Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get why Apple is doing that but goddamn it's like they don't want people to read internet forums on iOS.

How's that mobile interface for the website coming, Lowtax? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had an idea like that eons ago when I was tinkering with window managers for X11, I wanted an interface that would track mouse clicks. If the user clicked somewhere where nothing happened, then the next click actually did something, the element they clicked on would get bigger, supposedly making it easier to click. Stuff that didn't get used over a period of time would shrink or maybe even disappear into a sub-menu. I also wanted to experiment with moving buttons around in an attempt to increase the hit rate.

Unfortunately managing all that data was beyond me and I never got further than a proof of concept.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

The Biggest problem here is that I often purposefully "click" areas that have no buttons--on desktop to switch windows without accidentally hitting something and on iPhone to adjust grip or whatnot. It's a neat idea, but it wouldn't be useful to me.

And now you know why I gave up on it, once I discovered how much data I'd have to log and interpret the problem outgrew my ability to program it. Probably not the best place to debate it but I think an adaptive UI is going to become a thing someday in the future. Everyone uses their computing devices slightly differently, and instead of having a massive list of preferences the software should have some capacity to adjust automatically.

We got a hint of it with Windows 8, but unfortunately everyone hated it. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on my experiences with acquisitions, it takes at least 6 months for changes to really start showing up. Maybe 9 months before us customers see any impact.

This early on all that's happening is shuffling managers and laying off redundant support staff (HR, billing, those types of jobs).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well poo poo I have no idea how that happened.

I won't edit it out because I'm stubborn. It's still true even if 100% off topic. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah the choppiness is all over the place, it's gotta be some kind of caching thing or something because if you hold your finger down and scroll up or down quickly it's nice and smooth. It's just that first few pixels of scrolling that lags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, I mean it's all over iOS. I see it in Settings, for example.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should whip the iPad version into an app for mac store and enable Handoff because this poo poo is loving magic and I love it and require it to make posts on the internet. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Databases suck, I hate them.

Or more accurately, making them not suck to use sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Index on ALL COLUMNS. :jeb:

And listen to the wailing as performance tanks in other areas. And storage balloons even more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm genuinely surprised someone bothered to look at every single page of smileys.

To be fair, SA does have the best collection of them of any forum out there and is entertaining in its own way, but if you got a queue of a thousand apps to review spending the time to check every nook and cranny seems like overkill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

"Apps that are primarily designed to upset or disgust users will be rejected",

Interesting, so why did they ever allow Awful.app at all? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Is it the emoticon keyboard that keeps getting it rejected?

Yep, it turns out goons are a bunch of sick bastards when it comes to animated gifs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, there is handoff support? How does that even work?

Post creation from iOS to mac doesn't work (or it doesn't for me) but if you're browsing a thread it'll let you open it in safari.

And going from mac to iOS will just open the current page in iOS safari.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mo0 posted:

I just had Awful pop up as a shortcut in the lower left corner of my lock screen; as far as I'm aware that's supposed to be for the thing where it tries to pop up the appropriate app for where you're at, so since when is Awful doing that?

Or am I completely misinformed?

That should be the handoff icon. But I've never seen the Awful app icon show up on the lock screen.. it always does it in Safari for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, it's just how unicode works. There's nothing your browser/app can reasonably do about it.. if you want it fixed, harass whoever's the forum code monkey to filter out inappropriate unicode strings.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Did Apple decide they hate different emoticons than last time?

They've been on an anti-violence crusade lately, maybe after forcing the elimination of the sex smilies now they want the guns ones gone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one is already fixed.. SA mods can ban users, and users can blacklist other posters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially considering it's almost impossible to get the long form url on iOS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know, the quality of conversation might improve around here if some google ai routine is writing all the posts. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Please don't look to Alien Blue for inspiration, its ugly.

It's also a lot of crazy ideas that are super progressive and experimental that make the app really clumsy to use. Experimenting with UI design is fine and all, but you can't throw away everything familiar without really good justification.

I like Awful because it works like the forum and fits in well with the iOS ecosystem. There's no surprises which I guess might not be super exciting to program for but in terms of usability it's about as good as it gets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I know tiny screens are dinosaurs, but this has really been getting on my nerves more and more.

Any adjustments on the table to give a bigger look at the text box?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been like that for many months now, it surprises me people are only complaining about it now. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

carry on then posted:

Similar to the above, here's something for the list: an option to disable embedded youtube videos and/or convert them to links. I tried to test a change using the PYF 30sec videos thread, but all the embeds brought the app to its knees and often crashed it even on an iPhone 6.

That's a forum option. I guess there's an argument to allow mobile viewing to control it separately, but in the absence of that you can just turn off embedded videos in your profile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or a double tap anywhere on the post would be pretty easy as a user.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I recently noticed that pressing the : key on the little macro bar does not cancel the auto "uppercase the first letter of a new sentence" thing, but if I enter a : from the normal keyboard, it does.

Is that something that can be fixed? Because emoticons are case sensitive.

:colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because when you decide that regular expressions can solve a problem you're having, you go from having one problem to having two problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuckin certs man. Set the expiration to 2038 and call it done. :colbert:

• Locked thread