Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sasgrillo posted:

Also just one other thing. I'm not as familiar with the officer side of things. If on some chance I was accepted into Air Force or Navy OCS how exactly does job selection work then?

For the Air Force, there are (basically) two separate boards that consider applicants, one for rated jobs (which are pilot, navigator, and air battle manager), and one for non-rated (everything else besides lawyers, doctors, and chaplains, they're totally separate). You can apply to both boards, and they're generally not at the same time.

For rated, you can put all three jobs down if you qualify, but you can just put one if you want. When you get selected for OTS, you get selected for one of those jobs specifically.

For the other board, iirc you get to pick five...there is NO guarantee that you'll get any of them. When you get selected for OTS, that's it. You go, and about 6-8 weeks in (I don't remember) you'll find out what your job will be.

ethanol posted:

I want intelligence. Because I'm so loving intelligent. Hey if they want to DQ me because I'm honest about it, then it isn't the outfit for me. But it seems like that isn't the way it works. But seriously, if somebody has done the drug waiver, what does it mean? How long does it take? I've already heard the risks of lying and not lying.

The situation is different now than when anyone here joined. For the past decade, the military would take almost anyone with a pulse. I know a guy who got picked up for an officer slot with a DUI on his record. That poo poo won't fly anymore...they don't need people that badly. In fact, they're trying to get rid of as many people as possible. It's competitive to do ANYTHING worthwhile now.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The next eighteen replies will be variations of JESUS CHRIST DON'T loving ENLIST WITH A DEGREE.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If so, it'll be the ones that have long and expensive training. I only know of a few on the officer side, like the 3 rated flying gigs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And you can't enlist as OSI, you have to have a few years in doing something else first, then you get to apply.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get him to write it anyway. You don't have to use it if it comes off too goony. Remember, guys, until recent budget cuts the Air Force actually used a loving Starcraft mod in officer PME.

Edit: it was more fun than Starcraft 2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

You could try air force, I met a dude who did some welding and poo poo on aircraft. That's about all I know on the subject though.

Most of that is privatized.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EAB posted:

I'm 26, too old to join air force.

Last I heard the cutoff was 27.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No. They're looking for irresponsible debt, or stuff you're so far behind on that you might consider taking bribes, that sort of thing. It's not just "debt=bad." If that money was on credit cards, for example, and you were six months behind.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nullandvoid posted:

Debt, however, will gently caress your poo poo up.

In general, no it won't.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

For the Air Force, they're enlisted. My recruiter was a MSgt (E-7) who retired, then I was handed off to a TSgt (E-6).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

That sounds like a terrible idea. Most of the recruiters I've met were barely able to keep track of the enlisted commitments and the programs available to them, I couldn't imagine the wrench when they get people trying to become officers.

That's what happened when they did it a few years ago. It didn't last long.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nope. In fact, talking about it ever again is pretty much guaranteed to get you a bunch of poo poo from everyone around you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Keep in mind that you'll be seeing the worst doctors in the country, as a general rule.

Between growing up with AF doctors and then all the flight docs I had to deal with while I was in, I've seen exactly ONE doc that I'd be willing to go to on the outside. The rest can suck a dick.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

That's better than no doctors, isn't it? Seriously, I can't even get the flu right now.

That's debatable. I'm uninsured and it's not all bad. I know I won't be misdiagnosed again anytime soon and have my career threatened by some jerkoff who doesn't know what a broken bone looks like on an xray, or can't tell appendicitis from a kidney stone. (just 2 of my military medical adventures)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

Really man, that poo poo happens all the time outside. In my last year of college, some doc told me I had a heart murmur (went in for my last insured checkup), ordered an EKG, proceeded to misread the EKG, proceeded to send off the wrong EKG results to the next doctor, who told me I was due to die of cardiac arrest any time, rescheduled me for another appointment for a second opinion and physical tests, who redid EKG, and then told me I was fine, couldn't hear a heart murmur, and he had no idea what the previous two doctors were up to, and that had I kept seeing them, I would have been unable to get a loving loan for the rest of my life because people who die suddenly of heart problems don't get loans. All this for $1000.

I'm really hoping to hear what jobs are the ones to list as top five for the recruiter and maybe we can forget about how lovely enlisting is for a few posts here?

I realize it happens sometimes. What I'm saying is that it happened EVERY time. This isn't the thread for it, but I've got stories upon stories between myself and a couple of coworkers of poo poo that should never happen, but it happens consistently because job #1 isn't to make you better, it's to put your rear end back in the seat asap. This isn't the thread for it, but next time there's a medical rant in the AF or civ threads I'll probably post some of the more entertaining ones.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 1, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Even if they did overlook the list of issues, you would absolutely hate your life. Good call on moving past this idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What is the point of that anyway? And how do you fail?

Edit: I loving stood up to turn around because I'm retarded and can't follow directions, and I still passed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You won't take it until you're actually at OTS. You'll take it several times there, and the only one you have to pass is the last one. However, if you fail one of the earlier ones your privileges will be curtailed and you'll be in remedial PT...it looked like it sucked. Keep working on it, but don't stress too hard over it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Punkey posted:

So, after 8 months of working my rear end off for the AF Line Officer recruiter (who couldn't be loving bothered to show up for the meetings that SHE loving scheduled) and getting in shape, I just got the word handed down that the Air Force is not interested in my service at this time. So, that loving sucks. I crushed my AFOQT (lowest percentile 88, 3 percentiles of 95+), I know my letters of rec kicked rear end, and the captain that did my interview all but showed me the high marks, so...I guess this is just a case of poo poo loving Happens.

Instead of just spending tonight blowing through a few bottles of beer, I'm knuckling down and thinking long and hard about what to do next. I still feel like I want to pursue the military as a part of my career, if not my career, but I'm putting serious thought into reexamining which branch. I applied for AF Intel as my first option, and intelligence is still my primary area of interest. I pursued the Air Force first because it's the go-to for high tech and that's one of my big interests, but I don't have my heart set on that branch in particular, I'm more interested in intelligence work in general, using my head to put poo poo together and figure out what's going on. Army Intelligence seems interesting, but I've heard all sorts of horror stories about organizational clusterfuck up and above the other branches, but I want to know what you all have to say about that.

So, I ask you fine folks, what's a newly-jilted military officer applicant to do?

Well, what is this magical "career" you have planned out for yourself? If you've got that part figured out, pursue it. You can keep applying for OTS in the meantime.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Can you even major in military science? I thought it was only a minor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sasgrillo posted:

This is the #1 AFSC on my "jobs list" that I'll be talking to my recruiter about whenever I get to actually meet him. Although reading around I heard that if you fail the DP test at MEPS you are automatically disqualified. Which sounds lovely especially considering the number of people who said the test is poorly administered. Is there any truth to that?

Assuming DP=depth perception, I failed it at MEPS for a flying position. As long as I passed it at my actual flight physical I was fine (I did, and yes the MEPS version is worse because you're stressed out and feeling rushed etc, even though there's no need to do so...calm down, it's not hard).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Valley Stared posted:

Just wait. I get accepted to OCS back in December, thought I was leaving in January, was told "We don't have any money" and just got my ship date three weeks ago.

Then the other day I got an e-mail saying, "Hey, they moved your date from July to August. Have fun!"

Keep in contact with your recruiter/the OCS person. Especially the OCS guy if you can get him/her to speak with you about what's going on.

I waited about 5 months to hear the verdict and had less than 3 weeks' warning before my report date.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, those days are gone. I commissioned with a poo poo GPA (below 3.0) in psychology. Got selected by my first board to OTS. A recruiter wouldn't even look at me in the current climate. That's not to say a non-technical degree is a disqualifier, but expect to compete against people with engineering and aeronautics degrees with near-4.0s.

Oneday for Life posted:

Get a cake job, use and abuse everything they offer you, then get out and make bank with a 6 figure contracting job in a foreign country.

Good luck with this too. Overseas contracting jobs were easy to find when we were fighting two wars. It's gonna be a lot tighter in the next couple of years. Hell, it already is. That said, get a cake job, use and abuse everything they offer you, then get out and make bank with all the poo poo you wrangled from the system.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

piL posted:

Thanks Godholio! I've heard that I should have to do a PT test a month before I go, and that hasn't happened yet so it's been my reasoning that at this point I'm always going to be at least a month out. On further reflection, I don't really know enough to be certain that that actually has to happen.

My recruiter never made me do a PT test prior to leaving. I've never heard of that being a requirement. You should be working on your own poo poo, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It is absolutely false. There is a large Navy detachment (multiple squadrons) at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, for example.

Edit: I assume that most of the Navy is near the coasts, but there's plenty of stupidity to go around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Don't you get like 25 points for spelling your name correctly?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shyduck posted:

Just do a courthouse wedding and then do a real wedding later on. I know several who have done that.

This...assuming these people have their heads on straight. Otherwise they should wait so it never happens and they don't ruin their lives.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OALilbKNSYI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In 2010 I found a binder full of performance reports for SNCOs and officers from the mid-90s. SSNs, full names.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mustang posted:

Well the irritating part is MEPs won't let me take the ASVAB until my first/last name are in their correct positions. And the ASVAB is the only thing holding me back from progressing through to the next step of my OCS packet. Possibly causing me to miss the August OCS board.

And the weird thing is last monday I went in to sign my 'projection' I believe it was called but my recruiter wasn't there like he was supposed to be, it was another guy. And he said my name was fixed and my recruiter would call me to setup an ASVAB test date. He never did and when I talked to him he said my name still wasn't fixed.

I just can't believe one illiterate mofo can gently caress something up for nearly a month. That or my recruiter is just blowing smoke up my rear end while he does something else.

Get used to this. This is EXACTLY what it's going to be like EVERY TIME you need something done. I'm not even joking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You need to look VERY HARD at the specific military services and career fields that can further your chosen career. In general, enlisting with a college degree is a terrible loving idea. The only exception (IMO) is when there's a certain job that can actually build your experience level and directly help your post-mil career.

With a degree you could, theoretically, apply and be accepted for officer training...but these days it's a really long shot. In the AF, a foreign service liason officer is a second career...you do your assigned job for 4+ years then you retrain and get a new AFSC. It's highly competitive and foreign languages might be explicitly required (it's at least an unwritten requirement).

First thing's first: you need to identify exactly what you want to do, then look at what options the various military services offer that can actually help you and how likely it is that you'll get that job rather than being some kind of truck mechanic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

Man that isn't a minor detail. You literally need to lose a hundred pounds before you can join. A recruiter will not even talk to you until you bring that down to like 230 or less.

I don't know if the old height/weight standards are still in place (I think I remember hearing they went away in the big PT test remake), but I'm 73" and my max allowable weight to join was like 204.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Don't put your GPA on your resume. You have a CS degree, just make yourself sound really important with a ton of prior experience (each year in school counts as 1 year experience).

No kidding. I know someone who was 3 semesters into an IT degree and was hired at the loving interview with no professional experience (job at the time was as a secretary). Post-probationary period pay is roughly what I made as a 2Lt, with arguably better health benefits (definitely better, but it costs more than zero).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

How easy would it be to join the Coast Guards as a reservist?

Right now due to ADA quotas they're only taking disabled applicants. Are you missing or unable to use any limbs? Are you grotesquely overweight? Do you ride the free shopping rascal at Walmart?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Learn to enjoy this sensation, or you're going to hate your life.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Haha. Welcome to the military!!

It seems to me that people looking to join, or who just pass through GiP probably don't believe most of the stuff in here, or at least think it's mostly exaggeration. After all, no organization could be so cripplingly inefficient and self-destructive, especially with such an important role, right?

WRONG.

Every time you need something done that relies upon another military unit (and often someone within your own) you can expect it to be a pathetic display of work ethic. When I mock the Finance office for only being open from 10-2, I AM NOT MAKING THAT UP. That is (or at least was, I left last year) literally the office hours of an office that services Tinker AFB and it's 80,000+ personnel. When I mention that I was literally bleeding while recovering from surgery but I had to personally hand physical paperwork to the MPF to use convalescent leave AND THEY TURNED ME AWAY I'm not making that up (fortunately our squadron secretary took care of it for me so I could go home). The six months it took for them to fix the error made when I JOINED the Air Force is also not made up (this error almost cost me over $20k, if I hadn't noticed it while outprocessing the military)...nor the fact that they lost all kinds of personal identification not only for me but for my son.

For some reason, despite those experiences being so normal that when something actually works the way it should it becomes a big discussion topic, you won't see anything like it on the AF website. Can't imagine why.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

I'd like some information on what sort of bullshit to expect and look out for when I go to the recruiter to start my application process into Air Force Officer Training School.

But first, let me throw out a laundry listed summary of relevant "stuff" I bring to the table.
-Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice (3.92 GPA and "Magnum Cum Laude" honors)
-Associates Degree in Emergency Management (3.06 GPA and no honors)
-Three years of experience doing private security ranging from rent-a-cop duties to surveillance investigations.
-Worked with police and government information services via internships.
-Can pass the Air Force PT test today.

From what I understand about the officer selection process, they select individuals based on the "whole package" approach, but I heard it has a lot more to do with test scores and leadership experience than anything else. I also have been told that they select individuals who would fit into an officer position that uses what they bring to the table. To me, that translates to security forces, intelligence, and Office of Special Investigations. Personally, my number one pick would be OSI over the other two, but will most likely get stuck in security forces since I heard it's hell on earth and worked a security contract along side them state-side.

The reason why I want to join as an officer is to get the officer experience and responsibility that comes along with it. I want to be challenged, as my current rent-a-cop job has me deadlocked at a post where the most challenging part of my job is whatever android puzzle app I happen to be working on at the time. Job security is also a plus. Money and health benefits are a plus too. Right now, I'm not looking to make a career out of military officer, but I'll reconsider if the benefits to bullshit ratio is in my favor.

You can't get picked up for OSI, you have to crosstrain later. Beyond that, it seems to be complete voodoo as far as how they assign OTS selectees. Put down what you want, IIRC you get five choices (I went for a rated board, and there are only three options). Seriously, apply for what you want. Security Forces is the bottom of the loving barrel and if you put it on your list YOU WILL GET IT even if there are better jobs available. See what's out there and PUT DOWN THE JOBS YOU WANT. I'd suggest some good letters of recommendation. It doesn't matter so much WHO they're from as long as they make it sound like you're the most responsible and trustworthy person they've ever met. For example, one of mine was signed by a coworker (I wrote it), but it was worded so it sounded like he was a supervisor.

Seriously, that clip is what made me put Archer on the list of poo poo to watch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

If you don't mind answering, what is/was your rate? Pilot? ABM? CSO?

I was an ABM, got out last year. Unless things have changed, you can apply to both rated and non-rated boards. And I doubt things have changed...but obviously it comes down to whether you want/qualify for the rated jobs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^That all sounds right to me. What do you fly?

Pilot, nav, and ABM all have different vision requirements, with pilot the strictest and ABM the easiest. Look up the requirements for the different flight physicals for specifics, I can't remember what they are.

If you get selected by a rated board, you'll get a flight physical before OTS...you might get DQed or they might be willing to issue a waiver (I needed a vision waiver, for example). Generally I don't think waivers are easy to get these days; there are plenty of guys just as qualified that DON'T need a waiver to get in. But in this case you'll have already been selected so it seems like they'd let it slide and grant the waiver. BUT, this is the loving Air Force, so logic plays almost no role in decisionmaking. I also don't know how seriously a rated board looks at the MEPS results. It was a whole different world when I went through in 2004. I probably could've slipped through there with a limb missing.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 13, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DocImpossible posted:

I've never really believed that military service would magically fix everything in my life. Just maybe make me a little less of a gently caress up. Hopefully it would point me in the right direction at least.

We got one of my airmen discharged because he tried this. Not counting tech school, he had about 6 months in the "real" Air Force and was lazy and worthless when they tried to toss him the first time. Paperwork didn't have all the I's dotted and T's crossed, so over the next 3 months we let him be himself and BAM...discharged.

The military isn't a loving babysitter. For reference, this guy just couldn't get himself out of bed on time, missed all kinds of appointments, vanished from work, took naps on the shitter, and was just consistently so pathetic at his job that the whole time he was in an operational flying squadron, he NEVER finished getting fully qualified.

Edit: If you're not completely worthless and a drain on the intelligence in the room, it might work out for you. But at least honestly assess how big a fuckup you are.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Christoff posted:

What job? And lol female have fun with that! A-school will be a blast!

...of seamen semen.

• Locked thread