Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Like everybody else in America, I've gone back to bread baking. I used to make a lot of bread, but the effort of kneading wore me out. I'm better now. Anyway, I picked up two new-to-me techniques that gave a gorgeous oven spring and crust.

1. Clay bread cloche. I lucked into a clay Romertopf at a thrift store, and I am treating it as if made of fairy wings. Soak just the top lid, and you get all the steam your crust could hope for.
2. Cold-oven baking. No, really. Do your second rising in the pot you usually use for Lahey's no-knead bread. Cold oven baking. When risen, slash, cover, and put into a cold oven. Set oven to 450/425 if you have a convection oven. The oven spring is amazing, and you don't lose any of the rise when transferring from bannetons/bowl to the final pot. I was skeptical, but I tried it and am sold.

The first time around I lined the pan with parchment; this time I forgot didn't bother. Will report back if it turns out it would have been necessary.

In unrelated news, the three different "use up your sourdough discard" recipes I tried were disasters. (King Arthur flour blueberry muffins, somebody else's blueberry crumb cake, somebody else's sourdough tortillas.) I think I'm going to stick to waffles or pancake batter from here on.

Awww. What a fine baby. When he gets older I am sure he'll want to help knead; we have a picture of my toddler being held in the air with her hands above the dough.

e: Yeah, should have used the parchment. Melted a plastic spatula freeing the bread from the pot. Oops. Still pretty, though.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is a fascinating kneading technique. Ten minutes of it would count as your aerobics for the day, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh niiiice. What's your recipe for pitas?

My first few sourdough loaves have been tasty but too fine-textured: fine as sandwich bread. I tried leaving the dough more lax/sticky, and it opened the grain some but not a lot; none of those nice big eyes left by bubbles. This has been an issue both with cold-baked bread and with bread-stone bread with steam spritzing.

Is it likely that I'm not letting the second rise run long enough? That I'm overhandling the bread in transferring it from peel to oven? Other?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I got my husband a propane-fired high-temperature pizza oven for Christmas. I was planning on naan, but pita sound fabulous, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was making that very sticky, very gluten-developed sourdough donut recipe. While scraping and folding, I managed to cut my left forefinger. With the bench knife. Which is a hardware-store bench knife, at least 20 years old, and is fricking blunt.

Hey, person who recommended the sourdough donut recipe, did you retard the first rise, the rise after shaping the donuts, or both?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was going to suggest that, then it occurred to me that it might make the bottom crust not crispy enough. I've been using parchment in my cold-oven breads, and it works very well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy poo poo, people are scalping yeast. One-pound block of Saf-Instant for $20 on Amazon. (King Arthur is sold out of all kinds of yeast.) My jar will run out and then it'll be sourdough-only instead of yeast-boosted. But my instant gratification!

e: And it isn't at my local grocery stores.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

No pictures, but I finally found a sourdough-discard recipe that came out perfect. Epicurious's Sourdough Biscuits. Reminds me of my childhood.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mine currently lives on the table top because I am in the first passionate weeks of sourdough EVERYTHING EVERYDAY.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche or challa

I haven't made it at home yet, but commercial milk bread makes fantastic toast. (There isn't any milk in it; it starts with a kind of roux.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

(You don't have to use (and probably can't find) their branded flour, but it's good stuff.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which, any suggestions on what to do with discard? I'm really cringing throwing this much flour away right now, given that everyone's loving panic buying it everywhere and it's hard as gently caress to get and I don't want to go grocery store to grocery store looking for it.

Right now my discard doesn't rise at all so there's that too. I made a little almost loaf last night to see if I could get it to do anything and meh, it was just a ball of glue this morning. Would have made maybe slightly sour hard tack.

These biscuits are amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've been doing a cold-oven variant on Dutch oven baking. It works like a charm. Best crust I've ever had, great oven spring, and it means you can do the final rise in the Dutch oven, thus preserving as much loft as possible. I've done this two (three? Time has no meaning) weeks running and the results are wonderful.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/cold-oven-baking/

quote:

put the dough into the cold baking vessel and score;

put the pot with the dough in into the cold oven;

turn the oven on, turn the heat up to 220C/425F fan/convection or 230C/450F non fan/convention.

Total time in the oven 55-60 mins.

Lid on the entire time.

I have a question. The only flour I can find locally is whole wheat. How do I adjust the hydration in my sourdough loaves to compensate? I understand that bran tends to absorb water. For now I can do half and half bread flour and whole wheat, but my existing bag of bread flour won't last forever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Parchment paper. Sorry, I forgot to mention that step. I don't cut it to shape, I just stuff it in, because I am lazy.

Well, I just had my first full-on failure; had to happen eventually. I was making Crust and Crumb's San Francisco sourdough, and I (unknowingly) overrose it last night. Went to the back fridge and the loaves had fallen; if I baked them, I'd get bricks. Ah, well, live and learn.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The focaccia looks wonderful.

A friend of mine asked what I'd like for my birthday present and said he'd even visit stores for me. I told him not go to to multiple stores, but I would really really like some white flour. He phoned around, including to a couple of bakeries, hit Costco at the geezer's hour, and dropped off a 25-lb bag of their generic. Best. friend. ever. Also he says he has a line on a local market that may be selling bulk bakery flour in a few weeks, and he'll let me know.

So nice to be able to feed the sourdough or make multiple loaves without anxiously eyeing the remaining supply.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

King Arthur Flour has what looks like a sensible one.

I wish to complain. Last night I reached for a loaf of my bread to cut a slice, and I got a splinter in my finger that drew blood. I mean, really.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Protip: Use their shaping technique, but make challah instead.

Challah is the superior sandwich structural component every time.

Braided hot dog buns? Interesting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Unique little snowflake that I am I've got a sourdough starter on the go. Started 50/50 bread flour and water, 100g each. Day two saw some bubbles, topped up about 50g each. Today I've seen the level go up maybe an inch over the morning, and fed with 25g each. I've not discarded any yet, definitely will but I'm aware of the quantity I'll need for loaves, and also that we've not seen flour in stores for a while. Is it okay to retain this much whilst feeding?

I'm pleased with progress so far, very noticeable rise this morning and it started to smell like weird yoghurt.

Discarding is very important because otherwise the sourdough dies in its own waste products.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

By the way, speaking of discard recipes, I found a sourdough pancake one that doesn't require an overnight rise, but still has a lovely sourdough flavor. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/my-top-3-leftover-sourdough-starter-recipes/ theperfectloaf.com is in general a pro click.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That is a beautiful loaf, Cyrano. I'm envious; I haven't gotten my technique right to get voids in the crumb yet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

large hands posted:

Next time I'm going to put the loaf in the cold pot in the oven for the preheat and start the timer when it's up to temp. I'll put a tray on the lower rack, too.
No, seriously. Don't preheat. Put it in the cold oven, set oven to 450, bake. Best crusts I have ever gotten, and lovely oven spring.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Eeyo posted:

A while back I got a big rectangular clay baker from the King Arthur store and I tried the cold baking thing. It worked relatively well, but the crust was always way too thick. The same would happen when I would put it in a pre-heated oven too. I was baking about 425 for either approach. What kind of crust texture would you get with your cold-baked loaves? I got one that I’d describe as “crunchy”, and there’d be at least a millimeter of coloration going into the loaf.
Huh. Mine has been closer to a sheet of paper than a sheet of cardboard, the kind that's at the back of a tablet. (sorry, head cannot metric today) I'll take pictures when my next loaf is sliced. I am used to the Bay Area "artisan-style" loaf that does have a crunchy crust, though; crunchy but not dry. Did you soak the top of the baker in water? I do that, and it's been good. (I soak by filling it 2/3 way with water a half an hour or so before baking.)

Liberation! I had two quarts of sourdough starter going which is TOO MUCH and causes way too much discard. I was working from Crust and Crumb, which assumes you want to make four loaves at a time. I do not want to make four loaves at a time. So now my starter lives in a tidy little pickle jar, leading to a very manageable cup of discard a day, and can be temporarily sized up if I ever really do need two cups of fed starter in a day

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My heavy-lidded Le Creuset is what I call a dutch oven? If the proportions are roughly what you'd use for a stew, it's a dutch oven.

Hey, Cyrano, I'm following the recipe you recommended, and it made a very sticky dough that I kneaded a lot of flour into before I could shape it into a ball. I went in for the third set of folds and it had slumped down into a puddle in the bottom of the bowl. It doesn't stay stuck to my hands, but it's still very sticky and doesn't much want to hold a shape. Is it like that, or should I add in flour until it has more structure?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What's FWSY?

Man, all my lifelong lessons and intuition about how slack and sticky bread dough should be have gone completely out the window with autolysed dough. This is gonna be a learning curve.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I got that for Christmas! I think I've done one recipe from it; should haul it out and try another.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fascinating!

Is the dough from this recipe supposed to have doubled overnight? If so, Imma let it come to room temp, then knead in a small amount of water/yeast. The last time I baked a flat-looking sourdough, I got flat bread. Still working on that final proof.

Save yourselves; it's too late for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you want your bread to taste like beer, make beer bread. Seriously. Putting beer in your starter is just going to confuse the poor unhappy starter mess up its biochemistry without imparting much taste.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was going to recommend the one I bought and was pleased with, but Amazon is sold out with no restock date. I searched Ebay to see if they had the same brand (Bread Art). Although they don't, I did learn that there exist triangular bannetons. Huh.

I was zonked last night, so that day's sourdough loaf was c/o the bread machine and this King Arthur recipe. Tasted like sourdough, yay. I skipped the sugar, and the lowest recommended amount of water turned out to be way too much. It's a straightforward easy sandwich loaf, though, so I'll put it into the rotation and stop buying commercial sandwich bread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're interested in baking things other than French-style and artisanal breads, I highly recommend Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. (He covers the artisanal styles, too, but he goes wider than them.) Inter-library loan it and see if it's your thing. Clayton covers everything from biscuits to brioches to sandwich bread. Every recipe has instructions for making by hand, by mixer, and by food processor. (I've never made yeast dough in a food processor, but some do.)

The New York Times has a lovely obit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just had a perfect moment.

Went out into the backyard to grab rosemary so I could make crackers out of my way-too-big sourdough discard bowl. While fighting the bees for the rosemary tips, I saw a hummingbird feeding from the roses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Man, you guys' lame work is next level. (The knife lame, not the pejorative lame.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have come to realize that the real purpose of my starter is to make King Arthur rosemary-sourdough crackers. Occasionally I make a loaf of bread, as a treat. Today I'm doing a Romano/smoked paprika variant of the crackers; will report back.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I invented these this afternoon, and they were good.

Sourdough Romano Paprika Crackers

This is a mash-up of the King Arthur Flour sourdough-rosemary crackers and a recipe for Asiago Bat Crackers from the Wisconsin Cheese marketing site. All portions approximate. My starter is at 75% hydration.

Per 200 grams of starter:
100 grams flour, add more until it's stiff enough to roll out. I wound up adding a LOT of flour; next time I'll weigh it as I go along, so I know the total. I suspect it may have been close to equal weight with the starter.
200 grams (7 tablespoons) softened butter. I recommend whapping it with a rolling pin. So satisfying.
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
3/4 tsp Aleppo pepper
50 grams grated Romano (fluffy grated, not coarse shreds or sandy)
1/2 tsp salt; I used coarse sea salt, which has a nice crunch.

Olive oil and more coarse salt for topping.

Mix thoroughly. Pat into rectangles about 1/2 inch thick, dust each rectangle with flour to avoid sticking, pile rectangles on a dish, cover in plastic or foil, and chill for an hour, or until coherent enough to work. Overnight is fine.

If you have one, drag out the pasta machine. Cut the rectangles of dough into pieces narrow enough to fit the opening of your pasta machine. Run through on the thickest setting, then lay out the strips on a piece of parchment paper. I usually have to run dough through the machine four or five times to get it to hold together and flow smoothly. Because of all the fat, this is a very friable dough, but if you work it enough, it will come together. Adding a little olive oil helps here, as I discovered when I rerolled some I'd already brushed with olive oil. If the dough sticks to itself while coming out of the pasta machine, brush oil inside the folds of the sheet of dough as it comes out of the machine and let it fold back and forth on itself.

Lay strips of dough out on a piece of parchment paper in a sheet pan. As you lay down each strip, brush the top generously with olive oil to keep it from drying out. Once the pan is covered in strips, sprinkle coarse salt across the strips, then cut the strips widthwise into ~~ 1.5" pieces.

Bake in 350 F degree oven. Start checking at 15 minutes; the crackers are done when they're slightly brown at the edges. Shake a little more paprika over crackers while still hot. Cool and keep in one of those annoying decorative tins people keep giving you at Christmas.

Substitutions.
* Any hard gratable cheese would do; I used Romano because (A) I had it and (B) it's softer than Parmesan. The recipe I stole the seasoning mix from used Asiago.
* Plain paprika for smoked paprika. But buy smoked paprika next time you get a chance, because it is awesome.
* Crushed red peppers for Aleppo. Aleppo pepper is a crushed pepper with a smoky taste, and a lot of heat in the aftertaste. It sneaks up on you.
* If you don't have a pasta maker, grab the chilled dough and roll it out to 1/16th inch thick on a sheet of parchment paper. Good luck with that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just followed foodbod's basic sourdough recipe precisely and *wow* is it worth it. drat. It may be a two (three) day loaf of bread, but it's a magnificent loaf. I've realized from listening to y'all that I've been treating my starter like buttermilk: use it when you feel like using it. Working out that you use it when it's at peak usability is going to take some thought. I infinitely prefer stretch-and-fold to slap-and-fold.

What's the thread's favorite sourdough cinnamon roll?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

When my loaves fall, it is often because I let the last rise go on too long. One tell-tale sign, if you're slashing, is that the loaf falls a bit when you slash it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wah. I wanted to bake yesterday or today, and it's in the 90s (85 when I woke up, so baking in the morning doesn't make sense) and we don't have air conditioning. Usually I love that the sitting room and the kitchen are combined, but it does mean that baking heats up both of them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pttttthbttt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Very pretty! Yeah, the microwave makes a great proofing box.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I saw a food blogger recommending Lodge cast-iron loaf pans. Unsurprisingly, she has an affiliate link, so. Is there any advantage to heavy heat-retaining pans for sandwich loaves, or is the usual thin Teflon-lined kind better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Imo, neither. You want something sturdy that won't easily deform, but light enough to not be a pain to use. I really like the USA Pans.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/USA+Pan/page/D6278A43-59AD-4BF4-BB78-57B42EAC7436?ref_=ast_bln

Argh, I didn't say what I meant. "Thin" as compared to cast iron.