Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I don’t know if this is the place for newborn chat but my 2 month old is having a hell of a time napping for longer than 30 minutes. I know that means she can’t connect sleep cycles but how much of this is due to her age vs something that needs to be resolved now?

Daytime is hell right now because of the never ending cycle of sleep eat play and rock back to sleep. It wouldn’t be so bad if she could actually nap for a decent amount of time. We’re trying to practice putting her down drowsy but awake and I’m convinced it’s a made up concept at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Thank you, this is all very reassuring to hear. Currently wearing baby while eating dinner right now and if we’re in survival mode then so be it. At least I can mentally prepare for it rather than thinking we hosed up or that I just haven’t googled hard enough for the right solution.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Arkanomen posted:

Newborns give you the brain damage nessecary to forget what hell 2 hours sleep intervals were so you only remember the good times. Genetic adaptation, I refuse to belive otherwise.

For real though, parenting sucks, being a parent is love.

It’s shocking to me how many parents I talk to gloss over or outright forget the newborn stage. I can’t imagine not having ptsd for the rest of my life from this poo poo.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

And then eventually they turn into teenagers.

You mean they want nothing to do with me but can feed and sleep themselves? Sign me the gently caress up

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Boy this sure is getting me excited to eventually sleep train our 12 week old who needs to be rocked to sleep in a very specific way and only wants to sleep while being held day or night. She cosleeps but it honestly doesn’t matter because as soon as she’s on her back the screaming begins regardless of how close mom or dad are. I blame the loving reflux, which Zantac is finally helping her get over. Now at least we can trick her into sleeping by herself for 10 mins if we manage to time the deep sleep window correctly and put her down then.

Hopefully sleep training works because we’re doing it as soon as the pediatrician gives the green light.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

diapermeat posted:

I don't think you can sleep train a 12 week old.. as far as I know the earliest is 4 months old, and as we found out/felt, it was too early for us. She just didn't have the skills to cope and had a huge startle reflex still. 12 weeks is still 'do whatever works'

Also, I'm pretty sure there is a huge health alert out for Zantac https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-and-press-announcements-ndma-zantac-ranitidine

Thanks for the heads up, our pediatrician mentioned the Zantac recalls before prescribing and said it didn’t apply to the liquid version we’d be giving the baby.

And yeah we’re definitely not training at this age, I’m assuming she will be good to go at 16 weeks / 4 months but we aren’t doing anything without the pediatricians blessing. It’s weird to think about a baby without a startle reflex, pretty excited about the next couple months of development.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Oh my god, we’ve been sleep training our 4.5 month old who only slept on our chests and she had 3 straight nights where she fell asleep independently and slept through. Now she’s learned to roll from stomach to back but can’t go back to her stomach so she just doesn’t sleep now. She refuses to sleep on her back so she just keeps trying to roll over or sleep on her side but falls to her back and wakes herself up constantly. gently caress my life

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Nutramigen is absolutely disgusting. Our baby has a milk protein allergy and loving hated it. You can smell that poo poo a mile away. I think you’re supposed to add a little at a time to their normal food so they gradually get used to it. My wife decided to go vegan instead.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Try the Ferber method for sleep training. That ten days will be the worst in your life but at the end of it you will have a little one that sleeps through the night.

We did this and now our 5 month old sleeps independently and completely through the night without feeds which is a loving miracle. Except now because we aren’t allowed to help her back to sleep her naps are complete rear end and maybe 10% of them are longer than 30 minutes. And because she’s sleeping so little during the day, we have to put her to bed early at night, which causes 5:30am waking, and then another day of garbage naps.

I read everywhere that 6 months is when nap magic happens so hopefully in a few weeks it’ll sort itself out. Honestly it feels like we traded one set of problems for a slightly better set and personally I’d rather wake up 1-2 times at night if it meant longer daytime naps.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Holy poo poo it happened. Baby woke up from a nap after 40 minutes, we left her in the crib to whine for another 25, she put herself back to sleep and has been asleep for the last 40+ minutes :aaaaa:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

priznat posted:

Hey all, glad I found this thread, just wanted to say anyone going nuts with a baby is that it sucks so much and you get more tired than you ever have before in your life and you just want to break down and cry but after the baby stage you will look back and say holy poo poo that is all a blur and it went by so quick looking back. I think this is an evolutionary trick our brains play because otherwise we would never have more than one.

I read somewhere, maybe in this thread, that it’s a result of sleep deprivation loving up our memories. It’s totally true too because my daughter is almost 6 months now and I’m wondering where the hell the time went. For the first 3 months each day was the new longest day in my life. I wrote some journal entries to document my feelings and I’m glad I did because if I relied on my memories I would have been yet another parent glossing over the absolute hell that is a colicky newborn. Whatever the gently caress colic means, gently caress that vague rear end term and gently caress all the time I spent googling colic.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Tell me what I need to know about sleep training a 5 month old. Is he too young to expect a routine schedule of naps and sleep time? He is wildly inconsistent with how long he naps and I don't know if I'm supposed to leave him in the crib crying when he wakes up "early" or how I'm supposed to calm him at night without feeding him... argh.

Just stay patient because naps are garbage at this age and it was impossible to be on any sort of schedule for us. We sleep trained right around the 5 month mark and she started sleeping 10-11 hours a night within a few days but during the day it was 4 30 minute naps for about 3 weeks before she finally started having longer naps about 10% of the time. Then at 6 months something clicked and now she is good for at least one 1-2 hr long nap a day, occasionally two.

At 5 months we randomly tried letting her cry it out for 15-20 minutes after she woke up 30 minutes into a nap and it usually didn’t work but sometimes she was able to get herself back to sleep for another hour. Now I know a lot more about managing naps and at 6.5 months the only time we let her cry it out is if we know she needs more sleep which typically means she hasn’t had a long day nap yet, less than 10 hours of night sleep, and wakes up crying 30 minutes into the current nap.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

At 5 months they also start to learn how to roll so that's another thing to watch out for at this age. Our daughter was doing well with independent sleep after about a week of sleep training and then learned new tricks and constantly rolled herself into positions she didn't like to sleep in but wasn't skilled enough to get out of. Luckily she resolved it within a few days but those were some fun times. 5 months is kind of a rough age to sleep train because they are learning lots of new skills and not quite developmentally ready to take consistent long naps.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Boy 8 months is rough on sleep huh. Our normally excellent sleeper is now waking up multiple times a night and having lovely inconsistent naps again. Feels like she’s in the middle of learning like 7 different skills at once and also teething. She also likes to scream at the top of her lungs now which is cool.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Any way to figure out for sure without visiting a doctor if your kid is teething? Mine is almost 4 months old now and he's been super fussy, drooling all over, sucking his hand constantly
and rubbing at his face for the last 3 or 4 days.

Internet says those are teething symptoms, but he's younger than it's expected?

Our daughter is a week away from 9 months and I swear she’s been teething since 4 months. I have no idea when and how these things are supposed to come in.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

From ages 4 to 28 months I blame everything on teething, then I blame everything on terrible two's. But who the hell really knows.

Don’t forget 0-4 is colic

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

"Prove me wrong" is not a civil way to approach this, so don't be surprised when you get heated disagreement. Especially when you come to the table with "well some medical professionals disagree" as your strongest argument.

How about: Promoting independent sleep in children leads to better sleep for them and better sleep for the parents, which leads to more attentive parenting and better outcomes for the child in the short and long run. Prove me wrong.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Any tips on getting a 9 month old to drink that nasty rear end hydrolyzed formula if they have cows milk protein allergy? Even after waking up and hungry, she takes a sip and makes the most disgusted face before starting to yell at me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Alterian posted:

Mine just had to get used to it. Its so nasty and smelly.

Do they just not eat while getting used to it?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

what brand are you using? Ours had a similar allergy and we went through a couple until we found: https://organicstart.com/hipp/ha/stage-1/product

it doesn't have the same taste and helped us supplement when he started weening

A couple kinds of enfamil. I’ve heard good things about hipp from others too so I might give this one a shot.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Not only did our newborn cosleep, at the 4 month regression she literally needed to sleep on our chests to get any sleep at night. If she slept next to us she’d be up every hour. By 6 months after some sleep training she was able to sleep 11-12 straight hours in her own crib. It’ll get better, but survival mode in the first couple months makes you do some sketchy poo poo in order to get any sleep.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My god, hipp ha formula is a miracle. 86% hydrolyzed and it actually tastes normal. It’s amazing that nutramigen and alimentum are the only game in town when it comes to hypoallergenic formulas in the US.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Our 10 month old babbles to herself, sits up, claps, and crawls all over the crib before going to sleep. I think of it as her own personal wind down routine and it’s really cute.

On the topic of food, she loved purées for a few months but now she is screaming at the top of her lungs during every meal, starting as soon as we start strapping her into the high chair. I’m not really sure what to do here. I suspect at this age she’s either bored of that texture now or hates being strapped into the high chair and wants to assert her freedom. She hasn’t cut any teeth yet so I don’t know what some alternatives to purées are besides other soft mushy stuff like rice and peas and the like. She’s still drinking her milk so not too worried about nutrition but it would be nice to have her eat solids again without it being a huge battle.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Does it count as sleeping through the night if your baby wakes up, squirms and whines for an hour, and puts themselves back to sleep without you waking up? I think it does

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

We’re gonna “gain” an hour in a few days, not looking forward to baby waking up an hour earlier than normal. Any way I can make this adjustment as smooth as possible?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

we did not have a toe or sock eating phase, wtf is this a common thing

“Does your child suck their toes” (paraphrased) was part of the motor skills assessment at our new pediatrician

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

We put our daughter to bed 30 minutes later than usual last night and she slept 12 straight hours and woke up at “6:45” which is 45 minutes earlier than the usual clock. Daylight savings was a great success. 12 hours straight itself is extremely rare nowadays so wins all around.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I wake up at 5am every day to get some alone time. It’s not healthy to lose this much sleep but I will go literally insane if I don’t.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Personally I sought this thread out when I was loving miserable and needed sleep advice and stories of others having similar issues with their kids. This thread may be negative or whatever but it was and continues to be extremely helpful and we are without a doubt going to try for a second kid despite the fact that I read this thread.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

space uncle posted:

I don’t know what happened but my two month old baby hates it when I feed him now. Not sure if it’s nipple confusion or preferring breast milk over formula or what but I feel like a massive failure. Just handed him off to Mom after he had a complete meltdown over an ounce of formula and it sounds like she got him to drink it no problem. What the gently caress.

Edit: never mind she just gave up on feeding him. I think he wasn’t that hungry and I was forcing too much on him. Need to adjust to longer gaps between feeding.

Is this formula from a bottle? Our daughter hated feeding at around 2 months and would cry bloody murder and it turned out to be a cows milk protein allergy. The other issue could be the nipple size. She would bat at the bottle and that went away when we increased the size by 1. They might be working too hard to drink.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Baby looks like she is ready to transition to 1 nap and I’m devastated. How the gently caress are we going to get anything done now?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Alterian posted:

Wake up at 4:30 in the morning. :cool:

:smith:

I already wake up at 5am ughhhh

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

As a new parent I’m now frequently reminded of my own parents and their constant “you have no idea what we sacrificed for you” guilt tripping. I really empathize but at the same time I refuse to be the same shithead to my own kid when they get older. It’s hard not to feel bitter though. The mental stress and anxiety really is something else.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I get up 2 hours before wife and kid to do whatever the gently caress I want to do whether it's video games or work or just to straight up waste time browsing random poo poo. It's the best part of the day and trading off 2 hours of sleep is absolutely worth it to keep my sanity.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Have a 8-10 hour drive coming up with a 14 month old that hates car seats. Can’t wait! I’m hoping a bunch of new and otherwise forbidden snacks will be able to carry us through most of the trip.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Babies skipping naps should be illegal

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

14 months old kinda sucks, so many transitions going on at once. Ours can’t walk yet, can’t talk yet, is transitioning from 2 to 1 nap among a host of other things.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

truavatar posted:

I had a meltdown this morning. My girl just turned a year a few weeks ago and my wife and I are both working from home. Kiddo has never been a very good napper, but she's always been a pretty good nightime sleeper - down at 7, usually up at 4 for a feed, then down until 6:30 or so... Some kind of regression happening right now though. Naps are down to 35 minutes, like clockwork. She's waking up for her nighttime feed and then getting back up at like 5, before I've even fallen back asleep. I'm losing it. Getting nothing done at work, awake at 4 almost every day for weeks. Someone reassure me that I will survive this.

I can’t speak to the naps but we stopped the night feeds at around 7-8 months and let our daughter cry however long she needed to before she put herself back to sleep. Sometimes it took an hour but she eventually figured it out. I never took her out of bed until the proper awake time, somewhere around 6-7am.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

sullat posted:

Good thing daylight savings time is coming so they will be waking up at 7 again without any effort on your part.

Just wait till the other shoe drops. gently caress daylight savings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

We just took the kid for her first optometrist visit and yeah that was 10x worse than getting shots. I feel bad for the poor doctor trying to get a reading.