Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Go take some classes at a community college or CLEP if the Army will count them for the purposes of enlistment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Interestingly enough, Eisenhower was only a COL when WWII started.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to go with go for it. Depression to me sounds like more of a barrier to entry than being granted a clearance. Just don't lie.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How many pounds are we talking? Enough that drinking a half gallon of water and eating a huge meal wouldn't help?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

gently caress that, just eat the most unhealthy gigantic fast food meals possible with large milkshakes, fries, etc. maybe get some weight gainer products (mostly sugar mixed with protein to be honest) to eat between meals.

Drink a buch of liquids/eat a large meal before you go to MEPS. Don't poop.

Go to your pantry and grab a jar of peanut butter. You can do this.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I like stuff posted:

From reading the last thread it was made clear that enlisting active duty with a degree is a horrible idea.

But is there any consensus here about the reserves? I'm considering joining the reserves if I can get TS/SCI and drill within a reasonable distance of the northern Virginia/DC area.

If this isn't a bad idea would it matter on what branch I joined? The talks of the Army reserve going to 7 weeks AT has me worried on how that would affect my employment opportunities, so I've been leaning Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

Find ARNG or Army reserve unit with 35 series slots. Presto.

I'm sure you can find one in NOVA of all places.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Don't flunk out of DLI. I've no idea what it's like for AF linguists otherwise but the Army linguists I work with have a great job.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah, that's what I want to do, analyze the intelligence brought in and put together products. I do understand and accept that I might not end up in military intelligence because it's the freaking military and going where the Army wants you is part of the package.

By the way, why doesn't the Find a Recruiter site have a search agent for officer recruiters?

You pretty much described what enlisted 35F (Intelligence analyst) do. If you branch intel as an officer, you're going to mostly be a manager as most actual analysis is done by enlisted/WO at the brigade and below.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

List them, if they care enough about them they'll contact you for more information or get it from other sources.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not supposed to talk about basic training? Wut.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

NCOs yelling at lower enlisted why I never! :wink:

But seriously, either she was being retarded/wrong or they were being a dick. There is an equal chance of one of these things being true here.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

French Foreign Legion.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I dunno what the Navy does for PT but if you're a woman doing 30 pushups a set you're going to have absolutely zero problems with upper body strength. In fact you're probably going to get max points on anything involving pushups.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

BUSH 2112 posted:

Ugh, that sucks. Thanks for the info, though. I'm still gonna go through with it as far as I can. It just really pisses me off because I didn't want the drat pills in the first place.

If that fails try the ARNG or other reserve components. They might be more forthcoming with waivers.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Don't sign until you get what you want. I dunno how hard it is to get an airborne slot as active duty infantry right now but maybe HCT can shed some light on that. But if that's absolutely what you want, go for it. For what it's worth 13F is supposed to be pretty good among the combat arms MOSes but that's just anecdotal on my part.

It's your life.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The friends I have from AIT are in their early 30s and 35 series on active duty. One of them seems to enjoy it quite a bit (and seems to be getting quickly groomed for leadership positions) while the other hates life. Both of them enlisted with degrees, one after being unable to get an OCS slot.

I'm around your age and it isn't bad at all being an older E4 in the ARNG. Although the unit I'm in isn't filled with retards either. But then again in the RC, I see lots of SPC that are probably over 40. Sucks to be them. Either way it takes a bit of humility, just do your job without complaining and act mature.

Have you asked them about an age waiver for OCS?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 20, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There might be a hard wage limit for WOCS for flight warrants but I can almost guarantee that age waivers for OCS exist. Who knows if it's possible to get one now but it seems like your recruiters either know it's impossible right now or are just too lazy to try and get you one. One thing to remember that if you go O there is no guarantee that you're going to get MI as it's one of the most popular branches (#2 or #3 AFAIK); you might wind up branched Chem or something. :laugh:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 20, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'd suggest considering the reserve component of whatever branch interests you if you're older. It's what I did and i've enjoyed it a lot. Getting to do the military thing while not having your day to day life micromanaged like you're a retarded teenager. Edu benefits aren't as good out the gate on the federal level but some states will give you a free ride to school as a member of the RC.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

DrCuntmuffins posted:

You've only been in for a year and a half and you're an E-4?

gently caress the air force promotion cycle :smith:

Waivers to SPC at 18 months TIS in the Army. :smug:

Does it really take 36 months to hit E-4 in the AF?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Is it possible to get your RE upgraded? The Guard at least might waiver a RE-3. Even if you do get back in though, you're probably going to have to do Army BCT since you haven't gone through USMC or Army basic. Have fun.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think Shimazu is right here from my limited perspective. Obviously enlisting with a degree to be combat arms is dumb. Being an officer is great for some. Personally I have a limited desire to manage a large group of people.

As an example here there is a SSG in my company with a PhD who is an actual college professor. Exceptionally knowledgable as an analyst and great to learn from given the academic background. From my perspective, being enlisted in an intel unit is great. The amount of bullshit is low and we don't get treated like poo poo.

Granted this is the Guard and I doubt you will find much in the way of college professors in the active side of things.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I wonder if this program is an active duty only thing. Even with a non-signal MOS I still get to play with a lot of computer stuff including some Cisco routers so I suppose I might have a justification in going.

I'll take some free certs if they're handing them out.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Afaik, there is a rule for getting promoted to E4 if you had a bachelors degree but didn't have the documentation at the time of enlistment and wind up going in at a lower grade due to that.

It doesn't sound like it applies in your case so you might wind up stuck as a PFC for 1.5-2 years.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Start filling out your SF86 now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wow, what a douche. loving recruiters. Find a non douche recruiter then show up at douche's office all smug looking when you finish your initial training.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK, usually you go right to your duty station after completing IET unless you're heldover for medical, Airborne or something like issues with your clearance.

At least when I went through AIT all my active counterparts with the exception of 1-2 went directly to their respective duty stations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Marry a stripper and give her a general power of attorney.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

See where it's at is being RC and getting to live in the barracks and collect full BAH while on active duty orders. $400 rent, $9xx BAH. :smug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

See if the Army will take you as a 35P.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Have you considered the USMC Reserves or ARNG? You can do your combat arms thing without signing the next 3-6 years of your daily life away. As an alternative suggestion certain linguist jobs will have you closely supporting combat arms without actually dealing with moto retard lets grind our knees into dust poo poo. I'd look at 35P or 35M and their USMC equivalents. Both of those jobs (maybe no language training as a new 35M on active duty) will give you a TS/SCI and a language plus skills that probably are actually worth something as a civilian.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 5, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Right now it's difficult to go active from the Guard or Reserve due to restrictions on prior service. Right now it's limited to a select few MOSes. Also your reserve unit will need to release you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What job?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So try for 35Q/P/S/N and their USAF equivalents if the Navy won't waiver it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Do you know anything about putting people in for WOCS (Technical, not aviation)? Apparently it's possible to apply for active duty WOCS from the RC or so I've read.

The gist of it is -> Apply, get accepted, get conditional release from RC, enlist active duty for WOCS from what I gather. Not that I'm interested or qualified for that now, but something to keep in mind down the road.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 23, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, the Army will put you in as a PFC (E-3) with an associates which is a nice little pay bump over a new E-1. Also a year ahead in rank compared to people who come in as an E-1 although you'll take the same amount of time to make E-4.

If you want to do IT stuff in the military I'd look at 25 series (not sure on the particular MOSes as I'm not signal) or 35T (This requires a TS/SCI so you'll need low unsecured debt, decent credit and no felonies at the very least) on the Army side. I wager the AF is even better if you want to do IT but probably harder to get a contract for.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

On getting a MOS or clearance? No. You might need a medical waiver though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Same for the Army, I needed an ADD waiver since I was treated up until the age of 14 or so.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AFAIK, age cutoff for Guard OCS is 42, at least according to a collegue of mine.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

gfanikf posted:

Yeah, but the difference between mentally ill and dangerous and ADD are like night and day.

Oh well can someone humor me and tell me what I would have been able to get entering the AF or Marines with a BA, MA, and JD (licensed in two states) and being just shy of 30. Perhaps reality will help me let it go. lol

Get off meds/treatment for a year and get a waiver if you want to join bad enough. Although you'll probably be limited in choice of branches.

Edit: gently caress you auto spell.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Uh it's not like you're going off anti-depressants or something. It's loving adderal.

If you're that dependent on it you probably won't qualify for a waiver at any rate.

• Locked thread