Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I'm loving the app. I helped out with the Awful app icons on the Android version but I've jumped ship now so I offer my help to the iAwful app. I was wondering if there was any talk of updating the current app icons to more of an iOS 7 interface? I would be down to give it a go if no-one else is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Ah, thanks for the link. I've posted in there now. I see that quite a lot of work has gone into a redesign already and it's looking great. I was maybe thinking of having a go at the main app icon but willing to help in any way really.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm open to ideas here. I think it was spanky the dolphin leading the charge for the "V" icon, maybe they want to defend that choice? I don't have a strong opinion on it.

I don't mind another solution here either. Other than a plus symbol I can't really think of what else to use as a replacement though. Shifting the background color of the listed sub forums would help though. We should do that.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

We must kill the X. And I'm the one that made the X! Apologies. I just wanted to get rid of the end of thread text. If a dash is preferred I can make one. Any other suggestions?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Mo0 posted:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new thread view layout. The number of pages in the thread seems like a superfluous metric to me.

And the alignment for the "killed by" text is inconsistent and I am incredibly picky about that.

I'm fully aware I'm being that guy complaining about change, though, so feel free to ignore me!

The only reason I actively look at the number of pages is really to check if a thread is relatively new or if it's an old huge one. It's irrelevant info for the bookmarks view or any thread in which you've got a last read count on. I wouldn't be against removing that all together but different people have different browsing habits so who knows if it's useful to someone else.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I like the functionality of the last page. We have icons now for all three of those textual buttons. It could look like this for consistency:

|<< @ >>|

Where the @ is refresh icon.

Agree the ornament isn't working. I can mock some up today and post them here if anyone has more ideas. I was thinking a dotted line all the way across? It's sort of difficult cause I haven't seen any use of something like that in other apps. There's no common symbol I'm aware of.

As an idea I just thought of, what if the very end of a thread has, say, half or a third of a screen of excess blank space at the end. No ornament. Enough that when scrolling down you are aware of it. Similar to how it already is when you open a thread with one new post in it that doesn't reach all the way down.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I could get behind this. Too often I am refreshing or skipping to the next page because I am generally reading the top third of the screen and start scrolling.

Could you get the letters to start shaking or flashing as you pull to refresh or go to the next page? If I was genuinely wanting to pull down, it wouldn't bother me, but it might be a visual cue to stop scrolling.

Perhaps a dimming effect? Like the page fades to 50% opacity or something while the pull-to-xxx is in action.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

In dark mode, I'd like to see the title bar darker than the current teal. Something grey or dark blue/purple would work.

That bar would look cool if it matched the bottom bar:

Also - for some reason the thread title is slightly to the right of center. Can this be corrected?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Vote for Bernie.

:golfclap:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Caching 5 pages or something for subway or airplane use would be awesome.

Also, I changed the icons for add bookmark and unmark a while back. We should slip them into the next update :

link

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

How about a down arrow in the empty corner to the right of the username

This is probably the best option. The only thing is you don't always know if you want to flick past a post at the beginning of it.

You know how in the Music app in artist view each album sort of stickies to the top of the screen as you scroll down? Is that a loving nightmare to code? Cause I could imagine that working in this scenario. The username of the current post is up top with the ... Icon and a down arrow for skipping to next post on the right side.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey is it possible and if it is do you think it'd be a cool idea to have a little throbber animation for when pages are loading?

Here's a little rough test I put together today that I think could work:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Oh that's good. What do you need to recieve on your end? A png sequence?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Soricidus posted:

cool but please make the lines join up properly in the middle

For sure. Was just figuring out the motion for a start.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Here's a link to the throbber, I've made it in @1x, @2x and @3x. Let me know if it works!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Is it okay if I steal this for my app? Would be useful as a loading screen when the app starts up.

I'm happy for it to be used in other awful apps, go for it. You should definitely set it to fade out too!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Throbber looks great but for the fact that it is puny on a 6+.

It's puny on my 5s too. I'm thinking of making it as large as the page refresh circle, you reckon that would look better? Would we also be able to raise it up a tad to visually center it more, pokey?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

life is a joke posted:

What is the 6699 thing???? I use the app almost every day and have no idea what anyone's talking about :X

It's just the icon for the quote button - it changed to large 66/99 style quotation marks for one version but now has changed to filled in, smaller quote marks.

/iconchat

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

:siren: Whoever's got the current Awful app icon source files :siren: I need a favour: more sizes!

First up, the main app needs:

• 20ื20pt, @1x and @2x and @3x (i.e. one at 20ื20px, another at 40ื40px, another at 60ื60px) (this is pretty low priority, it's for notifications which we don't actually use (yet) but the gap in the icon set is staring at me)

And the incoming sticker pack needs:

• 60ื45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67ื50pt, @2x
• 74ื55pt, @2x
• 27ื20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32ื24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024ื768pt, @1x

iOS handles rounding all the rects, we just need to fill the space we're given and let iOS do its thing.

I'm probably completely over-specifying this, no offence intended!

The sticker pack icon is a 4:3 ratio. My thinking is the app icon can be repurposed without too much effort (?), maybe mucking with the gradient background and keeping the rating bars centred. I'm also 100% on board with something completely different for the sticker pack! I just thought this would be the quickest to execute on. Happy to change it later too if a brilliant idea arrives.

Hey pokey, I made the app icon and can probably do this over the weekend. I brought it up a while back but would it be worth refining the main app icon a bit while I'm at it or is that opening a can of worms (it obviously is.) I was thinking dialing back the gradient and making the gold bar shape a bit less blocky.

e: Like this:

http://imgur.com/a/vNNZR

(how the hell do we do imgur links here now?)

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 23, 2016

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Preview of coming attractions

Image people (spanky?): I'd like to put the same sun icons as the brightness slider in control center on the sides of the slider, but couldn't find them in a good size anywhere. Got them handy?

e: oh whoops ignore the different color theme, just a leftover from something we were testing awhile back.

drat I like that blue.

Here are the brightness icons.

Working on the iMessage icons now.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

And the incoming sticker pack needs:

• 60ื45pt, @2x and @3x
• 67ื50pt, @2x
• 74ื55pt, @2x
• 27ื20pt, @2x and @3x
• 32ื24pt, @2x and @3x
• 1024ื768pt, @1x

Here you go:

iMessage icons

Notification icons

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey how do I choose how the sidebar acts on may ipad? Sometimes it covers the thread and sometimes the screen displays them side by side.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

ellspurs posted:

On the settings tab, there's a "hide sidebar in landscape" option. When selected, the sidebar will slide in/out on left/right swipes. When deselected, it will sit there permanently and the thread will sit on the other 3/4 of the screen.

Ah , I see now. It was actually deactivated already but needed to be switched on/off to work properly. Thanks!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Potential new throbber I made just now:

Could be good for a change?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Well I've got them here if you want to try it out. Available in blue and grey. Maybe try the blue one on the thread loading page first? :shrug:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

I am deeply ok with the app displaying random throbbers of they're all of this quality.

Yeah I was wondering if it was possible to cycle them for the thread loader. If it is I think we'd need an extra one - 3 seems more deliberate.

Any suggestions let me know.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Love that frog but he'd be a bit of a nightmare redrawing unfortunately. I was thinking maybe this one::roflolmao:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

How about this?

Here's a link to all the png sequences, I've made a slight tweak to the :v: one too to make it a bit smoother FYI.

Link.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 19, 2017

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I guess my last post was too vague, let me try again.

Is it possible that there exists a specific thread, which, when it is listed in someone's list of bookmarked threads, is causing the client on their phone to crash, when they load the list of bookmarked threads?

Possibly the :smugdon: thread. But who wouldn't have that bookmarked?

I have the same issue on my 5. The autoload :niggly: appears from the top then the app crashes.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Skipping a bunch of posts to say sorry for breaking the bookmarks tab, a fix is awaiting App Store review. I will go through the skipped posts tomorrow and hopefully fix more stuff I broke!

Appreciate the time you put into this, Pokey!

I'm using the new theme and enjoying it. There seem to be a few areas where the old themes blue is still in use though that seems a bit jarring. The quote links and the :v: throbber. Is it possible to make those the same blue seen on the 'jump' button when you hit the page numbers at the bottom of a thread?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

Do you have a screenshot? I see what you mean with the OP username, but not the other instance you mentioned. Once I see where it is it should be a quick fix.

The quote links circled here, plus any link --> like this example <--still display in OG blue. The OP color could probably be changed to the same color too.

I think if you could make the blue circled here brighter (like in Filter By Tag) it'd feel better. It's currently dimmer than the unselected icons. Alternatively you could make it white like you have done in the thread view, which looks pretty sharp I think.

Also, I made those additional throbber icons a while ago that would be cool to include, I don't know how easy it is to cycle through them on different page loads though. I can easily change their colour to the new blue if you like and re-export them if you can't re-color on your end?

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2017

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah I'm using a iPhone 5 at the moment at it won't work. I think it's underpowered for such a task. IPad pro works every time.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

arbybaconator posted:

Is offline reading a feature (that I can't find)?

I wanna catch up on some threads on a plane this evening.

The closest you can get is loading up several pages of a thread in advance before you board the plane. The caching works for most things except embedded tweets and maybe animated gifs.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Since updating to iOS11 I've noticed the nav bar on my iPad Pro 12.9 renders the icons and text side by side instead of stacked like before.

Check it out:

e: it seems to render correctly if I disable autohide in landscape mode - still incorrect on portrait mode with the same setting though.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 22, 2017

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

I'm real mad at Apple about it.

How about as a hack we remove the text from those icons instead of doing a huge recode? It might even make for a better look.

Current users will be familiar with the meaning of all the icons. New users know what bookmarks, mail and settings mean from other apps. Forums is fairly obvious, lepers isn't, but hit it once and you'd get it.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

It's an interesting idea, but not really any faster than what we have to do anyway.

The real problem isn't necessarily the tab bar, but the tabBarController. Maybe I'll try doing away with that and seeing what I can do.

Hey you did it! Well done.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Honestly all I would like is some way on mobile to upload an image to imgur and get the drat fuckin url to the .jpg instead of one to an album or post or community or whatever horse poo poo imgur is trying to make itself this week. gently caress imgur and gently caress their product morons with a rusty poker

Another workaround in Chrome is using ‘request desktop site’ to change it from the forums-unfriendly mobile imgur.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Even then all the share links are to a one-image album, not the direct link

Rather than use the hover box with the 'copy' button, instead long press on the image itself, then Copy Link URL.

It's a bullshit but it works that way.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Parent Forum button isn't working for me on the latest Beta. Also, the Beta thread refuses to load for some reason - just a blank screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I remember suggesting a :v: app icon several years ago and I’m super stoked that we finally have one. Best update ever.

Never knew about icon options, I’d love if more apps could make use of this.

It's only been available since iOS 10.3 so it's still fairly new. It's sometimes used in sports apps so you can have your favourite team logo on your home screen.

It's really useful in this case as it's normally so difficult for the community to agree on just one icon to move forward with. I'm open to making more if anyone has ideas, although there aren't that many easily translatable ones left I don't think.

I'm Rockin' the :staredog: at the moment.

• Locked thread