Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
Our previously great sleeper has very recently turned bedtime into 3 hours of torture. She's 18 months old, and I haven't been this sleep deprived since she was 2 weeks old. We obviously made a mistake in thinking she was just having a couple of rough nights and would return to normal without interference, because once again here come the hours of screaming. Got a plan in place now, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
Our main source of Santa is Twas the Night Before Christmas, so I'm hoping the kids will just understand him as a character in a book, like Peter Rabbit or the Wild Things. Or maybe they'll think all those things are real!!!

I'm posting in the hopes that typing everything out will help calm my nerves after having the morning from hell, being 30 minutes late to work, and (literally) running into our institution's second-in-command, causing him to spill coffee all over himself. I have a meeting with him in an hour, and I'm laying my face on my cold desk like a drunk person trying not to puke.

All nerves, no outlet.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

DaveSauce posted:

Welp, it's croup. So says the ER docs, anyhow. Classic croup, they say... missing the cold-like symptoms or fever, but they said going to bed fine and then waking up in the middle of the night with that cough is pretty typical.

Apparently bringing him to the ER wasn't a wrong decision... some kids need immediate intervention for croup-related breathing difficulty. All the little dude needed was an oral steroid.

They didn't bother testing for covid since he has no other symptoms whatsoever. Still debating if we should get him tested anyhow... we'll probably call the pediatrician today and see, all the the normal sites we would use don't have appointments until Tuesday.

Also the nearest ER is small and there was nobody waiting, so thankfully it wasn't a long wait surrounded by sick people. Next best option is a pediatric ER at the big hospital about 30 minutes away, and the wait time was listed as 40 minutes, so that would have been a rough night.

Don't think his sister ever had croup, so this was a new one for us. Pretty freaky to hear that, especially when it doesn't sound like a cough at first.

The same thing happened with us just last week. Baby woke up, and it seemed like he was struggling to breathe and was so worked up. We called the nurse, she heard baby's cough on speakerphone and told us to head to the ER. I was there with a grumpy baby from 2-6 AM, took them 5 minutes to tell me it was croup and administer and prescribe a steroid (and then I had to wait 1 hr in the pharmacy the next day to fill a prescription for ONE PILL). Trying to tell myself it's best that I went in bc it could've been something serious, but I still feel like an idiot for blowing through money at the ER for croup. Love that I have to do that calculus every time a kid is sick in our very not broken country.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
My 1.5-yo started peeing on the potty on his own (!!!!). I was so stoked, let's start now, why not?, maybe we can be done with diapers by his 2nd birthday! He was doing it pretty consistently, so I put him in some spiderman undies. 15 minutes later he took a big, wet poo poo all over spiderman.

I flew too close to the sun.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

What was the name of the thread recommended crib pad? The one that is absorbent and you just swap out from on top of the sheets if the kid wets the bed?

https://www.peapodmats.com/

was this it?

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
Why are my kids such little turds whenever getting back from a sleepover at their grandparents' house?1-hr meltdown about a bottle of fruit punch gatorade (that wasn't even hers!!!) being empty.

I know I'm lucky to have parents that want to help out, and I'm not ungrateful, but why does it keep happening!

cuber
Dec 29, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm just noticing how kind my boy is (Daniel), neighbor boy came over last night to play a little, he's younger like 6-7 maybe. Anyway when they where kicking some balls and throwing some frisbee Daniel was always going "oh that's good, you're good. " Or if it went poory "Don't worry you're getting better, you'll be real good soon" and so on, basically just constantly positive to everyone and everything. In school he's real good with some disabled kids and including them in play and helping them. I am just gobsmacked.

Hearing stories of kids' kindness always gets me misty eyed. Huge props to your parenting! (or whatever it was that made such a good kid, haha)

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
after his bath last night, my just-turned-2 son took off his towel to walk up the stairs, and every couple of steps would stop, stick out his butt and wiggle around, singing, "naked, naked!"

wish my husband was there to see it, because he'll probably never do it again lol

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
apparently my accident-prone 5-yo cracked a tooth. we found out when she was having tooth pain, took her to the dentist who told us she had an abscess and needed an emergency tooth removal. she hates the dentist so much now. looking forward to her being a terrible patient at future appointments.

poor kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
Little guy (2.5yo) was mopey tonight, kept complaining, got mad about any of the food I tried to make for him, would go to his room and cry, come out 15 minutes later to tell me, "I'm sad!" We'd try to get what's wrong out of him, but figured he was just tired from not having a nap.

I finally got him to sit with me, cuddle, settle down, and he put his thoughts in order to tell me why he was really sad, "I don't have friends."

Talked to his older sister who explained that some older kid at daycare wouldn't let him play with them. I talked with the daycare lady about it, and we're gonna work through it, but drat. What a terrible feeling. He's not even in grade school, I'm gonna lose my mind.