Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

me: "2 episodes of Daniel Tiger is enough for today"
grandparent: "you used to watch tv for hours at their age"
me: "yeah and tv was better back then"
grandparent: "...drat right"

Have you tried this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

External Organs posted:

I have erased giant diarrhea dog shits from carpet with repeated uses of pet enzyme cleaner. It also rules for baby fluids.

Careful with enzyme cleaners and wool. The enzymes can do damage to the protein in the wool.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
NYC daycare, everything we've looked at starts at $2800/month and we're not even in Manhattan.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

nachos posted:

We got the gently caress out of NYC as soon as humanly possible after our daughter was born. Daycare is half that price here in Georgia. So is our mortgage compared to our old rent.

There's only one place our salaries don't drop like a rock outside of NYC, and that's DC, so whoops us.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Let me just grab this glass container to put the leftovers in... poo poo, how did I drop this?... Three bounces?!?!?... Still asleep? Ummm... Ok?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The more inclined they are, the more likely they are to potentially asphyxiate themselves if their head falls forward. We only let ours sleep in bouncers/car seats/etc if someone is watching them.

If your baby wants to sleep at an incline and/or has gastro issues and you are using a bassinet that supports this, you can prop up the legs on the head side a few inches to give them a slight incline. Stopped ours from grunting all the time during sleep. I really wish we had had the bassinet setup like the one at the hospital though.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 10, 2023

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The only TV show we watch now is How Much Will Our Baby Wiggle, Thrash, and Wave Before Sleeping or Crying. It's on for about thirty minutes every night.

We also gamble with each over how long the cries will go. Reverse Price is Right rules, so if you bid highest but still not long enough, you get to be the next sleep soother.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 14, 2023

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Get two spatulas, one with the travel case for your diaper on-the-go setup.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Brawnfire posted:

I've been wanting to get something to bike my kid around but I'm sort of unnerved by my kid trailing behind my bike, out of easy sight. Does it feel fairly natural?

It's more money, but this is why I'm looking at long john cargo bikes. Everything in front means more things in sight.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

in_cahoots posted:

What’s the name of this? I’ll be in the market for an e-bike that can fit two kids soon.

Look for cargo bikes. Kids in front are long johns or bakfiets, kids in back are long tails.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I really want to exercise, but there's no time, but my body is so achy. I think I'm going to count stretching while she naps as a workout.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
She has a very big case of "I do data analysis for my day job, so that means I can analyze any data regardless of my subject knowledge"

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm so happy everything that I hand wash is big enough for a sponge now. I disliked the Dr. Brown's for that alone.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Democratic Pirate posted:

The issue we have with bottle/hand washing is the cracked hands. It’s better now we’re out of the newborn stage, but for a while both our hands were canyons of cracks and bottles of lotion were the only thing keeping them intact.

Elbow length pink gloves from South Korea. They can buffer the hot water and put me deep in the podcast and clean mode.

Mine come in a two-pack, so I use the other pair for dealing with the reusable diapers.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Necronomicon posted:

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. We’ve been giving him solid food for the last two months and we’re focusing on calorically dense food - stuff like mascarpone, ricotta, peanut butter mixed with sweet potato and yogurt and etc. We were making good progress for a while but he started popping out his first tooth recently and lost interest in solids almost entirely for the last week. He still nurses frequently (our lactation consultant’s motto was “nurse first, ask questions later”) but given that he’s thriving and happy, is it just a fact of life that some babies are on the smaller end? Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

Not monster.

Ours was in the tens through the first ten months and then suddenly jumped way up over two months. Nothing really major changed in her diet. She was breastfed. And even though the doctor said everything was fine, my partner understandably was stressing anytime her percentile went down a little bit. As if it was her failure that baby didn't pack on pounds at the right speed.

Baby growth is a mystery.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2024

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

morothar posted:

I’ve convinced myself that SIDS is a late-stage capitalism ‘disorder’ that largely affects poor people. Digging into the stats seems to support that impression, but it’s not like I have time to run models.
It’s never been a topic in Europe when we still lived there, and I’m kind of curious to see if it has changed. But that impression has just reinforced my take that SIDS happens to overworked and overstressed folk who medicate / take drugs.

Yes, this feels right

quote:

Similarly, I don’t get having kids sleep in their own bed at a young age. It feels profoundly off “anthropologically” if that makes sense? But then, lots of things that humans did for (tens of) thousands of years were.
I’ve been unable to find good research on this topic, but it feels like we as a society could be causing systemic psychological harm to our children.

And this feels wrong.

But, I'm just a parent frustrated at the amount of baby min-maxing that assumes there is some way of raising a more perfect human. We do lots of things that we're not even aware of that will probably have an even bigger effect on our kid than many of our conscious efforts.

The more I parent, the harder I find it to poo poo talk how other people parent, at least until their kids hurt my kid.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The more you do it the easier it is, but I'm still destroyed for at least the rest of the day.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I have PreCheck and my partner doesn't. We have found it most helpful to turn me into a luggage mule while they take the baby through regular security with as few bags as possible. That way I get the allowances for not taking out batteries, baby food, etc, and they get a little leeway from nice TSA staff since they have a baby.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
One of the positions we were warned about is slumping forward, chin on chest. That can be enough to collapse the throat and prevent the child from breathing.

And like all baby things, the advice tends to be on the side of 0-risk-is-the-only-acceptable-amount, so I'm seeing advice that is warning about that possibility through age 2 and some that says only until they can sit up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Pham Nuwen posted:

We're looking at "helper stools" for the kitchen, to bring the kid to counter height so they can watch and "help", and a common theme seems to be that they're cheaply made crap from all-caps alphabet-soup sellers on Amazon, with a tendency to fall apart or tip over.

Anybody have one of these they're happy with? It's for a 1yo.

We have the collapsible piccalio. I'm amazed our 18 month old can climb up into it and move the safety bar into place pretty easily now after getting it at 14 months. We lifted her in before. Getting down is still tricky for her. She kind of sits on the edge while hanging into the bar and waits for us to offer a hand. We're happy with the stability although when she reaches way out to the side, it can cause it to tip. I count that as just one of things we can watch for when she's in the kitchen with us.

For this kind of furniture, I try to find a second hand premium option on a parent group, especially from someone who bought it and then decided it didn't fit their parenting style. It was still $150ish.