Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You should lye bath both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I recently did a lye bath on my bagels and was pretty happy with the effects. I used about half the concentration I normally do for pretzels (so somewhere around 1:40 lye to H20) and the bagels came out with great color and just a slight twinge of pretzel flavor. It's too bad that the inside was kind of crappy, but I think I'm blaming my sourdough starter for that.

So, I think I will be embarking on a quest to make a new starter(s) in the next week or so, and I'm considering doing one white and one whole wheat starter instead of the 50/50 mix that I've been using up to now. Does anyone have any experience with the different qualities, if any, that using one or the other would have in a given bread recipe?

I don't think you need to make new ones, you can adapt the 50/50 to a new food source and over the course of 8 months all yeast is replaced by what you feed & your environment anyway. Regardless, The Tartine Bread experiment blog is a good resource as she went from a 50/50 to a rye based starter over the course of the blog. I think you just need to keep the starter going and as it gets more robust you'll be AOK.

Speaking of starter, a while back I posted a 1:1 of my starter after not feeding it for a weekend, here is a normal photo, after not feeding it for a weekend:

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 2, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Could it just be too short of a primary? I stalked your post history itt and with my assumption of colorado temps right now sourdoughs are hard. I'm Ohio and the last pure sourdough I did with great oven spring required about a 6 hour primary with S&F every half for the first four hours and one at five and six. Using the extended autolyse in tartine 3 and an overnight secondary. I forget the hydration but I think it was north of 80.

I've yet to attempt sourdough bagels. I'm not sure how diatastic malt powder will behave with sourdough yeast.

The 8 months, at least according to Bread Science, is to fully remove the old culture. So if you ordered a San Francisco sourdough starter, it would become a "your house" sourdough starter in 8 months. Changing the 50-50 to 100% white should impart the 100% white flavor after a few weeks at most. IIRC pure white starters are more sour, but I've never made or used one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone used chakki atta?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm thinking about switching from LA ww to it but don't know what it might do to the starter

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's an uncovered skillet you need steam to prevent crust formation and browing too quickly. A popular method is a sheet pan with towels soaked.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you go that route flour has approximately .5 the gravity of water.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Praise challah for challah is great

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I dunno if mockmill can go fine enough for rice flour, but grinding your own gluten free grains seems to be popular?

I want to get a standalone mill. Komo seems to be the brand to go but does anyone else know?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh 5% is ridiculously high. That gives you a PH of 14, a .5% solution will give you a PH of 13, .05% of 12. Baking Soda will give you roughly 8 or 8.5, you really really really don't need 5%.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use between 1-2% generally so I don't need to use two scales. My first bagels were at 1:200 and they were still much better than soda. 5% is just such a minuscule gain; 3% will give you a PH of 13.9 and the extra .1 won't give you many more mallards. I do boil though rather than cold poach or spray bottle like that one goon does.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rye do you want to know?

/e- here's a good rundown of a 100% rye: http://tartine-bread.blogspot.com/2014/02/sidebar-sunday-happy-accident-100-rye.html

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 14, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

I want to try modifying a pizza dough recipe, using heavy cream to substitute for the olive oil and maybe some of the water. Is this a bad idea? I typically use 1 1/3 cups water and 2 tbsp olive oil with a tbsp salt, packet of yeast, and 3 3/4 cups flour. I'm not really sure how to do the substitution math, but I'd like to try.

Why?

Pizza dough is just bread dough so you should be fine. The fat in the cream will retard gluten like the oil while the sugars in the cream will help the yeast more than your current recipe and may brown quicker depending on your cook due to those sugars and milk solids. Just look for an existing bread dough recipe that uses the ingredients you want near your 60%ish hydration; I don't know what ratio you'd sub offhand. The crumb will likely be more dense but I don't really bake with cream at all.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iodized is bad I think. Kosher or sea, whatever's cheapest. How much are you trying to retard it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can use, and this is off the top of my head so it may be wrong, .3-.5% salt in the levian to delay it a few hours, beyond that you should use the fridge to retard. I do not know if salt will effect the bacteria or yeast more, I suspect it hits the yeast harder so overfermenting would be even worse than with no salt. Grab Bread Science for a good read on all that jazz.

For your starter, if you're getting a hard top on it I assume it isn't covered, you can cover it. Some breathing room in the container will still allow for fermentation via reparation.

Are you doing a pre-shape?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Get a bench scraper and learn to form a preshape from tension; no-kneeds are great but somewhat disingenuous as you still need to shape the gluten. It is possible to deflate a loaf from overworking but don't worry about it. If just knocking into the container deflated it it may have over fermented, that's what I'd expect a sponge or levian to do.

You can keep a starter going in 50-60 degree ambient temp, it'll just be slow going but will eventually rise & fall in a day interval. I think yeast is exponentially more or less active on about 10 degree increments with the sweet spot being around 80 and death at 110. You should definitely cover it if it's in the fridge, but unless you're feeding once a week or need to put the starter in cold storage the fridge isn't needed (you'd also want to have a lower than 100% hydration to help preserve the starter if cold storage.) A starter will really only be dead if it smells of acetone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

autolyse. Warmer water.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

flour is roughly 50% gravity of water and a cup of flour is ~ 125 grams. Your dough is roughly 85%

Sourdough biscuits are a thing, but maybe make dumplings? No idea how everything will interact. If there's baking powder and whatnot in it I also don't know how that may effect the rise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sodium bicarbonate is baking soda, baking powder is baking soda with an acid (creme de tartar) so the introduction of a liquid will cause a reaction. Baking baking soda creates sodium carbonate iirc which is much better than sodium bicarbonate for water baths. I think you want to use it for ramen noodles too, but no experience with that yet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

1kg of dough or 1kg of flour as your 100% weight?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

See if you can activate it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jan posted:

Babby's no knead adventure turned out pretty okay, considering it was basically 10-15 minutes active time including washing the dishes. I used Kenji's recipe, which has a 3 day cold fermentation time that is apparently essential for flavour in no knead bread...

What bothered me is how much every handling step ends up massively deflating the dough. And since it's so soft, I ended up being unable to properly scoop the loaf up smoothly, snagging it on the side of the dutch oven when dropping it in. So I had a slightly misshapen loaf.

It was pretty drat delicious though. I think I might try rising the loaf on parchment paper next time, and just drop the entire parchment paper into the dutch oven.

What's a fun next step I could explore? I actually kind of like kneading, at least based on my limited pasta and flour tortilla experience. :3:
attempt a no kneed but instead of throwing it in the fridge as is, fermenting, for three day; do a preshape, let sit for 10-20 minutes and do the final fermentation in a lined bowl for a day to three. Get a bench scraper and YouTube how people use them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They made a typo. Should have been 3)4 cup not one and, but everything else was so a lovely editor.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Loopoo posted:

The bread turned out okay, but it's one hell of a squat and fat loaf. It tastes delicious, the inside is moist but not wet, the crust is... crusty? It's really lovely. But it looks ugly. I botched up the scoring, and I was a tad overzealous with the flour dusting. What can I do to improve my loaf? I'd prefer if it was a little bit taller, just for aesthetics. Lining the loaf tin with olive oil really produced a great textured crust, just the right amount of bite.

To help you guys with the autopsy:
- 450g plain white flour
- 7g yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 300ml lukewarm water (I went full laboratory mode and measured the temp precisely to get it to 43 degrees celsius, which I read is the perfect temperature for yeast?)

Let it rise for an hour in the loaf tin, and then whammed it in the oven at 220 degrees celsius for 25 minutes.

So I finally googled the conversion and try 38c or 35c if your not pouring it into a cooler vessel. If you wanna go all science again a goon within the last three or so pages posted the bread dough temp formula. Weigh your salt too, density varies by type and brand but you can always be safe with 2% imo. Did it double in bulk? That's more important than time. A 66% white flour dough should have done so. Look for bread flour.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Q8ee posted:

I'm planning on making a sourdough starter, any advice or is it too easy to mess up?

Don't forsake it until it smells of acetone and wash the initial container with baking soda water and steralize in the oven.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You want a bench scraper for 80 percent handling imo. Search on YouTube but you'd use the bench's friction to shape.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

WhoIsYou posted:

You really want to let it cool first. You want the crumb to fully set, and you won't be able to taste the full range of flavors until the loaf has cooled to near room temperature. Sourdough breads are usually best after a few hours. And if you make a high percentage rye bread, it needs a full 24 hours to fully set.

The bowls of water, water spray bottles, soaked towels, etc. provide steam ate the beginning of the bake. The steam delays the formation of the crust, giving the loaf a greater oven spring and a thinner, crisper crust. Professional ovens are built to inject steam when the bread is loaded, so home bakers use water to mimic those ovens.

For a soft bread, you need a little sugar and a little fat to soften the crust and make a finer crumb. Something like a white pan loaf or a pain de mie.

This is very true and a good post but don't be afraid to disregard at times i.e. for fresh toast from non rye I like to cut a bit war.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

has anyone tried baking bread in a cast iron pot on a gas grill? i don't have central AC, so running the oven at 475 for hours during the summer is pretty much a non-starter. it seems like the grill ought to get hot enough to do this, but i would imagine regulating the temperature would be more difficult.

I've done it in my charcoal grill. This year I'll just not bake bread when it's 90+ I think.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can cover it. I use a delitainer but masons are good too. Liquid is fine if it doesn't smell of acetone. If it gets smelling sharp you can also feed it more often.

2:1 is the correct ratio by volume but you should really use a scale to ensure 100% hyrdation until it's strong enough to cut to a 50 or 66% if desired.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 20, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Friend posted:

Oh really? Everything I read said cover with a towel, I assumed air flow was needed.

For the first two feedings? The yeast will gently caress with or without oxygen, you obviously want to condition it for oxygen unless you're making beer but covering a container won't push that threadhold.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Total hydration or initial ratio? Fresh ground sourdough can get in the 90's total.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a direct 1:1 sub won't work without adjusting for hydration

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/49100/blackberry-rye-bread

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I tried it, I prefer the boil. 5% is the most you can use. I don't know if I didn't let it sit or what but not nearly the same browning as a boil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I honestly don't think many or any of us here use bread machines. Look for some manuals to see which can handle nutted breads etc. Google will be your friend.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It says that the stand mixer has limitations regarding tough dough i.e. bagel and large batches but is good for attachments and being "good enough". Ankasarum mixers are apparently great for 100% rye and gluten free though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

The thing is, I have a ceramic baker already. Produces loaves like this:

The thing is, I can't pre-heat it like a cast iron dutch oven. My question is "is the pre-heating worth it?" at this point.

uh why can't you preheat?

but yes, preheating is important for spring but your bread looks pretty good in the ceramic. The 3.2 qt lodge combo cooker is something you should have regardless imo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Iirc the breadtopia design is full glazed to help against thermal shock. You should probably get some cast iron.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pulled the trigger on an Ankarsrum :getin:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No idea but the black chrome for the new model is at 650 rather than 700.

/e- a slickdeals search shows no hits for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm assuming it doesn't heat up the dough as dramatically as the KA? I pulled the trigger after having to baby what was should have been a lazy lb loaf earlier this week. I've been watching the youtube videos to prepare and a ton of sourdough pizza will be my first thing. How well does an autolyse period work with it?