Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I never use the app in landscape, and would actually love an option to lock it in portrait mode.

Access to the Leper's Colony would be pretty keen, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

enigma105 posted:

You can always lock the phone rotation (double tap home, swipe to the sound options. The leftmost icon is rotation lock.)

Yeah, that's what I do now. There are some apps I do like to rotate, though (video and whatnot especially), and I'm prissy about having to switch back and forth. I will 100% cop to the fact its a bit of a petty request, but I would prefer to lock my apps individually if I can. Even re-reading that makes me sound high maintenance, but there you go.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I didn't realize this was still happening. Does it happen on every thread, or just some of them?

I don't get a thread title on any threads. I've actually never seen a thread title in this new app.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

The Dave posted:

Does it persist if you delete the app and redownload+install?

I know you weren't addressing me, but: yes, it does for me (persist that is). I just tried.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Oceanbound posted:

Getting a frequent problem where bookmarks, forums and favourites all turn blank. I can access the Awful thread through settings though.

I've been getting this as well. Fully closing and re-opening the app gets it back on track, but it happened at least a half dozen times in an hour or two.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

pokeyman posted:

When you say "blank", can you still pull to refresh the bookmarks? Is there an edit/done button on favorites?

Does it happen when you first launch the app? Or does it start happening later?

Are you using an iPhone or an iPad?

You can still pull to refresh, but it doesn't seem to do anything -- the screen is still blank. The menu at the bottom remains and you can pick among the options (settings, bookmarks, etc.), but outside of the settings screen the other screens are blank -- just white space. I can get a bit more specific when I replicate it (I'm not in wifi range right now). I'm using a fourth generation iPod. It just seems to happen randomly. It doesn't happen right away, but will usually happen within about 20-30 minutes of opening the app.

For what its worth, its the only real problem I'm having. Everything else works and looks great.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Which iOS version are you using?

Does it disappear while you're looking at it? Or is it there one time, you go into a thread, hit the back button, and now everything's gone?

I'm on 5.1.1 -- I am going to stop being lazy and finally update to 6 tonight and see if that helps.

It disappears when you are going back to the bookmark menu from a thread, using the button in the upper left.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

xzzy posted:

If you need some way to hint that there's more thread pages, might the "torn paper" zig zag that twitter sometimes does work?

A few time I've missed that more pages await because my brain ignores the page counter at the bottom. Some visual hint might be useful.

It seems like a trivial thing to complain about, but I would love a little indicator of some kind that there are more pages as well.

What is the current thinking on an in-app browser? It seems unnecessary to switch to safari when you're just clicking a linked image and back when you're done. I like that forum links open internally now (they didn't before, right?) but there doesn't seem to be a reason for imgur links to go to safari.

Oh yeah, and no problems with the blank screen showing up in 6.0.1, at least so far.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I haven't had it happen a single time since updating to 6, so it looks like that might be it. Everything works great now.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Any plans to have an option to lock orientation? I know there is a system wide orientation lock, but I'd like to be able to do it on the app level.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

butros posted:

I would like to say thank you for adding the "threads with unread posts sort to the top" function in this latest version. It was really the one thing that was missing for me previously and it is a sublime addition. Keep up the good work, it does not go unappreciated!

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a cool feature.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I had to delete/re-install to log in as well.

Anyone else not able to browse via the IP option (in 'Alternate Server') after the update? I get a 'Network Error - Could not connect to the server (error code -1004)' message now, but not before I updated.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Will take a look. I'm not sure I changed anything there, but it's possible I'm forgetting something or something changed server-side.

I'm not very convinced it's a useful setting. What were you using it for?

Sometimes I use a WiFi network that blocks forums.somethingawful.com but browsing through the IP works. It's no biggie, it just saves me a little on data.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I know last time I mentioned this it was met by a resounding shrug, but has anyone else tried using the IP address as the alternate server? I'm guessing I'm the only one who sometimes uses that option, or I'm somehow the only one it doesn't work for.

Lest I sound like a dick please know that Awful is one of the most used apps on my phone and I appreciate all the work you folks are doing on it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Fixed in the next update!

Brilliant. You guys do a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I thought it was just me being a spaz (still haven't ruled that out). Definitely feels different, though -- it takes me a few tries more often than not.

• Locked thread