Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

photomikey posted:

This phase is called "two", and it usually ends around four.

It has varying degrees of infection, varying based on the phases of the moon, the time of day, and the possibility that a visitor is holding an ice cream cone.

I think my 3 year old has a bad case of this. Is it infectious? Should I keep him away from his younger brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

We go to Disneyland often (I spent a fortune on these passes and I am going to use the gently caress out of them) and one of my kids is still an infant, 10-months old now. I was pretty pissed to hear we were exposed to measles but that hasn't stopped me from doing anything, really. It's the risk I take with a baby whenever I leave my house, or whenever I let anyone into my home, and it sucks that the blanket safety I have been relying on to keep him safe now has some holes.

Why do people always have to gently caress up a good thing?! History really does repeat itself, doesn't it?

We've never had an effective medical solution for communicable childhood diseases until recently, so watching people turn their backs on it for ill-defined *reasons* is a little novel. I guess you could compare it to the religious-conspiracy fundies that prevented the eradication of polio back in the 70s, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Granted, I only have two datapoints to correlate from, but I have reached the conclusion that different babies be different. Except when they're the same. Subject #1 reacted poorly to CIO, no cry, Grandma sullat's homemade cough syrup, and all the other solutions we tried. Subject #2 we didn't try anything, he just goes to sleep, and sleeps all night. Unless he's sick. So feel free to try different methods and go with what works.

I do agree that this seems like a pretty standard thing at about that age. I think we had something similar? I'd have to check my post history to be sure, though, since I can barely remember those days.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

My god. My 1.5 yr old is 31.8 lbs. I would kill for a tiny baby.

Our three year old is 33 lbs. Our 1.5 year old is probably about 30 lbs. Soon the youngest will be the biggest, I think.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We had to get an EEG for our 3 yr old, he was not happy. They said to keep him up most of the night so he'd sleep during the procedure, but alas, it just made him cranky. Really cranky. Had to strap those suckers on his little noggin like a mummy and then keep his hands busy so he wouldn't peel them off. Not fun.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

This is why baby sign language is worth a few minutes. It isn't an amazing panacea that will get your kids full ride to the Ivys, but it will bridge that gap when they have wants, but can't express them. Just teaching and using five or six signs. "up" "down" "more" "all done" and "Wet" pretty much address all the concerns a preverbal child has, and saves three freakouts an hour. Nothing worse, for a 13 month old than to get more when they want done, or down when they want more, or whatever other crime against humanity you were about to commit. Just add the signs in with the rest of your happy chat, and it'll save you a good portion of 4-6 months of shouting right in your ear.

"Milk" and "eat" were pretty much all he said until 16 mos or so. Now he's added "uppy" to his lexicon of signs. Granted, "uppy" is pretty universal, standing with raised arms, while leaning agq8nst a leg.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah, my kid's into "uppy" too.

Although I guess he has more words at daycare. They said he runs around to all the teachers, saying "I love you" which he never does at home. Sharper than a serpent's tooth indeed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, we got the toddler bed at 2, and had to move him immediately, since baby #2 need the crib. If you have trouble with roaming at night, a gate will work, or you can try "marking" the entrance of your bedroom like an alpha male. For us, it just took a few weeks of insisting he go back to bed if it was too early, and he stays in bed, most of the time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
IIRC the guy with the priest avatar is from some European country where things are more relaxed. Maybe their electricty is easier on kids or somethin, and the younger kids are expected to wait on the older kids? I dunno, different culture.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Put candy in their mouth. My 3 year old would do almost anything for a lollipop. He LOVES getting a haircut because he gets a lollipop. he talks to the hairdresser for 10 minutes about lollipops while they cut his hair.

Might try that, we had to cut our 3 year old's hair while he was asleep.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Wait until they tell you some poo poo that freaks you out. My kid told me last week that one of the teachers said "i hate it" or "i hate you" I felt 99% sure he was telling me a tall tale, but I went and talked to the director because, well you do that to make sure your kids teacher doesn't have it out for him. He was just bullshitting. I'm fairly certain having your job beholden to the whims of a 3 year old is its own special brand of fun.

When my kid was having is biting problems, he insisted several times that [Teacher Name] was biting people. Somehow I doubt that... but maybe he was framed?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

So, parent goons: advice?

I take my almost 2 year old to a mom and tot music class. We had a new parent in the class today whose kid kept taking toys and instruments away from other kids. She did this to my kid twice. She is also significantly older and larger than my kid. The second time it happened I put my hand on the toy and politely but firmly said "no. A. Is playing with that, maybe you can use one of these instead" while my husband offered her any of the many other available toys. The mother proceeded to make passive aggressive comments about us, made a big show of being aggrieved, stormed out of the class and then misrepresented what happened to the instructor. We sorted it all out, stressing that we only intervened when the other child seemed to be making a point of snatching toys out of our daughter's hands, and kids will be kids but.the.mother was out of line. Teacher seems on our side but it was such an odd and stupid confrontation. Have any of you encountered parents like this? How do you handle it? The fact we had to say anything at all is kind of wtf because I don't let my kid take toys from other kids. Sure she's tried. She's a toddler. But that's when the parents are supposed to step.in and say no. Right?

Typing on tablet please forgive errors.

Unfortunately, my kids seem to fall on the "takers" side of things, rather than the "takees" side of things, I try and stop it and make them return the toy, which seems to defuse any tensions. Best solution is to prosecute the child for theft, and the parent for being an accessory after the fact. Or maybe an accomplice? It's been a while since law school. But that should prevent any repeat behavior.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ugh something scary happened last night, David fell and hit his head on the floor when playing with his brother and he just seized up and didn't scream or breathe for 10 seconds before crying, held his hands straight out in front of himself too. I thought it was the fencing position or something like what happens with a concussion but thats only one arm. And when I checked his pupils they both reacted to light and focused in unison and his eyes tracked properly and he acted fine afterwards so it wasn't a concussion atleast.

From what I've found out it was a BHS or Breath Holding Spell, apparently babies can get these when they get scared, injured or upset, some can apparently even do it on purpose. Harmless but very scary for the parent they say. Anyone ever had a similar experience?

Pretty sure something like that has happened to my youngest kid a few times. Always just assumed he was trying to process what just happened before crying it out. Interesting there's a name for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JustAurora posted:

Yes. Exactly what papercut said. If a school teacher recommends that your child be evaluated for ADHD, then it is the school's responsibility to test them for it, not yours. You call the school counselor and speak to them about it, and then they can get the ball rolling. The only reason she mentioned it to you is that you're the one who has to consent to the testing. Your school district have a few (or at least one) school psychologists whose sole job is to test children for various learning disabilities and interpret the results. Just because a teacher says he might have ADHD does not mean he does. Just because you plug your ears going "nah nah nah" however, doesn't mean he does not have it.

Probably depends on the city/county/state and how well their social services are funded. Like my oldest was having trouble in daycare, so the county did an evaluation of him, found that he was having trouble, and now he's got a physical therapist (provided by the county) who visits his daycare a few times a month to help him with his motor skills and stuff. All paid for by your (and my) tax dollars. But in a rural area, or less well funded area, you might be looking at significant out of pocket expenses for that sort of thing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

There's a difference between "blaming the teacher" and taking an objective and critical view when it comes to your child. I read your posts (each with more backstory trickling out) and I really don't see someone making excuses for his kid. I see someone recognising that things here don't quite add up. Of course we don't want to have blinders on when it comes to our kids, but I really don't get that impression from what you've written.

OT trying to give my almost 2 year old a nap. I asked her to get into bed and she yelled NO! And threw a plushie. Early warning sign of oppositional defiance disorder y/y?

Send her off to military christian reform daycare. That will put her on the straight and narrow path.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our kid is at 20 months and still just does "mama", "dadda", "uppy" and "Elsa." He's on a real Frozen kick lately.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

When you have more than one kid, it’s hard not to play favorites and steal their body parts to stitch together the ultimate child. Don’t! Accept your children for who they are instead of trying to mold them into an ideal flesh-golem.

The first kid is the practice kid, second one is where you get it right. Third and fourth I guess is when you try different strategies, like only feeding them raw meat or not speaking to them so you can find out what language the angels speak or whatever.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VorpalBunny posted:

Our three year old did the same thing. The fun wore off and he just didn't care about wetting himself. I'd say back off and try again in a few months. I didn't have mind pee trained until he was 4, and then poop trained a few months later. I think waiting as long as we did made it really easy to get it all done quickly.

Yeah, our oldest has been difficult to potty train. I think part of the problem is he has trouble with his clothes, so he found it easier to just wet himself. Or maybe he has trouble distinguishing which sensations mean potty time, since there are a lot of false alarms. It certainly was nerve-wracking taking a partially potty trained kid across town on the bus.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, our youngest (20 months) will sit on the potty but not do anything. Our oldest, on the otherhand, only wants to stand up to use it. Which is fine for somethings, but really gross for poop.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
First kis we obsessively followed the books. Second kid, uh, who has time for that? Youngest has been eating dirt lately. Kinda weird. Anyone seen a kid do that? Reckon it's a phase, hopefully?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

We just got into Daniel Tiger and as much as I love it, I really don't love singing his little 'lesson' earworms to myself in the elevator and getting caught doing so.

When you feel so mad that you wanna roar, take a deep breath, and count to four

I find it helpful dealing with irate customers. Calms them down or throws them off. Either way.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Groke posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring a car seat on a plane. Toddler-stage kids sit in their own seats with some interludes on their parents' laps, etc. Better be prepared to spend some time entertaining her.

I have. It's the FAA recommendation, I believe. It is also a giant pain in the rear end. We just checked the drat things and let him squirm in his own seat.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, to some extent they are testing out their little vocal chords. Which is subtly different then when they scream because they're dinosaurs or monsters.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, young kids are pretty cool about these sort of things. I worry about when they are older, though. Ahen conformity becomes the highest virtue.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We used a regional site to hire a nanny/babysitter, i think it was 12.50 an hour, with 2.50 going to the service. Mostly to find someone to watch the kids when they were too spotty to go to daycare. Seemed alright. Certainly too expensive to use for a date night, since so few movies are worth paying 50 bucks to go see.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

rgocs posted:

I have time alone with our son (3y8m old) every Wednesday afternoon while my wife goes to prenatal-yoga and we have a great time, we go eat out, play, go to the park, night routine and bed. Sure, sometimes I have to repeat one too many times that he has to eat, but overall is a good time. Anytime we are alone he's great, he's cuddly, kind and affectionate with me; but if my wife is around, that's it for me, it's back to "I don't want dad to look at me", "I don't want to see dad". This morning I said "Hi" to him while making breakfast, he literally walked up to me with an angry face, tapped me on the leg and walked away. Fortunately it's not like that all the time, this morning once we were having breakfast he was nice again, but the regular comments about not wanting to see/talk to me don't feel nice.

There is some sort of a pattern though, those comments/outbursts mostly arrive when he's tired, hungry, angry or hurt. Sometimes my wife will get home with him and give me a sign so I know I should avoid addressing him because he's moody. I don't really like playing the avoidance game, but it sometimes makes things easier. Having it happen while getting hurt is bad though, he'll hurt himself I'll run to help him and he'll wrestle out and run to mom crying he wants mom and not me :sigh:

On the other hand, every so often he will tell his mom she has to do the dishes because he wants to play with me, so I know it's not all lost.

Yeah, that sounds like my kid. It may be that he doesn't want me to enforce bed time, meal time, bath time, nap time, potty time, and medicine time, but it's got to be done.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

reformed bad troll posted:

My 2 and a half year old boy is currently hooked to My Little Pony because I accidentally put in the wrong channel when looking to put on Peppa Pig and he seen colourful horses and went apeshit crazy.

How do I stop him becoming weird when he's older?

Haha, my son picked up on that too. It will probably be fine. Kids are susceptible to ads, so those 10 minute toy adds are very popular. Just don't let him know about the merchandising. More for your wallet's sake. Our youngest's first words other than "cat" and "milk" was "spider-man shoes".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Strict Liability posted:

Or, for pure entertainment value, as a gift giver it's always sickly fun to show up at the birthday party and give the loudest most annoying present possible.... One of my favorites to give is the drat "Bop It" toy... guaranteed to bring hours of parental annoyance.

We did that to my wife's sisters before we had kids. I think they are waiting, biding their time for revenge. Or they've completely forgotten, parenthood may have made them forget their need for vengeance.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Papercut posted:

Ringo Starr was the original narrator of Thomas, find those versions if you can.

Didn't George Carlin do some too?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our daycare seemed pretty good at first, but then they started getting weird about things. They just said that our oldest kid had to leave effective Sept. 1st. They said it was because it wasn't a "good fit" for him, but I suspect that they just don't want to deal with his epilepsy. Got to find a place now that can handle that sort of thing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ugh, I was drinking a beer in the backyard with my neighbor, and I set it down to flip some burgers and my 2 year old swiped it and took a sip. For the rest of the night be was following me around, saying "beer" "beer" instead of "milk", "milk". I guess it was his birthday, so it was OK. Sort of.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'll be doing the SAHD thing for a few months while we get a new daycare. Last time I did this, the oldest was 1, now he's almost 4. And the youngest is 2. So this time will be very different.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ha, yeah, the oldest is already trying to get the youngest to pull the cat's tail and eat stuff from the ground. Good times. I've got a zoo membership and it comes with free visits to the Children's museum all September, so I might just camp out there for a bit. Otherwise, I dunno. When to kids start learning to read? Might have to try that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Weird. Our youngest was pretty fat, like 90% weight and height, but nobody ever commented on it. Possibly because we are recluses and nobody but daycare, relatives, and the basement rats really saw him for the first 18 months, but still, nobody really commented on that. The rats are very inclusive and non-judgmental, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is probably really obvious but does your kid let you know when he needs to go to the toilet or does he just go? Maybe if you have the potty somewhere accessible start putting it somewhere where he has to say that he needs to use it then he'll get into the habit.

Yeah, our kid doesn't really say, he just starts pulling off his clothes and then runs to the little potty to go. Unless its bedtime or when we're in the car, because he knows we'll stop for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, we've got four sets of grandparents for our kids, and two of them are pretty great. Her dad upsets me because he always talks about wanting to see the baby (and his daughter) but refuses to actually do anything to make it happen, putting a lot of pressure on us to make sure he gets to see his grandson. I mean, we visit the other grandparents too, but they also come and visit us sometimes, and volunteer to babysit, and help clean up a bit one in a while.

I guess we can't complain too much.

Also, I decided last night that something my child needs is a proper narrative metaphor that clarifies our values as a family in ways that demonstrate you don't always have to be perfect, but you should still keep trying, through lots of different but inter-related stories. I honestly am not a big fan of most of the stories I've seen for once he starts getting older beyond the ones that encourage basic practical children's skills, and of course if I don't like what I see the proper course of action is to do it myself.

I'm currently about 4k words into it my own custom mythology. When I'm done, I should have about 20 stories that range from happy to sad to heroic to inspiring. I figure it will be a fun to try and write and remember all of them so I can tell them on demand (if he ever demands them, which he might not). But beyond that, I think it's important for a kid to see themselves as part of an ongoing living story, and maybe have a little ritual in their life. We're very much an areligious family, and I guess this is my attempt to at least put up something that isn't consumerist garbage designed solely to sell toys, which are the stories most kids seem to end up internalizing nowadays.

This is probably the stupidest and geekiest thing, and if he doesn't end up liking them I'll live. But my wife seemed to enjoy the first one that I read her last night, and she hates lots of things I read her and is usually pretty honest about it, so there's hope! (Yes, I read my wife bedtime stories, don't hate)

That actually seems pretty cool. My grandma used to tell me stories from Greek mythology (totally not kid safe, but w/e, it didn't impact me, I think) and I remember them fondly, if inaccurately. Now, off to poke out the eyes of the barbarians that offended me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ambellina posted:

Help me help me help me.

Elise is 7 months old and is sleeping in her crib in her own room. About 4 nights a week she wakes up anywhere from 12:45am to 4:30am screaming bloody murder. We put her pacifier back in and rub her back until she falls back asleep. This works less than half of the time. Most nights, we resort to brining her into bed with us just so we can get some sleep.

Last night, for example; she went to bed at 8:15 and woke up at 1:45. She cried in her crib for about 45 minutes, my has and and I both tried the pacifier trick. At 2:30, I brought her into our room and she was awake until 4ish this morning. The sleep deprivation is starting to wear me down, even more than when she was a newborn. At least we could predict her sleep pattern!

Any suggestions on getting her to sleep through the night, or at the very least get her to be able to go back to sleep on her own?

Yeah, their sleep patterns get all weird while they are figuring out the whole day-night thing. Waiting it out is the only real solution, although if you can, maybe take shifts with your spouse? So that at least one of you gets some rest.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Charmmi posted:

That box looks awesome. I looked at http://babyboxco.com/ real hard and seriously evaluated whether or not I love my baby enough to buy her a $70 cardboard box.

We used laundry baskets back when the babies were tiny.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our 2 year old goes to bed at 8 PM and falls asleep on his own after a story or two. He generally has been waking up at 6 AM. Our 4 year old... I put him in bed by 9 PM at the latest but he fights sleep for as long as possible. He has been sleeping in until 7 or 730. Which has been made possible by a change in my work schedule, since I used to have to drag him out of bed by 630.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Our oldest is nearly 4, and he has always hated sleeping and bedtime. I put him to bed by 9 pm every night, but he fights and screams and carries on until about 10 pm before passing out. I don't like the fight, but if we let him stay up he would and I don't think it's healthy for him. Our youngest goes to sleep quietly and without much hassle at about 8:30.