Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Omg. $1500/month here. That is after a discount I get through work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We're paying about $1650 a month here in Philadelphia, though that does include aftercare from 4-6 every day. Second kid is due in April. I can't wait to be paying for two of them in Daycare at the same time! At least we get an 8% discount on the cheaper child for having more than one at the same daycare.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
We're paying about $2000 a month ($495 a week now that she's in the toddler class) for daycare, with solid foods included (when she was on formula/breastmilk/purees only, we had to provide). It's all day, so that's nice.

nesbit37 posted:

We're paying about $1650 a month here in Philadelphia, though that does include aftercare from 4-6 every day. Second kid is due in April. I can't wait to be paying for two of them in Daycare at the same time! At least we get an 8% discount on the cheaper child for having more than one at the same daycare.

Definitely feeling you on the second kid costs--ours is due in July and we're still thinking about if we want to change things up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I was looking at $1700 a month for infant care in the Twin Cities before it'd drop down to $1500 at a year and half. Supposedly Minnesota has some pretty strict requirements around class size, teacher training, etc that drive up costs but IMO all sound like good things if you can afford it.

Moving north has saved me $800 a month in child care alone.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
~2300/mo here for 2 kids in the Ft. Lauderdale area for 7am-6pm, snacks and lunch (as optional add-on). It's sort of fancy, they do yoga, chess, Spanish, sign language. We switched to this place during the pandemic when our old daycare basically said gently caress it, yolo, and didn't enforce any sort of quarantine/class shutdown for known cases. Older is starting kindergarten next fall, looking forward to the extra $900/month. Toddler just got cheaper, but not by much.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Inferior Third Season posted:

It was, of course, a cyan marker.
Mmm, what's the label on the "cyan" marker? They don't actually call those cyan now right?

Also see every future discussion with primary education art teachers about primary colors.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Do I win? $545 per week for one kid, Boston area.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We're a bit outside the D.C. area paying $5,400 a year for preschool 3, but that's Sept-May, only 3 days a week and only 2.5 hours a day, and it takes me 40 minutes round trip for dropoff and pickup, with ~10 minutes to sit through their dropoff/pickup lane protocol. So after I get home and do chores I have a good half hour to sit and watch the clock to make sure I'm not late for pickup.
Plus it's his first time exposed to other kids so he's still sick and missing school all the time. Has a cold again right now in fact, and refuses to blow his nose outward. He just keeps sucking it back up there over and over.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

2,750 with the employer subsidy. It’s uh…across the street though, so there’s that >:(.

E: this will be for infant care

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 24, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Brawnfire posted:

Sometimes you just need half an hour or more in the tub with two differently-sized cups.

If anyone else tries to convince you otherwise, they're wrong. Express this to them.

We were doing this last night and I was sitting next to him outside the tub playing video games on my phone. Much water was poured from the cups over his little floating Cars™️. Wife came in to tell me about work and when I stopped watching him he decided to pour an entire cup of water on me.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

sharkytm posted:

Our Montessori is $1019/month ($835 for 0830-1430, $184 for aftercare) for 2 days a week, 0830-1630. Snacks are provided, but not lunch.

What's the difference in price if you went for the full week? That's what our price is for.

Also we came across an in-home daycare and it reminded me that someone made an effort post on things to look for/ask abour. Don't suppose anyone has that handy? If not i'll just start scrolling back through the thread.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
We're at ~$1,950 a month for our toddler in downtown Chicago. It's right across the street with a small group of students and three teachers, so we like it very much, but you definitely pay for all of it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

External Organs posted:

$600 / month here for 5 days a week, in the middle of coal country southern West Virginia. Breakfast / lunch / snack included. Probably the lowest it'll go for this thread... This is a crazy economically depressed area.

You beat me by $20. Not an economically depressed area and the kids are all the children of doctors/white collar workers/etc. so I genuinely don’t know why they don’t raise the prices.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 24, 2023

Dastardly Dog
Jan 18, 2023
359/week for 5 full days each week, Seattle-ish. Feels like a fortune and then I compare it to some of what I'm seeing here...

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We were paying around 2100 a month previously but then we moved within the same city and found a daycare attached to a church that's 275 a week with food (and is only a four block walk)

They're super great with her and she loves it, I have some minor quibbles but I would with anything. They do a short prayer before mealtimes which has led our child to every so often leading a prayer before we do tea party, and the way she pronounces things means "thank you God" comes out "thanks you guyyyys, for the foooood,"

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
$1049/mo for nearly 3yo in Portland with food included 6am-6pm(not that he's ever there that early or late). Onsite at my job and discounted. Most places are $1500+ for similar care with worse hours and location from what I saw before moving here.

edit: prices going up 5% in a month or so, though :[

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
oh and by the way, our pediatrician wasn't stocking or administering the bivalent booster for kids under 3 so I wound up going to a city of Chicago-run vaccine event one weekend to get my kid hers. It's extremely annoying that there's not more information about how and where to do that.

and like, our pediatrician is advocate why the gently caress doesn't your kid's clinic that does kid's flu shots also do this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Benagain posted:

oh and by the way, our pediatrician wasn't stocking or administering the bivalent booster for kids under 3 so I wound up going to a city of Chicago-run vaccine event one weekend to get my kid hers.
At this point there's essentially zero interest among parents and marginal interest among professionals. Our pediatrician did get 10 2x dose vials in, in January, and due to the low amount they were only offering it to those who specifically asked, which I think was just me. I don't think there's anywhere else around here we could get them either.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Benagain posted:

oh and by the way, our pediatrician wasn't stocking or administering the bivalent booster for kids under 3 so I wound up going to a city of Chicago-run vaccine event one weekend to get my kid hers. It's extremely annoying that there's not more information about how and where to do that.

and like, our pediatrician is advocate why the gently caress doesn't your kid's clinic that does kid's flu shots also do this.

Our pediatrician's office has a wait list, and when the wait list gets big enough they call everyone in on some sunday and do nothing but vaccinations. They end up doing about one a month.

Apparently they have to do it this way because there's so little interest that it's not practical to keep defrosted vaccinations on hand during normal operations.

Just a solid lol for that whole bullshit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Random thought

The girl assisting my kid's 4th birthday party's name was Alexa and every time her boss started barking orders at her, I had to try really hard to contain myself.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Benagain posted:

They're super great with her and she loves it, I have some minor quibbles but I would with anything. They do a short prayer before mealtimes which has led our child to every so often leading a prayer before we do tea party, and the way she pronounces things means "thank you God" comes out "thanks you guyyyys, for the foooood,"

Man, mealtime prayers. That would be illegal in a daycare here in Sweden. Takes me way back to when my third grade teacher would lead the class through the Lord’s Prayer one morning a week, and occasionally hymns as well. In retrospect it’s funny no parent ever complained because that was banned in schools even back then, in the late 80’s.

I unironically love this county.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
NYC daycare, everything we've looked at starts at $2800/month and we're not even in Manhattan.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Opposite end of the spectrum here in Australia, Twins go to daycare 7.30-17.30 on Fridays. $110 each a day but we're on the highest subsidy rate and pay $32 total out of pocket a week. Subsidy rate does drop off pretty rapidly with income levels though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Giant Metal Robot posted:

NYC daycare, everything we've looked at starts at $2800/month and we're not even in Manhattan.

We got the gently caress out of NYC as soon as humanly possible after our daughter was born. Daycare is half that price here in Georgia. So is our mortgage compared to our old rent.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I am unsure whether we were drastically underpaying for childcare before or if new places are just loving charging more. We looked at a place today that, while loving amazing (yoga, dual language, gardening, snacks included, literally has a "kids struggling with potty training but too advanced for toddlers" class), costs $500+ more a month. That's almost a 50% increase.

Not sure how exactly it works in Austin, but in Dallas public PK3 is pretty affordable/free depending on your income. I assume your kid's too young since they have to be 3 by September of the school year, but I had to apply pretty early so you might want to look at what you need to do get in in September. We got into a public Montessori here and my daughter really liked it. Biggest downside is once your kid's in public PK3 you're officially under truancy laws, which is awkward and annoying with a toddler.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

nachos posted:

We got the gently caress out of NYC as soon as humanly possible after our daughter was born. Daycare is half that price here in Georgia. So is our mortgage compared to our old rent.

There's only one place our salaries don't drop like a rock outside of NYC, and that's DC, so whoops us.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

M. Night Skymall posted:

Not sure how exactly it works in Austin, but in Dallas public PK3 is pretty affordable/free depending on your income. I assume your kid's too young since they have to be 3 by September of the school year, but I had to apply pretty early so you might want to look at what you need to do get in in September. We got into a public Montessori here and my daughter really liked it. Biggest downside is once your kid's in public PK3 you're officially under truancy laws, which is awkward and annoying with a toddler.

I'll talk that over with my spouse and ngl if we can swing it it'll be nice since it'd be at the same school his sister is attending 1st grade at. The issue is whether we make too much as opposed to not enough. Which is not the worst issue to have.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I'll talk that over with my spouse and ngl if we can swing it it'll be nice since it'd be at the same school his sister is attending 1st grade at. The issue is whether we make too much as opposed to not enough. Which is not the worst issue to have.

We had to do the tuition based one, but it was $525/month, which is still way less than anywhere else in town. You also end up having to find summer care, which I remember also being awkward. It's cool that they offer public PK3/4, but having it only during the school year, and then desperately trying to find a summer program that will take someone under 6 was annoying. Still worth it, but things to think about.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just wanted to take a minute to gush about how I get updates about what my little guy is doing at daycare throughout the day, and it really makes my day. Today after circle time (circle time!!) they sorted shapes by different sizes. It’s just astounding every day how he learns and grows so much. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and see what he is like interacting with the other toddlers.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My kid's daycare is great but they never send enough photos:arghfist:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

citybeatnik posted:

What's the difference in price if you went for the full week? That's what our price is for.

Also we came across an in-home daycare and it reminded me that someone made an effort post on things to look for/ask abour. Don't suppose anyone has that handy? If not i'll just start scrolling back through the thread.

It's double the price for 5 days/week. They don't have any openings available, so we're doing 2 days a week at the closer place, which is a national chain and well-regarded locally. We're maximizing cost/hour this way! :sigh:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Good soup! posted:

My kid's daycare is great but they never send enough photos:arghfist:

:same:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Gonna beat Kirbykhan to the punch and say yea miss Rachel seems okay

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBj9Qlpwjcs

Ok, so I'm mixing in some Mrs Rachel into my 23 month old's media diet. He's getting a lot more tv time now newborn is here. Only watched and reviewed 2 of the more recent videos so far. Based on the thumbnails there is a big jump in production value like this year or last. I think I've seen someone drop her name in this thread a while ago, but I can't remember. I can see the Yo Gabba Gabba influences, the non-sequiter cuts in between lessons are neat and the sessions are paced well. My favorite childrens media thing is when the video makes an active effort to competently repeat some of the songs or lessons at the middle and end of the episode. Each video is either a half hour or an hour long, they seemed themed on lessons and developmental stages, right now I picked out colors and so far it is cohesive. Mrs Rachel as a performer is fine, the camera is extremely close to her face, on purpose. Like half the appeal of these videos is that they show the mouth shapes and face muscle motions for sounds and phonics. It was too intense to be on the big screen, cellphone screen washed out all the back ground details, but having it on the computer monitor that can swing towards the highchair, yeah that's the goldylocks sweet spot. The songs arn't rhythmically different than the SuperSimpleSongs versions he is used to. So far I've been able to get the jist of each sing-along song and pick it up and sing a long on the second go around.

I've been pretty down on cocomelon, but after doing a close reading like last week I found out that my problem with it is that it was just low rent low production low effort. There were also some song lyric changes they did to some songs that I just could not abide. Mrs Rachel is very low production, but it is absolutely high effort.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Man, nothing makes you feel like a monster more than telling a crying child you can't sing them any more bedtime songs

There's a limit tho

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Man, nothing makes you feel like a monster more than telling a crying child you can't sing them any more bedtime songs

There's a limit tho

That's some horrible monster behavior, right there. You should keep singing them till your vocal chords fail, in different silly voices and monster voices etc. At least that's kid logic.

Story:

When my daughter was around...1? Maybe 1 and a half? We got her the my neighbor totoro picture book to read to her. This is not a short picture book, this is a picture book of https://www.amazon.com/Neighbor-Totoro-Picture-Book-New/dp/1421561220 - 112 pages. There are entire paragraphs, and it can take 2-4 hours to read the entire thing to her. It is long.. She loved it so much, she would ask us to read it repeatedly until I was quite literally hoarse from reading it to her and had to take a break.

It did make seeing Totoro as the first movie for her due to Ghibli returning to theatres entirely magical too. :3:

Of course now she just extends bedtime forever, with a 1 hour bath/shower/teeth/etc bedtime routine and then spends an hour getting her doll ready for bed, reading to it, etc.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have been super ruthless about pruning my kids bedtime routine because it had ballooned late last year into taking like 45 minutes. after bathtime and toothbrush time, we now have it down to about fifteen - i tell him a few stories, i sing him a song, then i read to him a book that i have memorized (it has like 30 words total lol), then i give him a lil kiss and say goodnight. usually it works! i guess bathtime and toothbrush time is part of it too but i thikn of the bedtime routine as what happens once he's tucked in.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

We are considering moving my kid to a different daycare largely to gain the convenience of walking her to and from school on my walk to work. The new place is about the same cost, doesn’t do lunch and is much more free form (and has a larger age range of kids — up to about kindergarten).

Im a little nervous because current place is totally fine and, like, what if my kid hates the new one. The old one is run by the school district and has nicer facilities. but my kid probably won’t notice, and have I mentioned we would to walk her every day? And they don’t have snow days at the drop of a hat like the district does now?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
In New Zealand - for both our kids in 4 days per week our daycare is roughly $480/week which after subsidies came down to $87/week - so about $1920/month and $348/month respectively.
We're on a break from the biggest childcare subsidy at the moment because in the eyes of the government my husband "doesn't work" during the summer semester of his masters, so we're currently paying about $1200/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My wife and I were reading in bed last night when we heard some kitchen cabinets open and closed. Wife said it was probably the cats, I got up to check on the kiddo and nope not in bed. She moved like a ninja, we didn't hear a door open, or see her, or hear her footsteps, to get some more fruit snacks.