Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Im gonna be a rad dad in 6 months.

Sup thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

orange sky posted:

Same!

High 5, future dad! I'm so scared, especially because it's a boy and I don't want to raise an rear end in a top hat tate fan

Also a future boy dad. I think the Tate fans come from feeling unlovable and responding with outward aggression. I'm betting that loving my kid as unjudgementally as I can (and some coaching) will let him see those dudes as the lonely, hateful pricks they are.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I always worry about the Andrew Tate thing too, because I'm sure a lot of parents just kind of lose connection with their preteens and teenagers and the internet/peers can be very influential. My kid is a young toddler though, so it'll probably be a different popular misogynist by then. We're two moms, so there's already a lot of worry about his potential male role models. Mostly right now he is really into vehicles/trucks and just spends time with his grandfather, who is a standard masculine boomer dad but not really problematic in a way I'd worry about.

On public schools - it's a minimum of five years away, but my wife and I have been in a disagreement on whether or not we should send our son to a local charter school. We're both public school kids, but we're a same-sex couple and Texas in the past couple of years has become very hostile to LGBTQ people (particularly in schools) and hostile to the public school system in general. All the queer parents in the Facebook groups rave about a specific charter school in town here that is very progressive and has a lot of queer parents, so she is interested in sending him there.

But one, sending my kid to a charter school feels like a shot against the public schools (though we have no idea which school district we'll live in by then). Two, more importantly to me, this charter school has the second highest conscientious vaccine exemption rate in the entire county - 23.4% in 2022 vs. most charter and public schools in town being under 5%. Pre-pandemic, it was closer to 35% though, so maybe the culture there is changing? Again, not a current concern for years, but my wife keeps coming back to it. She thinks the risk of something actually going around is low, but I would worry about younger kids we may have by then who aren't finished with their shots.

Does it matter if your normal immun functioning, vaxxed kid goes to a school with a measles outbreak? Serious question I’m bad at health science. If not, who cares?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Charter schools taking public money have to take all applicants within their district, up to ~110% of capacity. They're not private schools they're just independent of the local school district. At least in California

I went to a charter school for grades 5/6 and the kids in my classes were dumber than the public school my mom faked an address to get in to. The charter school had a lottery draw while the public school had large enough classes to separate high performing students (and also me) into advanced math and what not.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I messed up. I told my newly three year old that if she makes a wish on a shooting star the Abby cadabe stuffy she has might play with her after we shut the door at night, and every morning for the past few days she laments how that did not happen. Lessons learned.

The stochastic nature of star wishes is a cruel truth.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
What is meant when people say me and my wife will be the PTA power couple in ref to being a doctor/engineer? I've heard this a few times over the years and never really thought about it until now that were having a kid and it just popped into my head.

What are the powers? Do I have to do some sort of ritual to attain them?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Muir posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a microscope? My daughter would love one.

What kind of microscope or for what purpose? Biology stuff with slides use a different kind (lit from the bottom) than electronics repair or looking at opaque stuff (lit from the top)

I have two amscope microscopes and they’re a good value if it’s a hobby. Highly recommend the one with the XY stage if she’s old enough to have a $200+ microscope

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Muir posted:

Basic kid science stuff. Sticking things from the garden on to look at.

Ahh you want a regular compound microscope. This will let you look at ants, pondwater, grass, biological stuff. It won't be good for rocks, metallurgy, and that sort of thing.

If they're a lil older:
$300 - https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-B120C-Magnification-Illumination-Double-Layer/dp/B009VUPIKM?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

nice to haves on the more expensive model:
- a camera
- X-Y Stage so you can precisely explore the thing you're looking at
- binocular lets you put a camera in one eye hole, quickly look over it with the other one

If thats too much:
$80 - https://www.amazon.com/AmScope-40X-1000X-Biological-Compound-Microscope/dp/B00VTUD8GS

My biggest complaint about the top one is that the LED light could be brighter, but its still very useful.

You can get slides on amazon for dirt cheap. Rounded corners for safety. You prob want kimwipes too. Might also want a calibration slide if they like to measure stuff. You can use cheap clear tape to mount things to slides.

Fun fact: We found a spec-of-dirt sized insect in our pantry on new years eve. By sticking a picture of it taken with the microscope in ChatGPT, ChatGPT was able to correctly identify them as book lice which made getting rid of them trivial.

Saved us far more than the cost of the microscope probably.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 26, 2024

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Is it innate knowledge for kids to shove a wash cloth in their butt crack during shower time and pretend it's either poop or an egg? Both my kids do it, and they don't shower together nor do we teach them how to do it.

its genetic

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rufio posted:

We only had a couple poop accidents when we did this, but lots of pees. Have them help clean up the messes (maybe not the poops) and that will help.

Honestly worse than the accidents was my little dude constantly playing with his pud

hurf durf apple near tree

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oodles posted:

She’s got a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD, but because of the worldwide shortage we can’t get it prescribed.

Fuckin heartbreaking.

That is rough.

A physician won’t prescribe any ADHD meds because of a shortage at pharmacies doesn’t make sense. If that’s the case, find a new psychiatrist.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Renegret posted:

Anybody have any good resources on sleep training our first baby?

We hosed up our first kid real bad regarding sleep training. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes with #2 but I have no fuckin idea what I'm doing here. I really, really would prefer not to cry it out if it can be helped though.

My baby isn’t here for a few months but I really like this book and it’s written by a pediatrician with 7 kids:

https://www.amazon.com/Raising-Good-Parents-Gregory-Gordon/dp/1936634287

It’s Q and A style with 1-4 paragraph answers organized by baby’s age. Easy to read five minutes at a time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

c355n4 posted:

My kid is in kindergarten. How do you handle talking to them about bomb threats to their school? Or do you not? There have been multiple so far.

Is your kid in school in Kandahar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

killer crane posted:

My 8 yo had a screaming stomping throwing meltdown because I praised one of my 5 yos for partially reading some homework. 3 hours later she calms down enough to tell us she wants more praise... and we need to give her siblings less praise...

She's having a lot of trouble being the oldest. I think she's getting pressure at school to have older interests, and not enjoy the things her 5 yo siblings like. She's very worried about watching or enjoying "baby stuff." And she lacks patients with her siblings when they're not at her development level with anything. Gets so mad at them for not understanding the things she does, and she has these meltdowns!

I'm so exhausted from parenting this weekend.

That sounds exhausting.

Also it sounds like the intro to a Brene Brown story about shame messaging in schools for kids.