Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
World of tanks fan here, doesn't really matter to me if it's just K-On -music +tanks so long as the tank combat, even if World of Tanks arcade levels of idealism forms a non trivial portion of the screentime.

Stug is pretty awesome and agreed that the Czech tanks are actually better than they seem. That Matilda though should be able to largely murderize their entire team; its heavily armored for its time and the gun is no slouch. The Churchills(iirc?) though aren't as formidable.

If their strategy in the opening bit is to lure in that formation into narrower canyons where they can get in close enough to pierce its armor, or have them advance on the stug one at a time without being able to flank it they should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was actually really happy to see them doing the thing where you kick the driver to get them to change directions; there was a lot of an almost nostalgic Ender's Game'ish humor to the whole thing. Remember during the first time in the Battle Room where everyone just sorta flailed their arms around in Zero-G until Alai and Ender figured everything out? So seeing a bunch of girls flail around inside their tanks I found to be amusing, but that's maybe my World of Tanks fanboyism speaking; I'm frankly surprised they got anywhere near as accurate as they did, isn't tank gunnery courses like three weeks?

Leaving aside the superhuman if not in fact physically impossible feat of getting a tank that was submerged for two years in perfect working condition in under twenty four hours. I'm gonna just speculate here that there's literally zero men on that super carrier and its basically a big giant prep school.

But yeah guesses is that they'll go the WoT route and dial down the realism maintenance wise in order to focus on barreltank crew shenanigans.

Not gonna lie, the second episode really strained my German :shobon:; assuming the proportions are correct man they have a lot of head room.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That's a Lee (Murican' made tank).

I also like how they animated the characters, they got quite a bit of movement going on.

I can buy the HE shell of a Panzer IV denting a stug, tank destroyers weren't really all that armored until late war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guyver posted:

gently caress it. I like this show. It's not creepy even the bath scene in the third episode was done with a good bit of restraint. The character animation is good and the tank scenes are directed well and fun to watch. The characters themselves are still kind of stock personalities but there's room to grow. It's not even a k-on clone it's a sports anime with tanks.

This is not a bad show.

It helps they had one of the funnier implementations of the 'refusal of the call' I've seen.

"Help us!" :shobon: "No!" :mad: "If you don't you'll have to repeat. :smug:" "gently caress..." :argh:

e: Just dunno, je ne c'est quoi but something about the new girl's mannerisms I like.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 24, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

lodoubt posted:

It just occurred to me that I haven't shared my most dominant fancanon *fantasy* which explains a disturbing amount of the show:

Girls und Panzer is a sequel to Kyoukaisenjo no Horizon taking place 290 years later.

My friends writhe with dread every moment that brings this closer to being true.

EDIT: In unrelated news, my World of Tanks server is *coincidentally* (Girls und Panzer is in the cover image) having a 'tanks + anime' themed competition.

You have a world of tanks server? How does that work out...? I thought there was the NA, Euro and Chinese servers only.

Although every once in a while I'm like "Hey guys did you know there's a world of tanks anime?" And everyone is like "what...."

The show has every excuse to be bad but it managed to not be bad, and I really want to see what's going to happen with those Churchills.

What interests me, long term is that lets presume this is more like your typical shonen fair and that the Heroes need to 'get stronger' to defeat more powerful foes. We already see the older sister might be foreshadowed as a rival and she's in a friggin' PzKpfw VI Ausf. E Tiger and her teammates are probably in something equally ridiculous, not to mention possible unstoppable badass machines like the IS-3M, T-62A or the Patton that could be out there. The Panzer IV was given a long barreled high velocity 7.5cm gun for a reason and tanks the Tiger was designed to fight are most definitely it.

So I'm curious is if they eventually upgrade their tanks; so the Lee->Firefly Sherman with the 17 pounder; Stug->Nashorn (Super 88mm); Panzer IV->....Panther? Newer Panzer IV? The Czech and Japanese tank's are slightly more difficult to find analogues for... The only half decent looking Japanese tanks never left the drawing board and likely inferior to anything the Russians or Germans had in 1945 in terms of raw performance. My guess is T-34-85 or T-44...

I think one of the best parts of the show is getting the what appear to be accurate interior shots, and accurate 'in combat use' scenes of the tanks in action. I actually didn't know how they spun the turret until now as I've never looked.

:gifttank: :spergin:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 26, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh and I was bored when dead in WoT so I decided to browse the WOT forums to see if there was any mention... And apparently the makers of the anime sponsor a in game clan. I wonder if there's any behind the scenes talks? Not likely but its nice to think about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't understand the Panzer vor joke though can someone explain it? That's my only issue is that when they do try to be clever with the faux german is flies over my head :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nine of Eight posted:

Dear god, don't read the world of tanks forum link. It's pretty bad.

The "There's Girls driving my tanks WHYYYY!? :qq:" is pretty terrible.

Like look at all the advantages of real life female tankers, they probably have a drivers license meaning you don't have to get one yourself! :mil101:

Hey look someone gave us a smiley ^^

But yeah, re-echo'ing the sentiment I said earlier, there's good historical reasons for female tankers such as less space used and better ergonomics. (If you take up less room, you also probably don't bump your arms against protruding pointy bits)

I finally got the Panzer vor joke :sigh: as I hadn't caught them literally saying it in German the first time. :(

e: Oh, and another observation, the reason why you can tell Miho is probably a capable tank commander is because of how often she willingly sits outside the turret to get a better view of the overall battlefield despite its dangers. This is "Sign of a Good Tank Commander 101" essentially and was something generally encouraged of German tankers until a wider proliferation of snipers discouraged the trend and the development of larger cupola's.

Relatedly since we have WoT style tank on tank brawling it changes the dynamic considerably as to what makes a decent tank. In the second world war the Germans, French, the Japanese and British could all largely continue to produce and field relatively large numbers of "light" tanks, tankettes and cruiser/infantry support mediums because a tank did not need a gently caress off penetrating gun to deal with their primary role. Which was to get a breakthrough (such as past fortifications or trenches) and wreck poo poo behind the enemy lines to cause confusion.

So well rounded all rounders like the Panzer III series were probably some of the best early war tanks due to a good combination of armor, mobility, versatility, crew ergonomics and gunnery due to the ability to switch between wrecking a ground pounders day and being capable or dealing swift long range death to enemy tanks also likely to be unsuited for anti tank warfare. (Since other nations were relatively slower than the Germans at TD role tanks)

This is largely due to I believe IIRC infantry held anti tank rifles and similar were good enough that making a tank able to kill a tank probably seemed like an unnecessary complication.

However Our Heroes here are not fulfilling the breakthrough role or fighting infantry but are purely fighting over tanks. The emphasis will probably be on the ability to either kill at a distance if you cannot take hits up close, kill up close if you cannot kill at a distance; or the ability to quickly move and take advantage of terrain to do whichever your tank is best suited to. The Panzer III/IV remains decent because of its mobility and crew ergonomics, making it capable in the hands of a skilled crew and under a good commander capable of handling far larger threats (See the historical early Barbarossa examples of the Panzer III managing to eek out wins against the Kliment Voroshilov tanks).

But in general because the attacker needs to usually approach the defenders if you have a good tank destroyer then the advantage is distinctly yours because this is decades before fire control systems got implemented allowing for accurate "on the move" fire. Honestly the American TD's have a good advantage in this series due to their sheer mobility and firepower resembling the 'Picard Maneuver' in some respects.

Late war German tanks actually have the distinct disadvantage because of their limited effective niches, mainly defencive slow moving combat in the open or built up defencive positions (Nashorn, Ferdy, King Tiger, Jadg-XYZ). Though the Tiger and Panther are the exceptions that prove the rule; the late war and early post war Russian tanks make good candidates but their guns tended to lower armor penetration values than their German counter parts due to either concerns about keeping up production numbers (using proven already in production guns) or the need to have a good HE round for dealing with emplacements (for normal war anti infantry roles that are irrelevant in GuP).

So assuming the size of the girls is small enough I would rate the earlier pre-Hexagon turret model T-34 as the best tank to have and drat near overpowered for them. Followed by the up gunned Panzer III/IV (5cm), Sherman, followed by the SU-85 (slopped armor), Stug III, and then the Wolverine.

:mil101: Alrighty that's all the :spergin: I got for now until we see some more action.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 27, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nah, its clear the relative strengths and weaknesses matter based on the words so far spoken/alluded to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Stop firing at your allies!" :haw:

This must be that mythical 10% Crew game mode I kept hearing about :smug:

I mean honestly, you couldn't even try to miss that horribly in world of tanks, you would likely hit some poor AMX instead.

e: Oh, and I got a good line for this show if anyone ever does an Abridged Series at 12:21

"My cabbages!" :smith:

e2: Anyone else think the ending is reminiscent of the ending for Mass Effect 2? M4's are pretty terrible for them to be up against, especially that number of them :ohdear:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 30, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I imagine the reason why we're having such a relatively fast paced show is so they can cram in more character interactions. I agree with the problems with Tank Lady but then again how much did Anderson ever do in Ender's Game?

I'm still betting my money on upgrading their chassies to something better/late war. When they already potentially have so many characters comprising the other schools I don't really see them adding more to their team either, what I think I do see is them allying up with other schools as this was I think implied this episode as A Thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rexides posted:

It's an anime. They are going to win due to their clever plans, determination and cakeBurning Spirit.

The infiltration operation in this episode was amazing :ninja:

Actually it honestly was, its pretty amazing how she came up with a fairly effective plan that had a realistic chance of success. If you really wanted to know what that other school was planning why wouldn't you steal a uniform and waltz in? Most anime plans wish they were that clever.

Its so... simple. That and it was some nice animation there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zettace posted:

This series is really surprising. It feels like it was written as a tank battle anime first and foremost and then the girls were added in later to increase sales. Well, it's apparently working as the DVDs are selling like hotcakes.

Which is really key to its success, if it was just K-On with Tanks I don't think it would have nearly the outreach it currently has (as there's better K-On clones already); that and its genuinely funny.

next episode looks like it might be a drama episode, that and beginning the fight with the Italy team. :smug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
WWII era tanks had absolutely no ability to fire accurately on the move and every thing I read about it places emphasis on the need to stop first before firing. Its hideously inaccurate even in World of Tanks where you have mouse muscle memory to help narrow it down a little. The Sherman I think had a gun stabilizer installed mid war that could allow it to fire more accurately when on the move within 15 degrees but most had it disabled for some reason.

Since 95% of the shots this episode have been while moving its perfectly Myth Busters level plausible.

I'm actually surprised as well at how much action we've been getting, they have their character pacing moments of wandering our town or talking in their room but its been a large chunk.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Monkey Man posted:

You know, I thought there was something a bit unrealistic about this show, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

:golfclap: Good one sir!

quote:

If I learned anything about tank warfare from Company of Heroes, its that the StuG is slow as poo poo with a turns peed that borders on cold molasses, but the main gun penetrates much better against frontal armor, the PIV is a much better all around tank and much faster.

I played the Blitzkrieg mod and while the stug was good in its TD role, I much preferred the panther and tiger for their protection as the stug was always going to die in one hit. But yeah most of what I read likewise indicates that the stug would be slow and not as likely to get there in time; and as a poster said somewhere above the PZ4 crew were the most experienced.

Who is the history girl in the scarf supposed to be though?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

My university Classical Greek professor (who also taught Latin) explained to me that Kaiser was the correct pronounciation of Ceasar. I was a bit put-off? You mean we, in the goold old USA, don't pronounce it correctly? How dare the world tell us that?

Apparently so.

Okay. Do large aircraft-carriers-turned-into-community-schools make any sense at all to anyone? I wonder if perhaps this is a mechanism by which a country with limited land space might expand out? Perhaps, rather than colonizing land, which isn't available any longer without a war to take it, they just build this massive ships and move them around the ocean.

Then, I also wonder, what happens in a large storm? It's gotta be hell on a ship like that in a big storm. No?

There are some really large passenger liners with a lot of technology to avoid capsizing in a storm; it makes some level of plausibility if we're assuming something bordering on a post scarcity society where the only real bottleneck is land.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's problems with that though, Japan's artificial airport island for instance is slowly sinking despite extraordinary effort, the geography of the sea floor may not support it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Command Ant posted:

The world was ravaged by a plague that only war nerds were immune to, so they were the only ones left to rebuild society.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

:pseudo: A mobile reeducation camp!

:allears: Seems like you called it! Chairman Independent-Cosmopolitan Thought!

Zettace posted:

They also found a Tiger and a new gun for the Panzer IV which should add some much needed firepower. I wonder if the Type 89 will replaced as a result as it's kind of useless since it can't penetrate anything and lacks speed.

Is that what they did? I thought the Bis had two guns, cool!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Panzer IV->....Panther? Newer Panzer IV?

Called it.

Mako's grandmother is the best grandmother. :unsmith:

I'm getting some Saki vibes with the main character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Hey, you, someone's wrong with our line up."
"What's wrong sir?"
"It lacks impact."
"Well here's some other vehicles sir.." *points at corner of desk*
"Well wait, what about that one?" *points to other side of desk.*
"That's a StuGIII sir, that's not a tank, that's a assault gun."
*stares while mouthing the word impact.* :colbert:
"Okay fine." :rolleyes:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gently caress that, they actually screamed "Urrrrraaah!!" :neckbeard:

fake edit: THEY SUNG KATYUSHA!? :swoon: in Russian it sounds like? :aaa: The jaw is making itself comfortable on my floor.

This is instantly the best show.

Here's the Japanese version and my favorite version.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Its an actual Russian war cry and a loving demoralizing one as well if you were German/Japanese. Because it meant you were about to get zerg rushed by determined abominably tough soldiers. The Japanese introduced the whole 'bushido' thing entirely because of it after the 1903 War.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can't be, where's my self propelled Conscript grenade launcher and tri barreled mammoth tanks? :colbert:

This show's production team KNOWS their audience I think, everything they could do they have done.

e: Also nice that I can watch this in public and show to more casual people.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nine of Eight posted:

You're spot on about the demoralizing effect of a bunch of angry cossacks and peasant conscripts bayonet charging you, but I can assure you that "Bushido" goes a little ways further back, especially since the Japanese were the ones doing the most Zerg-rushing during the Russo-Japanese conflict.

Nope, Bushido is an entirely invented concept dating from a Japanese-American book in the 1880's and reimported back to Japan after the Russo-Japanese War, at least according to the documentary I watched regarding Musashi.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah a properly crewed tiger should actually single handedly knock out every single one of the enemy tanks. The IS-2 was more of a counter to the Panther than the other German heavies though it could do the job under the right conditions. Russian units typically for most of the war had difficulties in defending from pincer attacks (of where they surround a German unit, but then have to fight its breakout and the relief force) so I'm thinking a mad breakout attempt with the Tiger supporting from outside.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I would pay the 100$ that Japan would inevitably charge us for it. :smith:

I would personally hope for "The Decemberists", "Smuglyanka", "The Sacred War", "There march the soldiers", "Dyen Pobedy" and "The Samovars". :unsmith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artificer posted:

I feel bad for Team Sanders and Team Darjeeling as well. They seem like pretty cool girls.

Then again, they didn't seem to take their loss too hard, so there's that. I wonder what's up with the Russian vice commander? She is really quiet. Sorta like the Oorai team's gunner only without emotion...

I imagine she's supposed to be a Molotov analogue as everything I hear about him is that he took care to never ever let anyone know what he was thinking or feeling as a survival instinct.

But yes, The Russian team captain is literally Stalin also has a nice ring to it.

When I get back home I can try to splice it together to get a 3-5 minute song like those fake full OP's. The only problem with them singing every Red Army Choir song is that it probably crosses over from fair use to infringement if they did so. (As they only did the chorus and the first verse afaik for Katuysha)

What made me laugh was that instead of your typical straight man act where her role would typically be (Molotov-chan) to be like "Sigh, you know we can't do that" her correction was just as chilling and scary. "25 days in remedial classes without sunlight" Now that's the Russian education system that *I* remember! :black101:

I kinda want them to win too as they are pure undiluted awesome but otherwise we kinda don't get a show considering the stakes.

What are the likely teams after this or is the round after this one their last one?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DerLeo posted:

Hey, their ships are docked in the same place: may just get an 'annexation.'

(I can hope)

The Russian carrier is also an oversized Admiral Kuznestov class "aircraft carrying cruiser" as well :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I made a shorter version that snips off the talking at the beginning for easier infinite looping. Unfortunately I have yet to re-install Adobe Premiere so making a 3-4 minute version may take a while.

Yes I kept in the War Cry. :allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

genki posted:

It's not there. What the gently caress. I'm not happy.

Called it. Licensing issues. According to :tvtropes:

Also according to the above the only allowed models are anything that actually that had a prototype as of V-J Day.

Also apparently in our alternate history here men were forbidden from driving tanks because it was thought it would start wars (being developed in the 20's instead of WWI?) and so WWII seems to have had tank crews with only women, which is kinda cool.

e: Also thanks to the above I've learned that the Radio Operating from the Saunders battle is voiced by Aya Hirano! I knew she was awesome.

e2: I keep coming back and thinking about the latest battle in ep 8 and here's my thoughts.

It's not actually a bad strategy on paper, hit the enemy first and harder when they least expect it. The US Army Armored Corps has a specific term of this where they have a highly mobile strike team of tanks and ifv's go in and wreck poo poo and then pull out leaving the enemy disorganized and demoralized. The point in those engagements is to prove your utter superiority over the enemy by showing them that there's nothing they can do to stop you from doing that at a time and place of YOUR choosing. This was done with great effect in Iraq and by the Soviets in Afghanistan.

In some ways its also a useful strategy in this situation, the reasoning/rationalization provided by Miho is correct. The pravda team is far more likely to benefit from a protracted drawn out engagement.

The Soviet tanks with their wider treads and diesel engines are more reliable in harsh arctic conditions than the mishmash of tanks and minor adjustments Ourai could make. The chances of getting stuck if they stay still for too long are non trivial and a frequent problem for German tankers on the eastern front.

Additionally the advantage of armor lies mostly in their concentration and mobility, so putting all of their tanks together to spearhead straight for the flag tank is likely to not be easily stopped.

There's four problems though and Miho's original plan is likely better for these reasons:

1) The Soviet team is likely much better suited for the defence where you can easily provoke the enemy to fight on your terms, superior numbers means they can cover more avenues of attack. Better winter clothing and preparations mean that they can sit still, also as above the Soviet vehicles are more reliable in winter so the risk of getting frozen still is much less.

2) Team Pravda seems like a symbiosis of a 1943/1944 Soviet Army that managed to relearn Deep Operations, so took careful note of Ourai's movements through reconnaissance; used Maskirovka to keep their forces hidden (encouraging the recklessness of Ourai's overconfidence). Baiting the enemy team and then carefully encircling the enemy with superior forces once they were successfully drawn in to an enclosed area where the superior range and accuracy of the long 75mm is diminished (And where the superior close range brawling of the IS-2's 122mm gun gains the advantage). Pravda, like the RL Soviet Army uses operational proficiency to make up for the tactical short comings of the early war T-34's. Finally the merging of the political with the military with the whole surrender bit where victory is more important than annihilating the enemy (also a Sun Tzu saying).

3) While Deep Operations works just as well for the attack, much of the Soviet advantage of it comes from support units such as overwhelming artillery which is lacking in the tank battles. The best they got is the slow loading KV-2 with the derp, and lack rail mounted rocket launchers. So on the attack they face a distinct disadvantage against the longer ranged long barrel guns of the StugIII and the up gunner Panzer IV.

4) Also lastly, the Soviets are simply better at maneuver war in the winter, their tanks are faster and more maneuverable and better trained for it. Ourai COULD win a maneuver war against a numerically superior team, it has plenty of historical precedents. The problem is their mishmash can't outrun the T-34's so they can't effectively disengage to perform hit and run attacks. Luring them into ambushes would be futile because Pravda could simply envelop the ambush.

:mil101:

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 6, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

tonberrytoby posted:

More awesome music. :allears: There really needs to be an extended soundtrack.

Dancing too. Even better.
I suppose there were some fun tank chases.

Best episode of the series for the best Non-JoJo anime of the season.

No Mega, its the Stug where its at :black101:

For the love of everything I hope the result is a draw :ohdear:

Pravda is awesome.

Miho is officially bad rear end, that took guts. to stand on top of your tank

It was great to see a lot of WOT tactics this episode:

Annoying light scout tank, shooting treads, hiding a TD in the snow, etc

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah Remember that in pretty much all of the previous scenes Hitler!Girl never helped, Monocle girl had to load AND aim/fire.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That's not actually bad, maybe the white bits from when you pasted it from the original source could be cleaned up a little but the proportions for the head-body look right.

Which reminds me, I like that song [e: Advance in the snow] too they were singing.

e2: Hrm, I can't seem to find it. Anyone got a link to the original song?

e3: On an unrelated note, fanart of Katyusha really reminds me more of Khrushchev instead of Stalin.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 12, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

Well, that episode finally renewed faith in this series. Not that stalling for 3/4 of the episode with unnecessary teeth-gritting moe wasn't a complete waste of time, but finally watching someone drive and fire a tank well was quite glorious. Never knew the 38t had it in it, but perfectly possible with the shots it made. Flank, dodge, weak points/side armor/rear armor, and effective use of terrain. That committee member, besides Ooari and the stug crew, must be the only non-pubbie of their entire team. At least the others know how to follow orders. M3 Lee, still a shitbucket.

So, yeah, shamefully watch this WoT goon bait of a show. For all the hand-wringing moe drama you have to put up with, they better roll out the Tiger P really soon. After realizing that silhouette wasn't a typical Tiger H, it's been the only thing I look forward to in this show anymore. It's probably my favorite tier 7 heavy in WoT, even more than the technically superior T29. Fuckoff hull armor, and the knowledge of how to use it right, will always be more useful than hull-down only supremacy.

BTW, thanks for pointing out what the end-of-episode chibi tank thing was. Even though the Type 3 is another paper-armored hearse, at least it gets a 75. I'd replace the Type 89, but it seems tank crews spring up everywhere in this show. Don't hold out much hope it'll matter, I don't expect another season. At least it provides tons of content with which to troll the WoT forums.

Most of the episode was one giant Stalingrad analogy though, and I think did a good job in building tension.

And I mean c'mon, the anglerfish dance call back and that Russian Squat Dance, Sumire showing off yet another Russian folk song, and Guderian and the scouting scenes were all pretty fun.

I dunno, its starting to seem as if like any grin worthy scene that's fun qualifies as moe so long as there's a girl in it which may not really be an instructive definition.

I think that they drive tanks invalidates any negativity from whatever moe it may have. :mil101:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm vaguely sorrowful for the good ole' days of Walt Disney's tyranny who could spot deviant individual frames and would fire the whole staff to make a point.

Animators no longer have the fear of Walt Disneygod in em' anymore :( :commissar:

On the other hand, I feel vaguely sorry for the animator in question in that after this he's probably going to have difficulty finding work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"We're World of Tanks nerds" Oh Commie! :allears:

What's so face palming about the Tiger P catching fire?

I love how as opposed to your typical dictator Katyusha was rather composed and dignified in defeat... once she was done crying of course :3:

I respect it as I'm a sore loser myself.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 18, 2012

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the only time I ever get annoyed is when it becomes difficult to actually figure out what is being said. Like with the Guderian quote this episode, something along the lines of strike swiftly and win or something?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Magni posted:

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen" can best be translated along the lines of "Don't poke, punch!" IE, if you attack, do it with everything you can bring and don't hold back or dilute your strenght.

Right, but how are the rest of us non-German speakers supposed to know!?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Artificer posted:

Flower arrangement must be surprisingly strenuous.

Holy crap the girl eats a lot... I think its kinda sad that I only just got the point of the post only just now. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wind Tempest posted:

So given how much Miho's family is obsessed with winning at all costs. I would be greatly entertained if Miho's entire plan is to point out how flawed such a statement is by forcing her sister to sacrifice 19 more advanced late WWII tanks to take out 7 inferior early WWII tanks and ending the battle with Miho telling Maho that even if she takes the win, it would be so Pyrrhic that it would be considered a complete loss by anyone who knows about Tankery.

Is there a reason why they didn't put the original Panzer IV's cannon on the Type 89? I don't think I see that gun anywhere and giving the Type 89 something that can actually do some damage would be nice, similarly aside from having an extra body on the field why are they still using it?

Sounds a bit right, has a very Saving Private Ryan feel to it, the final battle there from either perspective if you think about it.

quote:

I can't really stay too mad. Any chance you get to piss of Nazi apologists, you take it. And boy will that piss 'em off. Still a shame to do it to, quite arguably, the best of the two Tiger designs. Watching a Tiger H burn to the ground miles from battle would get my full and complete support.

At least it was funny :v:

quote:

The reason production Tigers didn’t have 200 mm of frontal armour is because it was unnecessary against most of the guns being fired at them and it would have used scarce steel (and oil to move the extra weight) and exacerbated the Tiger’s mobility and reliability issues.

How come they never refitted the Tiger production lines to give it slopped armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Monkey Man posted:

I loving love the cover for the soundtrack album.

Not just that but full length version of Katyusha :neckbeard:, the longer version has a much more noticeable Japanese accent. :allears:

Welp, there goes the next few hours as I shift through these to add to my mp3 player.

• Locked thread