Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

External Organs posted:

Speaking of daycare plagues, my kid is now RSV positive. She's 14 months, she'll be okay...right?
She'll be OK but do not hesitate to go to the Emergency Department if her breathing worsens (rapid breathing near or in excess of 60 breaths/min) or if you find yourself needing to use albuterol more frequently than once every four hours to control her breathing. Kids with RSV at that age can go downhill fast, and if she ends up hospitalized it means she'll be monitored and have breathing support available if she needs it.

Our son was hospitalized at 11 months with RSV and spent three days in the PICU. I took him to the ED twice, once on Wednesday morning where he was able to get it under control, and took him again Friday morning. He was admitted that afternoon and in the PICU within hours of getting on the floor.

If I didn't listen to my wife about these things I might've hesitated taking him Friday morning given how we were sent home Wednesday and it started off as just more of the same.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nwin posted:

“Call us back if his or your baby’s breath starts to sound like wheezing or the cough lasts longer than 2 weeks.”
Basically that. Also, if you're not familiar with belly breathing maybe look up videos (I assume they exist) so you can identify increased work of breathing. If you're seeing that, or your kid is breathing near/above 60 breaths a minute and/or especially lethargic it's time to go to the ED.

RSV sucks. It's basically COVID for kids.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
RSV is one of those things where if we could develop a safe vaccine for it, that would keep so many children out of hospitals since it's the leading cause of infant hospitalizations. But most kids that contract RSV (which is pretty much everyone) do OK.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sharkbomb posted:

Anyone have experience with biting at daycare? My 1-year old daughter moved into the toddler room about two weeks ago; she has now been bit 3 times. Each time with a very precise mouth-shaped bruise on her arm.
There's always a biter.

My son was bitten maybe three times in the year he was in the toddler room. It's annoying, but it happens.

If the biting was happening multiple times a month I would be concerned though. If the daycare is unwilling or incapable of intervening to something happening with that much frequency you might need to look into another daycare, as awful as that process is. Mediocre daycares are fine until they're not, and this one of those things that may expose a lax attitude towards other safety risks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

citybeatnik posted:

Cailleask when did you switch from the carrier for them?
This seat can be used rear facing up to 50 lbs, which I think is the heaviest I found at the time. I was told our kids would be rear facing until they can drive.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

life is killing me posted:

Not sure. It’s possible? She hasn’t otherwise been acting abnormal though, just acting like she’s going through a leap so generally more cranky but usually not too cranky to eat. This isn’t the first time she’s done this on the bottle but she usually does bottles just fine. She was basically screaming for a bottle but seemed to hate it when given to her.
If she's regularly unwilling to take breast milk from a bottle, smell inside the bottle and see if its smells "metallic". If it does, her mom might be producing high-lipase breast milk and she's picky about it. That's a whole topic unto itself, but this might be a clue to the puzzle.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ehud posted:

We went with the Graco 4Ever carseat. I thought about a travel system but I didn’t foresee many opportunities to use it because of covid.
One thing to keep in mind about the 4Ever is that it doesn't have to be your first car seat. You might prefer a travel system for the first year, but those tend to top out at 30-35 lbs. or whatever. The 4Ever can be used for a few years after that, so it's not a bad thing to have around either way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Screen time is hard but things like Cocomelon are especially insidious as they're designed to keep kids in a trance for hours.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

We could try formula, but we are pretty sure it’s the bottles and not the milk.
Once a baby has a bottle aversion it's really hard to break. But you also need to figure out why she developed the aversion in the first place so she doesn't redevelop it.

Has she ever taken a bottle of espressed milk? Are the bottles you're trying fresh (like, just pumped) or have they been refrigerated/warmed?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
RSV is opening for COVID this year. I think it's pretty safe to assume if your kids picked up RSV during this years' outbreak then Delta is going to get to them too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I'm not a doctor but all the literature says not to give babies under 6 months ibuprofen, I forget why though.
Renal failure.

Tamarillo posted:

Ibuprofen is safe from birth as well. My son was enrolled in a medical study that compared the use of ibuprofen vs paracetamol in the first year - he was in the ibuprofen group.
Without disputing the results of the study, I wouldn't suggest to give ibuprofen to a under 6 mo. infant until it's FDA approved and/or at least until this becomes a thing that pediatricians commonly do. Again, the results of a study are encouraging but unless you're in the position where you're able to measure kidney function at home (you're not) and take appropriate measures during an adverse event, it's not worth the risk.

Six months and older though, ibuprofen is a damned miracle drug.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

remigious posted:

No, I was doing some reading online and it said to only do that as a last resort. But I suppose I’m kind of in that territory now.
Some people are of the mind that you shouldn't medicate (adults or children) for a problem that can be resolved through non-medical interventions, just as a means of overall risk reduction. Like, if you can resolve teething pain with a teething toy, that's great!

But if your kiddo isn't sleeping, and you're not sleeping as a result, it's medicine time!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If you've had a child in daycare prior to 2020 they probably got all types of respiratory illnesses. If you've had one in daycare for the past three months they probably had RSV. You know, the constant, endless colds and runny noses? How did your kid do with those? If "fine", they'll probably also be "fine" if (when) they catch COVID.

That's not to be dismissive of COVID--dear lord please take it seriously and follow basic precautions including vaccination for anyone in your household eligible (if available) and masking when practical--but at the end of the day we can only control what we can control and you may not have many options with regard to your kids and daycare.

If your child doesn't do well with respiratory illnesses and has suffered from bronchilolitis in the past, that's when I'd be particularly worried about COVID. Our son was hospitalized with RSV in 2019 shortly before the COVID pandemic hit, and when RSV hit this past spring he had some borderline episodes again. I'm worried about how COVID might affect him. We may have to pull him from daycare and get creative with childcare if (when) cases get bad in our area again. If nothing else, I want to make sure there's ICU space if he needs it (again).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

What I want to know is: how much does COVID increase the odds of the worst outcomes relative to a normal year?
IMO, reputable sources are really falling down on the job providing this context. There is so much hemming and hawing about edge cases and contributing risks factors that it is really hard to pull clear guidance from any of it.
Honestly though, what can you reasonably expect? This is only our second year with COVID, and the numbers from last year aren't helpful due to the inherent differences between wildtype and variants (delta), and the fact that there were enough NPIs in place last year that for kids who did go to daycare they--very abnormally--simply didn't get sick with anything.

Dobbs_Head posted:

Digging through some papers on JAMA, cdc docs and such it looks like the risks of COVID for young children are similar to the flu and rsv. Where that makes me land in terms of risk tolerance is that if I am willing to put my kids in daycare normally, then COVID doesn’t add a substantial extra risk.
I've said it before but I'll repeat it: if your kids were in daycare for any appreciable time before 2020, they picked up flu and RSV from daycare. If they handled those fine, they'll probably handle the current COVID that's going around fine. If they suffered from bronchiolitis episodes in the past then you should be much more concerned.

Personally my main concern is PICU capacity. I don't want my kids to be hospitalized again, but if they are I worry that there's capacity for them. Right now, outside of Florida, Louisiana, Texas, that's the case. But if things continue to go to poo poo elsewhere/where we are, we may have to reevaluate.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

The bad outcome for co-sleeping is SIDs, which is VERY BAD. But, the increased odds for SIDs due to just co-sleeping versus on back in a crib is very small. The medical community is extremely conservative to the point of giving unhelpful advice around small risks.
Pediatricians have a bias because they see the outcome of SIDS. So, statistically, whether you follow safe-sleep or not your child "will" be fine, but for pediatricians the more they advocate for safe sleep as a community the less incidents they see of SIDS. I don't think that's really conservatism that's concern for their patients and public health.

Dobbs_Head posted:

If your baby won’t sleep by themselves, co-sleeping is a reasonable option.
Co-sleeping is fine until it's suddenly not fine, so risk reduction is the key. If you're going to co-sleep at all (which, honestly sometimes babies have sleepless nights and it's inevitable) the best way to reduce risk is to do it sparingly and avoid dependence. Sure, make sure you're able to get sleep for yourself first, then figure out what you can do for your baby after that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dobbs_Head posted:

An alternative could be, “ok, that can be done more or less safely. Here is how to do it best, and how to assess safety based on risk factors.”
Pediatricians are in a bind giving medical advice that goes against consensus/AAP recommendations, even if they otherwise sympathize with your immediate situation. Say they gave you the "more or less safely" advice and your child--God forbid--dies of SIDS. Is that a malpractice suit waiting to happen?

Now, say a parent goes to the pediatrician and is already co-sleeping with no intention to stop, but looking for some risk reduction advice? I don't know how that works. But to be honest, when it comes to most primary care:

Dobbs_Head posted:

Target audience is an issue in this discussion. The AAP target includes people that might put juice into baby bottles. A more nuanced approach requires greater literacy and critical thinking skills to be useful.
By-the-numbers most people who admit they co-sleep to their child's pediatrician are simply unaware of SIDS risks, or may vaguely be aware of them but don't believe it type stuff. The kind of people who are looking at it from a risk reduction perspective already have the tools to make informed decisions about it.

Dobbs_Head posted:

But I’m an individual, not a population. I expect my pediatrician to consider that when giving advice.
Honestly, some pediatricians are better at this than others.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 27, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Once when I was casually chatting with one of the staffers at our first day care, she asked if we had any weekend plans. I told her "not really, my wife has to work all weekend" and she jokingly responded with "Daddy day care, huh?"

Screw you, I'm a primary caregiver. I'm not "backup" or second choice or whatever she thinks. If anything, I'm the lead on evening/weekend routines since I have a stable work schedule.

Since then I've received a handful of sexist comments in public and learned to shrug them off, although I've been getting less of them as the kids have gotten older, and also there was that period where we didn't leave the house for a year.

Also I shouldn't complain as my wife has received far more sexist comments in pursuit of her career since, I don't know, elementary school? So a handful comments in the few years I've been a parent hardly compares.

Shifty Pony posted:

I've explained to daycare that I'm much easier to contact and can be there in 15 minutes not matter what since I WFH and have a job where I can take off at a moment's notice, unlike Mrs Pony who is probably seeing a patient at any particular moment. My name and number is first on the contact forms. The forms say to call me first. I drop him off, I pick him up, every single day and if something comes up.

Kid needs picking up, incident happened, or something got accidentally left out of the bag they'll still call Mrs Pony first 80% of the time. :sigh:
This happened exactly once at our new day care. They've since learned to call me first if they want anyone to show up.

Wow this is fantastic!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

Our son enjoys pink clothes, we've managed to find a couple but jeez it's hard.
Wash some white shirts with maroon pants. You'll get all the pink you need.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

iv46vi posted:

Speaking of, our 3 year old is starting to enjoy himself pressing buttons etc. on our watches and phones. He spend some time with his older cousins watching them play on their ipads and I’m thinking of getting him his own tablet. Looking for any experiences or advice on using an older iPad or getting a fire/kindle cheapie for toddlers.
There's lots of options here, but if you can afford it I would consider getting a full-size iPad and case/screen protector the hell out of it. Limit its use as you would with any screen time, and supervise his usage of it. Otherwise iPads are great because they actually do last a fairly long time--we only this year replaced our eight year old iPad 4. There's quite a lot of good and free content on the App Store and it's not all MTXed to hell as you might think. There isn't exactly parental controls on an iPad, but you can use Guided Access to lock him into one app at a time, or you can abuse the Screen Time feature allow him to access only certain apps and lock out the rest.

Buying the latest model helps because it will be supported longer than older models and cases are readily available, but otherwise you can save money by purchasing refurbished (which Apple sells) or used.

Cheapo/kiddie tablets are fine if you want something cheap in quantity (multiple kids) to throw at them, but my impression is they don't last all that long and there isn't as much quality content because the ecosystems are much smaller/divided than Apple's.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

So around month 5 we got advice from our doctor* that the guidance had changed, give kids allergens as early as possible, regularly, so they don't have severe reactions later on in life. He also suggested "bombas" peanut snacks and "multi-nut butter" from Trader Joes
Target and most grocery stores carry "PB2" powdered peanut butter. When our kids were starting on purees we'd mix a few teaspoons of this in as an alternative to powdered oatmeal. Like, pureed carrots + PB2 is a good bit thicker and not such a runny mess than carrots alone, plus tastes good and does the whole allergen exposure thing.

Hadlock posted:

The nearest trader joes is a good 45 minute trip from our house now and we ran out of bambas/bombas and I guess I'd forgotten about the multi-nut butter.
Trader Joe's is, fine, but I've never gotten hooked on it. 45 minutes away seems like "good for the occasional treat" but I'd try to find alternatives for staple shopping.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

We were feeling guilty about daycare but It is very clear that being around other kids, most of them older than him, is helping him learn.
Before we had kids I had uh, "family members" that were guilt-tripping us--well, me anyways--for considering sending our kids to day care. Although neither my wife nor I attended day care ourselves, we discussed it and she argued well that it's not "worse" than home care just a different experience and they both have their pros and cons. This was a lesson for me for a few reasons--one is that sometimes close family can have lovely opinions and, as a parent, you have to learn how to address that. But the other is that whether you realistically have a choice about day care or it's just straight-up a necessity, you shouldn't "feel bad" about it. Like all things, you just need to account for your child's situation and adjust things according. If you do home care you may need to actively seek out opportunities for socialization. If you do day care you may need to plan for your children (or yourself) being frequently ill, those kinds of things.

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm jealous of those who don't have to plan meals. Our daycare has us send in food so daycare days are actually harder since we can't just wing it.
Pack leftovers from the night before when possible, and substitute for a favored lunch (PB&J) when not. Although I think some day cares have a ban on peanut-products even in packed lunches--in which case I might consider switching day cares because PB&J is very reliable for us.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do you own a food processor? If so, make your own hummus. It's easy, takes all of ten minutes, and tastes way better fresh than any store packaging of it and doesn't get recalled all the time due to samonella or whatever. Like I'm fine with prepackaged convenience foods and all but the quality-to-effort ratio on homemade hummus is a really a win.

If you don't own a food processor I'd consider getting one. It's my third-most used kitchen appliance behind a toaster and pressure cooker.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 4, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

These are all great ideas. I guess I’m more hung up on making it a traditional “meal” focusing on a protein, as opposed to a boatload of fruit and veggies but I guess it doesn’t have to be like that.
A 9 month old will still be getting the majority of their nutrition from breastmilk/formula, so I wouldn't worry about finger foods representing a well balanced meal. You do want to introduce different kinds of foods but at that stage it's more about exploring tastes/textures and just getting comfortable with the mechanics of it all.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

boquiabierta posted:

edit: oh yeah and pedi also prescribed an epipen that costs $331 with insurance
Is that with prescription coverage, and did you verify that it was actually billed to your insurance by the pharmacy?

I checked the pricing under our coverage and a regular EpiPen two-pack is $50, while the EpiPen Jr is $15. Granted, prices vary between providers, not all providers have reasonable prescription coverage, and:

boquiabierta posted:

hahahaha American healthcare is such a loving scam
But I only mention it because it's ridiculous the number of times I've gone to CVS to pick up some medication that rang up as $$$ and I've had to have them rebill it under our prescription coverage instead of the BS automatic CVS prescription plan they apply. I check each prescription I pick up now and look for our plan number on it to be sure.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

remigious posted:

but one teacher shouldn’t be looking after 8 babies, right?
In Ohio, ODJFS has a maximum staff/child ratio of 1 to 5 (or 2 to 12 in same room) for infants under 12 months, so even the not-great day cares have to abide by this. Still, 1 to 8 sounds like a lot.

remigious posted:

When I signed up I was told there was a max class size of 5, and with 8 I’m worried my dude isn’t getting enough attention.
Honestly one of the biggest problems we've had with child care is being told one thing and observing something else ourselves. If you can't trust the director of the center it's not a good place for your child. Everything else you'll encounter ultimately just validates that.

remigious posted:

He hardly eats anything all day while he is there (just 3 ounces yesterday and today!)
Did you at least get a report of feed attempts and did they look reasonably spaced? Some babies may have an adjustment period, especially if they haven't bottle fed previously. But if there was only one feed attempt that's particularly bad. If there's no report available to you, well, that's not good either.

remigious posted:

He still has a cold too.
That's pretty typical, and could explain the feeding issue. They should have still made multiple attempts though.

remigious posted:

Also I am annoyed that he came home in another kid’s pants and they misplaced 2 bottles and his sweater.
These things do occasionally happen at day care, but not generally all in one day and not all during the first day. With this frequency it sounds very disorganized.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nessa posted:

One of these days I’m going to ask him for a swap day. He can take care of the baby while I sit on the couch and play video games all day.
Ask him to do that every other day.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The OLED Switch is so nice to play in the rocking chair while rocking the baby to sleep at 2am again. Worthy upgrade.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nessa posted:

I’m fine with being the majority caretaker 90% of the time so long as my husband takes care of bills and groceries.
But he could take care of the bills and groceries and also parent more.

I mean, whatever works for you. But when we started having kids it was understood that we're both parents, so we both parent. Video games and forums browsing are basically the only two recreational activities I have left, but if I told my wife to take the kids so I could go play video games the rest of the day, she would leave me on the spot.

I just don't understand why people accept low expectations for fathers and their parenting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sorry, final thought:

Nessa posted:

I can only play it when he's asleep and when my husband doesn’t have anything he wants to play.
If you're doing 90% of the parenting then at the very least, when the the kiddo is alseep you should get to play AC whenever you want.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nessa posted:

I WANT to do all the work. My own self worth is tied into it. (And yes, I have been in therapy.) It would just be nice to have a day off once a year or so.
What does your husband want though? Feelings of guilt aside, does he want to be more involved? Again, with society at large placing low expectations on fathers it's easy for him to just assume that he "shouldn't" be more involved than he is, which could be robbing everyone (you, him, your kiddo) of his greater involvement.

Then again if this arrangement works for the both of you most of the time then, that's what it is. There is a problem though that if you do 90% of the parenting then that's what your child will come to expect and getting those days off will be very difficult. I think you should be able to take whatever time off you need when you feel you need it, but for that to work he has to have a baseline level of involvement for the "day off" to be successful.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Nay because she still needs some "downtime" around that time or her temper will boil over from being tired.
Kids that stop napping that young still need some quiet time, so if you can rebuild your routine around that, hopefully that helps.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The most important thing to track is feeds and pee/poop output during the first week of life to make sure the baby is getting adequate nutrition. Babies lose some of their birth weight during this time until feeding has kicked in to offset the difference.

If you're formula feeding off the bat the tracking is easy, but if you're breastfeeding it's difficult to figure out how much volume the baby is taking, which is where tracking output becomes more important.

Once the baby starts gaining weight I don't think the tracking matters so much. Babies sleep when they're tired, and generally they feed when hungry. Over time you'll get an intuition for the routine. Maybe tracking the number of diapers a day is important for purchasing logistics, but all it takes is a bad case of diarrhea to through that out of the window anyways.

As for tracking I just wrote feed times and diaper changes on a piece of paper. It was good enough. We tracked feeds longer for our second since she didn't feed well in infancy, but otherwise a couple of weeks?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

I feel like it's really hard to get consistency when we then have to put him in nappies to go to daycare.
Do they refuse to start until a certain age?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nachos posted:

And we have to do this antibiotics course for 10 loving days??
What is she (presumed) sick with? Who did she see? What antibiotic?

On paper you're always supposed to finish an antibiotic course. In practice it sucks administering an antibiotic to child who refuses to take it unless it's buried in two containers of apple sauce and causes endless diarrhea. Especially if it's treating what's likely a viral infection and was prescribed by the PA at your urgent care who literally prescribes antibiotics for literally everything because that's the scope of their training.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nachos posted:

Ear infection, urgent care, amoxicillin
Try to do it for at least five days. Meanwhile schedule a follow-up with your pediatrician this week for an ear check and if it's clear ask them for guidance.

As far a taking the medicine if she's old enough to have used a straw try telling her "it's like a straw" and suck on the end of the syringe while you push the plunger. After not having to administer medicine for the entirely of 2020 even giving Motrin ended up being a battle for us. That approach finally broke through to compliance.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I don't want to play internet thread lawyer here but the article itself (which was reviewed by a MD, good) says at the end "However, each child’s situation is unique, and your family’s medical provider is the best person to decide how long your child should take an antibiotic for an ear infection."
That's (i) true, and (ii) not the PA at urgent care, which is why they should tell you to follow up with your pediatrician. Like that is a thing you should actually do, not just liability stuff.

Specifically with regard to ear infections it's possible to break through on amoxicillin and have to follow with a course of augmentin or whatever. And honestly you don't want to waste time on amoxicillin for a full ten days if the infection is only getting worse. It should appear notably better after a few days if the antibiotic is working.

As for the duration of the antibiotic, sometimes giving it is bad and if you're on day four and if your options are "maybe we can do this one more day" or "six more days? holy gently caress!" that's where having the understanding that five may be enough helps, at least mentally.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tamarillo posted:

there's some intermediary work needed to get him accustomed to the idea of peeing in places other than the nappy and I'm not sure how to achieve that without literally not putting a nappy on him for a while.
You put him in underwear, then he has an unpleasant accident and realize the toilet is the only option. Doing this over a weekend can get you a good start but if daycare won't tolerate the underwear and a week of accidents--I don't know, got nothing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sharkytm posted:

Thread temperature on Janet Lansbury/RIE parenting?
It's a model, and like any model there's aspects that may be worth incorporating in your parenting but it's not the only model.

Sometimes I (did) talk my kids though diaper changes, in part because talking to them was comforting to them even if they didn't understand the words yet, but I didn't/don't talk through it every time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, recommendations for infrared ear thermometers?
The Braun Thermos an 5 is pretty common and works well enough for "fever" vs. "not fever". I don't know if it's totally accurate but it's been good enough for our needs. Works fine on infants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Baby is sick with 101.7 fever and has a runny nose.
I assume she's at least six months--have you tried Motrin to reduce the fever and general fussiness?