Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Hey check out this cool gif I made for ya'll.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I've tried it with BMPs, PNGs, JPGs and non-moving GIFs, nothing works. I think there's something weird with how my version of audacity imports or exports data, because the images don't load after I pass them through Audacity without otherwise altering them.

edit- If anyone has a similar problem, open Preferences > Import/Export > make sure "read directly from source file (fastest)" is selected. It works for me now. You can also set it so you don't have to futz with metadata tags while exporting. And yeah switching to BMPs helped immensely. Gallery of what I made so far.

(Edit: glad you figured it out, post your results!)

For anyone else, these steps have given me the best results in terms of uncorrupted images.

The settings I use are this:

Start with a file that is already in the bmp format. Import as raw data and as U law/ big endness(sp?).

I never interfere with the first and last seconds of any track.

When you go to export, make sure you export it with the same law/endness you chose when importing it the first time. Make sure you're typing the .bmp file extension to the name of the exported material.

You should try these steps before doing anything with regards to databending just to make sure you're getting functional files in the first place.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 7, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

toiletbrush posted:

If anyone wants the Processing file I can stick it up on pastebin or something!

Those are outstanding. Could you please?

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Wheany posted:

Content aware scaling/liquid scaling

Just applying the liquid rescale on individual frames gets you this:

So this is awesome and I'm trying to do this right now, but I'm definitely confused with the following step and would be very grateful for some assistance.

quote:

But what if you were to apply scaling in the time domain? If you take the same row of pixels from each frame of animation and stack them on top of each other, you'll get something like this:

Now if you scale that down vertically by half and then reconstruct the images, you get this animation:

Doesn't look that different from the original, just twice as fast. But here is an individual frame that shows how several frames have blended together.

If you liquid rescale the same images and then reconstruct the animation, you get this:

When you applied "the liquid scaling to the time domain", did you use the previously liquid scaled images or did you start that step with the original gif? Also, just to be clear, when you say take the same row of pixels from each frame of the animation and stack them on top of each other, I take that to mean take like the first top 15 pixels of each frame of the image I'm working with and combine them into what would be the first frame and then take the next set of upper most 15 pixels and stack those on what would be the second frame of animation? I also take this to mean that I should be taking enough pixels per row so that the resulting stack is twice the height of the original gif dimension in order to be able to scale the resulting images back to the previous gif dimensions?

I'm trying to start simple so I'm using a gif that's got 17 total frames and has a pixel height of 260.

Edit: After really looking at your example, I think I'm doing this wrong.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

TheLastManStanding, and you too Wheany, are fanfuckiingtastic.

I know only the most basic of coding and those scripts are like manna from heaven.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

LastManStanding, thank you so much for the scripts.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

drat straight it is. Or was.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Sentiments appreciated itsgotmetoo.

David Pratt posted:

This is so much fun. I managed to get some kind of faux-colour image from a b+w source by using three different phaser settings in audacity, then recombining to RGB.

This is a fascinating picture by the way. I tried your method using Churyumov comet as a base image. Added a splash of echo to it.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

A collection of pixel sorted abandoned malls around Ohio.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

This is killer.

I'm assuming you're still using audacity for the last set of pictures? If so can I inquire what effects you used?

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 7, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

60's Japanese fashion magazine scans make great material.

Also some gross dude eating pizza without a shirt on.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

A combination of LastManStanding's processing code posted in this thread, ASDF Pixel Sort script for processing, and a stand alone program called Pixel Drifter.

All three were used on the first image and pixel drifter was used for the last two.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Steak posted:

I know you can pay for Pixel Drift, does that open up more options that let you move bigger chunks of the image around? I notice there are a lot of grayed out options in mine and everything I do is kind of just a fancy pixel sort.

As a stand alone program for 15 dollars, I'd say it's worth it. It does have a handful of other options regarding sorting and parsing (allowing you to do the whole "move big chunks around" thing) along with the ability to save individual frames so you can make gifs.

TheLastManStanding posted:

If you're like the other people who have had trouble, it's either because you're bad at copy pasting, you aren't copy pasting every file in the folder (you need all the files for it to work), or you aren't putting your image file in the correct folder (some scripts require the file to be in a folder labeled '/data').

For those of you that are as processing illiterate as I am, the data folder needs to be placed in the lib folder.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 20, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Working on video. This pixel sorting poo poo is like some poetry in motion.

http://i.imgur.com/tCPcyrM.gifv

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

^^That's some cool poo poo Mandlebrot^^

Some of these pieces are probably more "generative art" than glitch art. The next glitch thread should include generative art because that poo poo is fuckin neat.

So this image was made using a program based off the Rutt Etra analog video synthesizer.

These were made using Atkinson and Bayer dither algorithms found in old mac paint and old digital kodak cameras . The last one has a simple drumroll cut applied to it.

And the last two are forgotten pieces I just found.

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 31, 2014

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Ah hell yeah!

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Sparr posted:

What did you use to do the Rutt Etra stuff? I was playing around with something similar in 3-d, (my glitch tunnel video thing earlier, I have another test I need to upload soon I'll post it here), but I was curious how to you got the 'authentic' Rutt Etra look.

There's three options you can use; the first two are video plug ins; one for Quartz Composer and another for Max visual programming . Then there's a webGL program that's stupidly easy to use (http://airtightinteractive.com/demos/js/ruttetra/).

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Cool stuff Boi Hole.

I've spent way too many hours over the last few days learning how to use Blender and other 3d rendering software to decipher this tutorial, but I figured maybe someone else here is already aware of how to use said software and can use the glitch tutorial with ease. Seen some really sweet work done with it.

http://www.srcxor.org/blog/

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 8, 2015

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Delany triangles are fun.

And running images back and forth between triangles and rutt etra algorithms is also fun.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Welcome to the club!

Maduo posted:

I might just make a ton more of these.

These are great.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Hey LastManStanding, here's some stuff I made using your pixel/channel sort code and newest program.

Sarajevo '84

Woodville Mall

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Makin diamond flowers.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

AphexMandelbrot posted:

Take picture.
Run through Processing. Base vectors established; export map. (1)
Second run through Processing. Shadow vectors established; export map. (2)
Call Twitter API via Python. Pull latest tweets.
Check input variable; currently word/mood/etc (the guts used to run my Raspberry Pi Twitter mood lamp).
Compute mood for color (C); compute instances for generative variable (G); compute hashtag use for intensity (I).
(G) and (I) make out some.
Export (G)(I)'s lovechild (A); send with (C) to Processing.
Call image.
Apply (1) vector map to image; fill based on (A) -- (AA)
/// Revise to include a ChillTheFuckOut because it takes around 1.5m on an i7 with 10Gb RAM.
Apply (2) shadow vector map to (AA) -- (AAA).
ASDF Low: 15% full threshold.
ASDF High: 15% full threshold.
/// Done.
Stare. Start digging through friends' profile pictures looking for portraits.
-
Result:

(this was before the fill values for shadow map were finished)

-

:stare:

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Sparr posted:

Could you please give us your proprietary software to make this pwetty pwease?!

I like this one. It runs like poo poo, and constantly stalls out, took forever to get running right, but it's got some neat options in it. You should start with LastManStanding's recommendation (Dmesh) though.

https://github.com/dplockheart/Triangulate-DF

You'll need to install control IP5 in the general processing libraries folder (which can be found by looking it up under preferences in processing, typically found in documents).

http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/controlP5/

I had to uncomment this line under triangulate tab to get the program to run. Hopefully you don't have to deal with that.

"cf.cp5.saveProperties(sketchPath+"/data/tmp/default-properties.ser");"

It lets me make things like this:

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 12, 2015

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

I can't get this one to display an output (I just get the control window), but I immediately recognized the code as a copy/paste from the one I linked above, but with cp5 controls added. It's apparent that he doesn't know how to code since he has a bunch of if statements that look like this:
code:
if(ready == true) { }
and the fact that he's triangulating the mesh every draw cycle. I appreciate what he tried to do, but :ughh: He also renamed all the images to sauce.

So maybe you should get to work on your triangulation program and show how it's done. Hint hint, nudge nudge.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

New Program: (Download) Takes an image and lets you slice up the polygons. It has various blend modes, deletable faces, random slopes, undo up to your last 100 actions, full stroke control, and auto points using two point edge detection (because of geometry, the results will be more abstract than you might anticipate).

As always, your programs are an absolute treat to work with. Seriously, thank you.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Lazarus Tower.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Update: Re Version 2 (Download)
- Updated the menu to the new style
- Added blocks and vertical line modes
- Changed how RGB displacement is calculated (looks much better now).
- Offloaded the displacement to some custom shaders

That last bit means that the shape only has to be remade when switching modes or resolution, so changing line thickness or displacement are instantaneous. The side effect of this is I had to change how the mask worked: Displacement is now based off of both the RGB/Brightness of the main image and the mask brightness, with the upside that they are all individually scalable. It also caused a minor change in how lines are rendered, but it shouldn't be an issue.

This might be something on my end, but I've installed this program on two computers and both times the RE display window opens to white, flashes briefly several seconds later and remains blank. After letting it simmer for 10 minutes the screen turns gray.

I've redownloaded and installed the program, tried running as administrator, made sure java was up to date, and still nothing.

Your previous version still opens and runs.

Edit: I noticed that it has a new folder with GLSL files in it. Do I need to do something with processing 2 regarding shaders?

President Kucinich fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 18, 2015

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Odd. If you're running the app you shouldn't have to do anything. I downloaded it and it's working for me, so the link is fine. Could be an OpenGL/video drivers issue. Were you able to get the other program running (slicer)? If you copy the data folder into the source folder and rename the source folder to Re you could try running it in Processing, which should give an error code if there's a problem.

As a side note, Processing runs on Java 7. The current Java is version 8 and if you update to it it will suggest that you uninstall old versions, which means Processing apps won't run, so you should make sure the version you have is the newest version of 7. (You can have both versions installed as they are independent. Java is silly like that).

Slicer works just fine. Using Java 7.

Followed your advice and received this error.

quote:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot compile vertex shader:
Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:71: error(#164) l-value required: assign "position" (can't modify an input)
ERROR: 0:72: error(#164) l-value required: assign "color" (can't modify an input)
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors. No code generated

Oh well.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

That's a cool shirt.

It worked!

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

LastManStanding, your new RE program runs far smoother.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

And a green screen catastrophe.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU