Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

SmokeyXIII posted:

Alistair is almost one year old and he has never ever stopped crying/screaming/groaning at us and my wife and I are more stressed out than we have ever been in our lives. We're just about ready to try cry it out (either the baby or us). What the hell can we do to make him not fuss. It may be teething idk but he's already got 7 teeth. Its like he uses screaming at us as his favored kind of communication. AAHHHH!!!!

Also I want to get a back pack kind of thing to wear him in and at the same time maintain my manliness. Obviously it has to be cammo or have skulls on it or something. Does anyone know of such a product that isn't blatantly wearing a baby.

I love my Ergo, which you can find in most brick and mortar stores, try out, and then return if you dislike it. It runs $120 in most places, and $60 at places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls in limited colors like camel and black. If you've tried an Ergo and don't like it, but like the idea, other ideas are a Tula, an ABC, and a Beco Gemini. Those are all available online, or possibly in crunchy parenting shops in your area. Those 3 all have wider seats, too. I'd avoid anything Bjorn, because they tend to hurt your back.

Your baby is supposed to be squished against you, because if there's room to spare, he'll fall or climb out. :) I'm not even going to touch the manliness comment OH MY GOD IM HOLDING MY OFFSPRING NOBODY LOOK

Have you given him Tylenol or Motrin when he's in pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

If I were you I would wait until you are both calm and have a serious conversation about the best way to handle money. People say really lovely things sometimes that they don't mean at all. If you do decide that both of you working is the best thing for the family and you find something that works in with your health and childcare requirements don't get stuck paying all of the expenses related to the children. That's something I see a lot of in couples with children I know who don't have shared finances.

This, exactly. Everyone has at some time said something mean and untrue. If he was just doing that, no problem, he can apologize and you can move on. If he meant it, you need to have a few calm talks during a naptime.

I used to work retail while my husband make 5x my salary (I made nothing). At that time, he paid for all the bills and I used my money for groceries and fun surprises for us both, Christmas shopping, things like that. He paid for us when we were out. If I needed more money, he gave it to me, and if he needed cash, he grabbed it from my wallet. It wasn't really mine or his, which is how we liked it.

Now I stay at home with our toddler and he still works. I'm on his debit and my credit card statement goes to both our emails. He still pays for everything, and sticks cash in my wallet every few weeks so I can use it in places where debit's not accepted (library, mom to mom sales), so I don't have to bother stopping by an ATM. We don't really have rules about what to buy, but I'm both cheap and talkative, so he hears about everything. We definitely talk before huge purchases, but we did that before too. I do grocery shopping sometimes, and he does it if I haven't gotten a chance to.

I think he once referred to it jokingly as his money, I got massively pissed, and he realized that I didn't think it was funny and apologized.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

MarshallX posted:

https://www.owletcare.com

We just ordered one of these for my week old daughter who has Wolff Parkinson Whyte syndrome - we have to monitor her heart rate every couple of hours and using a stethoscope at 4AM is pretty brutal.

On one hand I think we are being over-cautious and people are going to say we are going too far...but on the other hand the simplicity and benefit to us this provides is worth its weight.

Do I think parents with normal babies need this? Probably not. Given our circumstances though...am I being crazy?

I think that's perfect for your situation.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

How violent can a 7 month old really be? At that age, they're not trying to hurt someone on purpose. I'm sure you can manage to prevent him from damaging your baby.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Chouzan posted:

I don't know. His parents say he's violent and keep telling me how he goes after other babies. They're questionable parents and he sees a lot of spanking and gets swatted for things already so I'm honestly not shocked when they claim he's violent.

This seems like a good solution. I can't imagine he'd hit hard enough to do more damage than shock, so I'll definitely try mittens.

D: That's horrifying. This is how big a 7-month-old is, and that's what they're hitting.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Sockmuppet, I always tried to do sleep-related things at naps first, so by the time we tried it at bedtime (when I was more likely to be stressed out by it), it was a little easier going.

Mercury Ballistic, I traveled with my then-19-month-old to Greece this September. The Cosco Scenera is $39 and fits in airplane seats even with the armrest down. You can just bring a little piece of rope and tie it to a wheelie suitcase, and then gate-check it when you get to the airplane so there's less chance of it getting damaged. Examine it carefully for white marks when you get it back, because those are signs of impact and the airline will have to replace your seat (this happened when we were forced by AirFrance to check ours with the regular luggage). It's probably even cheaper than renting a carseat, and you know that it's a safe one for him, not expired, hasn't been in any accidents, and so on. Carseat regulations are different all over the world--a cousin wanted to lend me her kid's carseat, but they don't rear-face as long over there, and I wasn't comfortable turning him around in the car-crash capital of Europe.

One very important thing is to contact each airline you're using and verify that they allow for gate-checking. AirFrance was a huge pain in the rear end there.

It was really rough, I won't lie, but I think it was a harder age. He was just big enough to want to run up and down the aisles, not small enough to fall asleep easily in arms, not old enough to pay attention to a movie reliably, and so on and so forth. The big helpers were that we packed a LOT of food, fruits, yogurt melts, dried fruit and shelf-stable kid yogurt, both for the ride there and the trip back, since the whole sweet kiddie snacks thing wasn't a huge thing in Greece.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 4, 2014

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

There's really no good choice if you can't afford to buy an extra seat (as we couldn't, this summer)--either you take your chance with a rental seat that's possibly expired and possibly been in an accident, or risk your car seat getting damaged. We did the latter. I'm looking forward to being able to use a Ridesafe vest when my little guy gets older and we travel out of country.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

My 23-month-old loves this Sånd stuff from Brookstone. It's more expensive than regular sand, but it falls apart very slowly, has a neat texture, and is easy to clean up. It's kind of like a sand/playdoh mix.

Another good simple thing would be to get a little plastic caboodle and stuff it with art supplies. Paintbrushes, washable paint, crayons, glitter crayons, chalk, and then wrap it up with a huge pad of paper.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

We use privates or business for that region in general, and balls and penis for specifics. I want him to be able to tell me what parts hurt if there's ever an issue like that, but I don't feel like I need to get clinical and be all "MAMA'S WIPING YOUR GENITALS."

Front bottom is hilariously bad!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

If you personally don't want to play the videos in the car, you can try to find the soundtrack to whatever you're playing and put that in the cd player. That works well for us--Signing Time cds and the Winnie the Pooh songs get a lot of playtime in our car.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Poor baby just wants to be able to post about farts and babies in peace :(

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I wish I'd known about that when my son was little. I saw that video of the car seat falling off the cart, and that totally could've been him :( Most of the shopping carts in our area don't say not to do it, so we had no clue. I read the manual before he was born, but apparently that part just slipped right out of my head.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ring slings are awesome baby carriers. Not the crappy uncomfortable Balboa Baby you see in stores, but something like a Maya Wrap or a Rockin Baby, or even something from Etsy. They're easy to adjust and a lot easier to understand when you've got a tiny baby to deal with.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I personally think it's easier for tiny children to fall asleep and be comfortable in a semi-reclined car seat instead of a big person's seat. The Cosco Scenera is $39 and incredibly light--we tied ours to our rolling luggage without a problem.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

greatn posted:

We're going to France and I'll be alone with Arthur for a decent chunk of time while my wife is in a conference. What is the best carrier I should get for a ten month old? He'll just have outgrown his Bjorn. He's 90th percentile height and 50th percentile weight.

We're staying very close to Notre Dame so there's a ton of awesome stuff in walking distance and I'm going to want to walk around.

I like the Beco Butterfly II because it's super easy to do a back carry in, and can sort of double as a cloth harness for a chair if you stop somewhere to eat. You can order it off of Amazon. It really is personal, though--like getting a pair of shoes.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Speaking of parties, has anyone ever been to a birthday party for twins? My girls are not old enough to have friends yet, but when the time comes I was thinking of letting them throw sperate parties so that they can each have "their day." Is this a common thing? I assume I am not reinventing the wheel or anything, but I also haven't put much thought into party etiquette yet.

My nephews are twins, but they just do one big party. There's so much overlap in friends and family that it would take a lot of effort and time to do it twice.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Is there a reason you can't see her more often than that? I know every other weekend is the stereotypical thing, but when my parents got divorced, I spent every weekend with my dad, he drove me to school many mornings, and I saw him for church activities Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, so I never felt like I was lacking. I think it really affected our relationship positively then and even now, to see how much he wanted to see me.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Lyz posted:

Oh my god, just let him take the baby and thank your lucky stars you have a husband brave enough to take off with the baby on his own and give you a break. drat, I can barely get my husband to take both kids with him when he does errands. Pump while they're gone and your supply will bounce back when the baby returns.

Just because your husband's an rear end doesn't mean she doesn't have a valid concern. Some people's supplies can handle trips, others will tank. You can't really know until it happens (unless she has prior experience with bringing her supply back up--mine tanked during an illness, but then came back once I started fenugreek, so if she knows she responds well to galactologues, I wouldn't be worried about the trip :) )

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

jassi007 posted:

We never did Co sleeping with either of our boys. It is a trade off your life is hell for the first several months but by 5 to 6 months they are wonderful. I'd rather that than fighting 12+ month old kids they a lot smarter and aware of the world.

I coslept (but not bedshared) for 5 months and switched my little guy over with no issues. He loves his room now and refuses to sleep with us, which makes traveling SO ENJOYABLE AND RESTFUL when we can't bring the crib along and he just wants to play all night! ;) Every kid has some challenges.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Sockmuppet posted:

^^^ That does give me a little hope. Our kid is just...not cuddly at all. There is no baseline of cuddle to go up from, nursing is literally the only time she will lie still in anyones arms. My husband and I have to resort to distracting her with toys to sneak snuggles while she's preoccupied. It's gotten to the point where when she was sick a couple of months back, I felt guilty for being happy when she was so exhausted and poorly that she rested her head on my shoulder when I carried her :3:

Thank you :) I only know that pumping for me used to bring nowhere near as much as baby did. If this was while she was nursing full-time, I wouldn't be worried about my supply, but since we're already winding down (she'll be 11 months in a week, holy crap!), I don't know if a three day pause is doable. For all I know she'll come back and be all "what, this is all you have to offer me, woman? screw this, I'm done."

But yeah. It's hard to be sensible about this, since there are so many feelings mixed in. I actually have a prescription for a nose spray with oxytosin left over from when I had clogged ducts very early on, when we get home I could try the spray and pumping to see how it goes. If it's effective, I'll feel a lot better about the trip :)

(Just to be clear - I've offered to come with if we just leave a few days later, so it's not like I'm holding him and baby hostage at home, he just really wants to go alone with baby.)

Whatever works for you guys. If you do try galactologues, make sure you know how long it usually takes them to work, so you're not disappointed in the meantime!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Long-timers in this thread might remember Qentiox, who posted about her little girl Daphne. We have a sad update about Daphne and the family in this thread in TGD. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662477

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Molly Bloom, I may have missed this, but is she teething? Have you tried Motrin before bedtime (since it's longer lasting)? That sounds like how my little guy reacted whenever he was cutting a tooth--he'd want to nurse nonstop, chomp on me, and he couldn't self-soothe because the pain was too bad.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah, your daycare should be able to deal just fine with comforting crying babies, or they wouldn't be in business :) Seconding a baby carrier for at home, though! I love ring slings for that age.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Have you introduced a (small, firmly-stuffed) lovey? 6 months is when my ped recommended that. We stuck him in my bra for a while first so he'd smell like me, had baby hold it while he nursed, that sort of thing, and tucked his arm around it when we put him in his crib. You definitely don't want him to be afraid of his crib :( That's really sad!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

Hah. I was just coming in to ask about sleep as well (and food!)

Colby (7 months) has a pretty good schedule, he normally gets to bed about 8-9:30, and wakes up at 7:30ish and wants food (waking me up) at 8:30 normally. He'll then have an hour nap between 10 and 11, then a big nap from 2:30-5. We change him in the middle of the night (12-1 when I go to bed). Normally he'd sleep through the change or go right back to bed. Recently he's been staying up for a few hours then going back to sleep. He really doesn't cry though, should we let him lay and keep the regular schedule?

Also on food: He's tearing up the stage 2 foods. He's finally eating them all like a good boy, and seems to want more. I normally give him a 4oz bottle afterwards (He eats 8 with no food). Is it okay to skip the bottle and start working up 2 things of food?

Usually at that age, you offer breast milk/formula first, then the solids after they're full of milk. Around 1ish, you swap the order :)

You could try an overnight diaper and see if he sleeps through. I really like the Huggies ones, but diaper brands are all baby-dependent.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Kosta never held his own bottle, so I wouldn't feel bad one way or another with that. It didn't affect him feeding himself or holding a cup later or anything!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I don't understand why people are getting all up in arms over the fact that they might be one of the 72% who don't know how to use the car seat correctly. Surely, that 72% refers only to utter fools! There's no way an educated person could make a mistake!

Car seats actually aren't easy to install and use, even when you read the entire manual. That's why the misuse rate is so terribly high. Some work better or worse for certain cars, some are nearly impossible to install correctly, but are still on the market, and sometimes facts change over time as we get new information (like the previously mentioned weight limit for LATCH--now manufacturers are pointing out that that should include the weight of the car seat, so you really have to know how much your car seat + older child weighs to know if LATCH is still safe).

No one in here was saying REARFACE YOUR TEENAGER or YOU'RE KILLING YOUR CHILD. People are pointing out that you can't assume that you're one of the elite few who magically didn't make a mistake. It's stupid to assume that one is in the minority, so it's just good advice to say, "Hey, get your install checked out by a certified tech, because that poo poo will ruin your life forever if you realize too late that you did it wrong."

(and yes, I've made mistakes. My husband and I both read all the manuals for our multiple carseats. One tipped over on us twice despite a supposedly safe install, after which we found out that it's incredibly hard to install correctly rearfacing. I also stuck my infant carseat on top of shopping carts because everyone else does it and it was second nature... even though the manual specifically mentions not doing it. Shockingly, I'd forgotten one of the 60 pages of information in between reading the manual and when the baby came!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

1. As she's getting older, she might not be getting "full" off the breast milk. If she'll take a bottle, try giving her a mix of pumped milk and (*GASP*) formula. It will be a little more dense and might fill her up and get her to sleep.

What.

Breastmilk is plenty filling for a 5 month old! Formula is great, but it doesn't make sense for her to skip a feed and pump + formula feed if they're happy with breastfeeding. Formula takes longer to digest, but it has nothing to do with age or breastmilk not being filling enough.

"Formula requires a baby’s digestive system to work overtime as baby tries to digest something not specific to the human body. Formula is harder to digest than human milk; thus formula-fed babies tend to go longer between feedings. While this may seem like a benefit, it’s probably not something we want for our babies’ bodies unless there are no other alternatives."

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-sleep/