Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

BTW is there some reason the SQLite database is exposed via iTunes file sharing? Seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another minor bug. Easy to repro at least:

1. Pinch expand to go into full screen mode.
2. Open a photo in full screen mode.
3. Go back and you have the bottom bar but not the top one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I called it "pinch expand." I'm not sure what the official term is, the gesture where you zoom in.

To be honest, I don't use the feature except by accident.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another visual bug:

Open bookmarks tab.
Press Edit button.
Scroll down.

The unread counts are half off the screen, probably because the rows are not adjusting size to account for the delete button

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Awful S2 Max on an iPhone 5:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Page forward / back could use some kind of indicator that its doing something after you tap.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Last one is the level select screen for Doom or Doom 2 but I don't know what exactly the background is.

The burden one is something from the Zulu war but don't know what exactly.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 15, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Love the new look. I think the highlight when you tap on a thread is still the old color, which doesn't match the new softer blue you're using everywhere ele.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It could also be a bit taller. It's probably the same size as it was before but now the table has a shadow which makes but seem smaller to me, and harder to hit.

Edit: oops quoting didn't work there. That was about the thing at the bottom that says how many pages are left.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new text at thread end is a little wordy but I don't have any good suggestions to fix it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe put "tap to refresh" in smaller type underneath?

... Or never mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Never mind, didn't realize you could tap to make the blue top bar go away in the photo viewer.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 11, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like a bug if you follow a link to another thread, the new thread may say page 1 of 16, but the page chooser only has the current page in it. And when I pressed the Next page button, it crashed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pokeyman posted:

The pull for next page bug is fixed in 1.9.1. Unfortunately you'll have to hit it twice until then.

Why did it only affect fast moving threads? Was it only if the total page count changed?

This app sure has to handle a lot of edge cases.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Something about the below comment makes the thumbnails work but clicking on them gets a 404.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513877&pagenumber=46#post410824135

I think maybe an issue with image URLs that have parameters which are probably pretty rare.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 23, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh it actually works ok, just every thread has only has one page and the 20 next unread posts are at the end of it after a bunch of read ones.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I second updating the thread title so people know they don't need to report the bug.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oddly, the thread tags thing just started crashing for me today. Before that it was just doing the really long page 1 of 1.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can you still just replace the stylesheet in iTunes? That would work for something simple like font size.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've seen a bug a few times where I open the app, it's set to open in the bookmarks tab first, and it immediately gets a popup network error when it refreshes. Almost too quickly, like its not even hitting a server. If I manually pull to refresh, it works.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is really picky but in dark mode, the "loading unread posts" text in the middle of the screen with the spinner seems to be doubled up or something so it's not quite right. Or maybe a shadow that doesn't work on the black background (this definitely looks like it now that I see the screenshot at 2x)?

It kind of looks like faked bold or something.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 22, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently spoiler tags work on images now on the real forums but not in the app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of the stickied threads in Ask Tell is missing a thread icon:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531156&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TACD posted:

I feel like the real problem here is iOS' text selection mechanism, but I don't know if there's any clean way the app could compensate for this at all?

Wonder if it is possible in iOS to let you select text, then hit the ... button on the post and Quote, and only have it use the selected text in the quote.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI, first time I started the app after this update, a lot of my favorites showed infinity unread counts. Seems to be working after I forced a refresh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those are both non retina devices, right? And the font icon is a pretty detailed serif font. Maybe just needs to be redone as a non retina resource.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mine took a long time to start up after today's update, like 30 seconds on an iPhone 5.

New reply icon is much better!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did I mention how much I like the new compose icon? Much better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this right?

It seems to have an extra row for icons that is blank, on an iPhone 5.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Instapaper's API actually does support creating bookmarks where you provide the HTML source in the call, for private things like the forums. Not sure if there is a need to Instapaper individual comments, but that is how you would do it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another idea for the pile: it would be nice to have some way to see really long thread titles when you are in a thread and they are cut off. Maybe tap and hold?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There's a few people working on it, I believe, plus taking money gets a little iffy with the official SA guys.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think there might be a very minor bug here.

Follow an internal link to a thread.
Bookmark that thread.
Go to bookmarks list and that thread is missing an icon.

I couldn't reproduce that but maybe it only happens the first time onw given thread?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Which thread? Or more specifically, what's the thread's icon? If the icon is newer than the most recent release, the app has to download it before it'll appear. And Awful can't tell what a thread's icon should be until it opens a list (bookmarks, a forum) with that thread in it.

And when you say "missing an icon", do you mean it has the "empty thread" icon or just blank space?

It was the thread linked in this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508117&perpage=40&pagenumber=162#post416336099

It should have the Apple logo, but it was just a blank space the first time I went to the Bookmarks tab after adding it. After I refreshed, it showed up. Maybe that is just how it works?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

All that debate over what icon to use for the reply button, and with iOS 7, it will just get turned back into text.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, that's one bummer of it not being an "official" app.

The official Apple way to do this now is to put some HTML in the page that pops up an App Banner in Safari. It would have a button to launch the app and provide the context, like which thread you clicked.

This stuff: http://developer.apple.com/library/...AppBanners.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How hard is to add the mail link action for posts and comments? Or am I the only one who would use that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm mainly using it to send links to myself, so I can check them out later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, I thought that rap sheet icon was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Dave posted:

I don't believe there is an ETA at all on the iOS7 redesign. You can follow all of the design/development progress in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564303

I guess this isn't even recompiled against iOS 7, since it's not showing the new keyboard.

• Locked thread