Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

terrez posted:

It's fun being at MEPS and talking to all the Air Force recruits shipping out. Half of them are Security Forces and a good portion of them specifically asked for that job. The best was a guy that was all "yea man I'm totally going to be on the sniper team and embed with seals :smug:"

Aren't they just fuckin MPs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

They care about tattoos that aren't visible in shirt/shorts? Huh? I'd understand a swastika or something but lo

Some dudes got sleeve tattoos and are getting NJP'd, heh

Wow. Back in 07 one of my sailors got sleeves and I just asked her where she got it done because it was really awesome work.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Marines man. Can't have anything visible in PT gear you can't cover with your hand. I think the Navy is the same policy but no one cares.

Pretty sure you can't go from enlisted to OCS with any arm tats too unless you were grandfathered or something.

Still blows my mind that you're having issues for something on your loving chest.

IIRC, Navy policy is "not visible in dress uniform" which has long sleeves.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DRONES CURE HAJI posted:

are you really basing your decision on what service to join on nicknames? maybe the marines really are for you

"heh, chair force pussies. I wanna be hardcore"
*joines Marines during drawdown to peacetime*

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

but who wants to get associated with a branch that is called the chairforce LOL

Marines have history and tradition man!

The Marine Corps is the only branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that recruits people specifically to Fight. The Army emphasizes personal development (an Army of One), the Navy promises fun (let the journey begin), the Air Force offers security (its a great way of life).Missing from all the advertisements is the hard fact that a soldier's life is to suffer and perhaps to die for his people and take lives at the risk of his/her own.Even the thematic music of the services reflects this evasion. The Army's Caisson Song describes a pleasant country outing. Over hill and dale, lacking only a picnic basket. Anchors Aweigh...the Navy's celebration of the joys of sailing could have been penned by Jimmy Buffet. The Air Force song is a lyric poem of blue skies and engine thrust. All is joyful, and invigorating, and safe. There are no land mines in the dales nor snipers behind the hills, no submarines or cruise missiles threaten the ocean jaunt, no bandits are lurking in the wild blue yonder.The Marines' Hymn, by contrast, is all combat. "We fight our Country's battles," "First to fight for right and freedom," "We have fought in every clime and place where we could take a gun," "In many a strife we have fought for life and never lost our nerve."The choice is made clear. You may join the Army to go to adventure training, or join the Navy to go to Bangkok, or join the Air Force to go to computer school.You join the Marine Corps to go to War!

Stop a soldier on the street and ask him to name a battle of World War One. Pick a sailor at random and ask for a description of the epic fight of the Bon Homme Richard. Ask an airman who Major Thomas McGuire was and what is named after him. I am not carping and there is no sheer in this criticism. All of the services have glorious traditions but no one teaches the young soldier, sailor or airman what his uniform means and why he should be proud of it.But...ask a Marine about World War One and you will hear of the wheat field at Belleau Wood and the courage of the Fourth Marine Brigade comprised of the Fifth and Sixth Marines. Faced with an enemy of superior numbers entrenched in tangled forest undergrowth the Marines received an order to attack that even the charitable cannot call ill-advised. It was insane. Artillery support was absent and air support hadn't been invented yet. Even so the Brigade charged German machine guns with only bayonets, grenades, and an indomitable fighting spirit. A bandy-legged little barrel of a Gunnery Sergeant, Daniel J. Daly, rallied his company with a shout, "Come on you sons a *****es, do you want to live forever?" He took out three machine guns himself.French liaison-officers hardened though they were by four years of trench bound slaughter were shocked as the Marines charged across the open wheat field under a blazing sun directly into the teeth of enemy fire. Their action was so anachronistic on the twentieth-century field of battle that they might as well have been swinging cutlasses. But the enemy was only human. The Boche could not stand up to the onslought.So the Marines took Belleau Wood. The Germans, those that survived, thereafter referred to the Marines as "Tuefel Hunden" (Devil Dogs) and the French in tribute renamed the woods "Bois de la Brigade de Marine" (Woods of the Brigade of Marines).Every Marine knows this story and dozens more. We are taught them in boot camp as a regular part of the curriculum. Every Marine will always be taught them! You can learn to don a gas mask anytime, even on the plane in route to the war zone, but before you can wear the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and claim the title United States Marine you must first know about the Marines who made that emblem and title meaningful. So long as you can march and shoot and revere the legacy of the Corps you can take your place in line.

A soldier wears branch of service insignia on his collar, metal shoulder pins and cloth sleeve patches to identify his unit. Sailors wear a rating badge that identifies what they do for the Navy. Marines wear only the Eagle, Globe and Anchor together with personal ribbons and their CHERISHED marksmanship badges. They know why the uniforms are the colors they are and what each color means. There is nothing on a Marine's uniform to indicate what he or she does nor what unit the Marine belongs to. You cannot tell by looking at a Marine whether you are seeing a truck driver, a computer programmer or a machine gunner or a cook or a baker. The Marine is amorphous, even anonymous, by conscious design. The Marine is a Marine.Every Marine is a rifleman first and foremost, a Marine first, last and Always!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

the air force cares deeply about putting people to rest respectfully and helping families recover

It's funny because they literally tossed remains in a dump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Damage8185 posted:

I'm 23, work a blue collar job that pays 30-35k a year, and have a few college credits. I'm expected to make those same figures for the next 3-4 years until my seniority improves. From what I've been reading, I can use USERRA to join and hold my seniority slot until I'm through with the military, at which point if I return to my current job I'm looking at 75-85k a year. Is joining to learn a skill and get an "easy" way to pay for college advisable? Plus there's the idea of serving my country and trying to get out of my state.

Doesn't USERRA seniority holds only apply to mobilized Reserve and Guard?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The charge would be Article 115, Malingering but I have never heard of it actually happening only used as a threat by chiefs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
drunk thread's thataway

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Feeble posted:

So I'm kind of considering joining a branch of the military, don't know which yet because my life atm is kind of going downhill. I'm midway through college but most likely I'm going to drop out soon because I've been a lazy gently caress up who procrastinates way too much for my own good, which means my parents sure as hell aren't going to continue paying my tuition. I'm kind of leaning towards national guard right now because looking at their education benefits on http://usmilitary.about.com/ they apparently cover 100% of the cost for Ohio state schools which is what I'm attending. I assume their coverage depends on what kind of degree I'm going for but since that's medical technology I don't really see that being an issue. My only real reservation about it right now is that, simply put, I'm a scrawny motherfucker with the muscle mass of a rubber band which is obviously something I'd need to fix before hand. Honestly I kind of feel like the reason I've been procrastinating so much is that I've kind of been going through a slump for well...the past few years really, and I feel forcing myself to go through basic training and being shouted at by a drill sergeant might actually be just the thing to pull me out of it and help me get back on track.

Am I being a massive idiot for even considering this or does this actually seem remotely feasible? Obviously I'm happy to provide more information if you guys need it to chew me out.

Read the OP. There's a flow chart for cases just like you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sforzacio posted:

You know that Katy Perry video where her boyfriend cheats on her so she gets even by joining the Marines and is like, "This is the part of me that you can never, ever, ever, take away from me~"

There are many, many parts of you that the military can and will always, always take away from you.

Including joints and sense organs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I can't speak to the Air Force side of this, but oh my gently caress don't go to law school. If you go back far enough, you'll see some stupid posts from me where I was contemplating enlisting in the US Navy Reserve as a Cryptologic Technician and after that the Air National Guard. Sucked it up, now I'm going to community college and taking IT classes, scheduling certification tests in the near future while I'm also in the screening/hiring process for a job with Customs and Border Protection. (I'm a GiP success story now :downs:)

I graduated from law school in 2011. Let that sink in. If you still have any "yeah but my mom's friend's kid is making bank" type stuff bubbling to the top of your mind, squash that poo poo and read this thread I wish I had known about in 2007 and 2008 when I made the bad decision to go to law school. The market is lovely, don't bet six figures of debt that you will special snowflake your way into a high-paying job. Hell, most of my good friends from law school are making under $50,000/year and working crazy hours; the smartest one of them (3.6 law school GPA) is now looking for work in the Seattle/Tacoma area because the solo practitioner he was employed by is not getting enough clients and can't afford to pay him the 20 hours/week he was getting.

To add to this, a lawyer acquaintance of mine just got enough of a raise at the firm to stop needing to deliver pizzas at night to make ends meet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Xeom posted:

What branch would best be able to put my chemical engineering degree to good use? Or would my degree not really be that useful to the military?

Your degree's field is entirely irrelevant to the military.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

So... I just decided to look in to the Navy Reserve because my job sucks and learning something new seemed good. I got a 97/99 in the test today. I dont even know were to begin to narrow down what I should look at.
So my question is... Is anybody unhappy with a field they went into? Anything I should pass up as full of poo poo even if it sounds good? I'm considering MA due to some police academy schooling but thats about all I got so far. Not interested in anything HSLD/combat oriented. I'm giving some sort of trade be it electrical or mechanical a thought as something that would help me outside.

MA is not a good choice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

An Inquisitive Bean posted:

I have thought about going into the Navy just because I come from a long line of Navy folks. My one reservation about the Navy is the idea of working on the carriers though. I don’t know how I feel about being indoors for 6 months at a time.

I know it sounds lame but I would like having the option of sitting in the sun once and while.

I probably should research ship life before crossing them off completely though.

Um, carriers don't submerge. You can go topside whenever flight ops aren't happening and at least look out the hanger doors at other times.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

If you're enlisting in a peace time military, for fucks sake join the goddamed Coast Guard, they at least still have a job to do so they can't get AS far up their own rear end with decorum and pointless parading

Or the Navy where they still deploy around the world and do exercises in places like Japan instead of places like Fort Leonard Wood in peacetime.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

People don't believe me when I say that they don't really need to be able to swim to join the navy. They are surprised that army swimming reqs are sometimes more stringent.

Yeah, I passed third class swimmer and never cared about it again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Is she even aware that the kind of analysis she expects to do is done at the Pentagon by colonels, lieutenant colonels and civilians with decades of experience? Booz Allen Hamilton or SAIC by civilians with a way higher paycheck?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mud Shark posted:

Yeah that's about what I figured. I'm not gonna lie, SF Boat Patrol sounds pretty dope provided you get stationed in Florida and not Alaska or something. Then again, your odds are just as high to be the dude checking IDs at the gate.

As long as I can mitigate my chances of:
1) Getting blown up
2) Being in a career field that is deployed more than it isn't

Then I'm fine with whatever really. Linguist doesn't sound bad at all, especially if you don't get stuck with a class 4 language or whatever. Then again I failed out of high school Spanish but that was more due to not giving a poo poo at the time. Pretty sure it is also carrying a massive enlistment bonus right now.

You say this until you realize deployment is where the money's at.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this question isn't so much about wanting to join up as it is about settling a bet, so if you guys would rather not answer I understand!

Anyways, my wife is a doctor and the other day she got a letter in the mail saying that she should join the army reserves as a physician. She said she would never do it because boot camp would kill her, but I said that over at OCS the heaviest thing she would ever have to lift would be a coffee mug. Who was right? Would a doctor in their 30s go to the same candidate school as a 22 year old fresh out of college? Thanks!

Docs, lawyers, and chaplains go to special OCS in which they get taught which direction to pin the rank insignia on and which hand to salute with and that's about it. In my experience, they have a 30% success rate.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Join Sea Org and pretend you're in the military.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

A lot of people who graduated last in their class

The Navy dentists who have done work on me have been at least as good as the civilians and didn't push expensive unnecessary procedures, so :shrug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pkells posted:

Counterpoint: You were smart enough to have a normal civilian college experience without any of the military bullshit getting in the way of having fun.

In my defense, I didn't even know OCS existed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What do NG cooks do anyway? Aren't all Army chow halls staffed fully by KBR?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

Following up on this, an easy major is actually to your benefit as long as it paid off with a good GPA. A 3.5 in "government studies" from East Central Christian College of Des Moines is, to officer selection, better than a 2.0 in electrical engineering from MIT. It's a very good system and it's why we see such top notch talent in our officer ranks.

I met a LTJG who was a Rhodes Scholar.
She was billeted as Auxo on a DDG.
I lol'd.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I scored an 89 on my ASVAB and my line scores qualify me for pretty much anything.

And I'm going infantry. Or something else without a clearance depending on what's available, but at least I know worst case I can get infantry.

Man, gently caress debt.

You might want to start a drinking habit now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Victor Vermis posted:

I got a 93 on the ASVAB, but found out I couldn't get some stuff waived to do what I thought I wanted to do.

After taking a few weeks to think about what I really wanted out of the military, I decided to do infantry. I still think that was the right choice for me.

If you want to enlist because you want a home and a paycheck, pick something more comfortable than infantry.

If you REALLY want to be infantry then at least do it right and go USMC, nerd.

Peacetime USMC infantry :allears:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I graduated with a biochemistry degree a couple years ago with a pretty bad GPA (2.8 for all, like 2.5 for just science classes). Right now I'm 23 and I've been working a couple industry jobs in the meantime, but because I'm insane I've always wanted to work in CDC/biological warfare prevention research.

Would attempting to go for a commission and getting more education through the military help me achieve that goal, or am I really better off in the private sector and just saving up for more schooling? I've been doing some research and I know that there's a huge medical division and some specialized CBRN officers (I copied that off the internet) but I'm not really positive if that is what I am looking for.

I am horribly out of shape and have a contract for another year at where I work, but a year is a long time to work those details out.

Sounds like chem corps is up your alley.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Flight safety experience is valuable. Logistics experience is valuable. Infantry skills...

Or to give a broader rule, the closer a military job is to actual combat usefulness, the less anyone in the civilian world gives a gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManOfTheYear posted:

I've been lurking on GiP for a long as time and i've gotta ask if there is anything good about joining the US military? I don't think anywhere else in SA there is so much usage for the words "gay" and "retarded".

I'm finnish and did the minimum requirement of 6 months in the local self-defence force and it was plenty stupid, but if I'd have had actually motivated team mates it would have been alright and I'm still very glad I did it. Is there anybody in GiP who actually liked being in the military? Are there any good sources for learning what is it like being a regular soldier or a marine in the US military?

Also what other places there are for deployment besides Iraq and Afganistan? Korea, apparently. What is a regular day like for a soldier in Korea? There's a lot I'd like to ask but because I'm not american i really don't know what to ask.

I saved up enough tax-free money to get a Master's degree and buy a house in cash. I have visited some countries which are actually nice, like Italy. I never could have afforded all of that if I had gone directly into teaching.

I loved being at sea, working at sea. The good days were great, I loved the leadership aspect and the feeling of accomplishment when things came together. It's just that the mountain of bullshit I needed to wade through every day to get to those bright spots was just too much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

holocaust bloopers posted:

I cleared over 17,000 bucks in four months from one deployment. That was loving awesome.

Yeah, there's nothing like ringing up a $300 bar tab in one night but it doesn't matter because you didn't have spend any of the previous 5 weeks' tax free pay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MancXVI posted:

Can he really not get hired anywhere with a nuclear engineering degree?

America's not building a lot of new plants.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

I doubt that'll be a problem. Your money spends just as well. And plenty of people do it after realizing their first degree is worthless.

No school I looked at would accept second bachelor's students.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

In case anyone's wondering, this is NOT a joke. If you can't pay them, they will take it from your paychecks, and they won't do it in such a way that you have to tighten your belt a little. One of the Lts in my ABM class came from the San Jose area. They overpaid his BAH for several months while he was doing a recruiter assistance program waiting for ABM training to start. Well, when that was identified, he was living on something like $400 (down from like 2400) a month in Panama City, FL.

When I was in ROTC they paid a few of us the entire year's stipend in one month. The unit said we needed to pay it back so we did but of course the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing so for the rest of the semester until we got it unfucked I got no money. I was loving starving and having to rely on my roommate to pay the bills.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So what I'm getting from the flowchart at the start of this thread is that if you're in college you shouldn't join ROTC/the military. Can I have a detailed reasoning for this? I've been looking into ROTC because:

1. My parents and grandparents were in the military
2. I'd like to travel the world a bit.
3. I can get my undergraduate paid for.
4. Looking for some structure/direction in my life.
5. I want a use for the Japanese I'm learning and believe it could be utilized in the military.

I'm not sure why I shouldn't try— anyone willing to give me a cold slap of reality?

(Extra context: I'm going for an Economics degree, but I figure this won't really matter in the grand scheme of it all.)

The flowchart is about not enlisting with a degree.
Enlisting means you go to the recruiter, sign on the line to be a hardcore 92A Automated Logistical Specialist, go through boot camp, and become Private Fuckstain, Latrine Cleaning Warrior.

If you have or can get a college degree and want to join the military, you should go for a commission. This means going through ROTC or OCS and becoming 2LT Fuckstain, in charge of many Privates Fuckstain and making more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Having a IEP is a Disqualifer for the Air Force?

I'm pretty sure that's an "individual education program".

Anyone who struggles in elementary school can get one.

Yeah, it means you were in special ed at some point.

• Locked thread