Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

What did people do to teach their kid to spit out their toothpaste? We're using training toothpaste because he mostly just sucks it off the toothbrush while we brush him. I've saying "Now spit!" when he's finished and spitting in the sink but he hasn't quite made the connection yet. He just turned two last month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

On the Fire Kids, if you turn on airplane mode or turn off wifi it only shows you what you've downloaded. We almost sent ours back until we figured that out, navigating past all of the crap they push is awful.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

My guy was over 18 months too. Once they start you forget that they ever didn't know how.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

On the other hand watching the actual trains zoom around a model set is way cooler than the CGI cartoons.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

I thought airlines were federally required to seat parents with children?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

We used a nail file until his fingers got big enough where I felt like I could actually clip without taking off his finger tips.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

We got our two year old son a tablet because we had a plane ride coming up, with the naive notion that it would only be a special occasion activity. Fast forward a few months... Now he gets an hour before his nap and an hour after his nap, but when he's not playing on it he talks about "tablet" all the time and when we say goodnight he usually responds with "Tomorrow tablet will wake up!" It's a little depressing.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Taking the two year old to Disneyland next week! We figured we should fit a trip in while he's still free and before we start trying to expand. No expectations, he's been on rides before at our local park, just going to go for vibes and exploring over trying to do lots of rides.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Eeyo posted:

I’m a stay at home dad and do about 3/4 of the care for my 6 month old son. This afternoon I came back from the grocery and my son was just inconsolable with my wife and wouldn’t eat his bottle, but got immediately better once I picked him up, which predictably made my wife feel like poo poo.

I think she’ll talk it over with her therapist on Friday, but it’s just kind of a sad situation. IDK if he actually is more used to me or not, but I don’t want her to feel like a bad mom even if he is.

I'm a stay at home dad and have the opposite, my kid seems to be happiest when my wife comes home from work.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

One of the few benefits of having a baby in August 2020 was that our social life didn't change at all and nobody was hurt we weren't seeing them. Although depending on the leanings of your family, that could easily go the other way.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

What are people's experiences with ABA therapy? Looking at providers and curious if there are some red flags to watch out for.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Thanks to everyone for the ABA information. We've got a list of providers and you gave us some good things to look for. The idea of doing 15 hours a week is pretty daunting, it's hard to imagine starting this without completely redoing all of our routines. Probably every parent thinks this, but it seems like he's going to miss a lot of prime childhood time and that bums me out. I know this is wrong, but there's a part of me that also thinks he would "grow out of" the behaviors he shows (he qualifies mostly in communication and the diagnosis caught us by surprise, it's still hard for me to differentiate between "normal toddler weirdness" and "ASD marker"). It's been difficult to really organize all of my feelings around it.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Growing up, my cousins did lousy in school so my grandfather started to give out money for good grades. To make it fair he offered it to all of the grandchildren. It didn't really make a difference for my cousins, but my sister and I, who were already doing well in school, really cleaned up. I can't say that it motivated me to work extra hard, it was more of a bonus for what I was already doing.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

The only parenting strategy I feel qualified to give is "Whatever gets you through the day". Kids are so crazy, my experience with my kid has been so different from my friends' that what works with my kids doesn't work for theirs and vice versa.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Renegret posted:

All I want is a giant daddy 20x my size to pick me up and cuddle me to sleep

shut up

Sometimes when I'm swinging my kid through the air I think about if there's any equivalent for that experience as an adult. Roller coasters? Get the guy from Game of Thrones to do it?

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Oof, three year old fell off the arm chair and somehow sliced open his palm on a cardboard box while falling down. Kid was a great sport waiting in the ER and getting his stitches in, but just kept his meltdown until we were cleared to leave when he decided he wanted to stay in the hospital bed. Cried carrying him back to the car, cried the whole way home, then was crying and screaming, trying to take his bandage off until finally passing out on our bedroom floor after midnight.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Just passed 24 hours with new baby. Forgot how much I love those new baby snuggles!

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Came home with newborn yesterday, three year old is very taken with her. Everything going smoothly today until three year old starts to vomit every half hour. Can only hope it's a stomach bug and nothing contagious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

For our first child they were trying to give my wife an epidural but her contractions were too intense and she couldn't stay still enough, ended up pushing and baby came out an hour later.

For our second child, wife's water broke at 2AM, got to the hospital at 3:30, baby was born at 4:11. She didn't even have time to get an IV much less an epidural.