Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Does anyone have any experience with hydrocele? Little dude is20 months old and I noticed his little sack was swollen on one side during a diaper change. He had an ultrasound and everything to make sure it wasn't torsion or a hernia so hydrocele was the diagnosis. The pediatric surgeon recommended surgery in case his intestines pop through the little hole. I'm very nervous about him going under anesthesia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm still swaddling my little guy at night, but he's almost 5 months old, and I figure we'll probably stop soon. I don't even know that he needs it anymore, but I mostly do it to keep his hands warm. How do you keep their hands warm at night (especially during the winter) once you stop swaddling?

Put socks on his hands.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Ha, I've never thought of that possibility. Got to love living in an area with no real winter.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Don't know how nice you want to get but the 4 year old would love you forever if you got him a Power Wheel. My friends 4 year old son is also into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Vtech Dinosaurs. I know nothing about what little girls would like.

Edit: books and learning stuff is cool and all but get these kids some toys.

Edit 2: he might like Jake and the Neverland Pirates. Apparently all the boys are eating that up.

screech on the beach fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 20, 2012

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
We got one of those record-able books a while back. We were chilling out in the bedroom folding some laundry and heard a talking voice come over the monitor, my wife screamed and I jumped in the air a few feet. It turns out the book got left open and it decided to play the page. We make sure that book is closed every night now.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition.

When she's about 4 years old.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Gounads posted:

Any recommendations on T.V. shows that won't drive the parents crazy for ~1 year old. Bonus points for show that have some educational content. Conversely, recommendations on what to avoid?

So far, we've been mainly sticking to PBS. Seasame street, Pocoyo, Peep & the Big Wide World have been decent so far.

Isn't 1 a little young for TV? You might want to check and see if you have Baby First channel. It's really good.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Speaking of Daycares, my wife dropped a bomb on me last night. She wants to buy the center where she works. It's a huge step, but she's been Director there for 5 years and working there 12 years total. There are close to 150 kids ranging from 8 weeks to 13 years with the after school program. I have full confidence in her but it is still nerve wracking.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but my son will be 4 in March, he goes to sleep fine in his bed but then wakes up and moves to our bed every night. The issue is my wife and I are heavy sleepers and don't even notice when comes and crawls in. We are hoping he might grow out of it or something.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Bath chat. My son is almost 4 and loves to take showers, he was hanging out in there playing for a minute and I stepped away to grab his towel. When I got back and peeked through the curtain he was raising a cup from his groin area and drank it. It was straight piss. That was a fun conversation and I told him my first white lie that it would turn into vinegar in his stomach and make him very sick.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Anyone have any experience transitioning from a Montessori school to a regular school? My son will start kindergarten this year in Montessori since it's the only option other than one of the worst elementary schools in the state and a southern baptist private school. We'll be moving in 2017 so 1st grade won't be an issue, we just don't want him to be behind in a more structured setting.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Could anyone with RTI experience in schools send me a pm or something. I don't really have anyone I can talk to impartially. My kid is having some pretty bad times adjusting to kindergarten. Namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

Update on my baby that won't nap: about a week ago he began fussing a lot more at feedings. We had no idea if they were related but it made 16 hours of our day completely miserable so we went to the doctors

She diagnosed him immediately with reflux. We got meds and she said we need to elevate his mattress. He never spits up, but apparently there's a thing called "silent reflux" where they have all the rest of the symptoms with the classic coughing up milk

anyway. we'll see if it works

Get one of these. It’s the only thing my son with reflux will sleep/nap in. It’s a miracle for us.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...pA1L&ref=plSrch