Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There needs to be a way to push "fixes bug that renders app near-useless" updates ahead in the queue of "add 15 levels to angry birds" updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Bookmarks and pages are working great here! Can I turn thread tags back on now? Or is that not fixed til the next patch?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Random tiny nitpick. On the "jump to page" menu, can you make it so the actual jump to page button says "cancel" or "return" until you move the page selection dial? Every so often I'll accidentally open that window and I'll forgot how to properly close it until I remember to just hit "jump to page" while selecting the current page.

Other than that, no complaints about the app. Thanks for all your hard work!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kaster Troy posted:

On the ipad, clicking on the page actually does close the Jump to page window.

That would be the ideal solution.

pokeyman posted:

which I've been meaning to do for ages!

And you're already all over it. Huzzah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

I have two questions about this request. How would a period key help you type out links? And does your keyboard not have a period key already?

You can double-tap space to insert a period, but then you have to backspace once to bring the cursor back to where it needs to be to continue typing a URL. and yeah, there's a separate period key, but its behind the button press that takes you to a numbers/symbols/punctuation menu.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The "jump to page" change is everything I hoped for and more. Thanks!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I'm missing something, but did the edit post functionality get removed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

got dat wmd posted:

For some reason I can't edit posts inapp anymore. There's no edit button at all

Logging out and logging back in should fix it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something I've noticed lately is that I've been having trouble loading threads on 3G. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just loads forever and I have to back out to my bookmarks list and go back in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

EC posted:

A suggestion: an option to trigger a warning if you hit the cancel button while writing a post. I've accidentally fat fingered it several times and have been forced to rewrite the whole post several times.

This app rules and I love y'all for making it and keeping it updated. :allears:

Seconding this. If there's any text in the reply field, it'd be nice to have to confirm backing out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Is there any way to make the app sort threads with replies above threads without new replies in the bookmarks? Like how SALR and the android app can do?

I've been meaning to post and ask that same thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I have the forums set so that when people quote me, my post shows up green. For a while, the app followed suit, but now it does not, and I don't believe that I changed any options on either end. Any suggestions?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Diabolik900 posted:

That's not an actual forums option, you must have SALR installed. It is an option in the app though, but it's completely unrelated to your SALR settings.

Huh. Duly noted. Time to go check that out.

EDIT: And hey look at that. "Highlight Quotes" was off. Thanks for calling me out on my temporary mental leave of absence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, I've used the updated app for about an hour each on 3G and wi-fi and have not noticed any slow loading or anything. Seems just as it was pre update.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Found a bug. I recently deleted a bunch of PMs via my PC browser, but they are still showing up in the app inbox. Attempting to open one of these PMs crashes the app.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chuck Bartowski posted:

A wild Awful update appears. WOOP!

I'm loving the patch notes. Its like every quality of life upgrade I needed.

EDIT: Except now I've been hit by the "starting the app gives the grey startup screen followed by a crash" bug. Is delete-->reinstall still the order of the day for this crash?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 27, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

I guess so :( wish I could find that crash so I could fix it.

Yeah, reinstalled and it works fine again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I have a tiny ui suggestion if you're open for it: could you make it so that for example tapping the bookmarks button at the bottom of the screen causes scrolling to the top if the bookmarks screen is already on? It gives the button a function other than just showing that it's activated, too!

Seconding this, sounds dead useful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ellspurs posted:

I have had this happen the last two times that I have updated this app. Instead of reinstalling it, all I have done is activated the switch between apps menu (double click button at bottom on iphone/swipe up with four fingers on iPad), killed it in there, and then just restarted it fine. No need to reinstall the app.

That fixed it for me for the last update, but the most recent one from yesterday required a reinstall for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beelzebozo posted:

This seems like a poo poo ton of thankless work. Can you add a $5 IAP that turns the icon gold or some dumb thing so we can donate to you guys?

Or if nothing else, tell us your personally-preferred charity so I can write them a check.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

On my iPad, it's become rather difficult to get spoiler tags to de-black. Is that just me? I end up having to tap and tap and tap and tap sometimes.

I've had that happen on my iPhone as well. I think it may just be bad aim and we're tapping the whitespace between lines.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

You've been here since '06 and you've got a clean sheet? daaaaaamn

I'm living with a Ban on my rapsheet for a "catchphrase" that I still don't know I said.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

randyest posted:

"wow just wow" is a normally probateable catchphrase. Apparently you said it during sharkweek / red hammer week.

I've never heard of that being a catchphrase before. I didn't see it listed anywhere in the forum rules as something not to be said. It is something I typed to express my amazement and disbelief. But anyway, this really isn't the place to have a detailed discussion on this

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Huh, didn't know that dictionary thing existed. Thank you.

EDIT: To suddenly and violently steer this ship back on course: Can the dictionary be accessed from the app?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 25, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any word on a iOS 7 compatibility fix? I'm very tempted to install the beta, and Awful not being compatible is quite possibly the only thing keeping me back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

kloa posted:

^A smart man.

Works fine on my iPhone 4.

Ah, pokeyman said something about ios7 crash reports, so I thought it was just completely broken.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Calling it now, I'm donating 10 cents to charity for every time I crash Awful while running the iOS7 beta. It's remarkable stable (the beta and Awful itself) but there are a few things that reliably cause a crash, and I'm sure I'm gonna break it more in the future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dutchbstrd posted:

Awful works fine in iOS 7 besides quoting and editing. So it's actually better IMO....

Quoting and editing work fine here, oddly enough. It's messing with bookmarks that keeps crashing everything.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Most recent update shuffled the contents of the "..." menu. I keep hitting "quote post URL" since that button is where "quote" used to be.

Is this an error? And will it be fixed in the next update?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

It's so the order doesn't change as actions come and go.

Ahh, okay, see that makes sense. Thanks :D

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can vouch for PhoneClean, I cleared up not quite a gig and it was quick and painless.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The app update notes are always so entertaining. I actually read the ones for Awful!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've been having an issue lately where I'll get a error code 1005 (connection lost) and when I go back and try to load the thread again, all posts are marked as read even though I never got to see the new ones due to the connection lost error. Is there a way to make sure Awful only marks posts as read once they actually been displayed?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pokeyman posted:

Not really, thought I empathize. What I think is happening is the connection gets lost after requesting a page of posts but before they finish downloading. As soon as SA gets that request for a page it updates the "last read" marker.

How frequently do you get that connection lost error? Do you see similar network weirdness in any other apps? Does it happen on wifi?

Happens 5 or 6 times over the course of a few minutes, then goes away for half an hour or so. Happens on wifi and 3G, but seems more common on 3G. Haven't noticed much other network weirdness, but I haven't been looking much either.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oof, I like the general look-and-feel of the new app, but there are some pretty bad growing pains.

-can't access bookmarks past page 1
-post counts are suddenly orange for some reason
-text size selector is missing (or hidden somewhere that I can't find)
-spacing between posts seems to have been increased; feels like there's a lot more empty space on pages (may just be my perception due to the new look)

I gotta say, things are loading more smoothly though, or at least they seem to be. Props for all the backend work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

2) any way to change the font size?

Font size is now tied to the phone-level "Text Size" option (Settings -> General). So in order to adjust text size, you have to leave the app; not very good if you want to do it on the fly. Another case of the app losing inherent-functionality in the name of iOS 7 integration.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My big thing with font size is I liked to change on the fly. When I'm reading the forum at night when I'm laying in bed, I like to turn the font size up a bit so it feels less like I'm straining my eyes. During the day, using the white theme, I turn it down again. If I'm stuck in traffic and not moving, I crank the font size up and read a post or two before the traffic light changes, etc.

Now, instead of just hitting a button in the app, I have to exit the app, go a couple levels deep into system settings, make a change, go back to the app, possibly have to go back to settings if I decide to tweak the size higher or lower, and then finally I can read in comfort.

App functionality was removed in favor of integrating with OS-level features.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

withak posted:

Instead of "Awful Classic", a re-release of the old version should be called "Awful: Whiny Crybaby Edition".

Yes, because every single person who isn't madly in love with the new update and has serious usability/layout concerns with it is a whiny crybaby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, this.

The majority have had legitimate suggestions or requests, but quite a few people have thrown mini tantrums that someone dared change something they like.

How about you guys wait and see if they address your concerns instead of immediately jumping down their throats? Or you know, at least not be rude to someone who is doing something for free so that you can read a stupid Internet forum on your phone.

So we shouldn't voice our concerns? How will they know what we desired changed/reverted if those of us who are displeased don't make our opinions known here in the thread. If this thread is meant to be for thank yous and compliments and other positivity, I can make my issues known via PMs to the devs instead, but to suggest that end users are not allowed to voice concerns is absurd.

• Locked thread