Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Holy hell I didn't know daycare in the US was that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Dang. Here the municipal daycare is income based and highest you can go is full-time 288€/month for first kid, 115€/month for second and 58€/month for others. I don't have a kid yet so I don't know how much private ones are, but you do get assistance for the payments.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

First time posting in the parenting thread in honor of my boy turning three months and also having his name giving party in the same day. It's customary to keep the baby's name a secret until a (secular) name giving party or christening here, so we've been referring to him just as 'the baby' til now. Weird that we can now use his name publicly! We had to get an approval from an official naming committee for his third name, because there is only one other person with the same name in the whole country, even though it's a real name in other countries. Thankfully they approved.

Had a really nice party and baby was very cooperative while being passed from a lap to lap all day long.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I feel like one month olds are mostly sentient potatoes and just want to eat and be held. Have you tried a wrap or a baby carrier? That way your wife can do stuff while holding the baby or like, go for a walk. Our baby basically lived in Tula Free-to-Grow during the day from when he was two weeks to two months. (At 3 1/2 months he can entertain himself in a baby björn or play mat for 40 minutes).

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Placing your hand on their chest for a while after putting them down might help resettling.

Writing this with my left hand while my poor feverish baby uses my other hand as a pillow. :(

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

To continue on the same topic, how do I convince my 4 month old that 5AM is not the time to wake up? He falls asleep around 8.30PM and has been dropping night time wakeups by his own volition so that now he wakes up for the first time at 5. And wants to stay awake. I'd really, really like him to go back to sleep for an hour at least. We have blackout curtains but they aren't perfect and sunrise is at 3.45AM, which I'm guessing doesn't help.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

nachos posted:

Yeah my 4 month old woke up twice a night to eat. Maybe wake them up in the middle of the night for a feed and then put them back to sleep?

kecske posted:

Ya he's waking early because he's hungry as hell imo, do as other poster said and try a feed during the night

sharkytm posted:

You don't. He's starving. Feed him.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I feel like 4months is too early to sleep through the night as they'll need food. Maybe worth waking him at some point to put him on the breast? Could try doing a dreamfeed even.

Should have elaborated: He isn't starving, because he gets 160ml of milk whenever he wakes up. He drinks about a liter a day and is growing very well. He woke up previously at 3.30AM and then at 6ish for a bottle, but has recently started sleeping 9 hour stretches on his own. He just doesn't want to go to sleep after eating.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

G-Spot Run posted:

Leaving feeding aside for one moment and focusing on wakefulness:

Not much you can do. If they're not sleepy you can't make them sleepy. If you have an early riser at 4mo you're stuck with it for now. It's very likely to change repeatedly this year, and approximately 2 seconds after you think you've gotten used to their latest trick.

With an older kid you can try things like delaying their bedtime in 5-15m increments everyday to shuffle the window but I don't think there's any point trying it with an infant.

Yeah, I think we'll just appreciate what we've been given and not mess with it too much - now we just follow his rhythm and that has been working pretty well. It's most likely subject to change anyway, he's still very small and has fun stuff like teeth still ahead of him.

Last night he missed his last nap and went to bed an hour earlier at 7PM filled with rage, woke up for 10 minutes to hork down a bottle at 2AM and 5.30AM and then slept until 8. Babies! A mystery!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Important update on my baby waking up at the time the pig farts: He now sleeps a couple of hours on top if his 5AM bottle.

What we changed to achieve this? Nothing. Same bed time, same night routines, same amount of milk given. He just decided that catching a couple of hours of sleep after his 5AM bottle is, in fact, cool.

Babies are strange and troubleshooting them useless.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

My three year old loves turning the lights off when I'm sitting on the toilet then running away cackling

In my childhood home there's only one toilet, and you can both lock the door and turn off the lights from the outside. You can guess how peaceful going to the bathroom was, especially with four kids.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Child health center nurse: Your kid is 65 cm long, congrats

Me, the very next day: Surely these pants with a label clearly saying 62cm is a worth while investment that will fit him for weeks to come

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Baby learned to roll from back to stomach and keeps freaking me out by sleeping on his stomach now. I'm so used to seeing him sleeping like Christ the Redeemer that I need go keep checking that he's still breathing alright. I guess you get used to it?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

remigious posted:

I had a really nice three month stretch where my son stayed the same size, and just in time for fall he had another growth spurt! Does anyone else feel like you are constantly buying clothes to keep up? And on that note, where do you like shopping for toddler clothing? I used to shop at old navy but the quality is pretty lovely.

Yeah, second hand is definitely the way to go. My husband has bought a few bundles of clothes from an online market place and those plus me occasionally hitting the one dedicated kids' second hand store keeps us pretty well clothed. Plus, you can get much better quality poo poo second hand for far less if you do some investigating. One of the bundles was full of barely used merino clothes (and a pristine eyewateringly-expensive-as-new baby alpaca jacket) for far less than same amount of basic cotton clothes from H&M would've cost.

Went for a baby swimming class today! Pool was pretty fun, changing room and the showers terrible, horrible, my baby's worst nightmare. He just lost all confidence and sobbed. Next week again, yay!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah, I was kinda bummed about this thread before having my kid, but I get it now. Having a kid is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but occasionally you gotta vent about the dumb boring poo poo somewhere as well.

I have only two weeks of maternity leave left! Then it's my husband's turn to stay at home for 5 and a half months. I'm sure they are gonna have a great time, but at the same time I'm secretly glad he has to deal with the whole starting to move phase.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

EVG posted:

5 and a half months?! Holy moly. I only get 9 weeks, and half of that unpaid :sigh:

After that, we’re going to see how well I can juggle working remote and watching baby, as day care is almost as much as my take home check each month… it’s gonna be an experience!

Yeah, here each parent gets 160 days (counted Mon-Sat) of paid leave and the birthing parent gets an extra 40 days on top of that. You can gift 63 of your days to the other parent. System was a bit different before, but since men weren't using their leave (something like 12% of paternity leave got used) the system was changed to more equal to encourage men to use their leave.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hmm. Five seems a bit.. early? I think I got my first scout knife at seven when I started at cub scouts, and it was a cool place to learn how to use a knife. Plus I think at seven I had enough smarts to not immediately carve my own hand. Is your wife eager to teach her how to use it?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah I think the answer depends greatly on who is supervising and how well. Scouts were great, and my parents have both worked professionally as woodworkers and are general wilderness enthusiasts so I was surrounded by very able adults when learning.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Spent the weekend with husband's family and our boy's cousin, who's 2 weeks older than him. It's crazy how different they are at 8 months. Cousin is a really courteous baby who loves just holding things and looking at them - her fave was an empty candy box she could put things in and take them out. Ours is super loud and rambunctious and stuffs everything (including human faces) in his mouth as soon as he gets hold of anything. He's always covered in food and loves making other people laugh and smile at him.

Anyway, I love my little guy so much. He's such a funny little treat.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I've been doing occasional shifts at a daycare after my parental leave ended and gotta say, wrangling eleven 3-year-olds and trying to stop them from hurling themselves down a rocky hill with plastic mopeds has given me new appreciation for being a parent to just one baby.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Here covid vaccinations are not currently given to anyone except high-risk groups, cases are rising rapidly and I do occasional covering shifts in a daycare so I'm just waiting when we're getting covid. I don't think licking cat hair off the floor is giving baby enough immunity boost.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Made some tomato sauce to freeze in ice cube mold for the baby - roasted some tomatoes, carrots, onion and garlic, added bunch of herbs, a bit of tomato paste etc.

Tasted it after blending and only thing I can think of is 'drat, this would be really good if it had some salt in it'. Ah well.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

We're still considering daycares, and I'm really wanting to send my 14mos son to a part-time Spanish immersion school in a few months. But beyond scheduling issues, his current caregiver/grandmother is worried how he'll adapt to both preschool and full Spanish language schooling at the same time. Because she takes him to Spanish storytime and reads to him a little in Spanish (she's fully bilingual), but we're not consistently speaking Spanish to him and it's mostly just her. My wife and I both know conversational basic Spanish, but just don't speak it in front of him right now.

Also, he keeps crying every time I read to him in Spanish, but I think only when I do it? So maybe my Spanish is just that bad. So that might be an obstacle.

We're (hopefully) putting our kid to a full-time Swedish speaking kindergarten when he's 14 months. My partner is bilingual, but we're mostly just speaking Finnish at home. It's a bit nervewracking idea, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be ok. My partner was put into Swedish speaking kindergarten at the age of three without knowing a lick of Swedish and adapted very well.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

bolind posted:

Upthread there was talk about a white noise/color coded night light and I think I've concluded it was the Hatch. Sadly that is only available in the continental US - anything similar available in Europe?

Tommee Tippee seems to have one: link. No idea if it's complete trash or not, but at least it's sold on Babymarkt which has multiple webshops in different European countries.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Our induction ward had a mattress on the floor, pretty similar to gym mats. Too bad we were both too excited to sleep before all the action like everyone told us to do. Afterwards the patient hotel had a nice king sized bed but the again there was a baby to attend to so the sleeps were few and far between.

Our little guy went from rolling around to crawling > hands and knees > pulling himself standing in what seems like a week, it's crazy. I had something more to say about that but I got distracted by the fact that English doesn't have different words for (army) crawl and (hands-and-knees) crawl except a prefix. Wild. Those are completely different moving methods!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My 10-month-old realized that he can express his dissatisfaction with a blood curling scream and - controversial opinion - I don't love it. Feels like living with a volatile death metal goat.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yep, bananas are constipating and apples, pears, kiwi and plums/prunes loosening. We try to keep apples, pears or plums in daily diet (pureed in a smoothie/porridge or full slices) alongside fiber rich porridge in the evenings.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

morothar posted:

This. We climbed a 14er in CO with our daughter on my back when she was 18 months old or so. Never mind all the other hikes all across CO, UT and AZ - 1-2 every weekend at minimum.
Two years later, we still hike every weekend; my wife carrying the 21 month old and me the soon-to-be 4 year old once she gets tired.

Our daughter conks out reliably in the backpack to this day - next to the bed, it’s the 2nd most frequented sleeping spot for her. Now that she’s more self-reflective, she actually looks forward to her nap in the backpack - and you better believe there’s no chance she’d nap on a weekend otherwise.

We have an Osprey Poco and Deuter Kid comfort active. The Osprey is better suited to mountain climbing and distributes the weight better. The Deuter offers easier ingress and egress and packs down better, but feels more light duty. They are both solid choices, but I personally prefer the Osprey.

Having kids in no way or shape limits the amount of hiking (and camping) you can do.

Yeah, my baby loves hanging out in our Deuter backpack, and inevitably conks out:

I'm really looking forward to hiking with him next summer. Only concern is how's he gonna sleep in a tent when it's light out 24/7 but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hmm, apparently my baby loves tempeh with lime, chili and mint. Gonna remember that when he enters his 'only rice and dry toast' era.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Sweet Gulch posted:

Does anyone have some good book/series suggestions for a 9-year-old voracious reader? He's just about done Redwall. All of it. When we were on vacation for a week he read 3.5 of the Silverwing books and matched me in total pages read. Only real stipulation is that he cannot stand zombies.

Seconding the YA Discworld books, so The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

What's a best way to keep a drawer of this type from slamming shut?

Baby learned how to open one in the kitchen by himself. We're fine with it because it's just plastic kitchenware and slamming them to the ground entertains him greatly. It's just a really light drawer and closes easily if he stands up against it, so I don't want him to accidentally get his fingers in between. Some sort of door slower? It's a rental so I'd rather not screw anything in.

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 19, 2024

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

You could temporarily install front door sealing tape. It's puffy and while they could/will still slam their fingers in there it'll act like a shock absorber for the six months you want/need it and then can remove it. Door sealing tape is like $20 for 1.5 doors worth; I like the silicone stuff it's peel and stick I bet you could do 50 drawers with it

King Hong Kong posted:

I don’t know if it would work specifically with that type of cabinet since it would be at the side rather than the top but a standard childproof latch lock with a catch (e.g. the Benny Bradley ones) also prevents you from slamming something shut (since you have to depress the latch to fully close it). You can mount those without screwing or drilling.

Thanks for these, I'll have research em a bit but now I've got something to start with.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Recommendations around the world are interesting.

In my Northern European corner of the world co-sleeping is very typical and even recommended. We are also instructed to wash babies' butts after every poo with water only (no wipes), and the put them outside to sleep in a pram basically whatever the weather.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

That's probbaly it. You get so lazer-focused on finding The One Crazy Trick to make your baby sleep/eat/grow/not cry/not die that having multiple okay choices is unfathomable.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

The bedsharing kind is what I meant.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Simultaneous norovirus and cold. I have never related to Captain Haddock more:

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

As someone who's whole house was wrecked with norovirus and a flu at the same time, we mostly took 1-2 hour shifts where the adult feeling worst would take a nap/vomit profusely while the other tried to entertain baby. That included mainly laying on our living room floor with the tv on and handing him various remotes to gnaw at. Food was ready pouches for the baby and mainly juice for the adults. Didn't do anything that wasn't strictly necessary. I took two days of work (dad's on parental leave). It was awful but not much else you can do but try to survive.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My turning one in four days baby has learned his first word: kakka (poo)!

First as in, it reliably means some specific thing. He knows gong-gong (our cat, Gordon and also anything that moves or is very interesting), äiti (mom, but also dad), auto (car and also everything outside, including birds and the sky) and 'tsiu (achoo) but as you can see those are more vague. Kakka means just poo, and he's learned to say that when he needs to go the potty. He also decided to poo only in the potty, not in the diaper unless emergency. It's pretty cool! We decided to try potty after our childcare nurse suggested trying it out and it has exceeded our low expectations.

...He also realized this week that if he says kakka he'll get out of boring situations (eating, putting on clothes) and gets to chill at the potty without pants looking at his potty time pictures.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Someone could have warned me about the last story in "The House at Pooh Corner". Christopher Robin saying wistful goodbyes to Pooh and leaving Hundred Acre Wood now that he has grown older is not the thing to read as a bedtime story when your toddler is starting daycare the next day.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Our kid just got a (requested) transfer to a Swedish speaking daycare and I'm slightly making GBS threads my pants over that, being at best middling in Swedish myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Calexio posted:

It is the most adorable little sound. It has just occurred to me that babies'll have - I assume - a more limited range of noises available to them, what with the lack of teeth and all.

Anyone have any advice on how to ease a clingy baby? Our little one is attached like velcro to mom at the moment after his hospital stay. If I take him, there's like a good 85% chance he will almost immediately start wailing. Which isn't exactly fun for me and really limits our ability to give Mrs C as much of a break as she used to get.

Maybe try wearing a shirt that smells like mom when holding him?