Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Does anyone have any links to some scientific sources saying that I don't need to ignore my baby to keep him from being spoiled? I'm getting this "spoiled" stuff from both my family and my husband's family. They will literally call me on the phone and say "you're not picking that baby up too much, are you?"

It's driving me insane, but I can't be too upset with them because I know it's what they were taught. I just need to teach them that that doesn't line up with current theories. But I need to show them something that carries more weight than some random baby website. Links?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Chickalicious posted:

Why do you need to justify your parenting to them? Tell them to butt out.

I just don't see a need to be confrontational about it if I instead have the option to show them that there's evidence that that isn't the best thing to do. Most of them are rational people, and I'd rather educate than alienate.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Awesome Kristin posted:

So Ben is just over 2 months and I've been going by what the pediatrician said last month about making sure he eats no more than 6 hours after he goes to bed. That worked out great and he usually would wake up like 15 minutes or so before my 6 hour alarm went off. Then I would feed him and he'd go right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

The past couple of days he hasn't been waking up on his own after 6 hours. I let him sleep another 15-30 minutes but I start to worry and wake him up to feed him before too long.

Should I let him sleep as long as he wants at this age, or is there a higher limit I should set my alarm to so I can wake him up? I just don't want to let him sleep 7 or 8 hours if he really needs to be eating sooner.

edit: he is breastfed

You can go that long without becoming engorged, painful and leaky?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Awesome Kristin posted:

It's best when I pump after his last feeding of the night. I do get slightly leaky after 6 hours if I haven't pumped the night before. It's not painful but they do get quite full and I pump after his morning feeding and am fine. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I stopped leaking all over the place though.

I was pretty sure that I was dealt a lovely hand with the boob situation, and now I know it. :(
My boobs start to throb and leak after 4 hours. It's been 4 months since I slept more than 4 hours at a stretch, and it's really starting to suck.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I'm still swaddling my little guy at night, but he's almost 5 months old, and I figure we'll probably stop soon. I don't even know that he needs it anymore, but I mostly do it to keep his hands warm. How do you keep their hands warm at night (especially during the winter) once you stop swaddling?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Alterian posted:

My health insurance will cover the cost of a manual breast pump. Any recommendations? I'm going to be renting a higher end one as well, this would be more as a backup.

I've only used one type, which is the Medela Harmony. It was the one I saw recommended the most, so that's what I went with. It's got this dual-sided handle thing so you can start off with short pumps which supposedly encourage the letdown, then you switch to the longer pumps. Gimmick? I have no idea. But I have no complaints either, and it's the only pump I have. I returned my hospital rental (electric) pump because I hated it and I like this better. But that's a fairly unusual preference.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Slo-Tek posted:

So, speaking of son little. While his concepts and vocabulary are consistently excellent, at age 5, he cannot distinguish between Wizard and Lizard, and a lot of his vocabulary is as a result of having to find words that people can distinguish when common ones aren't getting across. We got the "You really really want to spend 100$ for an evaluation of your weird-talking kid" letter from school.

Anybody got themselves speech-pathologized either as a parent or as a kid who can speak on the subject? I keep meeting kids who have been in therapy for their speech defects for years without much improvement. My suspicion is that it will get better with or without another appointment to keep and bill to pay. And if the results I've seen are any indication, the professionals don't help much.

But that may be poorly founded, or misunderstood.

So, anybody get their weird-talking kid fixed? Anybody leave their weird-talking kid alone and have them get better anyway before graduate school?

Both of my aunt's kids had speech problems (not delays though). The older one had a more severe problem, but she didn't get any sort of speech therapy. The younger one had a very mild problem and did get speech therapy. Both of them talk just fine now and you wouldn't guess that either one previously had speech problems.

I think the biggest difference though is that the older one struggled with it for a very long time and consequently got made fun of by other kids. So it might be worth it to save your kid the social problems that it can cause.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Does anyone know about carseats that I can swivel to face front or back while they stay attached to the car? My car (a Honda Element) has the back seats really far back, so that they're not really accessible when the car door is open. This is what it looks like:

It was ok when I was lifting him in his carseat/carrier thing, but he's 5.5 months now and I'm quickly becoming unable to lift it in and out of the car and lug it around. (Aside from which, it's nearly impossible to get that thing out of the car a lot of the time because of the way the door opens.) Because of where the seats are placed in relation to the door, I can't get him out of the carseat without pulling the whole carrier thing out of the car.

I found this blog post about the same issue, and she advocates a seat called the Combi Zeus. If that's my only option, I can get one of those, I just thought that there might be others like it that I hadn't heard about. http://emeryjo.blogspot.com/2009/06/honda-element-car-seat-solution.html

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

Is there a center seat? Could you slide into the car, get him out, and slide out?

Nope, no center seat. The back seats are split down the center because they fold up against the sides of the car.

The Young Marge posted:

Speaking of gifts, here's a silly little question - what do you guys use for Santa Claus Wrapping Paper? I realized I get to pick some out today, and got all excited. I have fond memories of seeing gifts with the special wrapping paper under the tree in the morning at Christmas. My parents just used paper with a smiley Santa print. A friend suggested old-timey stuff, like brown paper with red and green twine, and that sounds pretty boss to me! (Cheap, too.)

In our family, gifts from Santa were not wrapped at all, just placed under the tree. My cousins would get gifts from Santa at their other grandparents' house (the side I wasn't related to), and those were wrapped, which was my first inkling that something was weird with this whole Santa business.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Does everyone pretty much do the Santa thing? We're not there yet, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea. At the same time, I remember how great the idea of Santa is. Is there some sort of middle ground? Like, telling them it's a big group pretend?

I was raised with Santa Claus, and I'm personally against it. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't agree, so we've got roughly a year to figure it out.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Any advice on how to prevent diaper blowouts? They're always up the back, not out the leg, and we have at least one a day since he started sitting up. We're doing disposables, and I've tried two brands with no difference in result. He's going to be 6 months this week, he's roughly 16lbs, and he's wearing size 2. I don't think going up a size will work because he's a very skinny baby and we're already having to fasten the diaper so tight that the tabs overlap in the center. I've heard that cloth works better, but we're just not into doing cloth.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Fionnoula posted:

I hear this all the time, but I'm American and no one I know switches hands all the time when they eat. Everyone I know just holds the fork in the left and the knife in the right.

I'm American and I switch. I guess I'll have to surreptitiously watch my husband to see how he does it.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Chandrika posted:

I'm going to go back to the pharmacy today and see if they have non-codeine cough suppressants, because I've tried it twice now, and don't like it one bit. It takes away the pain and the cough, but brings on a weird twilight zone feeling of not being awake, but not exactly sleeping either. Hard to believe people want to feel like that and use it recreationally.

You might want to ask about Tessalon Perles (benzonatate). They're prescription only, and I've only been prescribed them once in my life, but they were the most effective thing I've ever used for suppressing a cough.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Speaking of sleeping through the night, my guy is 6 months old and breastfed. I wake him once or twice during the night to feed him, because I get engorged, and the discomfort wakes me up. I spend 20 minutes or so feeding him and then we both go back to bed.

Do other breastfeeding mothers do that? Everytime someone finds out that that's how we do it, they act like it's weird or that it might be bad for me to be waking him up. Even the pediatrician acts like it's weird and not ideal. She doesn't specifically say "don't do that," but she always tells me it might be better if I pumped instead of waking him. He's also pretty small for his age (consistently less than the 10th percentile since birth), so I figure he could probably use the extra calories.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I personally only really liked the larger blankets like the Aden & Anais (muslin, 47x47) or Carter's (flannel, 30x40). This does not include the Carter's blankets at Target which are only 30x30.

Standard size is 30x30 and I found that he outgrew them outrageously fast if they weren't at least 40 inches.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Valdara posted:

I have yards and yards of unbleached cotton muslin. Would this work as swaddling blankets if cut to size and hemmed, or is that a different type of fabric?

I have no idea. Theoretically, I think it would work, but I've never looked at muslin in a fabric store, so I have no idea if it's the same or not.

Checking these two links:
http://thecraftingchicks.com/2012/09/diy-muslin-swaddle-blankets.html
http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/celebrate-baby-tutorial-gauzey-swaddle-blankets.html

says that what they sell in the stores isn't the same. Apparently what you need to buy from the fabric store would be labelled "gauze." The only thing I can give you to go on is that the Aden and Anais blankets are just a step away from being cheesecloth.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

She does this thing where she stretches out her arms, and twists her hands while opening and closing her fists a lot. My wife was concerned it's a sign of autism, but I don't think that's the case, since she responds to her name and looks your directly in the eye. Just reinforcing her motor skills right?

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but mine just turned 8 months yesterday and he's been doing this hand clenching and unclenching thing all the time for the past few months. I've been concerned about it, but when I google it, I see a lot of people saying their kid does the same thing. I don't know that that means it's normal, but at least it makes it seem a little less strange.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby spoons that aren't made of plastic (and aren't silicone-coated)? I've gotten pretty paranoid about plastics since I was pregnant, especially plastics that are exposed to heat. The only spoons I see in the stores are plastic or metal with the silicone or other rubbery coating on the bowl.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

I'd think if something's hot enough to affect the bpa-free plastic or silicone, it wouldn't be fed to an infant anyways.

In many cases the BPA in plastics was replaced with Bisphenol-S, which studies are showing is also harmful.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130122191412.htm

BPA can be released without even heating things, heating just makes it easier. For example, cans of tomato products and canned soups have BPA that they've absorbed from the can liner. Since nobody is required to label if a plastic contains BPS at this point, I can't avoid it. And since there are already several ingredients in a variety of plastics that are considered to be bad, it just seems easiest to avoid plastic altogether. I don't know if there's anything bad in silicone, but I'd rather just do stainless steel than have to be concerned about what they might discover about it 20 years from now.

Fionnoula posted:

Grab some demitasse spoons. I picked up a 6 pack of them from Ikea for like $2.

This is an awesome idea. I'll definitely check that out.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Papercut posted:

What are you doing for bottles? Are you just doing lappy cup instead or is there something other than a silicone nipple?

I'm breastfeeding, so we only need bottles on the rare occasion that the husband and I go out without the baby. We use glass bottles, but we're still using the regular silicone nipples because it's just not possible to eliminate everything that I don't like. I only aim to reduce it as much as possible, and spoons are one of those things where it's usefulness isn't diminished if it's made out of another material.

I'm trying to figure out if there's an alternative to plastic cups too, but I figure I'm probably going to have to deal with plastic cups until he gets the motor skills to use control a glass on his own. I have him drink water out of a regular glass when I feed him solids, but I don't see him learning to hold that on his own anytime soon.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

As a followup to my spoon post, I ended up finding these on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Boon-Count-Feeding-Spoon-Orange/dp/B005VLX5RS

They're not the cheapest, but they are the greatest baby spoons ever. I've been using an assortment of hand-me-down baby spoons, both plastic and metal with silicone coating, and these are better than all of them, even with the issue of me wanting to use only metal being taken out of the equation. Something about the weird way they're angled and the narrowness makes it much easier to get all the food in his mouth, even when he's squirmy and distracted. Extra bonus is that the spoon bowl is smaller than most, which means that my husband can't put enormous mounds of food on it the way he does with the other spoons.

I never thought a spoon would make such a difference, but they totally do.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

On a side note, babysteals makes me irritated; it seems like a ton of the stuff is only for girls. Where's all the cool baby boy stuff?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Any recommendations for inexpensive (but sturdy) cribs other than Ikea? The crib we're using is old and has been recalled, but is old enough that I can no longer get the parts that will make it safe. The baby is 9 months old, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on a crib that we're already 1/3rd of the way through the useful period on.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

AlistairCookie posted:

Here he is eating the butt end of some lettuce, because he has no taste buds apparently. ;)

This is from a little while ago, but how the hell do you even discover that your kid likes to eat the butt end of lettuce?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I've never had a problem washing, only drying. And the drying issue tends to be that high heat will melt some types of (fake, stuffed animal) fur, so you end up with a weird, matted mess. After washing, roll them up in some dry towels and sit or step on them to squish as much of the water out as possible. You can usually dry them on a low heat setting, but that might take forever.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That baby is unsettling and not cute.

That was my reaction as well. It looks like some kind of scary alien.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Social Security just released the name popularity for 2012. Looks like the Benjamin thing isn't just popular with goons; it was number 16 in popularity.

Also, in 2012 there were 206 baby boys born with the first name of Legend, 335 with the first name of Sincere, 499 named Justice!

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Alterian posted:

How are you finding the number of instances of the name other than the rank?

Jasper was ranked 264. The last time the name was that high on the list was 100 years ago.

Go to the site (here for anyone who hasn't already seen it: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/oact/babynames/) and there are three tabs under the Top 10 list. Click the "Popular Names by Birth Year" and enter whatever year you're looking for. Choose Top 1000 from the Popularity dropdown (or less if you know that the name is pretty popular). Under that are two radio buttons for "Percent of total births" or "Number of births," click the "number of births" one and hit "Go." Then you can just do a "Find" from your browser for the name you're looking to see the numbers for.

You can see how many Johns, Michaels, etc were born in the year you put in. What it doesn't seem to do is show you how many Johns were born in 2012 vs 2011, vs 2010, etc. You can run it for each year though and find out that way.

EDIT: Blame the rise in popularity of Jasper on Twilight.

EDIT 2: It counts each spelling variation as it's own name, so while there were 14,779 Aidens, there were an additional 6,181 Aydens, 1,142 Adens, 335 Aydans, and 329 Aydins.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 10, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

My guy didn't lose weight, but didn't get back to his birth weight as soon as they wanted him to, and even once he did, he was in the 5th percentile or less for the first 3 or 4 months.

I breastfeed too, and I just made sure I was feeding him pretty much every 2-3 hours during the day, whether he was asking to eat or not. Then I would wake him up and feed him during the night, even though he would have slept longer. (The doctor told me I didn't need to wake him up at night, but my boobs were being drained every 2 hours during the day and weren't allowing me to go more than 4 hours at night with leaking everywhere). He's 11 months this week and now he's up to almost the 10th percentile. Even at 11 months, with 2-3 meals of solids each day, I still nurse him about 7-8 times each day, so 5 seems like a terribly small amount.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Maybe gas pain? Does it occur a set amount of time after a feeding?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ben Davis posted:

If you're using scissors, maybe try clippers? I have to cut his nails while he's nursing. Sometimes he still takes convincing. We do one extremity at a session :)

Our situation (at almost 1 year) is the same. I can only clip nails while he's nursing, and sometimes not even then. Whenever I think about weaning, I realize that he'll have crazy long witch nails if I do.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Axiem posted:

Jeeze football guys. Our daughter steadfastly refuses to go above 20 pounds, and she just turned a year.

Mine is turning 1 this month and he's only 20lbs if he's just had a big meal. He's in the 50-something percentile for height though, so he's not a midget, just skinny.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Professor Bananas posted:

I hate following questions with another question (I'm sorry I don't have good advice myself :( ) but can anyone give me just a little reassurance on weaning? I started giving my son solids at 5 and a half months and for about 4 weeks he enthusiastically ate anything off the spoon like a hungry baby bird. He's 7 months now though and has been refusing food for the last few weeks. I've been cheerily offering a variety of purees and finger foods daily just in case (never forcefeeding) but it's been mostly jaw clamped and head turned, or he wants to squish it all in his hands but not eat.

I was fine with keeping going like this and assuming he's not ready or that he's asserting his independence, but today I tried drizzling some mango puree from a pouch onto some rice pudding and he reached for the pouch and wanted to suck on it, then he started guzzling it down (this has never happened before as I make his food from fresh and have just bought a few pouches to try something different). So I got a veggie puree pouch and he guzzled happily from that too.

He hates being spoon fed these days, and likes to lick finger food but gets upset if it actually breaks off and he has to chew and swallow it. Does it sound like he's not ready and will come around later? If he's not ready should I keep putting him in the chair every day to try as long as he's enjoying playing with the food and not getting upset over it?

If it makes any difference he's 90-95th percentile for weight and exclusively breastfed (he's huuuge). Any advice is welcome because every day that we end up with food everywhere but in the baby I feel like I've failed a little bit and that I have no clue what I'm doing.

You're right around teething time, so that can affect his eating patterns. My little guy starts refusing solids when he's got a tooth about to break through, and then resumes eating them a few days later.

Mine also loves food in the pouch container, so I let him have them. I have a really hard time getting substantial amounts of food into him before he gets bored and fussy. If I try to spoon feed him or let him self feed little bits of finger foods, he gets maybe 2oz worth. If I give him a 4oz pouch, he'll suck it down like lightning. So we do finger foods first, until he's bored, then I hand him a pouch.

The only caveat that I'd give is to check the ingredients on the back of the pouch. Many of them are labelled on the front as though they're veggies only, and if you read the back, the number one ingredient is apple puree. Nothing wrong with fruits, but most of them seem to be applesauce with some veggies added.

I actually make my guy's purees too, and I use a big syringe to refill the pouches with them. I rinse the pouch out as well as I can, then toss it in the freezer, in case there's any food residue that I didn't clean out. After I make a batch of puree, I pull the empty pouches out of the freezer and refill them, then put that in the refrigerator.

We also have a reusable silicone pouch called a Sili Squeeze, but so far he makes a huge mess with that one.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I had the in-laws constantly clamoring to see the baby, but then when I would bring him to them (literally drive 40-45 minutes to see them), they'd hold him for 5 minutes, then put him down and leave him alone "so he won't get spoiled." One of them even pointed out how when they play with him, they don't hold him or touch him and just lay him on the floor and play from a short distance away.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

rectal cushion posted:

Prunes can definitely get things going. Just, uh, be careful with the amount. I've overdone the prunes sometimes and the results have not been pretty.

Yeah I gave my kid one of these pouches of prunes:
http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Organics-Prunes-3-5-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B005LTHR7O
which is only 3.5 ozs, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. He pooped so much that I think that poop time-traveled from the future into his diaper, because he pooped more than he had eaten that day. And he pooped like 8 times in 24 hours.

Do not underestimate the power of prunes.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Anyone have any suggestions to keep a 1-year-old from moving all over the damned bed while bed sharing? He's very restless and wakes me up constantly. I'm not bed sharing on purpose, it's just the only way we've managed to get any sleep at all.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

frenchnewwave posted:

This is an awesome idea. I'm going to suggest it to my husband. Our 8 month old sleeps in bed with me while my husband sleeps in the other room. Not ideal. She'll fall asleep in her crib but wakes up about an hour later and is inconsolable until she's next to me (and my boobs).

This is sort of my situation, and why I'm hesitant to put the crib in my room. Around 75% of the time, he'll spend the first 4-6 hours sleeping in his crib. Then he wakes up and there's no getting him back to sleep unless we put him in bed with us, and he's there for the rest of the night. About 2 nights a week, I can't get him to fall asleep at all, so he just spends the whole night in our bed.

If I move the crib into our room, then I'm completely giving up those amazing 4 hours where my kid is not all up in my business.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

frenchnewwave posted:

I hear you. She used to sleep through the night, then she would maybe wake up once, and now she's up every 2 ish hours. For some reason we are making backwards progress. Sleeping together in the bed is just easier for me to actually get some sleep :/

The same thing happened with us (regarding the backwards progress.) I don't know if it's a phase or what. He was sleeping 8 hours a night without waking up for several months, and now he sleeps for about 4 (6 if I'm very lucky) and then after that he's up every 1-2 hours all night long. On average, I'm up 4-5 times each night.

I've been trying to shovel as much solid food into him as I can right before bedtime in case he's reverse cycling.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

DwemerCog posted:

Have people who say their baby won't sleep without bed sharing tried swaddling? I am interested to know because my baby never sleeps more than an hour without swaddling. I use things like the halo sleep sack swaddler (it has Velcro) not the ordinary blankets as they just collapse into a loose heap after baby has wriggled in them for a while. I think it only works on newborns so I will need another solution eventually.

I did swaddle, and that got us through the first 4 months or so, but at 13 months, swaddling isn't really any option anymore.

We didn't bed share at all until he was around 10 months old because I had safety concerns, and I don't particularly enjoy it now. I just can't find any other way to get him back to sleep after he wakes up. We have tons of sleep problems with this little guy in general (barely sleeps, barely naps, wtf) but I figure I can't complain too much since he's pretty easy in every other aspect. The way I look at it, every kid is going to have things that are a struggle and this just happens to be his.

EDIT: Just to be clear, it wasn't a "oh he's 10 months now, let's put the baby in our bed!" it was more that nothing else worked and after month after month of very little sleep and nothing else working, we just gave in. Every night we try to put him to sleep in his crib first, but he eventually ends up in our bed during the night.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

FishBulb posted:

Which one of you has experience with making your own baby food? I have an immersion blender and a food processor, would I be able to do it with that set up or should I get a food mill? Buying one of the baby food specific mills seems like a sucker deal, but I could justify a mill for other uses.

I make my own food, and I only have an immersion blender (no food processor, no baby-specific tools). It works just fine.