Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone have an answer for a poop question? 6 week old has some really foamy and runny yellow poops. It's been going on for a week or so, he only poops about once a day and it's usually like that.

We called the doc and they said not to worry unless there were more signs (more frequent, blood/color). Everything I've found online relates to breastfed babies but ours is exclusively formula fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for the answers everyone, I knew I could turn to goons for questions about poop.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The whole time leading up to baby, we watched all kinds of YouTube videos about everything baby. Over time, I was led to believe baby farts were an uncommon and adorable thing.

My child farts us awake in the middle of the night, to say nothing of their frequency during the day.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Wife and I woke up in the middle of the night to a sudden but brief banshee shriek that scared the poo poo out of us. The only reason we know it happened is we both woke up hearing the same thing.

He's fine though, didn't make a peep after that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

7 weeks old, and he gets really congested at night. We've got all kinds of air filtration set up in our bedroom, but he's still so stuffy and it's making his night time feedings difficult.

We've tried saline before bed but we don't really know what's causing it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

We have a 2mo old who is 2 feet long, so it's a hunt for all the 0-3m clothes that are longer, not wider. I'm afraid we'll have to put him in baggy clothes until he stops growing like a weed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Any theories on our 10 week old suddenly hating baths for the first time? It was a really enjoyable experience for everyone until this week. Twice now we get him in the tub (temp around 100 as always) and start our routine.

But a couple minutes in he loses his God drat mind and screams like I've never heard him. We wrapped it up quick and he's fine now getting dried off and cuddled, but drat it's shocking us how much of a turn he's done.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Anyone else have a solution for diaper leaks on the waist? Every couple mornings, we wake up to a wet baby. It looks like it's coming up the side along the hip, and getting the back of his onesie wet in the same spot every time.

We assume it's from when he pees and follows it up with leg lifts but is it a sign to up the diaper size? He's in 1's but only weighs about 12 lbs.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah we usually have that taken care of. I wonder if all his squirming moves it around.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Man, overnight growth spurt and suddenly my little dude is too big for size 1's. I thought there'd be more time!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

3mo is a natural houdini when it comes to swaddling. He gets his arms out so easily, we want to start trying one arm free at night. He's still using a snoo, and last night went alright (he woke up a bit early). If we're thinking he's waking up too much with the arm out, should we just keep going with it or hold back another month?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

How concerning is it to find a tiny armpit hair on my 4 mo old? Is he pubert from Addams family values?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I tried to pick it off him and it didn't feel like it wanted to go willingly. I'll try again later but it certainly appeared to be embedded.

Edit: Definitely attached to him, right in the pit crease.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 11, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I do have a short bushy beard so it could be that. I'll give it a good plucking later tonight and see what we're looking at.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

4 month Dr visit went great! We got the all clear to start trying foods, and immediately saw all the recent articles about arsenic and metals in baby foods. Has anyone here found a good work around or tried anything else that worked? We're pretty paranoid about rice foods specifically.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Parents with a hidden drinking problem, I imagine?

Or just from Wisconsin.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Do we need to worry much about daylight savings messing with a sleep schedule? Or will he just adjust after a couple days?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Daylight savings time has never bothered ours, every year i am shocked at how well he rolls with it. Hope i didn't just jinx us, but ymmv

We might not be the best sample group because our whole family is up by 5:30am every day (except for baby who sleeps until 7) but :shrug:

Man, I'm such an early riser but I just can't do it yet. I used to get up at 5 or 530 and get poo poo done in the morning (and have a little me time for shows and games) but haven't been able to go back to that yet with a 4 month old. I even tried setting my alarm last week but just didn't have the will to get up.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Horror, sheer horror. Little dude has been constantly fussing overnight the past week or so (4mo sleep regression I think) and waking up early, so of course he woke up even earlier today. Thankfully we kept him pretty busy until almost his usual morning food time. And put him down for a nap after 8am,so fingers crossed we can right this ship!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

My son is mostly focused on developing an encyclopedic knowledge of vehicle names from Kids Picture Show videos. Is worth it to hear him talk about Hobbercrabs (hovercrafts) though.

Show him transformers to up the difficulty level. Robot names AND vehicle names.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

We are getting hit with all sorts of stuff this week. Daylight savings has completely messed up his sleep pattern, and he's now waking up at around 530 with no hope of getting him back to sleep (which fucks the days schedule). We think he's teething in earnest now too, he was wide awake crying for an hour last night around midnight.

I've now put him in his crib to see what happens because we're slowly starting to transition him and I've got nothing left to lose at the moment. Though I suppose there's always more sleep to be lost.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

And a tooth fairy doesn't?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Another 545a wakeup. His bedtime was around 7p or 650,should we try getting him to sleep a little later at night? Or does it not work that way?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Joey Steel posted:

Never figured it out with my kiddo. Bed at 5:00 p.m.? Wake up at 4:30-5 a.m. Bed at 7:00? Wake up at 4:30-5:00 a.m.

Just doesn't matter when he drops off, he wakes up in that. exact. zone. every time. Thank god I'm OK as a morning person. My wife is... often not.

This is our situation too, I'm usually fine in the morning but the past few weeks have been a bear for sleep regression and time change, so no one is sleeping.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Five months already, his sleep was getting a bit better but the vaccines messed it up again for a couple days. We've been renting a snoo and I think he's starting to get annoyed by it so we're going to start the transition process this weekend. He's already napping in his crib so we're hoping it won't be as nightmarish as it is in our imagination.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hot drat, kid slept so well last night without any motion. Woke up once to eat and that was it, we are gonna keep it up this weekend but we'll probably move him to the crib after Thanksgiving.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

After midnight and we've been up with a screaming kid for a couple hours so far. I really hate these nights where the problem is just "unhappy and screaming" and the answer is "one or all of a dozen things". He passed a ton of gas and pooped before bed, that seemed to settled him initially. Now he's back at it again and we don't know if it's still his stomach or something else.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

First night in his own bed. We were really worried but it's going well so far. Maybe it's the beers talking but I've got an optimistic feeling about tonight!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Any stay home parents with advice to keep me from going nutty? It's been about two months since I started solo when my wife went back to work, and I think I'm going a little silly only talking to a 6 month old.

Although he does laugh at my jokes.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I live in the Midwest so the weather is a little bit of an issue but thanks to global warming we've got some days in the 50s next week!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

7 month old appears ready to drop his 3rd nap of the day. We are currently at 3 naps, every 2ish hours, for a total of (hopefully) 3 to 3.5 hours a day.

What kind of nap totals should we be looking for with only two naps in our future?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh God no, I love my free time during the day. Keep napping strong, my little dude.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thank you everyone for the nap examples! This helps us a lot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Anyone else have a diaper solution for tall babies? 7.5 months, probably around 18 lbs and 30 inches long. He's in size 3 but he's been having a lot of blow outs lately. We think it's a combination of not being able to get a tight waist fit (he's skinny) and the back not going up high enough.

I did see one place suggesting pampers pure, but we use swaddlers currently and I can't imagine there being a huge difference between the two.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Ugh, little guy pooped overnight for the first time in ages, so now we've got major rash situation today. It's gotten to his scrotum and his penis is a bit red too, aside from normal treatment is there anything else to try? We're considering urgent care tonight if it isn't looking better.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

What's a good solid food to start finger foods? We've been doing just puree stuff and a little more solid (kale and mushed veg) but we want to try peas and actual finger stuff for him to learn how to smush with his mouth.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Anyone have good tips for getting rid of bottles? Our 12mo switched to whole milk no problem, but will absolutely refuse the milk in anything but a bottle. Water is fine in a normal cup or a cup with a straw, but that's it. Even if we hide the milk in a covered cup, the second he drinks it and realizes our trick, he just spits it out.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Question about what's more important about napping with everyone. My 16mo is down to one nap, is it more important for him to take his nap around the same specific time or for him to be awake for a certain amount of time before napping?

He basically wakes up anywhere between 6 and 7 these days, and I seem to have more success with a specific nap time but it's hard to tell what's factoring into this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well I tried to give my 16 month old milk for the first time in months (staunchly refused it after switching off bottles) and he actually had a little! We've been supplementing all kinds of dairy stuff in absence so it's nice to see he's showing interest again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah my 16mo has recently settled into a good night time routine, now I have to start pushing it back little by little to try and adjust for the upcoming weekend change.

There was some legislation in the US that was going to finally get rid of daylight savings but after it was introduced it looks like no one took it up.