Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Call it "Something" so I can have the old sitting on the right of the new one and make a great joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just don't do that thing where the font steps up in size when I switch to horizontal because that poo poo drives me nuts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm a fan of ditching the icons just because it seems like wasted screen space. On the full website they're kind of handy because you can click them to filter threads and the like, but the Awful app doesn't really do anything with them.

It's not that the interface is cluttered with the icons, but every pixel counts on a mobile device I guess?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make it an icon of the toxx barrel pouring neon green ooze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

To be honest, I don't use the feature except by accident.

Yeah, I thought the app was bugging out on me the first couple times the navigation bars disappeared. I had no idea what happened, and the only way to get them back was to force kill the app and restart. :eng99:

Then I read the Awful thread and became educated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I paid the :10bux:/2 and get no ads with Awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Odds are good that once you get the app approved you can wait a few months and then re-enable TCC. Or maybe sneak it by during the Christmas rush. :v:

There's no way they check every little detail every time, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The bigger question for me is where do custom titles go on iPhone?

Hopefully behind an option in settings so I never have to look at them. :v:

The screen is already pretty cramped, which is why I have avatars shut off. I get that they're nice to see but there just isn't room for them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TACD posted:

What the...? Since when does the Mac support Emoji? You're blowing my mind right now.

Last year I think? I remember some chatter about it when it went in, but I forget when that was.

Only works in Safari though.. Chrome just shows a blank.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put me in the camp that likes opening urls in the safari app. Viewing an image or a single page in the awful app is fine, but if you end up actually browsing, the full web browser is a lot better for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my experience too. The old app isn't faster, it just "did stuff" to hide that data was still loading.

I guess from a usability perspective the old behavior is better, as a lot of people are complaining about it, but in a stopwatch test there's no difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HolySwissCheese posted:

As an iPad mini owner, I would love to be able to increase the default font size in the iPad version of the app.

The new Register app has a cool option to shrink/enlarge the font that I haven't encountered anywhere else. It's quite handy because there's no extra screen to do it.. you just tap the gear icon, a little popup shows up, and you can change the font size. Also nifty is the popup has a night mode setting, which makes switching back and forth quite a bit easier than how Awful does it.

I appreciate it because my choice of font size changes depending on whether I have my glasses on or off.

It might be something worth copying if font scaling becomes a feature for Awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some bullshit. I'd flip out if I found my ISP/carrier filtering what sites I can visit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty indispensable.. this forum doesn't have any kind of mobile interface and using the site as presented is pretty painful. Only time I've visited the site in Safari is when the old Awful app stopped working because the site was down and I didn't get a sensible error message.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, the app has no search features implemented currently.

But if you need to search you could visit the forum in Safari.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My assumption is that the archives are just forum posts that have been moved to a new table in the database to save on them cluttering the indexing for current threads. They function just like normal forum posts, the urls are even the same, but a new input shows up on the forum index to specify a date range. I don't think you even need the archives upgrade to view the posts.. you just need the upgrade to be able to search dates.

A random archived thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1737471

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eagerly awaiting version 1.9999999.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not jumping to the first unread post when tapping a bookmarked thread on 1.9.. was that taken out or is there some bad cached data from the previous version?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

No it's in your forums options on the site.

Holy cow I need to pay more attention to the options screen. I had no idea that was available.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you need some way to hint that there's more thread pages, might the "torn paper" zig zag that twitter sometimes does work?

A few time I've missed that more pages await because my brain ignores the page counter at the bottom. Some visual hint might be useful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, there's a "mentions" feature in the app settings that will highlight any occurrence of your user name.

Guess it's just a simple text match. I guess it could be smarter by requiring white space on either side of the string occurrence, but there's still cases where that can fail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Yeah I took it out, it's back in 1.9.1.

It's starting to sound like every single feature in the app needs to come with a yes/no box to turn it off and on. :v:

The joys of writing software and trying to make everyone happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I shut the avatars off entirely and am happier for it. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I poked around for a few minutes to see if anyone knew how to do this, and the closest I got required cutting up the .gif which is far more work than I'm willing to do. For now I suggest just turning off avatars if they get annoying.

Assuming iOS is using giflib, there are ways to override the frame delay. So you just set it to some absurdly high number and it's effectively frozen.

I don't know enough about iOS programming to be more useful though.. don't know what kind of access they provide for modifying gif images.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

The entire posts view is a web view (for reasons I covered somewhere in the first few pages of this thread, if you're curious), so we'd be looking for a way to do this with javascript, html, and CSS.

Oh, I suppose that makes more sense. :downs:

JS has no access to modifying a gif image's properties, so file that one under "not gonna happen".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Well what were the problems? The way it rendered things?

A solid in app browser > another settings toggle.

What precisely would be the problem with a billion setting toggles? You set it once and forget about it forever, and everyone can have the app behave exactly how they like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They could always visit the thread in a normal web browser to see whats up. :ssh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you did a git clone, it will be the latest version. Maybe someone didn't update the version in xcode? :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am actually really surprised that with the redesign, they didn't put any effort into making a native mobile version. I mean, it seems like the thing to do these days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If nothing else, this glitch reveals how many people read the forums using only this app and never ever visit the site in a web browser.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why whenever I write software, my release numbers have no periods. I just take the current version number and add one. :colbert:

Gotten into some nasty fights over it though. I've had programmers fork the project and stop talking to me because they were so convinced that I was wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to not be afraid of change, but then 2013 happened and I wasn't able to read something awful forums on my smartphone. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you google around there's apparently ways to do it by editing xcode related config files and making your own certs, but I'm unclear if it still works with iOS 6.

The certs are the tricky part, Apple will only hand them out if you pay the $99, and it takes some hoop jumping to get self-signed certs onto the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The app store shuts down for the last week of the year, every year. It's not really something they sprung on us.

The forum update was kind of a surprise.. Lowtax tweeted about a "big" something that was on the way a few days ago, so not sure that really counts as a notification. But I can't see how forewarning would have helped, not like there was a dev version of the site for app developers to test against.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When the new style went live I saw some android users bitching that their Awful reader hadn't been updated since May, so maybe they're still wallowing in the mud like we are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just really bad timing.. the end of year shutdown of the review process creates an enormous backlog and they haven't quite caught up yet. Any other time of year and the fix would already be out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it teaches young internet visitors that everything you read on the internet is bullshit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Hmm well I just did it like the original, I would personally rather go that route because I'm weird:

Instantly millions of TF2 players start using it for their own threads.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually you should do the whole world a favor and pressure Apple to put features in their OS to allow users to choose their own default programs for opening stuff. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beastie posted:

Oh I didn't realize it was an Apple thing. I'm still glad the app is back, checking the forums in browser is quite tedious.

Well, that's the problem. It should be an Apple thing. But currently if developers want users to be able to control which app opens, it has to be done on a per-app basis.

• Locked thread