Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mnemosyne posted:

Anyone have any suggestions to keep a 1-year-old from moving all over the damned bed while bed sharing? He's very restless and wakes me up constantly. I'm not bed sharing on purpose, it's just the only way we've managed to get any sleep at all.

Good luck with that. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Has anyone ever done this with two kids? My toddler (he'll be about 32 months when new baby arrives), comes into my bed in the middle of the night, which I'm fine with. He can be a little kick-y, but generally sleeps through the night at that point.

I'll have a bassinet beside the bed for the baby, but with nursing, etc., the baby will probably be moving into the bed with me at some point. Should I just get rails for both sides and keep myself in the middle? Should I wean my kid off of coming into bed with me? I don't really have a desire to buy a cosleeper (and most of them were recalled here anyway), but I don't think the mesh side rails are designed for small babies, more toddlers.

I could also possibly rotate my bed so that the side is up against the wall, rather than the head being against the wall.

I didn't let the older kids sleep in the bed when the baby was a newborn if I wasn't awake. I was uncomfortable with it because kids can sleep so deeply and can thrash about quite a bit. It also isn't recommended for safe cosleeping practices. I did put a crib/toddler mattress on the floor beside my bed and they were allowed to crash there. When the baby was old enough that it wasn't a worry anymore, the mattress went in the other room.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ChloroformSeduction posted:

That makes sense - everything I've read has basically said toddler + newborn isn't a great combination. How old would it be when you felt it wasn't much of a worry?

It probably depends on the kid. Probably around a year or so.

Volmarias posted:

Speaking of which, for those of you with both newborns and toddlers, how does the sleeping situation work out? I would expect that when the newborn wakes up every few hours screaming, it would wake up the toddler and make them grumpy an poorly rested. Do they just sleep through it instead?

It depends how deep your toddler sleeps. If they're a super light sleeper, it's going to be an issue.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

An Cat Dubh posted:

My 4 and a half month old is cutting his first tooth and is having a horrible time sleeping. Waking up frequently and really restless. Any advice to help him?

Tylenol or Ibuprofen just before bed.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

What's the recommended time to wait between introducing new foods? Today will be day 3 of squash and we haven't seen any allergy symptoms. I was thinking 4.

Also, how much do you start out giving? We do oatmeal for breakfast and I make about a serving size (3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons with 2-3 oz breastmilk) but I'm only doing 2 oz of puréed fruits and veggies.

We waited every 4 days. Allergic reactions don't usually appear the very first time a child eats something because it is the repeated exposure that triggers the reaction. So the second exposure is the one to really watch out for.

I just gave whatever amount the kid wanted to eat. They fed themselves though.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Volmarias posted:

Every passenger should have their own seat, period. Again, violent, unexpected turbulence is a real thing, and your plane CAN literally fall out of the sky for a few seconds due to strange weather. This is not hyperbole, this is real, albeit uncommon. Read about microbursts, etc. I hate to use appeal to authority on this, but during flight school this was drilled into my head again and again.

Considering a seat for your infant a waste of money is literally the same as considering a carseat a waste of money since you have a perfectly good lap in a car as well. Do you have a carseat? Do you consider it a waste of money? Did you only buy it because "The Man" would fine you if you didn't?

Do you have links to show reallife evidence of babies being seriously hurt in turbulence frequently enough for this to be an actual concern? Because I've heard this over and over but people fly with lap children every day and there are not dozens of injuries a day. I think the risk is very small.

Flying is very different from driving in a car and I would never drive in a car without a carseat. Flying is SO MUCH SAFER that it's pretty ridiculous for you to say it's literally the same thing.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Volmarias posted:

http://www.examiner.com/article/turbulence-turns-airplane-into-a-roller-coaster-passengers-describe-their-horrific-ordeal

Imagine having your adorable little football bouncing around the cabin, slamming their adorable little head into bulkheads at high speed because you didn't feel it was necessary to buy a third seat. Flying is totally safe, right? Why waste the money?

http://www.airsafe.com/cabin/turb.htm
http://www.airsafe.com/events/turb.htm

Statistically, flying is safer than driving, but not by much. Don't forget to compare the number of air flights vs the number of auto trips. If there were only 50,000 automobile trips globally every day, you might think that cars were pretty safe too. This is why air crashes make the news; they don't happen with such regularity as auto trips, so they're actually a newsworthy event.

I'm not going to dredge up statistics for you, you're an adult, you can do your own research with a few clicks. If you choose to take your child's life into your own hands because it's cheaper than buying another seat, that's your choice.

From your own link "While fatalities are rare, they do happen. Since 1980, AirSafe.com has identified six fatal turbulence accidents where at least one passenger was killed on a jet airliner. Less severe injuries are more common. For example, during the seven-year period 2003-2009, the NTSB identified 80 turbulence events on airliners that involved a serious injury to at least one person on the aircraft."

SIX FATAL TURBULENT ACCIDENTS since 1980. That number is very low.

I understand what you're saying. Flying with your child in a carseat is hands down the safest way to fly. I think you are vastly overstating the risk to lap babies. It is nowhere near as unsafe as car travel.

I'm done taking my children's life into my hands on airplanes since mine are all old enough to need their own seats now. If I had to do it over again though, I wouldn't hesitate.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lullabee posted:

On another note, is there anything to prevent rug burn on knees? Hes hit the 'on all fours rocking' stage of almost crawling, and we're in an apartment with all carpet. So his knees are red. We go pants less because its cool enough to not need ac but not cool enough for pants.

Get some lightweight pants.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

iwik posted:

As a side question, what did you do for your child's first birthday? A proper party or just a family BBQ or something with a cake? I have 3 weeks and have to decide what to plan.

I made cake and gave them one present. Family came over if they wanted, but we didn't have a party or anything. It was good. The kids don't care at all at that age. ;)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

I'm having problems with breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. She gets blood in her stools occasionally, and spits up a lot. Her pediatrician advised cutting out dairy and soy. I am pretty hardcore about this, and scrutinize ingredient lists and quiz waiters (I have stopped eating out so much due to this but I am in the middle of a big house move and do not have a great kitchen.) However she still gets some blood in her stools, although the spit-up has improved. She is also putting on good weight (previously she was not, probably due to the excessive spit up.)

I asked about this issue at her 4 month check up and he said if it didn't improve I should consider a special formula milk. I don't want to feed my baby formula. She has never had formula. I like breastfeeding, so does she, and my gut feeling is that it cannot be a good idea - the special formula is made of cow's milk (heavily broken down.) And if I lose my milk by using formula, I can't go back.

It is also really hard to follow this diet without much ability to cook. I'm hungry all the time :( Losing the baby weight no problem! :)

Anyone else had this issue, or know about allergies?

Have they checked for other issues? Blood in the stool is not only caused by food allergies.

That said, I was wheat, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and potato free for a long time because of my son's allergies while I breastfed him. It can definitely be done, but it is hard at times.

You can still cook a lot of things even in a crappy kitchen. Do you have a rice cooker? That was a big help to me. You can buy frozen precooked chicken and throw it in a microwave if you have access to that.

Take a good multivitamin, eat a lot of vegetables and fruits, make smoothies with coconut milk yogurt. Cook with lots of olive oil. I ate a lot of chicken and rice with veggies and fruits for the sides. Tinkyada make delicious rice pastas.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. My 8-year-old son is still allergic to eggs, dairy, sesame, and pecans but eats a wide variety of foods and is very healthy.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 17, 2013

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

I do not have any gadgets like a rice cooker or a blender. I have a stove, microwave and refrigerator. In two weeks I move into our new apartment and can have any gadget I like.

Before cutting out "wheat, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and potato" I'd use the formula milk, because that'd be pretty much impossible. I'm eating a lot of fruit and veg but it makes me feel horrible - overfull, farty and hungry at the same time!

Ah, if you're not willing to cut anything else out of your diet then I'd just suggest you switch to the formula. There are hypoallergenic ones you can try if you're worried about the milk allergy. Your doctor should be able to advise you on the best type. I can assure you that cutting those things out of one's diet is not impossible though, as I did it for over two years. ;) YMMV though.

I'd also be at the doctor's a lot more frequently until there is no longer blood in your baby's stool. That's a pretty serious sign of a problem and ignoring it isn't a great idea.

ETA: I just gave you the foods MY son was allergic to. A real elimination diet would be wheat, nuts, peanuts, shellfish, dairy, egg, soy-free. The potato and corn are weird things my kid ended up reacting to but most people's kids are fine with them. Two weeks on an elimination diet and then adding one food back in at a time to watch for reactions is the recommended course of action. A lot of babies are sensitive to wheat so I wouldn't be surprised if it was that one.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 17, 2013

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

If I was ignoring it would I have seen the pediatrician 3 times about it and posted here, and cut an absurd amount of things out of my diet (remember it is not just milk/soy but ALL milk/soy byproducts including obscure additives)? I am not ignoring it.

But maybe I should. I'm wondering if this is such a big deal. Is a little bit of blood a big deal now she is putting on weight well? The pediatrician didn't seem greatly bothered about it, as long as she is putting on weight well (which she is.) She's happy and growing well.

Probably I am just being overanxious.

When I was on my son's diet, I also avoided every single tiny amount of his allergens so I know it can be obnoxious.

Has your doctor checked for other common causes of blood in the stool?

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bloodystool/

OK, I went back and read some of your previous posts. Your baby had weight gain problems until less than a month ago. I would either do a full elimination diet or find a formula that agrees with your baby. August 20th you said she had weight gain issues. It hasn't even been a full month of her putting on weight well. Shrugging it off seems like a huge mistake.

dreamcatcherkwe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 17, 2013

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Alterian posted:

Cause when you have a young baby, and you're moving, and you're working, and you're starving and the baby is crying and being fussy and you're stressed out and sometimes the only peace you get currently in your life is when you're on the toilet or the 5 minutes you have to eat your dinner, you don't want to eat chicken breast and steamed vegetables. You want something normal and tasty to enjoy in that sliver of time you have that just your own to enjoy for a brief moment.

Then switch to formula, which is a perfect safe food for babies. Seriously, feeding breastmilk that has ingredients the baby is majorly allergic to to the point where there is blood in the stool is SO MUCH WORSE than giving formula. Either eliminate foods OR feed formula. Feed the baby something the baby can tolerate.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

Just looked at the ingredients on this, and it's got soy oil in it, so that would be no good. I'm driving myself round the twist avoiding soy oil. I don't care about the expense. I'd pay 10 times as much if I could fix the problem without side effects.

Soy oil is really not likely to bother someone who is allergic to soy. I am allergic to peanuts and am still able to eat things made with peanut oil, for example.

"The FDA exempts highly refined soybean oil from being labeled as an allergen. Studies show most individuals with a soy allergy can safely eat soy oil that has been highly refined (not cold-pressed, expeller-pressed or extruded soybean oil)." http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/soy-allergy

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

DwemerCog posted:

You are not reading my posts. People keep suggesting plainer and plainer food, when my need is simply to cut out dairy and soy. There is really no need to keep suggesting steamed veggies. I am eating more veggies than you can possibly imagine. I am also eating a lot of salads.

It is hard, because these things leave you hungry. Most people can benefit from eating these things because they eat bad stuff the rest of the time. But if you eat nothing else, it makes you feel awful and hungry all the time. The books say I should be eating 300 calories more than normal for milk production, and I am probably eating 300 calories less.

Have you found any milk substitute you like? I personally like chocolate almond milk the best. There are coconut milks out there too. You can add a couple juices to your diet and increase your calories that way.

I think people are responding to the fact that you said your kitchen is limited. So they're listing things you can make easily even in a small kitchen with few tools.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My 8-year-old is going to be Sonic the Hedgehog, my 6-year-old will be some Skylanders dude (Trigger Happy), and my 3-year-old is going to be a princess or a dinosaur, depending on what she decides that day. ;)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Konomex posted:

If it's just the water in the face you can buy a thingo that you use to rinse their hair with a rubber lip that wraps onto their forehead, you tip their head back and their face stays dry.

We did this and it helped some. Another thing that helps is holding a dry washcloth on their eyes while you pour the water on. All three of my kids went through this so it's fairly common.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Pendragon posted:

I'm looking for an opinion on moving to a new house from the experienced parents here.

My wife is 18 weeks into a twin pregnancy. Our current house will fit twins, but it will be a bit of a squeeze. We do have some nice things like a fenced-in backyard, a half-finished basement, and a tiny mortgage payment (which will help us afford daycare for two). However, the school district isn't the best, so we would like to move to a different house sometime before the twins reach kindergarten. We don't want to move now though because the stress plus my wife's fatigue would be bad for everyone, including the unborn.

Our question is, based on this thread's experience with kids, how soon do you think we should even consider moving? When the twins are 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? When does it become doable with babies/toddlers? Depending on the answer, we may decide to do some more upgrades to this house (such as replacing the 18 year old air conditioner).

Kids are super resilient, so I wouldn't worry about moving at any point between now and kindergarten. We moved when one of my kids was 2 1/2 and the other was 6 months and then we moved again when they were 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. A lot of people move around a lot and it isn't an issue.

That said, if you don't have a lot of help moving, waiting until the kids are closer to kindergarten is probably easier than attempting it with toddlers. :) They can be a handful.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Rythe posted:

This might be a silly question but do any of you parents, that have a daughter, have issues finding underwear that is not covered in princess everything? The little one is starting to potty train and we want to get her excited by having some neat looking undies but we can only seriously find princess stuff with a random cute pair now and again, not enough to give her a wide variety to pick from.

I like the Fruit of the Loom stuff for fit and fashion.

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Loom-Wa...he+loom+toddler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Any tips on dealing with babies and eczema? My almost 4 month old was just diagnosed with it. The doctor suggested Aveeno lotion and gave us a mild steroid cream. The poor thing is constantly whining and trying to scratch at her legs. Anything else I can do to help?

Sometimes eczema can be caused by food allergies/sensitivities. My son's all but went away when we cut corn out of his diet (and the nursing mother's diet if you are). The Aveeno Eczema Care lotion was a miracle for us. We only use non-soap cleansers like cetaphil. Getting rid of fragrances in detergents also can help. Febreze is a nightmare for my son's skin.