got Feelings because I watched a ton of Mr Rogers. At least you can get the old stuff from archive.org :filez:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is it a needle, or did she just forget to take out some pins?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

my son is 2.5 weeks old at this point.

i think he's entered a growth spurt because he's just eating like crazy... when he's awake, anyway. unfortunately the transition between "absolutely limp sleeping child" and "screaming hungry hellbeast rooting at his own hands, my t-shirt, my finger, a puff of air brushing his cheek" is pretty abrupt.

Oh, and after experiencing "seedy yellow poops", I've told my wife she probably shouldn't make paneer bhurji for a while (google image search if you want context)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

It's funny that there's been so many nasty diapers but nothing will be worse than trying to wipe that sticky black first poop as a brand-new dad who hadn't ever changed a baby before, ever

Huge relief when the normal poops started and they just wipe right up. Sure, it spreads around more and he might get a couple flecks on his beanbag but it beats hell out of trying to swab up a big blob of road tar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A Bad King posted:

Poop chat has been a highlight for this lurker.

Sometimes my toddler surprises me with a poo the size of a small mammal. It's like, how does it even fit inside their tiny body? It's at least a whole kilo in weight. Where did it come from!? Is the intestines just a miniature Bag of Holding? I mean, wow.

ours always pees on the drive to the doctor's office, so we're pulling a 2 oz diaper off just before the nurse comes in to weigh him. He was back to birth weight, we swear! Then he pissed it all away!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

speaking of gas, has anyone here had the pleasure of using the "windi"? i was not ready

We have them, and I've occasionally contemplated it when he's seemingly inconsolable late at night, but it's always turned out that yet another ounce of milk (after several ounces in a bottle plus an hour of breastfeeding) was all he really wanted.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I said something was ridiculous ONE TIME and now my son keeps saying I'm "dickless"

Parenting Thread: now my son keeps saying I'm "dickless"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So it's been about 25 years since I've interacted with a babysitter in any way, and that was as the babysittee, so now as a new dad I'm curious: what's it like finding/hiring a babysitter these days?

I know my parents would just call one of a few local high school girls on the rare evening they took for themselves, but this was small town America in 1995 where they just knew that Suzie Jones is a nice girl who'll watch the kids until 11 for $40 without raiding the liquor cabinet.

I assume these days you just download the bbysttr.io app and hope you offered a high enough tip that the sitter won't cancel halfway through the night, or something equally nightmarish and gig-economy-esque?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We got the Nuna Triv Next and it's pretty nice, but the baby is only 1 month old so I guess we'll see how I feel in a year. Takes me about 30 seconds to get the stroller out, unfold it, and move the seat from the car to the stroller. We considered the Trvl but it felt kinda flimsy, and we just plain didn't like the Tavo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hannibal posted:

I feel like I'm having a stroke reading these stroller names.

Baby stuff has the worst names. IMO "Tommee Tippee" is the worst but it appears to be a British company so stupid names are par for the course.

Also I like that we've decided the Scandinavians are the best at baby stuff, so a lot of high-end poo poo needs to either be made in Denmark or at least have a Scandinavian-sounding name.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If leashes aren't an option, well... Have you ever seen Cool Hand Luke?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oodles posted:

It’s funny, everyone always says that it’s good that she reads, but she does it instead of doing anything else. Pooping? While reading, brushing teeth? while reading, Watching TV? While reading.

We also got a call from her new school just after she started, that they had to confiscate her book that she had on her lap during lessons.

I used to read as I walked from class to class. I don't know how I wasn't constantly running into people.

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm gonna give my kid a cellphone at the same age I was given a knife: too young to reasonably expect anything other than him losing it or hurting himself with it.

Can you break the tip off a cellphone trying to pry a knot from a plank of wood?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Can you hold a knife pointed upwards, about 24 inches from your face, and stroke the flat side in an upward motion for hours on end?

I think even before phones many teenagers spent hours stroking something ~24 inches from their face.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alterian posted:

I just paid my last month of daycare ever after paying it for more or less 10 years straight.
The before and after school care the school charges is pennies in comparison.

Alterian posted:

I just paid my last month of daycare. I more or less have paid for it for 10 years straight.

the rare second-day double-post

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alterian posted:

It's been a long few days. I had to tell my 10 and almost 5 year old we had to put our cat down while they were asleep.

I'm not calling you out for being a bad poster or anything, I just had a sense of deja vu when I read your second post and was amused when I saw how similar the two were.

Sorry to hear about the cat :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Our 1 month old seems to really only sleep well on the breastfeeding pillow cuddled up against mom. If we transfer him to a bassinet, he's usually awake again within 15 minutes and fusses until he's back on mom again. I am apparently not a suitable substitute from his POV, and also I need to be working during the day. This means my wife ends up spending pretty much the entire day sitting on the couch holding him, and increasingly doing so in the night too as he's started waking up again 30 minutes after a feeding. She basically prefers to just sit there in a funk with the lights off because "it works" but I feel like this is basically a perfect recipe for depression.

I know that at this age, things are changing frequently, but any suggestions would be welcome. We have him swaddled when we put him down. He doesn't seem quite big enough to be interested by the toys we show him etc., so it's a bit of a challenge to figure out what might keep him entertained (read: not screaming) when awake in the bassinet. The doctor gave us the OK to try pacifiers at the 1 month appointment, but he's only interested maybe 20% of the time.

edit: yesterday he spent like 15 minutes mostly happy in the bouncy chair and even accidentally spun the little toys that mount to it! Then he started to scream.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We have been using a Tula something-or-other occasionally and it works pretty well although he mostly just sleeps. We've used it for meals and for walks. I will suggest that she try it more often, thank you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

We have SO much white noise going.

Most nights our bedroom has the fan going, the white noise thingy in the bassinet running, and the Hatch playing ocean noises ($70 for a Bluetooth noise generator & nightlight and it can't stream music like a $20 BT speaker? whatever, somebody bought it for us).

I'm not sure if it helps the baby much but it's surely training me to need a womb-like sleeping environment.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

space uncle posted:

I think it’s just their small body mass or kid temp regulation or something.

Kids have a way higher surface area : body mass ratio than adults, so they cool off really fast. Water's a way better conductor of heat than air, so even a "warm" pool is sucking out body temperature.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just ordered a shitload of marbles from ebay, because I watched a Twilight Zone episode where the guy gets nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, and it made me nostalgic for playing marbles as a kid, so we're gonna see if my 6 year old niece has even the slightest interest or if <long ramble about kids these days and phones>

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

When we were introducing food at around 9-12 months I started carrying around a packet of Diablo Tacobell Hot Sauce. He was a lil scavenger that demanded anything we were eating. So I'd tell him "ok but it's spicy" and squirt a bit of the sauce on whatever. He made a silly face and stopped asking me for stuff. My wife tried the same, but lil dude never believed her because she didn't carry around hot sauce.

~Food before 1 is just for fun~

wait why were you trying to discourage the kid from eating what you were eating?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Wife cut our daughter's hair just after 2 because too much crap was getting caught in it and brushing it out was becoming a painful chore

I found out a lot of cultures shave their kid's head shortly after birth, especially those whose kids are born with a full head of hair. My guess is that it helps clean up any birth goop that doesn't wash out easy, probably helps minimize cradle cap, etc; but the myth is that without getting your head shaved your hair will be thin and sparse, or something

Hindus do "mundan" at 13 months, fully shaving the kid's head. I don't know if we're gonna do it or not but the guy has had a proper mullet since birth.

edit: apparently not everybody does it at 13 months, but my wife's family does it then.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

trying to find a nanny who doesn't demand cash... whew

we're doing a nanny share with a CPA so she's insistent on doing it all above-board, and i'm not down with aiding tax evasion either, but goddamn

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Huh, we really liked the Avent bottles. Started him on a size one and have worked up to a size 4 at this point. Of all the nipples we've tried, the Avent seems to be most like breastfeeding, which was important as we also wanted him to breastfeed well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Yeah I think an older iPod would be the move. Find a Classic or something and throw some stuff on there.

Edit: For the hell of it I checked on Best Buy to see if MP3 players are still around for puchase and it looks like Sandisk makes these little cute players that might work?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-clip-sport-plus-32gb-mp3-player-black/6460176.p?skuId=6460176

Really though, iPod would be the easiest.

Hah, I was just about to suggest that exact device!

I have the older version, with a monochrome screen and no bluetooth (but it can take an SD card...) and it's just great. If it's still kicking when my kid is older, I'll probably pass it along to him -- with the same stuff loaded, so he can enjoy Matt Berry, Fairport Convention, and the Lord of the Rings audiobooks.

I've also got a walkman-type cassette player kicking around that he may get first, since tapes are really quite kid-friendly.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was thinking about it the other day and did it really take Disney like 90 years to put two princesses in a movie? That poo poo's had staying power... put two little girls who weren't even born when it came out in the same room, and the first thing they talk about is who's Elsa and who's Anna.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

My wife and my apple music wrap-ups are mostly Raffi songs, with mine heavily including Sesame Street and They Might Be Giants for kids as well.

My wife played Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" a lot when the baby was a couple months old, so he's her #1 artist for the year. The kid seemed to like it when we'd play with his feet & hands while the song played.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

Technically, The Little Mermaid has 7 princesses :colbert:

Name 3 without looking it up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Eeyo posted:

With playing outside I’m a little nervous about my son doing that.

We’ve got a corner lot so no actual back yard. We have a nice sizeable front yard though. We live on a residential street with a 25mph limit, but there’s a bread factory nearby and a lot of the workers come screaming through the neighborhood when they get off their shifts. It’s all straight roads too.

I’ll just have to figure out when the worst traffic is I guess and just avoid those times or choose to go to the playground instead.

How about a fence? You don't have to go nuts, I had some neighbors with little kids who put up a maybe 3 foot tall picket fence around their front yard. Non-obtrusive, attractive, and it kept the kids from getting excited and running into the street.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

I assume that's so the teacher can 'correct' the invitation list for kids who were 'forgotten' right?

love to find out that the teacher invited Bitey Tom to my kid's birthday party without my knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Why are three separate poster's kids invited to trampoline parks? Did I miss a memo?

I assume it's going around Instagram or something, like how a couple months ago everyone on earth had to cut some leg holes in a pumpkin and stick the baby in that clammy thing for some pics.