Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My first pandemic loaf of bread, hadn't made bread in years. It came out ok, but I wish I wasn't lazy and would just make a sourdough starter already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Cinnamon rolls for more quarantine snack packs

This stirs up feelings in me I can't express. Gooey feelings.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.

Yesterday's loaf was an abysmal, overhydrated failure, though, and earned the nickname "mistakeloaf".

Looks good. My loaves almost always collapse. I've never been able to get large space in my bread. I think I don't cook it hot enough, or over kneed it, either way, I've made bread countless times and it never comes out quite how I want it, except pizza crusts, I've gotten some good results with those.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

What temperature are you cooking at? I've found that hotter tends to be better for a lot of my stuff.

Typically I bake bread at under 400, I think because I was chasing softer crust, but I'm learning now that softer crust isn't something you ever get right out of the oven, you have to let it chill in a bag and the crust will soften up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Correct, and often you want a high initial temp to maximize oven spring before the outer crust dries out and solidifies too much. All crust will soften if you put it in a ziploc overnight (after the bread has come to room temp).

My plan is to get a dutch oven or cast iron pan soon to give the bread more heat...watched this recently and it's what made me aware that I was cooking at way too low of temps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3ZcuxxEhw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

large hands posted:

I use a big Rubbermaid that fits in our cupboard and holds exactly a 50lb sack

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OMG Trip report on the donuts?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That looks/sounds amazing, congrats.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RoastBeef posted:

Milk Bread:

This will go great with my milk steak.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Not pro level aeration or anything, but pretty pleased with the oven spring this morning. I probably should have fed my starter Bosco a day or two more out of the fridge because the sour flavor is a bit muted. Not going to complain though.

Crumb looks perfect.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is what I do with my pizza dough. Olive oil on everything, including my hands and arms.

More like Lubed and Ready

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Any recommendations on cheap/large cutting boards to kneed dough on?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Huxley posted:

I used all different types and all different sizes and materials and settled on ... if you have halfway decent countertops, just clean them well and go to down right on the countertop. Nothing else will be as stable to work on or as easy to clean up afterward. I would really only resort to kneading on a board if the only other option was doing it on the floor or something. Even then I'd probably masking tape down wax paper instead.

e: unless you're doing pastry, which I'm not an expert on but I am pretty sure your pastry work wants to be on a chilled board, but those are usually stone.

The countertop is fine....ugh I really just need a cheap cutting board in general. I found that restaurant supply online you can get a large wood chopping board for 50 bucks, but they're rough cut, but everywhere else the cheapest option for a similar size is over 100 bux.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Honest to goodness, get a marble cheese board. They're cheap, they're tough (mine's lasted 35 years), and it is an absolute joy to do sticky doughs on; your scraper slides across the surface and the dough peels off. And when you do make biscuits or pastry, it's a cool surface without any pre-chilling.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/artisanal-kitchen-supply-reg-12-inch-x-16-inch-marble-board/5288179

Ok this is a great idea thanks. Having the ability to chill it is really good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Working with dough directly on the countertop looks so nice and simple, but it just feels wrong to me, I don't know why. I use a big flexible plastic cutting mat and just throw it in the dishwasher when I'm done. A couple of wet paper towels underneath keep it from slipping, mostly.

I've got another dutch oven boule rising right now. Gonna take my first stab at scoring a design this afternoon.

Yep even if I clean the counter with soap and water and more water, it feels like I'm either getting old cleaning stuff on my food or some left over soap, or dirt...being able to rinse whatever i'm using as a surface is critical to making me feel it's food safe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can empathize if you're stuck with some old formica that conveyed with your house from the 70s or earlier. I've not had issues with stuff grabbing my granite.

On the other hand, I absolutely wouldn't work directly on my concrete countertops outside. For one, they have some divots from my screwing up my screeding...

also I've read that concrete is chemically food safe.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm guessing you mean not food safe? I mean, at least not by default. I had used a food-safe sealant on mine, but another reason I still won't work directly on it is that, well, the sealant is flaking off. I'm not going to do anything about it and until the weather is back in the 60-80F range again in 4+ months.

yep sorry not food safe. I was thinking that maybe it was directly toxic, but i'm reading now it's certain sealants, silica dust (which sealer handles), and pores retaining Bactria that make it a poor food surface. That said I love the look of concrete countertops.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I love the exposed aggregate appearance--or even an exposed aggregate using decorative materials. I had originally gotten a variety of light/clear refined glass specially ordered for my countertop mix that I was going to grind down and expose. My wife, however, wanted pretty much just light-gray countertops with nothing added, so now I guess that's soil filler. It also sabotaged my plan to smooth out irregularities in my screeding. So as it stands, I have to use boards and mats when working with my stuff outside. On the other hand, a messy day in the outdoor kitchen means I just blast everything with a garden hose.

my girlfriend wants an outdoor kitchen badly (we're renting though so can't), and I want a brick oven badly. what I'm saying is, cheers for living the best life :D

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I think I'm getting the hang of this:

These look incredible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Time posted:

i think malt powder is a bigger factor in bagel texture than baking soda v lye in the water

but the baking soda isn't really for texture it's for browning...I think.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I heard if you pee immediately after you use your banneton it's good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Incredible, looks just like calorie mate

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Just pulled these out of my USA pullman pans. Not quite as risen as I might have liked but the crust, ear, and smell are on point.

These look perfect!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the one I’m using. Can’t read the volume on the bottom and can’t remember what it was. Coffee for scale

Used to have that coffee maker...it was a huge pain in the rear end that broke constantly.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dacap posted:

Made some sourdough foccacia today

Look super good, so neatly laid out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but that's not why it would not have had oven spring. The spring comes from the yeast realizing they're going to die and giving one last fart. If they lack food, as someone mentioned above, there you go.

Yeast can be pretty powerful!
https://twitter.com/ailsabm/status/433154320029454336?s=20

Ooo the forbidden sourdough starter

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I made some pitas with sourdough discard but I used so much olive oil they basically became naan.

I'm not mad.

Sounds like a naan issue.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jestery posted:

We doing indian food based puns?

https://youtu.be/X-C2EDE8rew

Samo-sad, brilliant!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

The Walrus posted:

turned out really really well. I do definitely miss the concentric spiral crumb pattern but overall you can't argue with these results

Beauty!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/5N7kM2B.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Love the science-y guy in the lab coat on the factory floor checking the very 60’s machine thingy.

he walks through and presses a single button and keeps walking, what the hell does that button do?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Tried my hand at making one of those fancy instagram decorated focaccias

that is beautiful!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Simple solution for those who live in japan: just drink coffee milk and eat 711 melon pan. And move on with your life.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bakers WILL cut you

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Look at that grain structure

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

horchata posted:

Made cookie butter babka over the weekend...and immediately threw it up cause I had the bright idea of making it after getting my 2nd covid shot. Tastes good though now that I've recovered.

OMG YES

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Murgos posted:

Made bread:

Cinnamon Raisin sourdough made in a pullman. It was delicious, all gone now.

looks amazing, also it looks like the oblivion logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dacap posted:

Made more seeded bread, this time as a Pullman

I just listened to a podcast about this history of George Pullman, the extreme anti union luxury train car creator and train barron who did a lot of bad things to a lot of good people...anyway, kinda wish those bread baking boxes weren't called Pullmans now, it's like calling them Bezos Boxes.