Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My son will not tell us he pooped until he gets a to the changing table. Then, no matter what state hispants are in he will say "I pooped"

I just realized that he hasn't pooped in the same room as me or his mom for like a month now. He scurries off to another room or holds it in until independent play. The he waits until we enter and smell the smell. When he here's us say "*baby* did you poop?" He giggles like it's the funniest prank in the world.

I don't understand this puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kecske posted:

But then there's those special times when he'll be out playing on his scooter, casually hop off and put his hands on his hips and poo poo himself without a care in the world.

Pure freedom

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KirbyKhan posted:

My son will not tell us he pooped until he gets a to the changing table. Then, no matter what state hispants are in he will say "I pooped"

I just realized that he hasn't pooped in the same room as me or his mom for like a month now. He scurries off to another room or holds it in until independent play. The he waits until we enter and smell the smell. When he here's us say "*baby* did you poop?" He giggles like it's the funniest prank in the world.

I don't understand this puzzle

Our daughter does the same thing. She has 2 poop closets at home. I'm 99% sure she is resisting the toilet because she wants to poop in private, the same way we let her pee and wash her hands by herself. In hindsight, waiting a long time to potty train introduced a shame factor that probably isn't as strong at 18-24 months so the poop is quite the challenge.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Speaking of poop

Why does my son always poop right in the middle of dinner

Dinner is two hours later on Mondays because my wife has late afternoon stuff, and yet he still poops right in the middle of it! How!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of poop

Dinner is two hours later on Mondays because my wife has late afternoon stuff, and yet he still poops right in the middle of it! How!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrocolic_reflex ?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My kid likes to go under the dining room table to poop. We always tell her she should go poop on the potty instead and she always says no. We have a potty in the bathroom that she knows is there. She knows what it's for. I'm just gonna keep asking and gently pushing her to try using it until it hopefully clicks for her. I won't be too worried unless we have zero progress over the next year.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Brawnfire posted:

Speaking of poop

This happens to us too. Also love it when he refuses to eat and then poops. Would be nice if you pooped earlier…

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nachos posted:

From my one experience so far I don’t understand how “potty training” always bundles poop and pee together. Our daughter was potty trained late-ish around 3 years (after a failed half assed attempt 6 months earlier) and figured out pee in less than a week. It was seriously no sweat, maybe 2-3 accidents total. She is still pooping in a diaper 5 months later and holds it every day during daycare. I don’t understand when it will click for her.

yeah my son is like this, he just turned 3 and for peeing (during the day, he still can't stay dry through the night consistently) he's basically fine, sometimes he pees on his own but usually if you put him on the potty every two hours he's fine. has like one or two accidents a month.

but he has pooped in the potty less than five times. holds it through daycare, holds it all day on the weekend, and then almost without fail poops like 20 minutes after we put on his overnight diaper. it's frustrating but i am trying to be philosophical about it. one day...

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This was us until we told him "no more nappies at night". He shat the bed and his pants about three or four times then started reluctantly pooing in the toilet once a week, now does it every night before bed.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Toddler does a pretty good job of letting us know when she needs to use the bathroom, usually by running to her potty shouting "I need to go pee-pee/poop!" Today she told us "I need to go poop, you guys" as we were cleaning up from dinner. I don't know where she learned to say "You guys" but it kills me every time she ends a sentence like that.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

mine (2.5 y.o.) has started having more accidents at daycare but apparently they think it's a combination of:
(1) She can't get onto the (adult height) toilet by herself very easily (she is small and not very coordinated)
(2) She is getting interested in what other kids are doing and not paying as much attention to, like, "ah dang I need to pee"

they're not worried about it, so whatever. she rarely has accidents at home, although I dread when we start doing no more diapers overnight or if she has a regression when kid #2 arrives

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

now if I could only get her to fall asleep without a parent present and with less than two + hours of bedtime poo poo going on, i'd be a proud dad

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The switch from crib to bed has extended bedtime by 90-120 minutes. Crib was 3 months ago.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

My older daughter was fully trained at 3. We did a pretty lazy and slow method and kept things very chill which worked for her.

We never did the potty because they gross me out and I didn't want to deal with transitioning from a potty to the toilet as I'd seen kids get scared of using the big toilet after getting used to a potty, so we just got a smaller seat with steps up to the toilet. I think she was around 2 when we introduced the seat, and we'd encourage her to sit on it for fun every few days and she'd get to watch a Daniel Tiger toilet training YouTube compilation which goes for around 10 minutes.

But we didn't introduce undies until just before 3, when daycare said they thought she was ready to try and that most other kids were in undies. We sent her in undies, she had a couple of accidents the first few days, then bing bang boom she was done. She managed to night train herself immediately too, no idea how that happened but we had nothing to do with it. Just realised her nappies were dry in the morning so we were suddenly done.

Second daughter is now 2.5 and we've been doing the same thing. She takes herself to the toilet and yells "I want to watch baby tiger!" Occasionally wees, occasionally doesn't. Honestly parenting is stressful enough that I've made the conscious decision to not let this be A Thing we need to stress out about.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nachos posted:

The switch from crib to bed has extended bedtime by 90-120 minutes. Crib was 3 months ago.

i had this same experience and i regret to say it never got better for me. i miss being able to have private time after 7.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nessa posted:

My kid likes to go under the dining room table to poop. We always tell her she should go poop on the potty instead and she always says no. We have a potty in the bathroom that she knows is there. She knows what it's for. I'm just gonna keep asking and gently pushing her to try using it until it hopefully clicks for her. I won't be too worried unless we have zero progress over the next year.

If it's not a completely gross idea to you, put a potty under the dining room table to get her used to the idea of it being the thing she's supposed to poop in. And then gradually move it towards the bathroom. We did something similar for our son (starting in the corner of the living room behind the couch), and it worked surprisingly well.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Maybe around 2.5 we started the potty. He was great at peeing in it but not pooping. I don’t think we had to convince much for the pee.

We basically just bribed hard for poop, promising an ep of Bluey afterwards. We honored it literally no matter what (“8:00 in the morning? Here is a Bluey”). Wanted to go that route because around 18mon+ he had some serious bouts of constipation and so we wanted to make it as enjoyable an experience as possible. FWIW we started bribing with a chocolate chip but he is way more into TV than food, so it switched to Bluey.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"What did mama do in the bathroom?"
"Poopoo!"

I taught her well

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Does anyone travel regularly with kids have PreCheck? We're considering enrolling, but I'm not sure it's an obvious advantage given the cost and time to enroll for travel 1-2 times a year. I used to solo-travel a lot for work before the pandemic and never had PreCheck (though I'd occasionally randomly get the PreCheck badge on my boarding pass) and I was just efficient about going through security so it didn't seem worth it to me back then. As I understand now, advantages:
  • PreCheck lines may be shorter/faster at busier airports (probably the biggest advantage, especially at airports like ATL or MCO).
  • Kids under 12 can accompany parents in the PreCheck line without needing to enroll themselves.
  • Keep shoes, jackets, and belts on, and 3-in-1 liquids and electronics in bags.
Unchanged from regular lines though:
  • Kids under 12 don't have to remove their shoes either way.
  • Kids still have to be removed from strollers and strollers x-rayed (correct?).
  • Breastmilk and prepared formula still need to be declared and inspected.
Anything else I'm missing?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We haven’t traveled yet, but I have precheck from some business travel- it was about $80 for 5 years, and you don’t have to buy it for the kids. Additionally- check your credit card as a lot of them reimburse for precheck fees.

I’m looking forward to not having to take out tablets or be fussing to put my own shoes back on while the kids get ready to run into the depths of the airport, especially at an airport like MCO where security is going to be a madhouse.

The precheck lines I have been in are a lot quicker and the agents and travelers are generally more chill. It’s stupid racketeering but here we are.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I've only flown once with kids since I got precheck. I only remember the shorter lines. Everything else is such a minor hassle compared to standing in line with a toddler for 45 minutes, vs 5 with precheck. If you're flying out of a bigger airport it's nice.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Does anyone travel regularly with kids have PreCheck? We're considering enrolling, but I'm not sure it's an obvious advantage given the cost and time to enroll for travel 1-2 times a year. I used to solo-travel a lot for work before the pandemic and never had PreCheck (though I'd occasionally randomly get the PreCheck badge on my boarding pass) and I was just efficient about going through security so it didn't seem worth it to me back then. As I understand now, advantages:
  • PreCheck lines may be shorter/faster at busier airports (probably the biggest advantage, especially at airports like ATL or MCO).
  • Kids under 12 can accompany parents in the PreCheck line without needing to enroll themselves.
  • Keep shoes, jackets, and belts on, and 3-in-1 liquids and electronics in bags.
Unchanged from regular lines though:
  • Kids under 12 don't have to remove their shoes either way.
  • Kids still have to be removed from strollers and strollers x-rayed (correct?).
  • Breastmilk and prepared formula still need to be declared and inspected.
Anything else I'm missing?

We got precheck after we left the breast milk/formula stage but yes I think your post is 100% correct.

I would recommend it. I traveled a few times with a baby without it, it sucked. I traveled a few times with a baby with it, it sucked less.

Juggling the crying child/shoes/iPad/belt/baggie of liquids/stroller through the X-Ray and scanner does become significantly easier when you don’t have to take all the poo poo out and put it all back on. I remember one trip where I think we had two carry ons, iPad, laptop, liquids, shoes, purse, diaper bag, jackets, and stroller without precheck and it felt like it took 30 minutes to get through security.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’ve flown a ton with kids and have precheck and it’s like a million times better. I usually take all their crap with me and race my husband (who doesn’t have it). Even with me and two kids and a ton of carry on stuff we routinely beat him by 20-30 minutes AND with less stress. The one or two times we don’t have precheck (airline incompatible or international travel or whatever) have only underscored how important precheck is to my traveling with kids sanity.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Precheck is 100% worth it. We flew out of Austin recently and the standard security line ran all the way down the baggage check terminal, pre check was literally zero wait. Saved us an hour of toddler line wrangling, easy.

My experience is that precheck is even more useful at smaller but not tiny airports since it usually completely bypasses the standard line.

Finally, if you don't travel often and can swing the substantial cost first class is a loving cheat code for family travel. For Delta you get two free bags per person (and higher weight limits!), you bypass the normal ticketing line, board first with fewer people taking up room, there is more overhead space, real snack options, enough room for kid entertainment during flight, your bags arrive before anyone else's, and more. Hell, if your kid is being calm and the captain is feeling friendly you might even get a photo of your kid in the cockpit.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can confirm. Wife took son across country on a First Class ticket and has nothing but glowing things to say about it.

I had to take dog with me in a UHaul to drive for 6 days. I would not recommend that, just burn everything you own and start over from scratch at your new place.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
8 year old sass today when I told her that she has to do schoolwork before playing video games. Her response:
"Daddy you are pretty much wrong about everything and that's why I love you"

Thanks, kiddo. :v:

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Any advice when it comes to public school (districts) (in the US) on how to evaluate them?

I know about the U.S. News & World Report rankings but I have a feeling those are, skewed? My fear is that the College Readiness Index is driven by a lot of "teach to the test" mentality and some districts prioritize their ranking above all else. But what other metrics are useful when considering if a district would be able to provide a decent amount of opportunity and challenge for my kids?

The overwhelmingly most powerful influence on children's education is parental interest and encouragement. In terms of life outcomes, doing economically better than parents, etc., school quality and teacher quality are not very important. In terms of getting into a top school, being an elite student in a mediocre school is way better than being a mid-tier student at an elite prep.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Academician Nomad posted:

The overwhelmingly most powerful influence on children's education is parental interest and encouragement. In terms of life outcomes, doing economically better than parents, etc., school quality and teacher quality are not very important. In terms of getting into a top school, being an elite student in a mediocre school is way better than being a mid-tier student at an elite prep.

This is interesting, do you happen to have any additional reading on this topic, especially the part about school and teacher quality not being important? It would bring a lot of peace of mind about choosing a school if this is well known and established. I love public schooling in principle and want to avoid the private/charter school environment if possible but unfortunately I live in the U.S. and the public schools in our area are pretty low rated and seem woefully underfunded.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

If it's not a completely gross idea to you, put a potty under the dining room table to get her used to the idea of it being the thing she's supposed to poop in. And then gradually move it towards the bathroom. We did something similar for our son (starting in the corner of the living room behind the couch), and it worked surprisingly well.

Haha, I actually asked her if I should put the potty under the table for her and she was all like, "No!" It's an idea that I'll consider for the future.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

As a professor I can say I've seen kids from the best schools be awful students and students from not great schools really excell. The biggest leg up you could give your kid would be to teach them to be effective communicators (I can't tell you how SHITTTTTAAAAY students write now adays) and be comfortable using technology even if they don't plan on being in a tech major. Real technology, not chromebooks and tablets.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

When we were looking at schools as part of deciding which neighborhoods to include in our buying plans the main thing I looked at in the state school reports was chronic absenteeism, especially in middle and high school.

Regularly missing class being a normalized thing among peers seems like a nightmare to try and fight as a parent.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alterian posted:

As a professor I can say I've seen kids from the best schools be awful students and students from not great schools really excell. The biggest leg up you could give your kid would be to teach them to be effective communicators (I can't tell you how SHITTTTTAAAAY students write now adays) and be comfortable using technology even if they don't plan on being in a tech major. Real technology, not chromebooks and tablets.

The thing I'm most worried about is how do I teach "how to touch computer" to a child in this era. When I was a wee kirbykhan I set up a free Juno account, I defeated a net nanny, and I double clicked executables and warez.

That and land navigation. How do I teach my children how to follow a route or a map of it is illegal for them to exist outside of the home unattended? It wasn't illegal for me to be outside when I was like 7. But by the time my boy turns 7 I feel like I got to keep him in handcuffs otherwise some helicopter mom from Next Door is gonna call CPS on us.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Colonel Whitey posted:

This is interesting, do you happen to have any additional reading on this topic, especially the part about school and teacher quality not being important? It would bring a lot of peace of mind about choosing a school if this is well known and established. I love public schooling in principle and want to avoid the private/charter school environment if possible but unfortunately I live in the U.S. and the public schools in our area are pretty low rated and seem woefully underfunded.

They're not completely unimportant, I'm slightly exaggerating, but they're WAY overrated compared to their importance in children's success.

This is one example: https://news.ncsu.edu/2012/10/wms-parcel-parents/ Similarly https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5115270/

Of course these things are all tightly correlated - parents who are involved obsess more about sending kids to the "best schools," and value education more themselves, and are typically wealthier and better educated, and have role models for parenting in an involved way, etc.

But at the end of the day, it's not worth stressing over whether another school gets 10% better scores on average or whatever. Some schools are truly terrible, no question, but anything that seems at least decent is not going to seriously disadvantage your kid. There are also important advantages to growing up around people who aren't in the same narrow socioeconomic/racial background as you. On one extreme, homeschooled kids often do very well academically, at a high social cost.

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 25, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

The thing I'm most worried about is how do I teach "how to touch computer" to a child in this era. When I was a wee kirbykhan I set up a free Juno account, I defeated a net nanny, and I double clicked executables and warez.

That and land navigation. How do I teach my children how to follow a route or a map of it is illegal for them to exist outside of the home unattended? It wasn't illegal for me to be outside when I was like 7. But by the time my boy turns 7 I feel like I got to keep him in handcuffs otherwise some helicopter mom from Next Door is gonna call CPS on us.

Our family computer is a desktop and I am making my oldest help maintain it. He got to "help" me when I needed to add more RAM and an extra hard drive. I did a wipe recently and made him do it with me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Academician Nomad posted:

In terms of life outcomes, doing economically better than parents, etc., school quality and teacher quality are not very important.
Perhaps this is true, but I also image that students that do excel despite school quality probably have a miserable time while they're in it.

Alterian posted:

Real technology, not chromebooks and tablets.
I use a Chromebook daily and I'm a computer systems engineer. I get what you're saying, but the problem is the lack of teaching effective use of the tools, not necessarily the tools themselves.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I use a Chromebook daily and I'm a computer systems engineer. I get what you're saying, but the problem is the lack of teaching effective use of the tools, not necessarily the tools themselves.

God, yes. I work with university students, and I'm constantly blown away by how little they understand technology. Even navigating a website seems beyond them, they don't know what a homepage is, I have to hold their hand through uploading a document or resetting their password.

Having said that, in the other side of my job I work with the general population, and the number of people around my age who literally grew up alongside technology but have even less understanding......is terrifying. Obviously socio-economics accounts for a good chunk of that, but we were taught this poo poo in school in my little po-dunk town.

Please, teach your kids about technology. For the sake of my sanity.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wish my students would have to pass a tech test or take a basic computer course in order to take my classes. I had to do it when I started college back in the day. My test would be to hand them a flash drive with some photos and a word doc zipped together and tell them they need to log into their school account and put the document on their one drive and embed the photos into it and print it out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wife was big into "limiting screen time" and "no computers until they are 18" and it was just so very frustrating to fight against. Thank god reality kicked her butt out of that idea.

Normally I agree, computers are the devil. But we must learn to bind and control these mailer daemons lest we gently caress up the ritual and end up their slaves.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Their lives are going to have tons of computers/‘devices’ in them, many of which are engineered to be addictive and habitual in use. I think teaching kids how to regulate their use and not make too much of an rear end of themselves on the internet is just mandatory at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When my son was first born my technology fear was, how do I prevent this kid access to hosed up porn.

Now I don't even give a poo poo about that. My real fear is how do I keep him away from whatever Andrew Tate analogue we have in 10 years.