Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it just me or do the thread tag images not work for some of them. They look like placeholder ones.

It's not just you. Someone (pretty much always me or The Dave) needs to create a square version of each tag in order for it to show up in the app. It will just show up as a placeholder until we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'll make non-binding, semi-promise to work on them this week.

And yes, figuring out how to represent the tags statically is often the "fun" part.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

megane posted:

I made a handful of them! Probably the easiest ones but :effort:

Thanks! I made a few on Monday night, and thankfully there's no overlap in our efforts.

Pokeyman - it seems like something went wrong with the Github pages setup for the app. I pushed out the new tags on Monday that I mentioned above, and got an email from Github that I'm assuming you got too (maybe a bad assumption) about a page build failure, and the new tags haven't downloaded.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Abjad Soup posted:

Make "pull for next page" be a setting, but make the toggle be located only below the bottom of each page so you have to swipe the thread up enough to reveal the toggle switch and then hold it there while you use another finger to toggle the toggle. This becomes easier when the toggle is off because then releasing prematurely will not load the next page (thus turning this toggle off qualifies as an advanced Awful app technique™.)

toggle

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

Pokeyman - it seems like something went wrong with the Github pages setup for the app. I pushed out the new tags on Monday that I mentioned above, and got an email from Github that I'm assuming you got too (maybe a bad assumption) about a page build failure, and the new tags haven't downloaded.

Ok, whatever happened here must've just been a fluke thing, because I just did it again without issues.

megane posted:

I made a handful of them! Probably the easiest ones but :effort:

You should see these, and a few more that I made, pop up in the app today or tomorrow (the app looks for new tags only once a day I believe). Still missing some, but much fewer than before.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

You mean the navigation arrow in the top left? It's the selection reticle and we haven't been able to track down how it gets up there yet. It's on the list.

It's actually really easy to reproduce. Go into a thread, select some text, leave thread. I don't know much about how text selection works in iOS, but could we just do something simple like deselect the text programatically when leaving the thread?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

the "tap on quote to go to post" feature has been unusable because prior posts load tweets and the post I navigated to gets scrolled off the page

Tweet embedding makes it worse, but honestly this was pretty unreliable even before it was added.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Are you looking for something different than the Scroll to End button? I'm not sure I follow.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a way to tell other apps to open SA links in Awful?

No, but there are a couple things you can do to make things slightly easier.

- You can copy a url, then when you open Awful it should ask if you want to open it in the app.

or

- You can paste the url into Safari, but change the "http/https" to "awfulhttp/awfulhttps", and it will open in the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

baram. posted:

some post/page counts are turning into …

i guess it's the formatting truncating when text gets pushed off screen since some numbers here are partially out.

iphone 5s
ios10 beta 4
awful 3.16 (31601 testflight build)

This issue only started happening with beta 4 of iOS 10, so it could just be a beta bug.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

All of GBS has been made admin-only apparently.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

chippy posted:

I've tried that, it doesn't make GBS appear. To be honest it doesn't really seem like it does anything. I see the sort of 'shadow' that fades in as you pull down, then it fades out again when I release it but nothing much else seems to happen.

Shadow? Are you sure you're not looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I am totally down for making all the thread tags that are missing during this holiday break, I just don't want to go hunting them down.

Guess we also need a censored Sex tag too.

If you're going to start making censored tags, you need to do much more than the sex tag.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bronin posted:

New version doesn't show the right thread icon for some threads. Examples are the Android threads or the Viking Season 4 thread.
Stickers are great

This is unfortunately because Apple started actually looking at thread tags, so now certain ones have to be excluded to get through app review.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm getting the same error when trying to bookmark or mark as unread. I also get it when I delete existing bookmarks.

Latest iOS on iPhone 7 here.

It seems like these functions all actually work, despite the error messages.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

What's your adblocker situation like

That shouldn't matter at all in the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kamakaze9 posted:

On android I was able to click a link to a thread and it opened in the app automatically, this doesn't happen for me on iOS, it keeps opening in safari. Is this a limitation on iOS? A setting I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Its a limitation of iOS. To make that work on iOS requires server-side changes that we can't do because the app developers don't control SA.

There are a few workarounds though. If you copy a forums link to your clipboard, the app should offer to open that thread in the app. Or you can change the beginning of the link from "https" to "awfulhttps" and it should open it in the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there something up with thread icons in the Games forum?

Loads are showing up as the same:

It's two things:

1) Someone (usually me or The Dave) needs to create a version of every icon specifically for the app, which can be a lot of work
2) Apple has recently started flagging thread icons in app review, so some of the ones we've already made need to be excluded to get the app approved

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

sex swing from IKEA posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515357&perpage=40&pagenumber=1713

On page 1713 of the above thread, myself and several other posters noticed it was causing the awful app to crash. Any idea why?

I think it's the gigantic images that Serious Gaylord posted. It didn't crash for me, but even on the desktop, scrolling gets really stuttery for me around that post.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Here's a weird one I've never seen before. The bottom of the screen even stays like that as I navigate around.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

What's up with these enormous black boxes over text?

I've just started seeing this today, except they're light grey because I'm not using the dark theme. Makes the app pretty much unusable unfortunately.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

baram. posted:

quotes aren’t hotlinking correctly.
ios 11 beta iphone 7.

Just based on the screenshot, I think that's iOS 11's smart punctuation messing with the bbcode.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Krazyface posted:

In less critical news, there's some weird stuff going on with load times. For a long time, the Steam thread would take AGES to load, for just a normal page of text, even when my phone was on the home wifi. This happened when navigating between posts/pages in that thread as well. They recently closed it and started a new one, and now the C-SPAM Trump thread takes forever to load (where previously it took a little longer than usual). As far as I can tell, the longest thread in my bookmarks gets an extra-long load time, for some reason.

This might sound like a joke answer, but it’s not. When threads get to be thousands of pages long, the page selector dropdown menu gets so big that it can have a noticeable effect on load times, and in really extreme cases can even crash a desktop browser.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

TL;DR: I guess in this case quote=edit.

Oh yeah, I'm on the latest beta of awful on whatever the latest version of iOS 10 is on an iPhone 7 plus.

This is actually an intentional design decision. It’s meant to allow you to go back and add additional quotes to a post that you’re in the middle of writing. This comes up a lot though, so it’s obviously a design that needs to be rethought.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

People only bring things up that they feel doesn't work. I'm sure a LOT of people get use out of it (myself included), they just don't feel it necessary to come into the thread and talk about something that is working as intended.

You may not be suggesting complete removal, but I just wanna say please don't remove it.

Yeah, to be clear I’m definitely not suggesting removing the feature. I’m just saying there’s gotta be a better way to implement it that doesn’t cause gently caress up people’s posts in this situation.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

[quote="“anthonypants”" post="“476606082”"]
Maybe not for you and I, but if there’s a way to parse profile pictures in the same way for each page, I’m sure the fine folks at Awful.app, Inc. can figure it out.

But it’s probably that the image doesn’t begin with “https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/%93 or “https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/title-%93 so the app assumes it’s a gang tag and ignores it.
[/quote]

Even if it's not the url specifically that's doing it, there's most likely some minuscule difference that's throwing off the parser.

It's been a long time since I looked at that code, but trying to pick out avatars vs custom titles vs gang tags from the forums html is tricky because there's not actually any difference between these things as far as the forums are concerned. It's all just one block of html that can theoretically contain anything.

It shows up on the profile page because we don't actually have to parse it out in there. We just re-use the same html the forums give us, no matter what combination of images and text it contains.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Also the link to the Awful thread in settings doesn’t work.

I’m also noticing that quote links aren’t working anymore. Guessing it’s the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pwn posted:

Page 261 isn’t loading?

Trying to access from page 260

This is a forums issue. ZDR apparently deleted all of his posts a few days ago, screwing up every thread that he posted in because there's some kind of mismatch between the number of posts that the forums think is in a thread, and the number that are actually there.

I think threads work ok once they get enough posts to make up for the ones that were deleted, maybe, which is the main reason I'm posting this. (I got here by setting my posts per page on the website to 30, which I guess made the page count work out in such a way that I was able to see the phantom posts).

• Locked thread