Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have no right giving this answer, but poo poo I'm gonna just do it man.

Awful S II MAXX isn't getting additional features. The app was born out of YOSPOS wanting something that they thought could very easily be added (iPad support that was already there but not live), while OHIO was working on an all new build and wouldn't get to it in a timely matter.

The Awful S II MAXX is a lot like the original, it exists because it's a quick fix to fit the iPhone 5 resolution. (AFAIK) no one from YOSPOS is going to start developing it as a new app with its own features.

Now in regards to Awful. I don't think there's any major forum feature that anyone working on the app is like "We don't need that." It's just that with this type of project, which is really a hobby app, there's no time frames or project plan for anything like that. It's just going to take time and someone's dedication.

Specifically in terms of PMs, I believe hardstyle has something worked up for them that will be worked into the app down the road. Time frame? No idea. Not like super far in the future, but don't hold your breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually didn't the iPad features exist in the code but weren't enabled? Then the YOSPOS guy just got it running?

OHIO didn't want to use it because at the time he was recoding the app from the ground up and that included iPad support, and didn't want to work with the old codebase at all.

He got made because it all sort of happened without getting asked for about it beforehand, however he did have the code on github with an open license.

Whatevs, let's just make this poo poo good looking and bug free.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can put emoji in an app title right? I thought it would make sense just to name it "Awful" then some bullshit character. Just so people discovered it in the app store (then again maybe that's a bad idea?).

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Scroll to Bottom would be really nice especially when a thread fails to load to the last post. Funny it was brought up today I worked it into a mock-up 2 days ago.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is that idea for iPad or both platforms? I just don't see it being that great on the phone.

For the iPad layout, something that might work is making the post information (Username, Avatar, Date) be a floated block to the left of the post block. On shorter posts it would look normal but on longer posts the post would eventually fill up the whole block.

Just need to tweak it so you don't get any weird looking situations where like only one sentence does under the post information. I would then on the bottom right float the thread options button.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Instapaper is another app that works similarly.

It does? Honestly I never use it but have it and I just took it for a spin and the UI elements were static the whole time.

I'd like to start with having the page stuff be actually on the bottom, but keeping the title bar static, I don't know why. Maybe I just need baby steps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ohhhh I see now, yeah that's slick. That's has to happen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is anyone using the app on iPhone in landscape? Just curious to see how many. The one thing that sucks with landscape is if you slide up a menu you only have space for like 3 options.

Wondering if trying to move to icon based menus like the iOS6 photo sharing menu would be any better. (And I could make more icons! Muahahahahah) Like:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

got dat wmd posted:

it just makes the app size itself larger.

The combined filesize of the 248 iphone icons is 2mb, so let's not blame that.

I agree with a toggle. What sucks is when the forum ads new icons and we can't do anything about it without updating the app. Maybe those lazy scumbag designers can try actually working on more and completing the set.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Haha I was wondering how easy it is to call that and if it will annoy people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Actually not really the current thread tags look like poo poo on the iPhone and take up more horizontal room in portrait then desired.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The pinch gesture shouldn't really be necessary if we take the instapaper approach.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it gets rejected again I wonder if you could remove the forum then add it in as an update and just hope they miss it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hello awful users. I've been getting thread tags done at a faster rate than usual (basically I stopped caring about how accurate they are to the original, adopting a something is better than nothing attitude) and just wanted to make a last chance post to say if there are any tags that piss you off because they are missing let me know and I'll make them top priority.

I think the new build has close to 100 new thread icons already and has the ability to add new ones without having to send an update to the App Store, so keeping up once we have them all done will be super easy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The new build doesn't even have that edit button so it doesn't matter. To remove bookmarks you have to do the slide horizontally to reveal the remove button.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Could probably also add a hidden way to enable it if need be and never really get caught by apple because the app isn't really in the spotlight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Here's a little peek at the current thread tag progress, it's pretty significant ( these all won't make the next release, but will make the one after that!):

The Dave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 4, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's tough because some people have a wall of text with their avatar that could make the template look ridiculous if they post a short message.

A potential solution might be to count how much avatar text there is, and hide it if its over a certain length, and add a "..." that you tap to reveal it. ( possibly stolen from the Android app ).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If someone sends me a free iPad I will come up with the best solution :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Thing is if someone has like 4 lines of text for their avatar and posts one sentence it's going to look bad.

There's just no room on the phone for the avatar text, only place I think it can ever be shown is a future View Profile card.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Favorites is a list of Forums, Bookmarks is a list of posts.

PMs are certainly wanted but that's a whole different beast.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's sort of a dick thing to say, but there's no point in mentioning nuances or bugs in 1.7, as its predecessor is already done and in for approval.

1.8 is the cooler older brother that smokes cigs.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oceanbound posted:

Edit: I got confused by the change to "posted" instead of "killed" there. Not sure why you made the change. In the previous version, sometimes I wouldn't bother to read a thread even if there was a new post, once I saw who had made it.

I 'll take the blame for that and I am turning against it now. I was actually thinking about while laying in bed this morning, wishing there was a feasible way to show both.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A menu on single tap would be horrible. Single tap = In Awful browser or Hold tap = Open in third party menu makes the most sense to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can still use Awful S II MAXX while keeping the new Awful installed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ulmont posted:

I'm interested in who started a thread on the forum tab, but only who posted last on the bookmark tab.

I really like this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

Show OP if you've never read the thread. Show last poster if you've read any of the thread.

Hmmm...I guess it isn't.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm really excited about the next version going live, we have basically every thread tag done. The only ones missing are about ~5 from FYAD that are going to be a little tricky to complete because I don't know the source material.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well we found out through the potions tag that I can't reliably spell things. Not shocking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes and also as a full time graphics designer I pretty much have lost all emotional response to anyone being slightly negative to me so I didn't even notice!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Only 6 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-madmax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/lf-burden.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-ant.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/phiz-robojax.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/YCS-01.gif
http://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/ycs-violence.gif

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I knew the Ultra Violence was from DOOM, but I haven't been able to have that knowledge. I can't tell if that is from a real DOOM menu or if it's just the Doom font over a doom texture.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

phiz-robojax solved -

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Only 6 3 post icons remain, and I need everyone's help. If anyone can help me at all in telling me what I need to know to remake these I'm all ears, because I don't recognize the original content:

EDIT: Ugh I thought I hit edit not quote...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's a 1.8.3 which I believe fixes that crashing. I don't know if pokeyman plans on pushes that update through to the AppStore or is planning to finalize 1.9.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

Loading overlay when changing pages and stuff seems to be gone, so it's hard to tell anything is happening when you change pages.
Page buttons are kinda small too, some sort of pull or swipe to change pages would be awesome.

Well if the app is loading data the loading symbol will be up in the status bar.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All valid points, I think one or two of those are addressed in 1.9. Basically UI polish hasn't gotten there yet because of so many things happening at once. Personally my goal is to try and make 2.0 really polished, which is a little bit down the road.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah there's a 1.8.3 that has all the tags and allows them to be side loaded too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tuyop posted:

Also, is one of the new updates putting the thread title back in the top bar when you're browsing a thread? That's a weird omission.

It's not a weird omission, it's a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Really? I didn't tag a 1.8.3. I'll go back and check.

Might just be 1.9 and I haven't bumped the version yet.

Well test flight called it 1.8 (#3) and it just think 1.8.3 is easier to type.

• Locked thread