Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hey Parenting goons,

I am just writing this to introduce myself, as a non-parent lurker who may sometimes have resources to share. I have my MA and PhD in clinical psych and did a certificate in Child Parent Psychotherapy (https://www.facebook.com/ChildParentPsychotherapy/) which is

quote:

a research supported, evidence-based intervention model for children aged 0-6 who have experienced traumatic events and/or are experiencing mental health, attachment, or behavioral problems. Therapy sessions include both the child and their parent or primary caregiver. A central goal is to support and strengthen the caregiver-child relationship as a vehicle for restoring and protecting the child’s mental health.

In any case, I just wanted to say hi, and that I think you're all great.

I've worked as a live-in nanny, and... I'm beginning to take foster parent classes in October, which I'm psyched about! I am sure that experience will generate a whole new set of emotions and thoughts.

I will now return to my mostly lurking behavior. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Groke posted:

Hell, that location would be worth at least a couple of dead badgers.

Do badgers get in walls? I tried googling this in English but the Badgers are a sports team, and I can't remember how to say badger in Hebrew. Spanish found me this art: https://www.etsy.com/listing/177803669/badger-art-print-badger-wall-art-badger

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have just joined your ranks. Our daughter Ayelet was born at 4am from an emergency c-section and this is our first night at home. I'm expecting some late night posting in my future/present. Very out of it but glad we are okay.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a reason the baby can't sleep in the car seat all night? Is it bad for her back or something? She screamed so much last night but now she's sleeping comfortably in her car seat.

And thank you Renegret (and everyone) for the welcome :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The more inclined they are, the more likely they are to potentially asphyxiate themselves if their head falls forward. We only let ours sleep in bouncers/car seats/etc if someone is watching them.

Ah gotcha. Well I'm right here so it's good for now.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Breastfeeding is hard.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My little sister was telling me that with the passage of the ACA, lactation consultants are available for one year with no cost to patients in the US with Amy insurance. My sister and her wife used LC services to get the non-gestational mother to lactate but said the LC was a great resource on a number of newborn parenting things. I didn't know that was an available resource so I figured other goons might also not know. They recommended nest cooperative but there are probably many options to choose from.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks, that helps me feel a lot better. Parent brains are just so good at making up problems to worry about.

Ugh my 8 week old has torticollis and is starting to get a flat spot on her head. We are doing the exercises from the doc but I'm so worried. Also I started back at work this week and I'm so sad and miss her so much.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I got the day care cold for the first time. My 13 week old coughing and sneezing in my face probably contributed.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My sister and I had babies on different sides of the country, and the cousins meet tomorrow!! My baby will be 4 months on the 7th and her cousin is 2.5 weeks younger but apparently bigger than her. My sister's family is coming to stay with us on their first big trip and we're going to see how this goes!

Additional complications (let's do this on hard mode!) - 1. we live with my father in law who is a 97 year old Orthodox Rabbi, and my sister is married to a woman. My father in law has suggested the children of lesbian couples were illegitimate in the past.
2. My sister's wife is quite particular about things and touchy about vocabulary, like she chewed out my mom for saying father rather than sperm donor.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

space uncle posted:

This sounds like it’s working up to a word problem and I was ready to solve it.

Haha I never sleep anymore. I'm glad you were up for it!

And I'm not sure how well a 13 week old and a 15 week old can really get along or even acknowledge one another, but I guess we are about to find out.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 3, 2023

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My mom is an OT who works with kids with disabilities. She has a set of recommendations for hair brushing issues. I'll ask her for the handout when I get home (we went to San Diego with the baby for the long weekend).

I do remember one of the recommendations to desensitize the kid to getting their hair touched was to start out with brushing with the back of the brush. I think also brushing other parts of the body was important - again to desensitize.

I found this website https://www.theottoolbox.com/how-to-support-sensory-issues-with-hair-brushing/

And this handout Occupational Therapy Strategies Hair brushing - Locala https://www.locala.org.uk/fileadmin/Services/Sensory_OT/OT_Sensory_-_Hair_brushing_.pdf

Edit: I'm assuming OT tips on hair brushing apply to kids whether or not they have disabilities. I didn't mean to imply anything.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 19, 2023

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My kid is 6 months old today! We are on our first airplane trip with her, vacationing in Hawaii.

Some observations:
1. Every age is the best one.
2. My baby really likes people and excitement, which makes some parts of traveling better. It does not make 6 hours in an airplane great.
3. Women keep on talking to my husband while we are out with the baby. Less so men talking to me.
4. Really love her baby boat floaty with a canopy from Walmart, which we call her yacht.
5. We reserved screens to make travel easier, which someone in this thread recommended. Thank you. We watched Madagascar and Shrek and Boss Baby on the plane (with no sound) and it made things much easier.
6. Why are time zones? Ugh.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My 9 month old brought COVID back from daycare. Her pediatrician didn't have the COVID shot yet. Her dad (7 days vaccinated) got it, and I (14 days vaccinated) dodged it and took care of both of them. She was sick for about 3 days and now is just snotty but full of energy. My husband got really quite sick and is on paxlovid now. Everyone's on the mend.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Taking a toddler to Hawaii next month. Please send me tips, tricks, and recommendations. My kid is extremely busy and active.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

go to the beach

Lol I meant for the plane and airport. We were in the Lahaina fires with our infant and part of our vacation got rebooked due to the fires, so now we are traveling with a toddler which I'm not sure I would have planned originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We went to a family wedding, then had large Passover ritual dinners, and now all three of us, plus the elder daughter who lives on her own, have fevers and ear infections. Ugh. Interviewing possible sick care nannies this morning.