Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EmmyOk posted:

In the next upload of thread tags could you add the pyf tag or equivalent? In fact all the section tags if possible :shobon:?

Reports autogenerate threads in the mod section with their corresponding section tag as the thread tag. When I'm out and about I have to scroll through reports and it's awkward to tell which ones are from PYF. They also all default to the "no tag" icon so I can't filter them by tag.

I had no idea that's how reports work, cool. I'll add it to the list, and if anyone gets inspired to cook up some images we can make it happen.

Stoca Zola posted:

I can't remember seeing this but I just noticed when I'm looking at and replying to PMs in landscape mode, the keyboard covers the message if it's big enough and it won't scroll down to allow visibility for the part where the typing is going. Switching to portrait it seems to work then switching back to landscape seemed to make it scroll (but then I ran into another problem where the keyboard non-letter keys stopped working which could be an iOS thing). Sorry if this is a repeat! Tried it on both my new iPad and old one and same issue exists.

Don't think it's a repeat though we've had similar issues in the past. I'll add it to the list. Out of curiosity, when the non-otter keys stopped working, did the keyboard background turn a weird color (like solid black)? I've seen that a few times but I have no idea what's going on when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Krazyface posted:

I'm also getting the bug with the blank spaces all over the page (with a crash soon after). It's happening two or three times a week now. Using an iPhone 5c.

Will +1.

Krazyface posted:

In less critical news, there's some weird stuff going on with load times. For a long time, the Steam thread would take AGES to load, for just a normal page of text, even when my phone was on the home wifi. This happened when navigating between posts/pages in that thread as well. They recently closed it and started a new one, and now the C-SPAM Trump thread takes forever to load (where previously it took a little longer than usual). As far as I can tell, the longest thread in my bookmarks gets an extra-long load time, for some reason.

Regular Nintendo posted:

I've seen this as well, the throbber will stop and I get the impression it's struggling to parse the response or a core data write is taking forever or something

That's curious, I'll have to try to figure out what's going on here. I don't think I've ever run the scraping or core data-ing through a profiler so I have no idea what takes awhile, what goes quick, and there's probably some low-hanging fruit.

EmmyOk posted:

I can take a look at the images myself if you like! What size do you need them to be? Speaking of the filter though in every section it seems to be faulty currently? I click "filter by tag" and I only have the option for none. On iPhone SE

https://github.com/Awful/thread-tags#readme is where the tags hang out, there's some info there. tl;dr is 90px square, will be shown at 45pt on-device (so @2x images) if that means anything. If you wanna do the GitHub thing by all means open up a pull request there, otherwise just post 'em here and someone will make it happen.

Is the filter blank in the reports forum or other forums too? I've never seen the reports forum so it's possible that it implements a mechanism superficially similar to thread tags but is somehow different in the markup. If it's other forums too, I think I've heard others say the same thing so I can +1 that issue.

Keith Atherton posted:

Here's something that's been happening to me constantly. I'll open GBS or PYF and the thread will auto refresh. But a force pull down refresh will change the threads displayed and the number of threads displayed. Note the scroll bar indicator size.

Auto refresh:

After manual refresh:

It's not a huge deal but kind of a pain to have to manually refresh all the time.

Current iOS version, current app version, iPhone 6

Is there any chance the auto-refresh is failing? We don't show an alert when auto-refresh fails because, well, you didn't ask for the refresh so you probably didn't ask for an alert. So I'm not really sure how you might tell whether the auto-refresh fails. It's ok to say "I have no clue fix this dumb app" and I'll have a look :)

Senator Sprinkles posted:

Makes sense --I read the forums on a VERY old iPad (so take it for what it's worth) but even then, I notice unbelievably slow load times on longer 1k+pg threads compared to skimpy little 1-5pg GBS shitpost threads. Posting now from safari, in fact. Any way to solve or mitigate this, or is it an SA-side issue? First problem i remember ever having w/the app and I'm still really happy I downloaded it years ago, but it makes certain threads unreadable.

Turn off images and avatars in the app, turn off embeds in your User Control Panel? If it's memory pressure then those might help. Otherwise the only answer I have is we need to make the app work more good.

TinTower posted:

There’s a weird inconsistency with line spacing on iOS 11. Quitting the app from multitasking clears the problem up.

Normal:

With bug.

Probably gonna wait until GM to fix up iOS 11 stuff, but I'll definitely make a note and poke around.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Trying to make a thread but the app wouldn't let me scroll down past a certain point to see what I was typing in portrait or landscape.

Does it matter if the keyboard is visible or not? iPhone or iPad?

Chris Knight posted:

Possible bug? iOS 10.3.3, Awful 3.26, iPhone 7. Can't expand any of the sub-forums on the main forum list. Instant crash, even after clearing cache.

Oldie but a goodie! I'll +1 it.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

can someone fix this quote issue i’m having on ios 11 beta 6 tyvm

I tried to do a thing and it doesn't work very well, I think I'll just turn smart quotes off. You can turn it off in iOS settings if you like, in the meantime.

GutBomb posted:

Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

TL;DR: I guess in this case quote=edit.

Oh yeah, I'm on the latest beta of awful on whatever the latest version of iOS 10 is on an iPhone 7 plus.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also experiencing this, running awful beta and ios 11 though.

Another oldie but a goodie! We gotta fix this up.

The Dave posted:

An idea that we had pop up ages ago that I liked was replies/edits acting like composing mail, where you could swipe it down to dock it to the bottom of the screen, and then allow the user to add quotes that way. Destroying their input if they dismiss that pane altogether.

Also titling can be better by appending "Replying:" or "Editing post in:" depending on which action you're taking.

I still like the Mail.app swipe down thing but putting something in the title is the world's easiest quick fix, that's a great idea. Can figure out something fancier later.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

lots of good stuff

This is very helpful overall, thanks! Some more direct responses below.

quote:

Regarding (multi)quoting vs editing, I think the underlying model is a bit broken. It sounds like the first action that scrapes either "newreply.php" or "editpost.php" within the active thread instance sets a hidden state of either "Reply" or "Edit post #[some postid]" for the rest of this active thread instance's lifetime. And the only ways I know of to change thread instances are: tap a quote to go to another post (creates a new thread instance within the thread instance stack, so you can start a new reply to the thread even you'd previously been editing a post); return to a thread listing and tap on a possibly-new thread; or finish your post/edit and submit it while praying it doesn't suck. None of those actions are obviously linked to resetting/clearing the "reply-vs-edit" state.

I do find multiquoting useful in the app, so +1 to keeping the multiquoting functionality, but a big +1 to reworking the quote-vs-edit divide so it's obvious which one is happening and so you can explicitly delete a current edit when you want to instead begin a new reply with a quote. Maybe long-pressing on the square-with-pencil reply icon could pop up a small menu of "Start entirely new post" and either "Resuming current post" or "Resume editing post" (though this could be more discoverable), and putting the "reply-vs-edit" state explicitly in the composing view's title. Or a "delete current composition" button elsewhere. Or something entirely different, as long as it's coherent and discoverable!

You're bang on the money about the hidden state at work here. Exposing that state and making it useful to act on is very much the challenge. I'm partly heartened that you reverse engineered what's going on just by observation (because that means it's not completely impenetrable), but it's obviously disappointing that it takes so much effort to develop the mental model to use the feature.

quote:

Also speaking of the thread instance stack, I've seen an odd piece of behavior. Say you open thread A in your bookmarks, tap a link to thread B from within A, and then tap a link to thread C from B; only thread A is in your bookmarks. Your thread stack is now [Bookmarks, A, B, C], so you can swipe the edges of the screen to navigate up and down this stack. However if you press-and-hold on the < back arrow from thread C, you go all the way back to your Bookmarks (fine) but the stack also gets collapsed to [Bookmarks, C] (less fine), so you can swipe the edge of the screen between Bookmarks and C, but threads A and B are forgotten. Is this intentional behavior? Or is it some kind of strange default with webviews and long-pressing on a "back" button?

Sounds like a strange interaction between the "swipe from right edge to re-pop a screen on to a navigation stack" custom thing we do and the "long-press the back button to pop everything" other custom thing we do. Definitely a bug.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Any chance of adding the link to posts by this user from the profile

Yep, just don't try to pin me down to a deadline! ;)

drawbot posted:

Love the app, but I'm running into two issues on the regular. Attempting to expand a forum in the sidebar to see its subforums crashes the app, or at least resets the app to its most recent opening state; I get kicked back to whatever thread was open when I started the app if it doesn't just close out. I'm also getting the blank filter list issue in any forum I visit. Clearing the cache/logging out doesn't appear to have an effect. iOS 10.3.3 (14G60) on an iPad Pro 10.5.

Sorry about that. I'll +1 both these issues on the ol' todo list. A delete/reinstall might help for now (lovely workaround, I know).

Fedule posted:

Seeing this glitch again. After opening the app from the background, bookmarks (or forums) tab tries to refresh and gets stuck like this with blank space after the first few entries. In this state, clicking any thread seems to result in visiting a different thread from that view. When it happens in the forums tab I can fix it with a pull-down refresh in the main forum listing. To fix it in bookmarks I've gotta quit and reload the app. I've actually seen this glitch in forums for ages but it's recently started happening in bookmarks too now.

It's spreading!

I'll +1 the issue. Sorry!

Taintrunner posted:

I seem to get a random crash when loading a new page several times a day.

That sucks. I'll take a gander through the crash logs and see what I can fix. I'll also check for memory leaks, haven't done that in awhile.

carry on then posted:

Pokeyman set it up so with the next release, smart punctuation is entirely off within the app.

Well, I keep trying to turn it off and it seems to still somehow get turned on sometimes??? so no promises but I'm trying!

Grace Baiting posted:

Bug report: if you have both yospos and other threads bookmarked, then if (from your bookmarks) you open a non-yospos thread followed by opening a yospos thread, the sliding "Parent Forum | Previous Posts | Scroll to End" top bar in the yospos thread will be dark blue like in the non-yospos threads instead of the correct bright amber color.

This issue does not show up if opening a thread directly from the yospos forum itself; if you do activate it, it can be temporarily fixed by switching from the AmberPOS theme to something else and back, but I believe it comes right back if you perform the above steps again.

iPhone 6+, iOS 10.3.3, Awful v3.26

Possibly also important: I use the Dark theme for Awful app generally. I haven't checked if this still occurs in the (default?) light theme.

Thanks! I'll make a note and hopefully we can take a look.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

drat. Authors, any chance of adding this?

There is a non-zero chance.

anthonypants posted:

iOS 11, 6s, Awful 3.26, the bookmarks page doesn't finish rendering the rest of the page and I can't click on any of the threads.

Yeah this is getting worse, not better. I'll look into it.

Crime on a Dime posted:

More crashes than ever it seems, and doesn't take you back to where you were

Edit: to clarify latest non beta iOS and app

I managed to turn off the good crash reporting in 3.26 and 3.27 so this'll be a bit harder than usual to track down. I will say it's not surprising that it loses your place on a crash; the "remember where you are" bit only runs if we don't crash when leaving the app :)

anthonypants posted:

For the record the app was working just fine in the non-beta iOS 11 versions.

That is, the App Store build of Awful running on iOS 11?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am having an issue where the thread tags don't load in SA Mart when I try to filter by tag. The tags load when I just view SA Mart but if I go to filter all that shows up is the "No Filter" icon

Example:

I'll +1 this issue, you are not alone! I am messing around with thread tags a bit but I haven't looked into this issue directly, so it might get better soon or it might get better later.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

The latest update should turn off smart punctuation in the app. Not sure if it's out yet since I use the debug ver.

I keep trying things and they keep failing. Definitely still getting curly quotes sometimes on the latest beta.

yaffle posted:

I'm still locked out of the app, despite reinstalling and resetting/ changing my password and copy/pasting it into the password field, any ideas?

I can't think of what it might be. You mentioned before that you can log in via the same network connection on a desktop. What about if you use Safari on the device that has Awful installed?

anthonypants posted:

Maybe not for you and I, but if there's a way to parse profile pictures in the same way for each page, I'm sure the fine folks at Awful.app, Inc. can figure it out.

But it's probably that the image doesn't begin with "https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/" or "https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/title-" so the app assumes it's a gang tag and ignores it.

Something like this. Probably won't be hard to fix, just gotta get in there.

Over There posted:

Have you guys been having any trouble with the filter by icon thing?

What kind of trouble? (Yes, but tell me more in case there's several kinds of trouble!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

Announcements are continuously showing up as unread despite viewing them. Any way to either shut off badges for announcements or persist that I've viewed them?

I did something silly that could cause this to happen on a 3.27 beta, fixed as of beta 3. Any chance you're on an old beta? Store build should be ok too.

To actually answer your question, it should remember that you viewed them. There's no setting, you're not missing anything.

I might end up adding a setting though, because there isn't really any good way to tell the difference between announcements. For example, if there's two announcements yesterday and the first one gets removed today, I think Awful will mark the second one as unread because "the announcement now at position 1 has different contents from the announcement that used to be at position 1". I tried to do something reasonable but maybe reasonable is more than we can hope for.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

How about as a hack we remove the text from those icons instead of doing a huge recode? It might even make for a better look.

Current users will be familiar with the meaning of all the icons. New users know what bookmarks, mail and settings mean from other apps. Forums is fairly obvious, lepers isn't, but hit it once and you'd get it.

I've never been a big fan of mysterious uncaptioned icons. In general I'd prefer to keep the labels.

Casual Encountess posted:

also why does it not let me upload anything originally from the phone? i have to manually paste in any images from the camera or screenshots. if i do it from the library and it's not something from the phone it works fine but if it's a photo i took or a screenshot it just shits itself

Sorry, it's a longstanding bug. Even the most trivial edit to the photo seems to bypass the bug, if you were hoping for a semi-annoying workaround. I'll +1 the bug.

Caithness posted:

Images and other types of links still don't display correctly in the lepers colony

Yeah :( I'll +1 the bug.

Crime on a Dime posted:

How do you upload as attachments to the forum?

Not through Awful, at the moment. I'll +1 the request, maybe someday we'll get to it. I really like showing the images inline in the text box, but attachments kind of gently caress with that as your attachment always goes at the end of your post. So there's some UI to figure out there as well as the actual implementation.

El Burbo posted:

Thread tags don't load in the filter by tag screen

Seen a bit of that going around :( it's on my radar, hopefully I'll have a chance to fix it up.

Crime on a Dime posted:

Pasting adds a space at the start of the pasted text [snip to avoid Forums BBcode massacre]

I'm not gonna promise anything here, but I'll certainly make a note and hopefully take a look. (Text views are not fun to play with.)

Ol Standard Retard posted:

On iPad, tabbing from the iOS podcast player or from Spotify into Awful now pauses whatever is playing, I used to be able to browse and listen simultaneously. I don't know if this is an iOS thing or a awful thing, but it sucks! Any way to check up on this?

I did some more testing: with a full reload this isn't a problem, it must like... maintain the idea that I played a different media file in Awful at some point and left the app itself as prioritized?

That's no good, sorry about that. Thanks for poking around. I'll add it to my list!

IllegallySober posted:

Also swipe-to-delete bookmark replaced everything below my current view with a black screen once the bookmark was deleted and I had to force-quit to get it back. Current released build, iPhone 6 Plus

I'm seeing (what I think is) this bug happen a bunch too. Bookmarks list half-disappears or otherwise goes real screwy after a deletion or a reload. I'll +1 the issue and hopefully one day I will fix it!

Rinaldi posted:

Having the same issue with the app on my ( ancient ) iPad. Logged in on my phone with no trouble while the iPad app keeps telling me the password is wrong. Typed the same password into Safari and logged in without issue.

I wish I could say I've figured out what's going on, but unfortunately I'm not sure. I'll toss on a +1 and maybe I'll get a brainwave.

Jeoh posted:

If people dislike the limit we could pay pokeyman $250 per month to double it :v: .

Soooo not worth it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

edit: yay timing! I’ll take a look ^^^

Y’all are very welcome!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

The Star Wars thread in CineD seems broken.

As mentioned, I think this is the rare bug that’s just Forums Fuckery we can't do anything about. Sorry!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

ahhh I see, the working link is in 3.27

In the 3.28 beta I think I broke the mechanism that enables:

• the settings button to take you to this thread
• links to other posts
• opening a copied URL
• the various URL schemes

I’ll fix it up this weekend.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Not sure if this is a known bug or not but on the latest beta whenever I delete a thread from my bookmarks none of the other threads can be opened. I have to force quit the app to select them again.

Also the link to the Awful thread in settings doesn’t work.

Link will be fixed next beta. I'll +1 the bookmarks thing, that chorus is getting pretty loud by this point.

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m also noticing that quote links aren’t working anymore. Guessing it’s the same problem.

Sure is! The 3.28 update got through review but I can't ship it with this bug. Gonna re-submit tonight.

Grassy Knowles posted:

The app never remembers my favorite smilies and I’m nearly certain it’s my fault somehow.

Nah it's probably my complete and utter neglect of that feature despite the mounting list of issues with it!

dragon enthusiast posted:

spoopy once-sticky threads are rearing their heads again

Yay! I'll take a look sometime I hope. Last time it was basically exactly as you describe, right? Thread's no longer sticky but the stickiness never goes away?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

The Parent Forum button isn't working for me on the latest Beta. Also, the Beta thread refuses to load for some reason - just a blank screen.

Whoops, I'll look into the parent forum thing. The beta thread issue is because zdr had posted there. It should start working again after a couple posts go by, or I'll just close it and make a new one.

Binary Badger posted:

Is it just me, or do I have to do a wipe and reinstall if I want to see ignored posts? I ignore some folks, but sometimes I want to see what they're shitposting.

The behavior right now is that if I choose to look at the hidden message link it gives me a random message from somewhere else in that thread.

I'm on iOS 11.0.2, but it's been like this since iOS 10 for me..

This sounds very familiar, but I can't find an issue for it, so I think I thought I fixed it. Clearly not! I'll take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pwn posted:

Page 261 isn’t loading?

Trying to access from page 260

Long press on thread from bookmarks. There was the same “can’t load page” dialogue box. Upon pressing OK, it froze there

It froze, had to restart the app

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11, latest stable Awful.

You got the explanation for the load failure, but freezing when showing a preview doesn't help anyone, so I'll make a note of that for future investigation.

dont be mean to me posted:

Reply and especially edit previewing are busted as hell. Just constant previewing forever.

dont be mean to me posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention: Awful 3.28, iPhone 7+ on 11.0.3, freshly deleted and reinstalled, yada yada yada.

Annnnnd this very thread crashes Awful when I try to load its previous posts; that's just great.

I'll check it out. Works on my machine but I did change some stuff in there so maybe I need to go fiddle with some settings to find out when it breaks. And I'll make a note about the crash, we're getting some fun new corner cases these days!

The_Doctor posted:

EDIT: Ugh, it’s still not saving my favourite smilies :(

If it helps, I made no attempt to fix it (yet).

IllegallySober posted:

Did the bookmarks on the bookmarks tab all get shifted slightly to the right in this most-recently-released store version, or am I slowly going insane?

It's entirely possible. This is the first release built with the iOS 11 SDK and sometimes system stuff changes a little bit between releases? Especially if I screw something up and inadvertently rely on some implementation detail that gets changed. I'ma blame that because I don't remember doing any work in the area.

RoboJoe posted:

I hope I can explain this correctly because I am stupid and hopefully hasn't been brought up many times (I did read the past few pages and don't think I saw anything about this).

I use an iPad with this app when I'm not able to browse the forum with my PC (it is a very good app, as an aside, thank you for the work). Before the app did its last update I used to be able to leave it on a thread page that I was reading, and I could go use a different app for quite some time (often hours) or have my iPad on the lock screen. When I opened Awful app again it would put me back in the same thread and page where I had left off before.

However now if I leave the Awful app to go to another then after a very short time that thread will unload itself from the app and I'll be presented with the main forum list and I'll have to go find the thread again.

Was something changed and I've missed an option somewhere? Or maybe something wasn't changed and there's an option that has gone to its default behaviour?

You've explained it well, and while it's not the first time this issue has come up I've apparently broken something again. I'll have a look, I think I know vaguely what's happening.

Grace Baiting posted:

Feature request: would it be possible to search/filter the SA smilies (in both the Awful reply keyboard here, and in the Messages stickers) by typing keywords or something of the kind?

It's probably slightly more likely in the keyboard, because the Messages stickers are literally just a pile of gifs and don't have any smarts behind them. Though maybe it's possible to make a Messages app that replicates sticker functionality but also has a search box? I'll have to do some research on that.

Xenomorph posted:

Oh gosh, I just updated. 3.28. (iOS 11.0.3)

Save image -> Crash. Every time. It never requests photo permission, and I don't see it in Privacy. I swear that this use to work.

Whoops. Sounds like a new iOS 11 thing I missed. Should be an easy fix.

got any sevens posted:

Not sure about that but the 'back' button at top left when reading a thread seems to be smaller now (or doesnt always work when pressing). End up hitting the 'scroll to top' button first a lot today. Iphone 6s

This sounds like another "entirely possible, didn't notice, but will take a look now".

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Had a weird bug a minute ago. Tried to play an embedded video inside a tweet, video didn't play, chalked it up to Verizon being lovely and moved onto the next thread. While browsing the next thread, the video popped up and played.

iOS 10.3.3 on an iPhone SE, Awful 3.28.

I agree with your characterization of "weird". Sounds like a fun one to reproduce too :) I'll make a note!

IllegallySober posted:

Didn't there used to be a setting where you could tell the Awful app to open to a particular tab on startup (say, Bookmarks instead of the forums list?)

It's opening to the forums list as of the latest version and it's kinda annoying as I'd rather it go to Bookmarks instead. Can someone point me in the right direction?

There did, yeah. I got rid of it after implementing the thing that's supposed to bring you right back to where you were when you reopen Awful. You know, the thing I seemingly broke for everyone but me in the latest update. I'll look into it, it's one of those "don't notice it until it breaks" features that I hate being without.

carry on then posted:

I have an OP ready to go if we want to switch. Once we agree to do it, I'll post it as a new thread and simultaneously deliver a change to the link in Settings in the app itself, unless there are objections?

Fire it up. I'll link to it and close this ol' thread down when you do.

• Locked thread