Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thecluckmeme posted:

Minor nitpick: I love the new blue on the alternative theme, but the OP usernames and quoted username links are still the old color and it's a bit ugly to not have them all share the same blue. Any chance the alt theme could change those too?

Do you have a screenshot? I see what you mean with the OP username, but not the other instance you mentioned. Once I see where it is it should be a quick fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

The quote links circled here, plus any link --> like this example <--still display in OG blue. The OP color could probably be changed to the same color too.

I think if you could make the blue circled here brighter (like in Filter By Tag) it'd feel better. It's currently dimmer than the unselected icons. Alternatively you could make it white like you have done in the thread view, which looks pretty sharp I think.

Also, I made those additional throbber icons a while ago that would be cool to include, I don't know how easy it is to cycle through them on different page loads though. I can easily change their colour to the new blue if you like and re-export them if you can't re-color on your end?

That's so weird, I see the correct color on links. (screenshot). I did have to adjust the OP's username text color, so that'll come out in the next version.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Actually you shouldn't have to re-export them, I know there's some way to tint images to a single color

I have this going in, too. I'll keep searching for more discontinuities with the alternate theme. I've already found the unread post count and the star and disclosure arrows.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 26, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Regular Nintendo posted:

I meant for the throbber images, just tintColor wont work

Accepted answer here should do it https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19802982/how-to-apply-a-tintcolor-to-a-uiimage

Check the repo. :)

carry on then fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 26, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Usually I leave stuff in beta for ages. Now and then I feel bad that some useful fix or feature is stuck waiting for me to finish e.g. pointlessly porting code to Swift so I do a rush job to get it out the door.

Part of me wants to get a bit of project management going on, actually use the issue tracker and pick some milestones or whatever. But that stuff isn’t a ton of fun.

We don't need too much, just a bit of a release cadence and maybe opening new complaints as GitHub issues rather than a giant task list. If you ever decide to do something, let us know in the COBOL thread and I'd be happy to follow it.

pokeyman posted:

These loving iOS 11 smart quotes bug the poo poo out of me.

Same. Xcode 9 still feels like it's in "nonsensical compiler" stage so I'm not having much luck trying to figure out what the errors its flagging mean, but once I start to make some headway on that I can see about looking into the smart quotes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Testing it's it's it's

e: Ok, iOS 11 users of awful should disable "Smart Punctuation" in keyboard settings to work around the smart quotes encoding problem.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

Long press, format, code crashes the app

Found and fixed. Thanks for the report :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CaptainCrunch posted:

1) Love the app. Been using it daily since release.

2) I did skim the thread, but I didn't see a relevant issue (or if I did I didn't recognize it). For the last couple months, can't pin down exactly when it started but it continues today after updating to the latest version, clicking youtube links open in safari. Even if I long press and use the "Open in YouTube" popup button. Not a huuuugggee issue but sometimes It leads to me having a ton of tabs open.

Cheers and thank you.

This is something with iOS that we don't control. You'll need to visit youtube.com in Safari and scroll up so you get the "Open in the Youtube app" banner and hit that. I think that should set it to go back to using the app again. Note that if you ever open something in the app and then hit the top right status bar link to continue to the site, it'll start opening all youtube links in Safari again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Turn off smart punctuation in keyboard settings. They went to smart quotes by default and something doesn't like that.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

Long press, format, code still crashes the app. Not sure if that was supposed to be fixed in the last update though

No, I was too slow. Next update, should be.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey pokeyman/contributors, I'm thinking about opening some of these new feature requests as Issues instead of/in addition to putting it on the big list. Any objections?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Any guesses as to why this app takes up almost 6 gb on my iPad?

do you read the trump thread?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sadly we don't have much control over embedded videos, they behave how the web view decides they should behave. One thing we do have on the list is to move the web view to a newer one, but I couldn't say whether that would make older device compatibility better or worse, sorry.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

You have to pick a thread tag. In the non dark theme the left part of the subject line is more obvious that a thread tag hasn't been selected. Tap in that area and pick a thread tag.

Hmm, that is a pretty big issue. I'll look into it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They're included in the keyboard but downloaded from the site when embedded in posts. So there are definitely emotes that you can't type because they got the app rejected.

Thread tags I'm not sure what's going on--those are actually downloaded from GitHub and saved by the app so I don't know why they aren't showing up. I'll have to play with things, but I'm also in the middle of chasing down some bugs that'll show up on iOS 11.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Because it's on the list but we haven't gotten to it yet (the list is large)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

You have to pick a thread tag. In the non dark theme the left part of the subject line is more obvious that a thread tag hasn't been selected. Tap in that area and pick a thread tag.

I fixed this so now that image should be a visible color in any theme.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Hey what's the deal with thread icons? Do you prefer pull requests on the icon repo or what? It's just the one but, y'know

I think anything goes as long as you don't goatse everyone :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bob NewSCART posted:

Was just curious if it was in the pipeline or not

Ya sorry to be so indecisive, I'm kind of waiting to be done with beta stuff before trying to tackle more medium size features, but anyone else is welcome to take a swing at it!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Crime on a Dime posted:

Can't seem to filter by tag...

Any forum or specific ones?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

As far as I know, it should correctly use the extra space on both sizes of pro. If it doesn't, please let us know!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nystral posted:

Just observed this: looping video embedded in a tweet was paused and left page. Link on next page was inoperable.

Clearing cache does not seem to help.

That's because I've been trying to suss out what the issue has been for a few weeks now.

Thanks for trying to nail it down. Unfortunately I don't immediately have a fix in mind, but I added your info to the bug and I'll use it to try and see what's going on.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 19, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's the end of the month so our Imgur allotment probably ran out. It's on the list to be figured out.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

This is while you're writing the PM? Or the keyboard sticks around after it's sent?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Over There posted:

It's when you're writing it. Basically it gets to the point that you have no idea what you're typing anymore.

Okay yeah, I think we have that on the list. I'll go find it and bump it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pokeyman set it up so with the next release, smart punctuation is entirely off within the app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Now that iOS 11 is out, I'll mention that the issue with the Forums, Bookmarks, etc buttons on iPads in portrait is a known issue. It's a bug in UIKit somewhere but Apple never responded to my report, so we'll have to replace the tab view entirely with something else to fix it unless they manage to figure it out soon.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

BeOSPOS posted:

nm turns out it was just smart punctuation keyboard settings in iOS :shrug:

The latest update should turn off smart punctuation in the app. Not sure if it's out yet since I use the debug ver.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PinkoBastard posted:

just a minor issue - my av doesn't show up in the awful app at all. Tried clearing the cache but it doesn't make a difference. I've maybe seen one or two other people with the same issue but don't remember their usernames.

Yours seems larger than usual--do you remember if the others you have seen were also bigger avs?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Since updating to iOS11 I've noticed the nav bar on my iPad Pro 12.9 renders the icons and text side by side instead of stacked like before.

Check it out:

e: it seems to render correctly if I disable autohide in landscape mode - still incorrect on portrait mode with the same setting though.

I'm real mad at Apple about it.

carry on then posted:

Now that iOS 11 is out, I'll mention that the issue with the Forums, Bookmarks, etc buttons on iPads in portrait is a known issue. It's a bug in UIKit somewhere but Apple never responded to my report, so we'll have to replace the tab view entirely with something else to fix it unless they manage to figure it out soon.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

How about as a hack we remove the text from those icons instead of doing a huge recode? It might even make for a better look.

Current users will be familiar with the meaning of all the icons. New users know what bookmarks, mail and settings mean from other apps. Forums is fairly obvious, lepers isn't, but hit it once and you'd get it.

The problem is it's all wrapped up in the completely untouchable UITabBar class inside a UITabViewController. Ordinarily I'd just get in there and crowbar in a UITraitCollection.compact which would fix it so it displays properly, but everything is private and get-only and bleh, so that won't work. I believe stripping the labels altogether is similarly impossible without ripping the thing out entirely, which is basically where we are at now.

It's an interesting idea, but not really any faster than what we have to do anyway.

The real problem isn't necessarily the tab bar, but the tabBarController. Maybe I'll try doing away with that and seeing what I can do.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey you did it! Well done.

pokeyman did it :) I've got something else coming later.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chris Knight posted:

Coming here to report same, but different error message:

There's a fix going into the next release that should resolve this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have an OP ready to go if we want to switch. Once we agree to do it, I'll post it as a new thread and simultaneously deliver a change to the link in Settings in the app itself, unless there are objections?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If you're gonna submit an update to the app I made some app icon changes that'd be great to get bundled in with it?

Crossposting from Beta Thread:

I'd just be making the commit to the repo, pokeyman is in charge of submitting updates so it wouldn't happen for a few days after he makes the submission. Plenty of time so I can make sure your images get added too :)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Still waiting for confirmation on changing threads but your request went in

This feature now lets me distinguish between broken and really broken versions of the app much faster :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Let's ditch this hell thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837546

• Locked thread