Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I'm getting a crash every time I try and open an SA link from a post; anyone else seeing this? I have Chrome installed, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Javid posted:

Posting another vote for "killed by" instead of "posted by" in the bookmark tab.

And another. I'm interested in who started a thread on the forum tab, but only who posted last on the bookmark tab.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Bug report...if I follow a thread link from inside the app, then try to bookmark the new thread, I get a repeatable crash. 1.8.1 on IOS 6.0.1.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Figured this one out, fixing it for 1.9.1. For now, here's a workaround:

Workaround works for me. One question - I find myself hitting what I guess is "parent forum" rather than just the "back to list of bookmarked threads" and doing a refresh of my bookmarks a lot more than I want - is there something I can do to minimize the chances of the refresh (iphone 4S)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Please put jumping to the first unread post back in. I have no idea why you'd remove this.

It's still in, but there's a little bug in that it requires you to have the "color read posts differently" option set on your main SA account.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

a glorious hole posted:

Awful 1.10 just dropped in the App Store. This new keyboard addition is nice.

I upgraded to 1.10...gray screen, gray screen, crash.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1. I guess I'll try deleting and reinstalling.

EDIT: well, maybe a full reboot first. 1.10 seemed to take forever in the "installing" space, so maybe the transition of my data didn't go so well.

EDITx2: full reboot seems to have worked.

I'm still seeing some odd behavior with bookmarked threads:

1) When viewing a bookmarked thread, I am given the option to bookmark the thread rather than to unbookmark it; and
2) When going back to the list, the previously viewed bookmarked thread tends to end up in a random spot in the list.

Not critical by any stretch, but I thought those were fixed in 1.10?

ulmont fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 28, 2013

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Upgraded to the latest awful (iOS 6.1.0).

I got nothing but a blue bar at the top / grey background page until I did a complete delete of the app and reinstall. Tracking down my password was annoying, but everything seems to be working now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Backstory:

1) I have Bookmarks as the Launch Tab.
2) I'm reading a long thread that I don't want to jump to the next unread. In this particular example, I got linked to page 20 of a 41-page LP, then went back to read from the start, so say I have page 7/41 up.
3) When I restart the app after whatever the timeout period is, it automatically jumps back to the bookmarks, losing my place in the thread.

Is there anyway to avoid that?

EDIT: iOS 6.1.3, iPhone 4S, Awful 1.11.5.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

syndex posted:

Could you use the 'mark read to here' feature? It is on the ... popup options. You could hit that on the last post you have read and when you return to the app (even if it was killed) should start that thread off at that post.

That works; thanks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

Since about 3 updates ago the app has just completely stopped working for me. I keep getting the updates hoping it would fix itself. When I try to start it, I just get a grey background screen.

Delete and reinstall. This happens to me with each update if I don't remember to first force-kill the app before updating.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pokeyman posted:

This kind of thing should probably go in the IYG Awful thread.

Sorry; I had thought development was done on version 1.

pokeyman posted:

Awful defaults to page 1 there because it has no idea which page has "new unread posts" without asking SA. I'm not sure what a useful guess would be on failure.

I'm not sure I quite understand. If the app failed to load a page when it was doing the "jump to new unread posts" bit, and I pull up, why would you not to the "jump to new unread posts" bit again? That is, shouldn't pulling up to refresh after a network failure be the equivalent of "do what we just tried?"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I need a button to edit a post just to add "e;f,b." at the end...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

kloa posted:

Grabbed the update but now when I browse a thread in E/N and hit the back button to jump to the thread lists, it brings me to the top of the forum instead of where I left off scrolled down.

5s iOS 7.0.2

E: same for GBS but bookmarks returns me just fine :iiam:

Same with TFF, but 4s on 6.1.3.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Dave posted:

Like honestly not all of the feedback right now is 100% valid because some of it is knee jerk reaction. On the flip side there are some quick fixes we need to try and get in place asap.

The inability to view any bookmarked threads past page 1 is the only significant problem with the current build for me (currently I have unread posts on pages 1-3 of my bookmarks, and I generally only view the forums through the bookmarks page, whether in the Awful app or in a browser).

I do miss the blue highlight indicating what I had already seen on a page as well, but that's relatively minor.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

E: wrong thread.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The man called M posted:

I'm at home, and it's doing it, and I have been able to use the app many times before in the past.

The forums themselves have been crashing lately (returning 502 errors), which is probably similar to being on a network blocking SA for app crashing purposes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Because the forums codepage is windows-1252.

In Chrome you can go settings -> more tools -> encoding -> unicode if you want to view the unicode flavors correctly as well (although that's obviously a pain in the rear end).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

If you see Lowtax's newest announcement thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

He seems to want to move to a different service for the forums. I'm completely dumb about all of this: would this break the Awful app and require a full redesign?

1. Yes.
2. There are existing Xenforo mobile apps.
3. Judging by past performance, this will never happen anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

1.21 GB, and lots of screenshot let's play threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

Anyone else have the problem of quotes/leper colony entries not correctly going to the post in question anymore?

It's always been a crapshoot for me based on how many images and tweets are on a page.

• Locked thread