Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You'll want a convertible carseat for sure. Basically, facing backwards is safer for EVERYONE, but cars just aren't built that way. It's smart to try and rearface as long as you can, especially when they're so young. I know somone on here will have saved a link to the video of what happens to a crashtest dummy forward-facing and rearfacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Konomex posted:

In my state/country you're supposed to have them rear facing for the first six months and then in a child safety seat with a five point harness until they're seven. My daughters almost 5 months and she's almost topped the height for her seat which will then need to be swapped to forward facing.

Should I be concerned and splash out for a bigger rear facing seat? I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get in my country. On the other hand I'm a pretty safe/defensive driver so I'm not likely to get into any accidents.

I'm not sure where you live, but I'd really encourage you to get a convertible car seat. They let you rearface until 40 lbs (depending on the seat) and then you can turn them around if you have to and don't have access to bigger rearfacing seats.

edit: Here's that video that compares the two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 6, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

This isn't what you're going for, but I just threw away all my cases and put all my cds and dvds into binders. So much more space and easier to keep him out of!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I think I've heard Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons recommended before. I don't have it, but I've peeked at it in stores, and it includes a script so you know just how to explain things. Maybe that would be helpful!

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 12, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Which ones are you using now? We use Pampers Babydry overnight; they're 12 hour diapers. They're the ones that had a big hoopla because they give really bad rashes to some kids. I know nothing was officially found, but some people here experienced it with their kids. For us, they've been FANTASTIC, though.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Have you tried putting him down to sleep an hour earlier? And maybe feeding more often during the day?

What sort of routine do you have going for naps and nighttime? It takes a little while for them to take effect, but I think it's worth it. Each child is different in what works for them--a lot of people like baths before bedtime, but every single time we do that for Kosta, he has a huge royal meltdown while getting dried off, so it's not worth it.

Does he have a lovey? We introduced one (small & firmly-stuffed) at about 6 months. I stuck it in my shirt for a while so it'd smell like me, then had him hold it while I nursed him, and put him in the crib still holding it. We chose a bunny and he liked chewing and sucking on the ears instead of a paci.

edit: are you in Australia or NZ? Careful on the gel, it could be giving him more tummy upset. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/teething-gel-danger-for-infants/story-fn6bm90q-1226005032121

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 19, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm really glad you're acting on it, VorpalBunny. I know it's hard to confront people.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

If it's a new thing, do you think she could be sick or have teeth coming in? Ear infections are tricky things to figure out sometimes.

Seconding this, I just took my little guy in for his well-child checkup. He's been screaming on and off in the night the past few weeks and it took us a while to figure out teeth were coming in because they were way in the back and not really visible. I didn't figure out until he bit me while I was cleaning his mouth with a washcloth :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I was just going to post what Chickalicious did. Plop her in a carrier and she'll be exercising her neck and back and helping round out the back of her head! When I took my little guy to physical therapy for torticollis, the pt was thrilled that we had him in an ergo instead of a stroller for that reason.

edit to say that I didn't do loads of tummy time on the floor, but did a LOT of laying on mama time and ergo time, and it worked just fine.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess I should give in and get the yogurt bites. I'm too cautious I suppose.

Totally do the yogurt bites. Taste them! They melt in your mouth. You know what else is good is banana, mashed with a fork. It's soft and slippery, but not really a puree. My husband was REALLY nervous about foods, but let me lead the way, and we're lucky to have a really good eater at 12 months. He'll eat anything from our plates, from a gyro to steamed green beans to liver to buttered toast. My advice to you is to just take a baby heimlich class or at least watch a video on it. Then you're as prepared as you can be.

edit: and the hand clenching thing could be him indicating he wants something. That's what my neighbor's 10-month-old does!

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 19, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

No Butt Stuff, I'm really glad you recognize that you don't want to hit or spank. It takes a lot to recognize and admit that you need to change! I strongly recommend "Becoming the Parent You Want to Be." It came to me goon-recommended, and I find it really useful. It covers pretty much everything--crying, tantrums, toilet training, parental anger, etc. The chapter I'm looking at right now is called "Being Human: When You're Not Yet the Parent You Want to Be" and it talks about recognizing anger, controlling it, discussing it with your children afterwards, that sort of thing.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'd think if something's hot enough to affect the bpa-free plastic or silicone, it wouldn't be fed to an infant anyways.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Dittoing the focusing on milk/formula! Also, what kinds of foods does she like trying so far? My favorites were Greek yogurt (which I also appreciate because it's less drippy), and he'd self-feed berries, cheeses, toast, steamed chopped veggies (right out of the bag) chopped tomatoes, and bananas.

We're just now getting on to doing 3 meals a day--before we did usually at least one, sometimes 2, and occasional snacks here and there.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

WATCH OUT FOR THAT GIANT BABY

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Has she been consistently eating this much at night, or is it a recent (growth-spurt-related) thing? Sleeping through the night is such a back and forth process. It changes with growth spurts and teeth and developmental milestones.

6 months is when I started introducing a lovey--a small, firmly-stuffed stuffed animal. He couldn't care less about it at first, but I had him hold it every time I nursed, and tucked it in my shirt for a while so it smelled like me. We also had a few noise-making toys--the sleep sheep and the Fisher-Price seahorse--playing every time we fed before naps or bedtime. We wanted him to get the idea that you hold this soft thing and hear this music and then it's time to sleep. The seahorse is nice because gradually, you can get them to turn it on to soothe themselves back to sleep without you getting up. Of course, not all kids care about it.

That much food during the night really does make it sound like she's not getting enough during the day (or not accepting it because she's used to getting it at night). We're also a nurse before-and-after nap family, but I don't think we were getting up every two hours at night at 6 months. I'll be honest, that sounds like hell!

I know people with more experience will chime in about changing feeding schedules, but I'd advise your husband just go sleep in a different room for a few nights. It's nice to be with family, but there's really no point if he's just lying there awake, not able to do anything.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

That's the one :)

Edit: It's not like it's magic, it's just that since the part that lights up is the part you push, it's a little easier for babies to understand than the traditional glow worm.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How have people here tackled teeth brushing in young ‘uns? Amelia’s 15 months now, but she’s been pretty resistant to it ever since she’s had teeth. She normally tries to eat the toothpaste, then protests as we try to actually do some brushing. This seems to be getting worse, if anything. Obviously we can get firm and do it anyway, but we’re both worried about her ending up with a complex about it, and it’s not nice forcing her to do something that ends up with her crying.

I imagine this isn’t too uncommon, so was wondering what tactics people might have employed to make the whole process easier.

Our ped told us not to worry about toothpaste until Kosta figures out how to spit, so we just do water! We always sing the same song: "Brush, brush, brush your teeth, brush them every day! Brush them up and brush them down, brush the plaque away. Brush, brush, brush your teeth, brush them all day long, brush them up and brush them down, so they grow in strooooooong" to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat. :3 It's really silly, but he knows the brushing lasts as long as the song (which we stretch out as needed). Sometimes he's a squirmer and hates it. If he's having a rough day, giving him a second toothbrush to hold helps a lot. When he's teething, I just wipe with a wet washcloth, because he gets super sensitive to the bristles.

For TV, I get that sometimes you may feel like you'll go nuts without a break. I've put on Sesame Street now and then when I feel like the day will never end, even though K is way too young for it. I think it's important to know that we're doing it for ourselves and that it's not ideal for the kids.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 17, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Look at it this way--if the doctor sees 100 kids like this and 5 will go on to have a serious problem (just pulling this number out of my rear end), she's not really hurting the rest by recommending more talking at home or therapy or whatever. No harm done if he gets extra attention he doesn't need, you know?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ansiktsburk posted:

Hi, thread. Seeing the current discussion about speech development brings up something I've been mulling over for a while and have been meaning to ask here, but first...

This is my 13-month-old son, Devin.

My husband and I are attempting to raise him bilingually. Since birth, my husband has spoken to Devin primarily in Russian, which is my husband's native language. We live in the US, near where I was born and raised and where most of my family lives, so we spend a lot of time with them and our son is exposed to tons of English. I try to speak to him in both languages as I am able, but most of what I know is very general rather than pertaining to babies/toddlers and their interests--I don't really know the words for different toys or any Russian games or anything like that. My husband skypes with his parents a couple times a week so they can talk to Devin and they will be arriving in 10 days for their first visit since his birth. They'll be bringing some Russian books to add to the few we have as well as some DVDs, but we're worried that that's not enough exposure.

Has anyone else here been there and done that? I was wondering if anyone might have ideas for how to increase exposure. Ideally, of course, we'd like to raise him into fluency with both languages and no accent in either, but he spends the vast majority of his time with me (I'm a stay-at-home mom for now) and my shoddy Russian with its big rear end American accent isn't the best starting point. I was thinking about dragging out my old Russian textbooks when he's a bit older and getting ideas from there, but I'm coming up dry when trying to think of what else we could do to give him a good, solid base in the language now to build from in the future.

At his 9 month checkup, Devin's pediatrician did notice that his language development is delayed and had immediately realized it was because he was hearing two languages in the home, so hopefully that's a good sign. He says Mama and Papa, but those are used in both English and Russian so we're waiting to see if he will learn a word that is distinctly one or the other language and which will be first. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? We would be forever grateful for any suggestions.

I began trimming my son's hair a little starting when he was 5 months or so, but he has been so increasingly squirmy about it that I finally gave up and took him in to a children's salon. I just googled something like "baby haircuts" and the name of the city we live in. We scheduled an appointment at a place that had a lot of good reviews and took him in yesterday. It was quick and cheap for a basic cut, and it looks way better than my incompetent attempts. Afterward, they gave my son a free toy and gave us a cheesy certificate:

We're in that situation. :) My husband is fluent in Greek and I can have conversations, but nothing too deep. My husband does his best to speak to Kosta only in Greek, and I do mostly English. I remembered from my secondary language classes that it's easier for the kids that way to figure out the rules of the language. His grandparents all do a mix of both languages, and he hears Greek at church too.

His first words came a week after his first birthday and were mummum, nani, and mama--all Greek. They were also words that I happened to be using in Greek, though--so basically I wouldn't stress about the fact that you don't have the fluency of a native speaker. Just say some words as you can, and he'll at least learn those words. Let him learn the rest from his dad--you'll just be reinforcing!

We found out that 2 local libraries have children's books in dozens of languages---something that wasn't there when we were kids. There were only 2 board books, but that's still 2 more than we owned, and as he gets older, we can read him the other books. I also found some popular kids' movies dubbed into Greek that he can watch in a year or so.

If you want to improve your own Russian, a church in the area might offer evening classes. They're usually aimed towards people who marry into the culture, so you'd be right at home :)

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

He's not going to not speak just because you're repeating things, but maybe it'll take longer to figure out which bits are Russian and which are English--not the worst thing in the world :) One other easy thing we do is have certain stuffed animals who 'speak' Greek and others who only know English. Even for my level of fluency, it's easy to speak for a stuffed animal!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to wean from the swaddle? My daughter is 18 weeks and still needs to be swaddled at night. I know I've got to break the habit soon but she's so used to it and it keeps her from smacking herself awake all night.

My son was swaddled until 6 months too. It's safe until they can roll over (then you want them to have hands free to roll back). When he started outgrowing his biggest swaddler, I started with one hand out, then both (swaddled tightly under his arms so he'd still feel secure), and then had to make the switch to putting him down awake (which was about due to happen anyways). We introduced a lovey at the same time, which helped immensely.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Iwik, I noticed that when my son learned to roll over, to get on all 4s, to sit up, to crawl, and to pull up, his sleep went to total poo poo each time. I bet you in a week it'll be a bit better. (I also say this every page or so, but 6 months is a great time to introduce a lovey to snuggle--K has a rabbit and a musical seahorse with him)

edit: Acrolos, you just keep feeding that baby :) I don't have all the records of how fast Kosta grew in the first few weeks, but to put it in perspective, he was 6lbs 3oz at his lowest, and then went up to 14 lbs by 9 weeks. They can really pack it on, especially early on!

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 28, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

My ped said any small, firmly stuffed (not beanbaggy) thing or tiny blanket (like the little washcloth-sized ones you're talking about), and that I could tie the blanket in a knot if I was nervous about it covering his face. Basically, something he could accidentally drop on his face and not have suffocate him. We chose a bunny that didn't have any button eyes or anything that could be chewed off and choked on, and I'd tuck the tips of the ears into his mouth for him to chew on. He dropped the habit after a few months, but it helped a lot.

I started out giving it to him in the car and having him hold it while he nursed. I also stuck it in my shirt a few times so it'd smell more like me. The one mistake I made was choosing something that had been discontinued for years, so we can't get a backup.

Nowadays, I leave it in the crib unless we're having a long day. Sometimes he'll carry it out of the crib with him, but he doesn't really seem to care when he's in the car or out and about anymore. He's more into a sock monkey. I suppose the one is the fun-time toy and the other is more a sleepy comfort thing?

I'm totally jealous that yours doesn't mind the playpen. Kosta has a total meltdown the moment he's in there!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Acrolos posted:

Yes, we have tried to swaddle, but that makes her much more agitated than simply laying her down without. She is a very "kicky" baby and will throw a fit until she gets her legs free.

Dear prudence already offered some different ways to swaddle, but how exactly are you swaddling? We used a swaddleme, and the legs aren't restrained in it--it's a loose bag on bottom. That might be easier!

Happiest Baby in the Block is the best book on the topic, to me.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We have the old-fashioned kind of cabinet locks for now, and when/if he figures those out, we'll install the magnetic ones. We left as many open as we could--one that's full of towels and napkins and the ones for unbreakable pots & pans, so he has something to interact with in the kitchen. You can always move the poisons high up, too!

Kosta hated most chewy things but LOVED this one http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone-Teether-Bristles-Colors/dp/B005LETP1A because it's got a bristly feel and was soft and easy to hold. It's also easy to attach to a paci clip if you're out and about!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I believe oragel and other numbing gels aren't recommended anymore.

http://babies411.com/infant-news/news/baby-orajel-warning-relieving-teething-pain-safely-new.html

"The FDA is warning parents and caregivers not to use benzocaine-containing medication on children younger than 2 years of age unless otherwise recommended by a physician."

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

You can feel free to ask your ped this at your 6-month checkup--mine has a handout about feeding!

That early, you really don't have to worry about getting in meals. It's all about the textures and the new experience. In my opinion, offer it when you want, and don't feel guilty if he goes days on just milk. His formula or breastmilk (no cow's milk yet!) is his real food right now, and everything else is dessert. Offering milk first and then solids after is the standard advice until age 1--I'll admit that I just put solids at a different time because he often took his naps right after nursing. :)

Dreamcatcherkwe will have good advice on baby-led-weaning--I know she advised me when I started!

e: i was slow to type :P

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

At what age did your children start becoming attached to their lovies? Just curious. My daughter is only 5 months old so right now she loves every toy equally as long as she can chew on it. I did buy her a little security blanket to see if it would help her sleep better but haven't tried it yet for fear of her covering her face.

Around 7 months he started really wanting his bunny to sleep with, but he doesn't usually take it out of the crib or anything at 14 months.

My ped said that if I wanted to use a little blanket but was nervous about it, to just tie it in a knot until he was bigger!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

A lot of times they'll end up looking a little wonky, but it's worth it to me to have toys clean. Leave it somewhere sunny to dry and it'll probably be fine :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We have the Nosefrida, which is really similar. You have to pin him down to use it, but it works way better than the bulb and also doesn't go in the nose, which is nice. I've only replaced the filter once in 14 months. I'd recommend something like it because I saw a horror picture of how mold grows in the bulb syringes because they're so hard to dry out.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Keep in mind tha if she's learning any new skills like rolling, sitting, crawling, etc, she'll probably be spitting up more than usual.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

It's a crappy situation. I'd honestly keep on not letting her watch and work on de-escalating blow-ups as they occur. Maybe try not to mention when other people are watching the baby too, and make her feel like she's getting extra attention? You could take a few nice pictures of her holding the baby too and print them out or FB them.

I know it sounds like how you deal with a jealous child, but it's pretty much the same thing. My mom is also not allowed to watch the baby, and each time she offers, we say thank you so much and leave it at that, or sometimes mention how we don't go out alone so often because we like spending time with the baby. I try never to mention how my MIL watches him, because it'll just make my mom spiral in her actions.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

frenchnewwave posted:

I'm a little confused by my 5 month old. When she was about 3.5 months old, she would roll from front to back during tummy time. A few weeks later she tried rolling from back to front but wouldn't quite make it. Then she stopped rolling altogether and hasn't for about a month. Was the initial rolling just a fluke? I thought by now she'd be rolling all over the place.

Normal :) Mine did pretty much the same thing and then didn't roll in front of us for so so long. At least 2 months, I'd say, maybe more. I eventually caught him rolling on the video monitor and calmed down. Trollbabies!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

That's horrible! All the milestones do mess up sleep :( Does he have a lovey or a sleep sheep or seahorse in his crib? Anything to snuggle or turn on by himself when he wakes up might help, especially if it smells like you or he holds it while nursing or drinking milk. My other thought is that he might still be having pain with his tooth--even after they cut through the gum, it hurts as they push up. Maybe try a dose of tylenol before nap or bed and see if it makes a difference?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Chicken McNobody posted:

Can you guys post your favorite toddler cough and cold remedies? My 15-month-old has been sick off and on for the last month, and at this point it could not be more transparent that the pediatricians give gently caress zero. To be fair, as they told me this morning, it probably is viral and they'd just be treating symptoms...but it's the symptoms that are making him miserable, and I'd like to maybe treat that a little so he doesn't feel so bad.

He's had congestion, runny nose, coughing and sneezing, for a few days each week, for the last month. Every now and then he's also run fever of about 100-102 degrees, and he had an ear infection at one point which has been successfully treated. They thought he might have allergies, but allergies don't usually come with fever. He's on Zyrtec for them anyway. In light of the recent scary things coming out about giving babies cough medicine I don't want to load him up on it too much (although it is very tempting...I gave him a quarter teaspoon of Little Colds last night and he actually slept all night for the...4th time? in his short life). We have a cold mist humidifier but it doesn't seem to help much.

What works for your little ones?
I was told that the reason infant cold medications were discontinued was because parents were overdosing their children, not because of ineffectiveness. I'd switch to a ped if they can't even suggest something that'll help with the symptoms, especially with how long it's been going on. When my little guy has a cold, we give him some loratadine to help with the runny nose and drainage, which helps him sleep better and helps prevent the worst of the sore throat & coughing. We also give him some honey for coughs.

I've never used the little colds thing, but if it's age-appropriate, I'd go for it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ariza posted:

I would talk to your pediatrician before giving your baby loratadine though. I've never heard of that and all the info I can find says not to give it to babies under 2 (even professionally).

Well yeah, we only gave it to our son because our ped recommended it (and my ped SIL confirmed it being fine). I wouldn't advise just giving your baby medicine without confirming it with your doctor!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Baby Name Wizard will show you a graph of popularity from year to year!

e: http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 10, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Can you set a timer on your phone to go off every 2 hours or something like that, and feed then?

I think it's great that you've got 2 weeks to work on it and that you and your ped are on top of it. If you do end up supplementing after that, you know there's nothing wrong with that :) Whatever it takes to get those calories in!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

She could be reacting to that specific brand of formula. I know some babies do better with certain types!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I like the neutrogena baby sunscreen. It also comes in stick form that I tried out for the first time yesterday, and it worked really well! No goop, no sweating it into his eyes, just swipe swipe swipe and done. The cream stuff spreads well too, like a thin lotion.