Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Those are beautiful.

Absolutely. They look incredible. Mazel tov!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Braggo posted:

I made the sourdough pretzel recipe from The Perfect Loaf today (here) Need to work on shaping but the recipe is a winner. The lye bath makes a huge difference and is way better than baking soda ones like I've done in the past. Just make sure to double glove so you don't get a small chemical burn like me...

3/12 because they went pretty quickly while warm from the oven.

Man, those look absolutely incredible.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

Looking for ideas for what to bake for my son's school.

• Needs to be able to be consumed straight, no cutting of spreading etc.
  • Individual servings (like a bun or a roll.)
  • Not crazy unhealthy.
  • Ideally not making a huge mess.
  • Bonus points for something that can be prepped ahead of time and just baked in the morning.

Imma need about 25 pieces.

Something like a cheesy bread that you break off individual portions (I can’t recall the term right now)?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

Thanks for the advice and kind words, goons. To spite that motherfucker of a pane bianco, I made a scaccia, which turned out ugly, but very tasty.

A great combination of that bitter charred spots, the sweet sauce, and a little funk from the cheese. Well worth it. Plus it was the first time I've actually gotten pizza dough to windowpane in the KitchenAid mixer. Took 15+ minutes at speed 3, but it worked!

Word on the street is that kneading with a KA should only be done on speed two: it's geared for that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EightFlyingCars posted:

tangzhong is wizard poo poo

I really must try that when my kitchen is usable again and I have an oven.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

more holes, more even crust, easier kneading

recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2-6Ps2Hcc

If you want easier kneading I (as always) strongly recommend the no-knead method. Excellent results for minimal effort.
I’d also maybe give your bread a slightly ringer proof and a higher temp

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

Should I buy a bread machine

I like the idea of throwing poo poo into a pot and pressing a button and getting bread out without any of the mess involved in mixing and kneading bread.

No. You will find the results unsatisfying. For almost the same amount of effort but much better results go no-knead. That’s what a bread machine did for me: got me into no-knead.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did few loaves in one, decided I wanted to shape and manage it myself, and then used it just to knead. After it burnt out, I got a 1930's Hobart 5-gallon mixer from Craigslist.

I'm saying it escalates very quickly.

Yeah, I use my KA if I need to knead

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

The way I make bread most of the time is: I knead it in the mixer, let it proof in the bowl it keaded in, clear a space on the counter to shape it and then let it second-proof in the tin. If you're using a fairly low hydration dough (this is 58%) then there shouldn't be much, if any mess. Unless you're doing something ridiculous like the 80% pizza dough I did last night, you don't need extra flour to knead even if doing it on the surface.

For me, I always have to tidy up a bit first, so the kitchen comes out cleaner than when I started. :v:

My standard white loaf is usually a boule and is made the conventional no knead method, but I like to make a dense sticky wholemeal using coarse flour and regular wholemeal flour, and this is pretty much the method I use. Although I just knock it back and put it straight into the tin, so I don’t even have the counter shaping step.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I haven't had an oven since June (renovations). I used to make all our bread including GF for my son. I miss it...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
try the free-from section for rice flour as its gluten-free.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

Scones are a quick bread, so they count in this thread, right?

How come my scones seem to come out more like a muffin and less like a dense scone?

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter (which is crumble and mix into the flour by hand)
2 teaspoons baking powder

All this gets mixed well together, then I add:
1 egg
1/2ish cup blueberries.
Mix this together, ensuring the egg yolk is broken up. Then:

less than 1/2 cup milk. I only add a dash of milk at a time and mix, until it just starts to come together as a dough.

I put a generous tablespoon into my triangle scone pans, cook at 425 for 15ish minutes. Comes out good, but pretty risen. Like i said, more like a muffin than a scone.

[edit] Here's what I made this morning.

Sir Lemming posted:

My #1 question is where's the buttermilk? #2, where's the baking soda? The flour/sugar/powder ratio seems way off too. Wherever you got this recipe it just seems to be missing a lot of the really basic elements. Although I will say we've never used a scone pan, so I'm not sure how that affects it.

My wife makes scones all the time and this is the recipe she uses (for sweet berry scones, others have some variations):

3 cups flour (all-purpose)
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp baking soda
2½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp kosher salt
1½ sticks (¾ cup) unsalted butter
1¼ cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Then there's a mix of roughly 1-2 cups of mixed berries, and optionally some heavy cream and sugar to be brushed/sprinkled on top.

It sounds like you're probably doing the butter right, but just in case, make sure it's as cold as possible and you're cutting it into the dough without melting it. And then to shape them, basically the dough just gets gently shaped into a thick disc and then cut with a dough cutter.

Also notice no egg, though I'm not necessarily saying that's a requirement. Just posting what works for us.

I don’t know what the gently caress those are but they aren’t scones (at least as they are known in the UK). How would you eat those?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have tried both keeping it in the freezer and in the fridge. Same result.

What water are you using? Have you tried filtered or bottled?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This happens in milk as well as water.

Have you considered seeing an exorcist or similar to lift the curse placed on you and/or your residence?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

So there was a curse all along! Good job finding a way to bypass it!

I TOLD YOU!

tokin opposition posted:

Who's got two thumbs and got a stand mixer for Xmas? This gal.

Anyone have a recipe or suggestions for using a stand mixer?

Nice! I’ve got a KA and it gives a very specific setting for dough kneading. Check yours. The wrong setting is bad for the motor.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

null_pointer posted:

If only I had listened :gonk:

I am a veritable fount of wisdom.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't figure I'd get much yet. Its cold, yucky weather and there are probably not that many wild yeast floating around. The rubber band I have to measure any growth of the starter isn't showing any growth yet on day three. No big deal.

I purchased a cast iron enamled dutch oven from Amazon that said it was rated up to 500 degrees. When I got it today and opened it up, it said it was actually only up to 400 degrees. :/

I'm returning that poo poo and ordering another one that actually is rated to 500.

Most of the yeast will come from the flour itself, which is why people often use rye and/or wholemeal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxville posted:

Never thought to come here looking for a baking thread until just now. I’ve been mostly sourdough for the last couple of years, have had a few weeks of failures after trying to tweak some things so went back to my basic recipe at 70% hydration and managed to make probs it the prettiest loaf I’ve made yet.

I always struggle to get strength in the dough through stretches though, this one was using the slap and fold technique which worked well but I hated every minute of it for how messy it was for me. Next time will be in my crappy stand mixer.

Which prompts me to ask - who I’m this thread uses a mixer and what do you have? Thinking of upgrading soon and not sure whether to get a really good traditional style stand mixer e.g. a good Kitchenaid, or the Ankarsrum which I like the look of and is supposed to be great for bread dough.

I mostly use no knead, but when I do knead, then I use the KitchenAid. I also use it for general baking e.g. cakes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

effika posted:

If I do it no-knead without any extra yeast it just sits in the counter. If I add extra yeast it'll go in the fridge after four hours or so. The yeast keeps eating in the fridge and I don't want to over ferment it!

Yeah, if something affects my timing of when I’m going to be able to bake my no knead loaf, then into the fridge goes until I am ready. I haven’t had a proper oven since June and I really miss baking!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bagheera posted:

Recommend a good loaf pan for the home cook.

I use a Dutch oven for most of my breadmaking. Sometimes I want to make a loaf shape (like a Pullman loaf). My old loaf pan is now rusted out. I need a new one.

Probably any cheap loaf pan from Target will do the trick. I'm curious if anyone can recommend a higher quality loaf pan (maybe one with a lid to keep it steamy?).

i bought some Tefal ones a few years back that are excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That sounds like a no need for Katya with the overnight rise
That’s dictation for ya: no-knead focaccia

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

^ I hope your MIL pulls through! If you're looking for high calorie, cinnamon rolls are easy to make and extremely good, as long as neither of you are diabetic. You should try using your milk bread for cinnamon rolls!

Here's some awful stuff I made yesterday:

Cheese'n'Beans. Bread baked with cheese and baked beans on top. Tasted like pizza, but with baked beans instead of tomato sauce. They were delicious and I'm absolutely gonna make these again. The open ones were much better than the eggs.

Mount Branston. A big 💩of bread and branston pickle. Didn't taste of much, and smelt strongly of vinegar. Would have been much better with mince-pie filling.

St. Marmite's Wheel. Like cinnamon rolls, but marmite and cheese. I used too much marmite. The marmite lake around the edge was still gently bubbling when I took this picture.

We ate half of St. Marmite's Wheel before we had to stop and go down several pints of water. My partner insisted on cutting up the remaining rolls this morning, chipping the shiny marmite/cheese shell off the bottom and then turning them into croutons, which were actually pretty good.

Make bread, it's fun and easy!

Depraved. The Tesco Marmite equivalent is easier to spread and less intense, so might work better for things like this.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

I broke a good set of scales and the next one I bought is much worse, so I'm trying to learn how many teaspoons of salt bread wants. It's not one half, I'll tell you that. I might triple it.

For about 500g of flour I usually use about 1 tsp

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

I've recently been baking chocolate chip buns - a fairly normal dough, not high hydration.

Compared to my normal sourdough bread, I feel that the rise/fermentation goes much slower. I have two theories as to why that is:

1) The dough contains about 10% (baker's percentages) butter, the fat content somehow slows things down
2) I form the buns right after mixing, and they spend the night on a stone countertop at roughly 22C. This acts as a heat sink, counteracting the heat generated by the exothermic process that is bulk fermentation, thus lowering the working temperature for the yeast cells, slowing the process down.

However, the dough also contains about 10% sugar, which should be a nice and carby snack for the little yeastiebeasties.

I read somewhere that sourdough in sweet doughs works slower, but there was no arguments given as to why.

Bonus question: I like to cover my buns with cling film dusted with flour, so they don't dry out. Problem is, it still sticks to the dough. I have some plastic proofing trays from Ooni that I've tried covering the buns with, but they're too small. Ideas?

Cling film is sticky stuff( try cotton or linen towels dusted with flour? We here in the UK would call a tea towel or a kitchen towel, not a bath towel!

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 23, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
An interesting article about bread's divisiveness. UK focused but generally applicable.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/mar/20/britains-bitter-bread-battle-what-a-5-sourdough-loaf-tells-us-about-health-wealth-and-class

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SLOSifl posted:

Made some pretzels, they turned out great

Incredible. Looks professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hopes Fall posted:

I recently learned about the existence of the Double Italian Hitdog, which I now feel honor bound to try.

Two hotdogs cooked in oil (in which hot peppers were marinating) and topped with potatoes, and sauteed peppers and onions, and then wrapped in pizza dough instead of a bun.

MODS??!!