Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Problem: posting from inside the app causes it to hang indefinitely. It no longer reaponds to input after pushing the reply button. Solved by force quitting and not posting.

iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 4S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Where is TCC on the new app? I have my bookmarked apps from TCC visible but not the forum itself :(

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Hamburlgar posted:

Where is TCC on the new app? I have my bookmarked apps from TCC visible but not the forum itself :(

TCC is hidden so it could get past App Approval.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I knew I shouldn't have deleted the old app!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can still use Awful S II MAXX while keeping the new Awful installed.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The old app should still be available under your purchased apps in the App Store, and TCC may or may not come back in a future update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

tuyop posted:

Problem: posting from inside the app causes it to hang indefinitely. It no longer reaponds to input after pushing the reply button. Solved by force quitting and not posting.

iOS 5.1.1 iPhone 4S

Did you get the confirmation alert? Were you uploading any images? Did you see the "replying" message with the spinner?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

awesomekittens posted:

I'm still getting that annoying jump to the top of the page. Seems mainly to happen in image-heavy threads, especially when you scroll to a gif. on further inspection it seems to happen when you scroll down too fast. Like, say, if you're trying to get to the last post on a page.

I know a "last post on current page" button was suggested earlier. Did that make it in 1.8/9? This would be super useful especially since when you post in a thread, it doesn't jump down to your post after submitting, but loads starting from the top of the page.

I've taken out any kind of "jump to top" or "jump to post" or anything like that. I do want to make it work properly at some point. Most things I'm willing to compromise on, but the spurious jumping around is just too annoying. It's either perfect or out.

And that button does indeed exist in a new version.

edit: Everything mentioned to here is on the todo list. Thanks!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Posting another vote for "killed by" instead of "posted by" in the bookmark tab.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Javid posted:

Posting another vote for "killed by" instead of "posted by" in the bookmark tab.

And another. I'm interested in who started a thread on the forum tab, but only who posted last on the bookmark tab.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ulmont posted:

I'm interested in who started a thread on the forum tab, but only who posted last on the bookmark tab.

I really like this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I really like this.

Is it better than:

Show OP if you've never read the thread. Show last poster if you've read any of the thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

Show OP if you've never read the thread. Show last poster if you've read any of the thread.

Hmmm...I guess it isn't.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lately I've bee getting tons of network timeouts, when other apps have perfect connectivity.

Usually it will go ahead and refresh/load page/whatever on the second or third try, this makes me wonder if the timeout detection is just a bit too aggressive.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

I think it works better for just bookmarks to be set up as last posted, since by the nature of the bookmarks list you're probably checking to see what the new info is for those threads specifically.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

Did you get the confirmation alert? Were you uploading any images? Did you see the "replying" message with the spinner?

I click the reply button, the button animates, but then nothing responds unless I force quit, at which point my post has been lost. 

I wasn't uploading images. 

I didn't see any other messages than the last thing I was looking at (my post). 

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

jojoinnit posted:

I think it works better for just bookmarks to be set up as last posted, since by the nature of the bookmarks list you're probably checking to see what the new info is for those threads specifically.

I feel like pokey's solution does this without having to jump through the additional hoop of adding this specific function though.

I've been holding off on fully switching from the maxx version solely because the visible delay from thread selection to loading really bothers me (even if actual loading times are the same). That and the weird re- ordering animation that happens when you refresh bookmarks. It also seems like the font size of the number of unread replies has been reduced (on the bookmarks menu).

Looking forward to the processing updates.

supersteve fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 13, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tuyop posted:

I click the reply button, the button animates, but then nothing responds unless I force quit, at which point my post has been lost.

I wasn't uploading images.

I didn't see any other messages than the last thing I was looking at (my post).

More questions! Did you switch to another app or to the home screen while writing or sending the reply?

Sorry about losing your post. I can't seem to replicate the problem, but I have a couple ideas. Let me know if it happens again.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

I think this is a great way to do it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

More questions! Did you switch to another app or to the home screen while writing or sending the reply?

Sorry about losing your post. I can't seem to replicate the problem, but I have a couple ideas. Let me know if it happens again.

This happens literally every time I try to reply. I haven't been able to reply for a couple of days now. The usual reset and stuff hasn't helped. 

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tuyop posted:

This happens literally every time I try to reply. I haven't been able to reply for a couple of days now. The usual reset and stuff hasn't helped.

You're sure this is in the version of Awful that's linked in the OP, that only came out a couple of days ago?

Hit me with a PM and we can test things out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

You're sure this is in the version of Awful that's linked in the OP, that only came out a couple of days ago?

Hit me with a PM and we can test things out.

I was using Awful 1.7.1, not this S II MAXX thing with the ugly icon. The s 2 max one seems to be working correctly though, thanks.

Edit: both apps were the versions linked in the OP.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Here's a weird bug involving opening an image to full screen. I really wish it had happened with a different image though…

Btw I originally tried to post this using the built in image uploading and it just crashed the app completely when I hit that I'm sure on the Reply button.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That doesn't look like a bug to me unless I'm misunderstanding the issue. It looks like it's just a transparent gif.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm trying to quote a post in the political email forward thread. This post:

Zwabu posted:

I'm pretty sure the 47 percent number is people who don't pay federal income tax.

Using the 1.9 app (?). The post window comes up, but no text is in it. Actually, I can't quote anything in that thread (or at least on that page, 460. After testing it more, it's the whole thread). I don't know if this is supposed to be in an email instead of here.

I can't give any more details than that (I mean, if you ask for them I can, I just don't know any now!). Quoting works in other threads. I'm almost certain it's worked in that thread before too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

That doesn't look like a bug to me unless I'm misunderstanding the issue. It looks like it's just a transparent gif.

That is indeed what's happening. Though to be fair, people post images on SA expecting them to go on a light grey or blue background, so we can probably do better than black.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

myron cope posted:

I'm trying to quote a post in the political email forward thread. This post:

Using the 1.9 app (?). The post window comes up, but no text is in it. Actually, I can't quote anything in that thread (or at least on that page, 460. After testing it more, it's the whole thread). I don't know if this is supposed to be in an email instead of here.

I can't give any more details than that (I mean, if you ask for them I can, I just don't know any now!). Quoting works in other threads. I'm almost certain it's worked in that thread before too.

As far as I'm concerned, if we can talk in this thread about features in upcoming versions, we can talk about bugs in upcoming versions.

When you can't quote the post in the app, can you quote it in Safari?

Are there a couple of newlines in the post window, or is it completely blank?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pokeyman posted:

As far as I'm concerned, if we can talk in this thread about features in upcoming versions, we can talk about bugs in upcoming versions.

When you can't quote the post in the app, can you quote it in Safari?

Are there a couple of newlines in the post window, or is it completely blank?

Hm, now it works. It has gone to a new page, if that has anything to do with it. I didn't try it in Safari, but I'm almost certain no new lines showed up, just a blank post window. I also didn't try to post from it to see if there were any weird formatting bugs or anything. I guess I should have. If it happens again I'll do some more tests.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is there a way to make the app save its state in a thread? Whenever I multitask and the app is pushed out of ram, I thought proper iOS behavior was to still take a snapshot and reload it when you switch back to it, but for me the app just reloads like it hasn't been opened before.

I know I'm on an old device (iPhone 4) but I have lost my place in threads twice today just literally quickly hopping out to the maps app (which obviously must be pretty memory intensive), checking something, then switching back to Awful. It dumps me back at my bookmarks list every time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm not quite sure why or how, but I still see TCC in the new app?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

pokeyman posted:

Is it better than:

Eh. A lot of threads are megathreads and who's posting in it now is more relevant than who started it 2 years ago.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Absolutely not important in the scheme of things but is it possible for animated gifs to play within the app? They animate when viewing a thread but when I click on them only the first frame shows.

I have no idea if that made sense, sorry!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Is there a way to make the app save its state in a thread? Whenever I multitask and the app is pushed out of ram, I thought proper iOS behavior was to still take a snapshot and reload it when you switch back to it, but for me the app just reloads like it hasn't been opened before.

I know I'm on an old device (iPhone 4) but I have lost my place in threads twice today just literally quickly hopping out to the maps app (which obviously must be pretty memory intensive), checking something, then switching back to Awful. It dumps me back at my bookmarks list every time.

Sorry about that. It's definitely on my list, I even know how I'm going to do it. Problem is it's not as easy as "take a snapshot and reload it".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slingshot effect posted:

Absolutely not important in the scheme of things but is it possible for animated gifs to play within the app? They animate when viewing a thread but when I click on them only the first frame shows.

I have no idea if that made sense, sorry!

Makes sense and it's on my list!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

I'm not quite sure why or how, but I still see TCC in the new app?

All I blocked is the forum itself from the list of forums. If you manage to get to threads in TCC or add it to your favorites, you'll see it.

Hopefully it can come back soon.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

New bug I just encountered. Some threads are showing up twice in the forum view. It persists after refreshing the forum or changing to bookmarks and back. I think I may have scrolled to the top while the second page of threads was still loading.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I think others have mentioned it but the brief "freeze" that occurs when you click on new page or any other forum link is kind of annoying. I know its not technically loading slower but I like to know its working and not non-responsive.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pokeyman posted:

All I blocked is the forum itself from the list of forums. If you manage to get to threads in TCC or add it to your favorites, you'll see it.

Hopefully it can come back soon.
Did they give an answer to how seeing it in-app is any different from seeing it in their own browser? It's not like you're submitting an app called "pokeyman's drug tips" or whatever. I have never even been to TCC and don't even care you can't get to it in the app, it's just the principle of it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The rejection cited this rule: "Apps that encourage excessive consumption of alcohol or illegal substances, or encourage minors to consume alcohol or smoke cigarettes, will be rejected", and included two screenshots: the first page of threads in TCC and the OP from the marijuana concentrate thread. I don't think these screenshots are evidence of breaking that rule (note the word excessive), nor do I think TCC in general does anything the rule discusses, but I'm not the arbiter here.

I asked if it was a rating problem (I had revised some of the age ratings since removing the built-in browser) and was told it would be best to remove the content altogether.

Which I did, in the interest of getting Awful into the App Store before 2013.

I think ultimately we can get Awful into the store with TCC. I'll keep trying. I'm just not sure when it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Okay, so, what am I missing?

Edit: It shows up in my main thread listing (without being a favorite) and I can read the threads.

• Locked thread