Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

BadSamaritan posted:

My daughter has a fun new phase of not going the hell to sleep and instead trying to wring additional time with us(me) by any means necessary.

Mine has been doing this too. Turns out at least some of it is coming from worries she can’t articulate until we think to raise them, but once we talk about them she can sleep. Sometimes it’s “I’m scared because my friends in preschool were playing monsters” and sometimes it’s her grandparents’ health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If you're worried about an infection you can also put some bacitracin zinc ointment on first, and then the regular butt cream on top.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

My 5 month 3 week year old still doesn’t roll over or air up and it causes me nothing but angst - any tips?

There’s so much natural variation in when kids hit these physical milestones. Keep at it with tummy time but also don’t stress about it.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I've been looking at these kids fire tablets for a while. Maybe time to pull it trigger on that. She respects my phone and will give me mine when asked, but is less (not at all) obedient when it comes to wife's phone

I bought a kid's Fire tablet last Black Friday, thinking at the very least it would be a cheap way to stream downloaded videos on long car rides. I regret spending even the sale price amount of money. It is hot garbage and bad even at running Amazon's own Prime Video app. I'd recommend getting a real Android or iPad tablet if you can at all manage it. Or if not, just use your phone.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

devmd01 posted:

I wouldn’t give any of them back but drat if parenting isn’t so much easier when you only have 2/3 of the kids. Like, it doesn’t even matter which one you take away, it’s just automatically easier by an order of magnitude.

If you are reading this, have two, and want a third….think long and hard about it. We didn’t have a choice with a twofer on the second try but yeah…

My wife and I are having this discussion right now. We both always said “2, maybe 3.” And now we’re seeing the amount of work “maybe” was doing in that sentence. I’m ready to be done and focus on the two we have, she feels sad at being done with babies and wants one more.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

boquiabierta posted:

Y’all, food stuff is so. loving. Hard. All we want is for him to try a tiny bite of cauliflower and then we will give him drat near anything he wants. But he is hysterical and refusing and the cauliflower is on the floor and now I’m hysterical and don’t understand how any tiny humans ever learn how to eat

Don't put so much attention on the cauliflower. Just put it on the plate with all the other stuff he likes, don't make it a fixation. Just let it be there. If he let's it exist on his plate without pushing it off, that's a win. It may have to make an appearance several times before he tries it.

And in the meantime, remember what my pediatrician told my mom: "I've never known a kid to starve himself." A few days or a week of him eating what seems like barely enough food to survive, followed by a week of him eating so much that you wonder how it all fits inside his little body, is very normal in my experience.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Two kids with reactive airway disease here. They gave us a home nebulizer and some budesonide and albuterol, and a standing order to give budesonide twice daily at the first sign of a cold. No more ER croup visits since (we had two last fall/winter)! And they recently told us to quadruple the budesonide dose, since American Academy of Pediatrics learned that you can have a ton of inhaled steroids without trouble, and this keeps the kid from progressing to the point where they need oral steroids like prednisone which are tougher on the body.

The younger one still doesn't love the nebulizer, but some TV usually gets him through the treatment, and it does seem to work better than just some inhaler albuterol.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Silent Linguist posted:

Wish me luck goons, we’re about to fly with a toddler for the first time. We weren’t able to convince him to try wearing a mask, so here’s hoping those two Moderna shots are good enough.

If you can get him to wear it at the beginning and end of the flight that will get you almost all the benefit: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/07/covid-omicron-ba5-wave-airplane-masks/670565/

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Play the "loud and quiet" game with him where you get him to practice saying something at all sorts of different volumes. It'll get him used to thinking about it.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Are you doing things at home to simulate the car environment? Like a white noise machine?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

remigious posted:

Just took my 20 month old in to get his teeth looked at, apparently his pacifier is messing up his teeth :( She said he’s young enough that they can still straighten out, I’m just really bummed because he absolutely loves his pacifier/lovey and I’ll feel like a monster taking it away. I didn’t think I would need to wean him off the pacifier until he was over 2.

Every healthcare professional thinks that their area of the body is the most important. The dentist will always tell you that pacifiers are to be avoided, and that they're messing up their teeth. You have to figure out how to balance that advice with keeping your sanity in all the other areas of the kid's life.

My daughter is 4, and we tried and failed to get rid of the pacifier at 2, and then succeeded at 3. My son is almost 2 and that's the same trajectory we'll try to follow. My daughter's dentist has said that the spacing that she thought the pacifier was messing up is starting to improve.

It's also not all or nothing. Having the pacifier in at every moment is going to do more harm than only letting them have it for sleep time. If you can get to that level of usage, you'll be just fine IMO.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

nachos posted:

Jesus my kid has just stopped eating actual meals even if we offer her favorites like pasta, pizza, sweet potatoes, etc. I don’t know if appetite just naturally goes down once they get close to 3 but I guess it’s time to stretch out the snacks and stop offering poo poo every 2 hours.

To quote my childhood pediatrician, "I've never known a[n otherwise healthy] kid to starve himself." My kids have definitely gone a week or more where I wonder how they're alive on so little food, followed by a week of eating so much that I wonder where it all fits. Dropping most snacks in favor of three meals and a snack in between each meal, and that's it, is a good approach, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Play dates and park trips are definitely the way to retain your sanity on a solo weekend.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

A pediatrician in the emergency department told us that it was OK to give a half dose of children’s Benadryl to help them sleep when they’re sick like that, and that he does it with his own kids. Boy was that a game changer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

gbut posted:

My kid tootpasted her poop out of her diaper yesterday as she bumped he bum against the floor. While we were eating.

The weirdest thing to me was how unbothered I was. I used to be a super-squeamish gently caress. Now, I am a parent.

Shortly into parenthood, my wife and I looked at each other and agreed that gross no longer existed as a concept.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

poo poo, that is terrifying. I'm sorry you both have to deal with that. I'm glad they were able to get you some to tide you over, at least. And that stuff tends to work pretty quickly, thankfully.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

After yet another screaming kicking flailing episode at bed time that lasted until 9 pm from our 4.5 year old, my wife found this article and boy did we both need to read it: https://www.janetlansbury.com/2020/06/its-not-regression/. Some really helpful perspective and compassion for both parent and child.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Alterian posted:

My kids both loved Super Simple Songs
My toddler has now graduated to watching videos of steam trains.

We were probably the number one viewer of Coasterfan2105's channel there for a while. We went on vacation to San Diego this summer and were able to identify local trains from his videos.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

remigious posted:

I think I am going to try something radical tonight and turn the baby monitor off. I no longer feel like I need to be alerted every time he shifts in his crib. And since we moved to a new house with his room right next to ours I will wake up if he’s actually upset. Urgh I just really want to sleep.

Turning down the hypersensitivity of your brain is really hard, but important. And you're absolutely right, you'll hear him cry, and if your response time is 90 seconds without the monitor instead of 30 seconds with the monitor, he won't be any worse off.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

sharkytm posted:

We got pricing via the official enrollment form, finally. 2 days a week, 0830-1430 is $8,350. 5 days a week would be $16,700.

His first day went ok. Not great, but we'll see how it goes. Ate about 25% of lunch, took 2 short naps... Hopefully it gets better.

Not per month, surely? Is that per quarter, or what?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

2DEG posted:

Tell me about your experiences with asthma.

Both of our kids (4.5 yo, almost 2 yo) have "reactive airway disease" which is basically asthma that's only triggered by respiratory infections. They can run around and not have any trouble, but almost anytime they get a cold, they get a bad asthmatic cough to go with it. The 4 yo had croup twice last winter, and so the doctor has given us standing orders for both of them to just give them lots of budesonide via nebulizer twice a day whenever they have colds. The thinking is that even a high dose of inhaled steroid is a lot easier on the body than a systemic oral steroid like prednisone or dexamethasone, which they'd get if it did progress to croup. They also have rescue inhalers with spacers for albuterol. There is hope that they'll grow out of it as their airways get bigger.

There was no specific test, just a diagnosis based on these responses to illness.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

My daughter only eats the stems of broccoli for reasons that escape me.

My daughter does this with asparagus. Not matter how many times I tell her that the tips are the softest and tastiest part, she only eats the stems and piles all the tips on my plate.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Usually we ended up planning to read in bed on Kindles with backlights or watch a show on a tablet with headphones, but then just passing out from exhaustion.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

A third of the daycare class seems to be out with a mystery illness today. I haven’t even recovered from the last illness from a week ago. RIP me.

The rest of my family is over the last cold, but for me it lingered and then turned into a sinus infection. My antibiotics are starting to work, and then last night my daughter started coughing. gently caress.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

sheri posted:

I'm pretty sure he's saying after you take a taxi somewhere from your hotel, if you have your car seat with you what do you do with it then when you're at whatever museum / aquarium / attraction that you are visiting.

Coat check at the attraction?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

fourwood posted:

gently caress me, anyone here have sage advice for car seat installation? We just bought a Graco Extend2Fit convertible seat to transition out of the infant seat, but with either the LATCH or seat belt installation it seems like it either tilts very easily (I.e. top of the head rest pulls up and toward the rear of the car in rear-facing mode) or rolls to the side (from outside toward the center of the car). Our Graco infant seat with the detachable base I could get installed quite securely but this is way more motion than seems good to me, but gently caress me if I can find a way to tighten these straps down any more (again, trying both LATCH or seat belt install).

Is this much motion normal? Just linearly pulling side to side or up and down doesn’t move it hardly at all, but there’s all this rotation possible that seems terrible. Is this normal or am I doing very badly at this?

If you aren't confident in the installation, take it to your local fire department. They'll help install car seats.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Nessa posted:

I’m hoping to maybe get a cheap used Switch in a couple years so I can let my daughter start her own island. It’s only one island per Switch, so I’d want her to be able to start and build her own without messing with my own, which already has a nearly complete museum and stuff.

Isn’t it one island per profile on your Switch, not one island per actual physical Switch? We only have one Switch and it’s been forever since I played Animal Crossing but I think my wife and I had separate islands, each on our own profile. I know for sure it works for Pokémon since me, my wife, and our daughter each have separate profiles and so can have our own separate Pokémon game saves.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Positive COVID case in my 4 year old’s preschool class today. Now one parent is blowing up the class parents text thread trying to rally opposition to the school reinstating masking for the exposed kids for the next 10 days post-exposure and just won’t accept that nobody else in the class has a problem with it.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

There was some legislation in the US that was going to finally get rid of daylight savings but after it was introduced it looks like no one took it up.

It was going to make daylight savings permanent, which is way worse. States are already free to stay on permanent standard time, like Arizona and Hawaii do.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Look up "honorifics"; this is present in every culture I've come across. It is a deep, deep topic. On my wife's side of the family it gets into minutae like birth order and if the aunt/uncle is by blood or by marriage, which also, isn't super uncommon. At a casual glance it looks like Wikipedia has at least eighteen completely separate articles on the topic(s)

Sounds like this is a phase though, I'll just let it go for now

There’s a difference between “this is important to me/my family/my culture” and “I’m considering corporal punishment.”

Also I think this probably falls into “the more you react the more the kid will keep doing it because you reacted.”

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I am honestly surprised at the wide range of response to that post. "Short of corporal punishment," was meant as a flowery way of saying "how do I get my kid to not do this, i can't think of how to, it really annoys me" but somehow it's being interpeted as "i'm gonna spank my kid if this doesn't stop immediately". Or is it something else. I'm really curious.

It didn’t sound like “boy I’m frustrated and am mentioning corporal punishment by way of rhetorical overstatement” but rather like “I’d prefer not to beat him to get it to stop but I will if I have to.” Combined with being quite an overreaction to normal toddler try-stuff-and-see-what-happens behavior you came off as very unreasonable.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Yeah, you can check adequate hydration by what's coming out. Mayo Clinic says you want to see a wet diaper every 3 hours (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dehydration/symptoms-causes/syc-20354086). Similarly Cleveland Clinic says dehydration is indicated by seeing fewer than six wet diapers per day (for infants), and no wet diapers or urination for eight hours (in toddlers) (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/8276-dehydration-and-your-child). There's water in lots of food, too, if you can get her to eat ice cream or popsicles or something. We always keep the dye-free Otter Pops on hand and our kids devour them when they're sick.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Totoro is still the only full length movie my kids (4, 2) have seen. The big oak tree across the street on the way to preschool that drops a prodigious amount of acorns is “the Totoro tree” and a dear friend who studied abroad in Japan gave us many Totoro and Cat Bus stuffies.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My kids (4 and 2) definitely have stuffed animals at their preschool. The 2 year old just started a few weeks ago and he carries his everywhere. Our 4 year old did the same for probably a year. We never had anyone from the preschool complain about it or suggest that we stop.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Stuffies are kind of a different thing IMO. Seems like they should be allowed.

Yeah, I get no outside toys (that's the rule at our preschool too), but a single stuffy or other comfort object seems like a clear exception.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Nessa posted:

I’m excited for the explaining part. I can’t wait to teach my kid about science and nature and history and look forward to taking her to all the different museums. The dinosaur museum was an annual summer trip when I was a kid, and I wanna do the same for her.

Currently my child has decided that she wants to subsist solely on cheese and oaty bars. She recently developed an obsession with cream cheese and will eat it by the spoonful, but has also been having fun unwrapping Babybel cheeses. The only oaty bars she’ll eat are the apple sweet potato ones and she usually gets one every day. But recently she’s been wanting 2 and the other day she had 4 and a half. I’ve been letting her have as many as she wants since getting her to eat anything at all is a chore and there are worse things to fill up on.

My children's bodies must consist entirely of fruit, cheese, and carbohydrates, because that's basically all they eat.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Thankfully a two block walk. Not adding on extra commute every single day is such a boon.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My daughter's first adult food was hummus, and she used to routinely eat my jalapeno kettle chips at lunch. She's narrowed down as others have said, but is starting to open back up again to things that are just a little spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Multi nut butter stirred into yogurt along with some jam was one of my daughter’s first foods and is still a go to breakfast for the kids.