Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sipher posted:

4.5 month old pooped today, on day 6 of no poop

Poop math

Kid did not poop for 4.3% of their life up until this point

If that had happened to a 30 year old person, proportionally, they would have not pooped for 478 days, or 1.31 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

My 2 yearold seems to have a habit of fake-sneezing at other kids she is mildly annoyed at which is kind of mortifying in these challenging times :eek:

:golfclap:

Are you gonna buy them an account next

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Preferred baby camera(s)? Looks like some people have been using nest cameras, others are saying nanit

I'm guessing you want one dedicatedthat has a good view of the crib, and possibly one or two others that are more mobile to move around the house or take to grandma's or whatever

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll look at this eufy thing. We have one of their vacuums and a couple of smart home smart plugs and everything seems to work good. I think they're a sub brand of Anker which is a major plus

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this is outdated or whatever but I always used d-link networked cameras instead of actual baby monitors because they were a lot less expensive and worked the same.

Yeah I have a Synology NAS, which I guess has camera control stuff, how are you connecting to them? Just the base D-Link app?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a good book on parenting,

Except, it's like, the cynic's guide to parenting?

I grew up in a neighborhood where all the parents read books like, "how to make sure your daughter is the captain of the cheerleading squad" etc. A good friend of mines little sister actually was. I ended up moving out of the hellhole that is the perfect suburban neighborhood for the densest grimiest city I could afford. I definitely do not have unresolved issues.

Mostly overwhelmed with the "omg you and your baby are PERFECT in EVERY WAY bliss bliss bliss" wave of fake love bs, looking for actual practical advice

Is there like a, "how to simultaneously keep your daughter from dating a motorcycle driving guy and prevent her from becoming an English major at an overpriced liberal arts school in the northeast and becoming a career Starbucks barista" book

I'm still learning how to keep my parenting opinions to myself

ha;lp

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

If this is the kind of content you're looking for, sorry to break it to you, but your daughter is a person and will make decisions regardless of what you do. Hell she might do these things BECAUSE you don't want her to.

Oh, I have pets and they all have their own independent personalities and other than instances where "I'm physically bigger than you, I'm moving you out of the bedroom" they have their own independent will as well. Pets can and will poo poo on the floor to protest certain changes in their environment. I fully expect my children to extend upon that theme of strong free will in new and interesting ways

One of my friends growing up was acutely aware of what books her parents read to try turn her into a popular cheerleader and then read them herself, and attempted to circumvent any and all parenting strategies therein from about age 9 through 27

Just looking for something with a slightly more real view of reality

BadSamaritan posted:

For babies/young toddlers, I really liked Cribsheet. The author was pretty practical, with a lot of focus on risk, but in the context of ‘what other potentially riskier things would you be doing if you don’t do this thing’, rather than ‘WOW so you’re considering cutting a corner rather than entirely follow a recommendation, INTERESTING.’ It’s lighthearted and not particularly sappy, but tops out around potty training age.

That said, I know nothing about stuff for older kids and am similarly grossed out by the tone of most pregnancy and parenting books.

Thanks I'll check that out

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

At what point are they going to build cars where all the passenger seats face backwards

I'm a little surprised that minivans don't come with the option to mount the rear bench in the middle, backwards, and the captains chairs in the rear, also backwards. Little fuckers are probably a lot more bearable on long car rides when they're in the back of the van screaming into a wall rather than your ear

Model S offered third row rear facing seating for short kids up to...5'4"? But I think that's since been discontinued? We were looking at the Model S used as a kid carrier but you can't retrofit jump seats, it has to be ordered from the factory

This article has some decent photos of it in use

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/09/17/tesla-model-s-2020-plaid-rear-facing-seats-elon-musk/amp/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pregnant wife is getting increasingly panicky about the house being ready for the baby. Any tips? We are about 6 months along, nursery is already decked out with crib, dresser, decorations etc

We have a couple other big ticket items arriving in the next couple of weeks, new couch, new washer dryer, getting a bigger car, already ordered, just waiting on delivery etc

Tried going over each of the items on the list and walking though the facts that we had already done most of the work for each thing, i.e. ordering it, etc

Non hormonal me is feeling pretty good about everything, we are 3 months out from delivery, most everything is prepped or ordered to deliver in the next 6 weeks depsite covid delays etc. Sister in law is organizing the baby shower and she's quite good at that kind of thing.

There's no diapers or formula in the house yet (only just hit the 6 month mark) but I'd say we're 75-85% prepped, with 90 days to go, am I being unreasonable? Seems really easy to pin this in pregnancy hormones on my part

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Make sure you have sufficient bedding, change table covers and clothes, for when the baby shits all over everything six times a day. I was hand washing change table covers a lot for the first kid. That phase doesn't last forever but I still think it's worth preparing for.

Yeah we ordered one of these LG sidekick washers to stick under our regular washer specifically for washing baby poo poo items

https://www.reviewed.com/laundry/features/lgs-sidekick-is-a-washer-under-your-washer

Also for food, the elevator in our building goes down to the ground floor, which literally opens up into a major chain grocery store. About two months into moving here I stopped calling it "the grocery store" and now we just call it "downstairs". Last week we were making tacos and mid-cooking I ran downstairs to buy more tortillas and was back up in 3 minutes. Not sure how that will work with the baby, as the dairy asile is probably outside of baby monitor range. But at least we don't need to get in the car to buy stuff. Major downside is that our grocery store closes at 10pm now, due to covid

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I broke my arm (twice, in one summer) in fifth grade, I was surprised at the number of activities I wasn't allowed to participate in. Apparently the fiberglass cast is basically a club and a huge insurance risk. So get used to hearing that. Might be different for a leg cast.

Is it a full break, or a "green tree fracture"?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We would probably be buying a 5 series wagon (used) if they had still sold them here in the US in the last 15 years

BMW makes a 3 series wagon, but it's so narrow

Probably going to end up with a 10 year old RX 350 which is basically a station wagon with a 4" lift kit and reasonable towing capacity

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wonder if nap time is when the daycare workers catch up with back office stuff, cleaning etc. Maybe only one person is needed to attend to sleeping kids during nap time, instead of two or three

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not sure if this helps but my 2yo and 4yo love sharing a room, which became necessary with our third newborn. Although there were initially some nights of resistance/regret on their part.

Most of my mom's side of the family, from grandparents to current cousins, all grew up 2 or three to a room, I dunno about the last 15 years but in the past it's been very common, and probably still doable today

That said yeah with family planning, if right now is not the right time... Then that is fine. It's not at all uncommon to take firm steps for family planning like you're suggesting. There's no wrong answer here.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm slightly terrified about all this scheduling stuff. I was reading some of these posts out loud to my wife and her comments were along the lines of, "well we can't plan more than a week in advance, so I wouldn't plan on keeping a regular schedule with the baby" which I don't disagree with

We have pets and while I've been pretty strict about their feeding habits and what rooms they can go into etc for a decade before I met my wife, they've always been very obedient about rules etc, but in four years already trained my wife to give them treats whenever she comes out of the bathroom and making her let them in to the bedroom etc

I can't even imagine what a child capable of full conscious thought is going to be capable of

Contrast to her work where she's a pretty high level manager in charge of lots of people. Kind of weird how there's such a divide between work and family

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hi_Bears posted:

You have to teach them to hold it down (bending forward helps too). Even after my son was potty trained it took a long time for him to find the proper positioning. Sometimes he would point down but not enough and it would spray out between the seat and bowl. There was so much pee on walls and floors :sigh:

I always thought people in public bathrooms were slobs, but now I know they just had bad parents

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was alarmed at how quickly my nephew would stop and turn to look at any glowing tv, including one across the room, even at 6 months. By like 18 months he didn't know how to work the remote, but knew enough that the remote controlled the glowing screen, and would find it and hand it to you

I grew up playing doom, quake, etc; i.e. "murder simulators" haven't murdered anybody (yet)

Friend recently gave their 8 year old a smart phone, 10 years ago parents were hesitating to give their 16 year old kids smart phones

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

life is killing me posted:

Toddler at 7:30pm: time to actually go to sleep? Oh okay I understand

Toddler at 8:15pm: ok ok ok for real fine ok? FFS dad *goes to sleep*

Toddler at 3:50am (10 min ago): *cries*

Toddler at 3:52am: OUT OF NOWHERE, IT IS TIME TO GET UP AND START PLAYING AND TURN ON MY LAMP AND MAKE A BUNCH OF NOISE EVEN THOUGH I WENT TO SLEEP LATE AND IT IS AN UNGODLY HOUR

Toddler at 4:04am: no you’re crazy.

Toddler at 4:05am: what’s that? Be still and go to sleep? What about the opposite for no loving reason whatsoever, I know you enjoy sleep but I hate it and I hate you and do not want you to enjoy anything good which is why I’m doing this poo poo for the third time this week

Me at 4:05am: gently caress you for this

So yeah at least with a newborn it was go back to loving sleep after a bit of Mom’s boob. With a toddler it’s like, get up around 4am and sit in there with them for like at least 30-45 minutes. Sometimes they don’t even go back to sleep and honestly I don’t know wtf, he ain’t hurt or growing or anything

So I'm still 2 months out from the kid arriving but what happens if like... you just leave the kid in their room and playing with poo poo? I'm not judging I'm just trying to understand if they're gonna try and chew through an electrical cable or what it is that requires the parent to be up while the kid is awake. I'm sure all the current toddler owners are just nodding their heads, filling in the blanks here but I haven't dealt with toddlers in any significant capacity so I'm just visualizing the kid sitting on the floor quietly playing with trucks or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

My son has learned a new very interesting behavior. He won't let us trim his nails when he's awake, he screams and fusses like crazy, so we've just been doing it while he is asleep.

Well, Friday he woke up to us trimming his nails for the first time and then again yesterday when we tried to finish the job and was very upset about it.

Today every time he was asleep and someone walked into the room he hid his hands under his head *without waking up or otherwise stirring* :wtc:

God, that would be loving traumatic as poo poo. Sleep is no longer safe; you never know if you're gonna wake up during the alien autopsy every time you go to sleep :psyduck:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marchantia posted:

Well, yes and no.

Atlantic Article Link

This is potentially behind a paywall so I'll quote the relevant text. SUID stands for sudden unexplained infant death.

:words:

I am not a parent (yet) but I also read this article along with a couple other supporting documents, my take-away from all this (pure speculation) was that SIDS happens disproportionately in economically disadvantaged communities.

Further pure speculation, I can certainly see a situation where father/mother's boyfriend has baby joey on the couch, he is 19, has been playing madden 2021 for 16 hours straight smoking some bowls while mom is out waiting tables at Applebee's on a double shift, knows she is coming home soon so gets started on that handle of vodka in the freezer from last weekend's party, and passes out on the couch/baby. Mom decides to stay late to help cleanup from a double 21st birthday party at applebees and comes home 3 hours late to find "dad" asleep on baby Joey. To avoid too much grief/legal problems this gets glossed over as SIDS and swept under the rug, family gets plausible deniability, dad can continue working at the 7-11 down the street without a manslaughter charge, mom can keep waiting tables to get through community college.

Further further pure speculation, if you are over 25 and even have a passing knowledge of what SIDS is, you're likely not in the target group affected by SIDS.

But I will also agree that technically it is less likely to SIDS an infant if they are not near things that can suffocate them, like sleeping their own crib, regardless of your socioeconomic status.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 18, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

remigious posted:

Is it worth buying a bassinet if it will only be used for 2 months? I’m also considering a Finnish baby box instead. It seems weird to think about sticking a baby in a glorified cardboard box though.

We inherited a $$$ "Snoo" bassinet from my sister in law, which previously was on loan to my brother in law's best friend, and there's another family lined up behind us to use it, definitely worth asking around to see if there's something second hand you can use.

Finish baby box is a good option, it has nice wallpaper on the inside so it's not "just" a cardboard box.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alterian posted:

Didn't realize being poor means you are an irresponsible piece of poo poo that neglects babies.

I'm not interested in making absolute statements, and did my best not to make any, but thanks for insinuating as much

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About age 20 I realized I was insanely allergic to mountain cedar/juniper, which in Texas pollinates end of January

Anyways, loratadine is the active ingredient in claratin, and is the generic form, and it's a modern antihistamine, and it costs about $10 for 100 doses, and it instantly shuts down your allergies in about 30 minutes. It's really impressive stuff

If your kid is actually sick with a bacterial/viral thing, and not strictly allergies, it's gonna do jack poo poo to make them feel better

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

there are pediatricians who recommend [benadryl]

Not trying to be snarky, honestly curious, do they recommend it as a kid-safe off the shelf sedative, or is there another reason, maybe as a general anti inflammatory or something, with the side effect of knocking out your kid

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reading around a little, I think the main reason [benadryl] is recommended for allergies

Pure speculation, but I suspect another reason why benadryl is still sold at all is that it's a household name, it's what your mom gave you, what your mom (their grandma) is going to recommend for them because it's what they always have had access to and generic benadryl has been around for over 50 years, it's what people reach for when they think "allergy medicine". It's hard to dislodge that kind of market leader

Generic claratin only came on the market in 2002, generic zyrtec in.... 2008 I think. Grandma only knows those as prescription drugs, and the average lay person thinks most prescription drugs have dangerous side effects. Grandma's not going to suggest you get little billy or Laura prescription drugs when "safe" benadryl is available at every gas station in the country

TL;DR I loving love loratadine, it has no side effects for me, and benadryl puts me to loving sleep almost immediately, gently caress benadryl

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marchantia posted:

I guess I've never thought about it, but does claritin or similar drugs help with skin reactions to things, either like food allergies or poison ivy?

I'm not a doctor but I think most allergic reactions are caused by the release of chemical signal histamine.

I know if I scratch my cat a lot and then rub my face I get itchy, and if I mow my parents lawn I'll get a rash, and loratadine basically neutralizes the allergic reaction within 25-30 minutes

Pretty sure food allergies release histamine as well, but I could be wrong, I don't have much experience with food allergies, but almost certainly, yes, to your question

Poison ivy is actually a toxin designed to disrupt biological processes, an antihistamine would reduce redness etc nearby, but it's not an antidote to the toxin found on the plant

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a "how to deal with being the husband during delivery" write up

I imagine most of it involves providing moral support + approving whatever weird stuff comes up during the delivery

That said, 99.995% of all pregnancy/childbirth literature is written for the benefit of the mother. I guess technically I don't even need to be in the room but some sort of male oriented primer would be nice to browse through. I can't even imagine what to begin searching for

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Have you done any birthing classes? They usually go over your role.

We did two zoom classes provided by the hospital. They were partially helpful

On my area, the only two people allowed in the room hospital besides hospital staff are the mother and myself. Neither her mother, my mother, or any of her siblings will be allowed in the room

Covid has made this process pretty frustrating, usually the birth of a child means that you come in contact with a bunch of your peers etc in the same boat as you, and you can trade knowledge etc. Our area has been in total lockdown since first week of March, so we've missed out on all the casual/informal "this is what actually happens/don't forget to do X" information sharing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chili posted:

Here is exactly the thing you are asking for:

https://smile.amazon.com/Dont-Just-Stand-There-Clued/dp/0811855694/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dont+just+stand+there&qid=1601497438&sr=8-1

A friend of mine got it for me, and he said it saved him. I didn't end up using it so I can't vouch but my friend liked it!

Ordered, thanks

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So due to covid all our materials are online, including a 3 year old video that's supposed to be in place of an actual tour of the hospital, they had a number to call, and so we called it early just to see if anybody was still monitoring that number. Thankfully, somebody picked up, and, again due to covid, our hospital is "on divert" which basically (I guess) means that unless you drive there yourself for an emergency, they're not taking patients right now

Anyways we talked to the nurse info line lady 1:1 for almost an hour which is probably the most instruction we've gotten to date

Re: epidurals

They were giving us the 511 lecture, and said particularly if we don't want an epidural, don't come in until the last minute

My wife said she wanted the epidural for sure, and then the story changed considerably, suddenly they want us to come in as soon as we're sure it's real contractions and not a false alarm

Whoever pointed out upstream, that the epidural made you more rested for the final pushing part, that's very insightful, I'm curious to hear more if you care to share, I think my wife would be interested as well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Carotid posted:

, I could move around easily, the nurses were really surprised I could get up and walk after my delivery).

Name and anesthesia response match up :hmmyes: natural redhead?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congratulations inheriting all the other families diseases

The day care ought to let you come in a week early and have everyone lick your eyeballs and just pre-infect you and your kids, so that when you start, you've already been cross infected and you're not paying for days when your kid is out sick

Extreme quarrintine has confirmed a lot of my personal theories on how germ theory actually works in the real world

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Sleep training, my god. Let the fucker cry for a week, he'll get used to it. It's the worst goddamn feeling but it'll keep everyone sane in the long run.

It might be a good idea to take a few days off to have the stamina to do it.

Yeah, could you take turns doing this? Let the wife go stay at her mom, and then alternate staying at the house each night so only one parent is there and ruined the next day. You don't need two people to take the abuse of listening to a kid scream their head off for six hours straight

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My wife had a Z4 before I met her, we recently sold it

Z4 has a pretty impressive roll bar behind each seat (clad in black plastic), as long as the airbag is turned off, that's probably a safer car than a 20 year old Kia or whatever, certainly on par with a modern car. Oh and the visibility out of that thing is amazing. You're basically sitting over the rear wheel so there's not much of a blind spot. When we sold her Z4 and we got a sedan, I kept merging into people because I'd gotten used to the idea of no blind spot

Also, with the weight distribution, shorter wheelbase and lighter overall weight, not to mention improved power to weight ratio, you're less likely overall to get in an accident

Z4 is a chick car, probably is his ex wife's car and she couldn't pick the kid up from daycare and he didn't have a car seat in his car for whatever reason

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

davebo posted:

Chick car, huh?

That's what my wife, the previous owner, called it

I don't have the energy to find new and exciting ways to be PC about transportation

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess I don't understand what your concern about convertible vs non convertible is

Convertible has a roll bar wether or not the top is up, is designed to absorb the weight of the car rolling over at highway speeds. Child is strapped into a 4 point safety harness that's strapped into the car. None of that has any bearing on the the top is doing

Kia has the same thing (b pillar), plus a thin flimsy piece of sheet metal for a roof

It's possible that during a roll over crash you will get less dust in your eyes in the Kia, but from an "going to the ICU after a roll over" it's mostly a wash

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In a few minutes, she'll take a huuuuge poop and then go to sleep...

Well that's the best-case scenario I guess. Best of luck!

femcastra posted:

Update: big poo poo in nappy.

Would have never guess this outcome in a million years as a valid scenario

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nanny/Aupair chat?

Aupair seems like a screaming deal if you live in a high CoL area and you have a spare bedroom

Nanny is a lot less paperwork and local, but you are paying local rates

Anybody tried a nanny share? I guess each family pays about 2/3 the going rate. Looks like there is perhaps three main nanny sites

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Living in a high cost of living area means that it's between $12 and 20k cheaper per year to do an au pair, as daycare in our area is well north of $2800/mo for a single child. Nannies here start at about $24/hr

There are risks on the au pair side, I'm curious if anyone has done this from the host side. On the coin flip, let's just assume that I've traveled before in my 20s, hosted a bunch of couch surfers etc and generally not a terrible human looking to exploit people

Curious to hear from anyone who's actually hosted an au pair? Not just randos who read on the internet about how an au pair somewhere got stuck with a raw deal, that's not our plan nor is it related to the host experience

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Of course, there are plenty of positive examples and when it's done right it can be a great boon to both the family and the worker, but that's more the exception than the rule.

Looks like there are about 20,000 visas issued annually. This makes it a target of conservative anti immigration (even if temporary) and pro labor groups. Every side can always pull out choice cases

I still think you're way off topic, create your own anti immigration thread over in DnD or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

and b) didn't you say you were living in a 2BR?

Nope

And no, it would not be ok to ask an au pair to double up with your kid in a room.

Yeah that would be insane for a number of reasons, we have a separate full size bedroom with a real door, window, etc on the other end of the house with a queen size murphy wall bed in it already, my mother in law has already spent the night in it and her only complaint was that the pillows are too flat (already fixing this)

Thanks!